Start by marking “Mistress by Midnight (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mistress by Midnight (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #3)

Mistress by Midnight (The Scandalous Women of the Ton #3)

A wicked duke’s bed is no place for a lady…

Lady Merryn Fenner is on a mission to ruin the Duke of Farne. A beautiful bluestocking with a penchant for justice, Merryn has waited twelve years to satisfy her revenge against Garrick Farne. Her family name had been tarnished at his hands, her life destroyed.

For twelve years Garrick, Duke of Farne has kept the secret of what rea
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published November 23rd 2010 by HQN Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress by Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress by Midnight

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Jan 21, 2011 Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* rated it it was amazing
Nicola Cornick's wonderful combination of star-crossed lovers, hidden secrets, life-threatening danger and delightful touches of humor make MISTRESS BY MIDNIGHT an unforgettable read.

Lady Merryn Fenner hates Garrick Northesk, the new Duke of Farne, because ten years ago he killed her adored brother, Stephen, in a duel over Garrick's wife, Kitty. A private investigator, Tom Bradshaw, approaches Merryn with evidence to suggest that no duel actually took place and that, in fact, Garrick murdered he
Funmbi
Nicole
Publisher: HQN
Publish Date: 11/30/10
How I got this book: NetGalley

Lady Merryn was gently raised, but has a secret that no one knows. She has been working undercover as an inquiry agent, using her charms in the ballroom where her boss can't be. Her main goal is to take down the Duke of Farne, her older brother's former best friend, the man who allegedly shot him in a duel.

Garrick, the Duke of Farne has been living with an equally huge secret, and will do anything to make sure it never comes out
Nimue
Oct 15, 2011 Nimue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First I have to admit that I didn't read the first two novels in this series, but this didn't lessen my reading joy a bit. I'm a big fan of Nicola Cornick's writing and once again she didn't disappoint. This book is very amusing, with lively dialogues and interesting characters.

Merryn is a naive 25-year old noblewoman who is determined to revenge her dead brother, who was killed in a duel by Garrick Northesk. In contrast to most young women of the tom she isn't interested at all in balls, gifts
Cassia
Jan 22, 2012 Cassia rated it really liked it
I love all Cornick's romances in the series of "Scandalous Ladies of the Ton"? Why? There are many reasons.

Characters. Women always suffer because of a bad family or marital's relationship. Most of Cornick’s heroes and heroines start their relationships thinking of being in lust and perceive they are in love only in the end (of course women usually know first). Heroes are always driven by duty and honor.

Plots. They are rich, never miss action and even some danger. You want to know not only how t
Sara
Nov 11, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
This started out iffy, but it really pulled together. The characters were good, the heroine was actually headstrong and intelligent in a believable and likable way (something very rare in romances), the the story moved along quickly.
I hate it when the sole conflict in a romance is one Giant Secret which either the hero or the heroine "can't" tell (but of course does at the end anyways), and the Big Secret got slightly irritating in this story as well. But at least the characters had a pretty go
Helen
Apr 09, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the Scandalous Women Of The Ton series and I am loving it. This one is the story of Lady Merryn and The Duke of Farne both tortured and their lives intertwined for many years. Nicola has taken me on an adventure filled with emotion passion and honour.
I loved it
Titinha Scaeiro
Gostoi... Gostei... Gostei... ^_^
Gemma
Mar 17, 2012 Gemma rated it really liked it
At last, a book that has big secrets that doesn't leave the reader going, "That's it?!" when they're finally revealed.
Amarilli Settantatre
Mar 30, 2017 Amarilli Settantatre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Inizio carinissimo. Adorabile coppia. Questa serie continua a regalarmi soddisfazioni.
Eva
„Mistress by Midnight“ is the 3rd novel in the „Scandalous Women of the Ton“ by Nicola Cornick and a really great novel. First of all I have to say that I love the cover art of this series, this Mira edition. They are romantic and fit the novels perfectly without being trashy like so many other romantic paperbacks.
Merryn Fenner is the youngest sister of the Fenner sisters – the scandalous Tess (married three times already and three times a widow) and Joanna. But is several years younger and has
Chanpreet
Jun 18, 2011 Chanpreet rated it it was ok
There are many themes that I find myself enjoying. The "revenge" theme is one of them. There is just something about seeing two people falling in love and overcoming this gigantic hurdle of hate between them. After all, it is said that there is a thin line between love and hate. However, for some reason I wasn't able to fully immerse myself in the story and enjoy it.

Lady Merryn Fenner is the youngest of four siblings. She lost her idol and older brother Lord Stephen Fenner when she was 13 years
Mary Gramlich
Nov 18, 2010 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
Historical Romance at its very best is written by Nicola Cornick

Garrick Charles Christmas Northesk, The Duke of Farne is dealing with the relief of his father’s death, the burden of gaining the title of Duke, the guilt even after all these years of having killed his best friend and the annoyance of that man’s sister who is attempting to have him tried for murder after all these years. Lady Merryn Fenner is a wisp of a woman who has made it her mission in life to have Garrick brought up on charge
Carolyn  Storer
“Mistress by Midnight” is the third book in the ‘The Scandalous Women of the Ton’ series by Nicola Cornick, and the best so far in my opinion. Although the format is very much the same with each novel I really enjoy Cornick’s style of writing, it’s very easy to read and her stories seem to suck me in from the first chapter. She is fast becoming one of my favourite historical romance authors.

Our heroine is Merryn Fenner, a young woman in her early twenties who is quite different from the other la
April
Jan 16, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
MISTRESS BY MIDNIGHT by Nicola Cornick is a wonderful historical romance set in 1814 London. It is the third in the "Scandalous Women of the Ton",(#1 Whisper of Scandal,#2 One Wicked Sin") but can be read as a stand alone. It is well written with depth,details,fast paced, page turning and the plot is easy to follow with twists and turns. It has romance,passion,secrets,regrets,witty banter between the hero and heroine,action,danger,sweet sensuality, healing,redemption desire,vengeance, a vendetta ...more
Katie Michaels
Oct 11, 2011 Katie Michaels rated it liked it
Merryn has devoted the last decade of her life to learning the details of her brother's death and plotting to make his killer pay. It's common knowledge that Stephen died in a duel at the hands of his friend Garrick. Stephen had been having an affair with Garrick's wife, who also died young. Garrick left town in the scandal, but now that he has returned, Merryn intends to find proof that something was amiss at that duel... and she won't rest until she finds justice.

There is, indeed, more to the
Isabel  Almeida (Os Livros Nossos)
Leia a Crítica completa no Blog Os Livros Nossos:

" A autora soube criar e alimentar, no decurso de toda a obra, um delicioso clima que oscila entre o mistério (com diversas revelações inesperadas) e a enorme tensão sexual e também emocional que surge entre o casal protagonista.

O suspense permite que fiquemos presos ao livro, com o objectivo de desvendar todos os mistérios, e além da acção central, ainda podemos encontrar os habituais detalhes sociais da é
Daisy
Oct 11, 2011 Daisy rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I liked that in this romance novel there was actually a real reason for the two main characters to have problems. Because, really, if you believed a man killed your brother, you wouldn't be all over him either.

And Merryn isn't, she just can't seem to help herself, though if this were the real world I'd imagine it would give her many a worry-wrinkle ;) And I just loved Garrick. He was so noble and manly and just swoonworthy. I love when the men are swoonworthy.

I'd guessed what the secret Garrick
Kimberly Walter
Feb 16, 2013 Kimberly Walter rated it it was amazing
Merryn is set out to expose the truth of what happened between Garrick the Duke of Farne, Kitty the Duchess of Farne and Stephen her brother twelve years earlier, that resulted in the death of her brother. She is convinced that Garrick killed her brother in cold blood murder.
Garrick is doing everything he can to prevent Merryn from finding the truth from horrible tragedy twelve years ago, in order to keep innocents safe from hurtful truths that would ruin them.
But neither of them was prepared
Highland-dreamer
Jul 23, 2011 Highland-dreamer rated it liked it
Joy
Dec 11, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Cornick is hit-or-miss with me but this one was closer to a hit than a miss. The heroine, an inquistive intellectual bent on revenge for her brother's death, investigates his slayer--a man she used to love. Who is in turn maddeningly attracted to her. And then there is a big, and I mean big, flood of beer, trapping them together. Amazing, but the beer flood, the most preposterous part of this romance, is the one event in the book that actually happened in real life. A romance on the better side ...more
Kit★
Dec 03, 2010 Kit★ rated it really liked it
This one in my opinion was the best of the series so far. I really liked Merryn, and related to her very easily. Garrick was a great hero too, and was very well-written. I could clearly understand his motives, and adored his attraction to Merryn, it was awkward and unwanted but burned them both up. The little bit of mystery of the truth behind her brother's death and the things that happened in the past kept the pace quick for me. I really want to find more by this author, I like her style.
Judith
Dec 09, 2010 Judith rated it really liked it
One of those stories where the main characters starting out hating each other. Usually I get tired of this plot scenario REAL FAST, but Ms Cornick has written such a good novel and the flow of the story is so very good, that I was carried along without the usual irritation over the on-going fight. One of those historicals that is so romantic and really lots of good sizzle. Ended up loving it, don't you know?
Steffanie
Jun 24, 2012 Steffanie rated it really liked it
Not as good as "Notorious" but a great read, all the same. The main female character is a little frustrating and acts like a child but I', guessing that this is the reason the male lead falls for her. Towards the end of the book she matures, which is very comforting and satisfying for the reader. I must read the rest of the series, now!!!
Elizabeth Bailey
Aug 17, 2012 Elizabeth Bailey rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Actually finished some time ago but didn't update my info here. This was a terrific finale to the trilogy of Scandalous Women. I loved the whole lot and this last one was brilliant. An unusual heroine and an unexpected hero. The climax was cleverly done and thrilling from first to last. I thoroughly recommend reading all three books.
1950s PinUp
Jan 19, 2014 1950s PinUp rated it really liked it
Shelves: corsets-gowns
This was a very good book. I can't wait to read the next one in this series. I absolutely "loved" Merryn. I liked how the author made her character. So, far the 3 books in this series I have read did not disappoint. I hope it continues, that way.
Kimberly Van Meter
Aug 31, 2011 Kimberly Van Meter rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The author's writing style is crisp and I enjoyed the author's strong grasp of language. For the first time in years, I found myself looking up the definition of a word and that was refreshing! The plot was engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed the story overall.
Ilze
Feb 04, 2012 Ilze rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this book up to the explosion. However, once the h/h were rescued from that, melodrama took over and severely reduced my enjoyment of the book. So - 4 stars for the first part, 2 stars for the last part gets a 3-star average rating.
Joanne
Feb 04, 2011 Joanne rated it really liked it
I loved this book......Merryn Fenner wants to ruin the Duke of Farne. She's a bluestocking and want revenge for her brother's death 10 yrs ago. She blames the Duke for her brother's death.

Did he kill her bro or not? Read it, it's great!! Love, romance, has it all.
  • Suddenly
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Prelude to a Scandal (Scandal, #1)
  • The Dangerous Mr. Ryder (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #1)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2)
  • To Catch a Rogue
  • How to Wed a Baron (Daughtry Family, #4)
  • A Bride By Christmas: Home For Christmas\ The Wise Virgin\ Tumbleweed Christmas
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)
  • Scandalizing The Ton
  • Simply Scandalous
  • Lady in Waiting (Featherton Sisters, #2)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • The Glitter and the Gold (Love, #10) (Endearing Young Charms, #4)
  • The Mercenary's Bride
  • Pickpocket Countess
International bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes romantic historical mysteries and witty and passionate Regency romance. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Nicol
More about Nicola Cornick...

The Scandalous Women of the Ton (6 books)
  • Whisper of Scandal (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #1)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • Notorious (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #4)
  • Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5)
  • Forbidden (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #6)