Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy

Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This revision of Gerald Corey's best-selling text introduces students to the major theories of counseling (psychoanalytic, Adlerian, existential, person-centered, Gestalt, reality, behavior, cognitive-behavior, family systems, feminist and, NEW to this edition, post-modern approaches) and demonstrates how each theory can be applied to a single case ("Stan"). Reviewed by 27...more
Hardcover, (with Web Site, Chapter Quiz Booklet, and InfoTrac ), 576 pages
Published April 9th 2004 by Wadsworth Publishing Co Inc (first published January 1st 1977)

darrienmichael
May 12, 2007 darrienmichael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychology students.
Good for its intended purpose as a master's level text book. I will likely keep it and refer to it as needed.
Carolynne
I think that Corey is a very inappropriate author for textbooks. Rather than presenting theoretical concepts in an objective manner and allowing students to draw their own conclusions, Corey injects his own biases, in many cases using the words I value, I question, from my perspective, etc. His ,opinions, questions and values have no place in a textbook.
Catherine
I normally hate text books, but this one is one I actually enjoyed reading. It is also one of the initial books that made me interested in counseling. it is a MUST READ.
Emily
It was a decent textbook, but way, way too much emphasis on the author's personal philosophy of counseling. This might not have bothered me much, except that he seems to really heavily favor psychoanalysis and dream analysis, which don't have a lot of empirical evidence supporting them. Too much woo-woo in this book for my tastes, so to speak.
Stella
Great overview of the various theories of psychotherapy! It was actually an enjoyable and extremely informative read...however, I think I would have enjoyed it more had there not been a six week time limit placed on reading it. It's difficult for me to give a textbook 5 stars, but this one is definitely top-notch!
Heather
This has to have been one of my favorite text books to read. It was informative, conversational, and really made it easy to learn the various approaches to therapy. This is a GREAT starting point in developing my own personal brand of therapy. I'm really glad to have read this for class.
Amy
I am going to miss Stan. He was the best part of this book. A descent over view of all current theories, however it doesn't give you a good feel for the theories. I found myself having to find several other books to answer questions I had. Very general.
Leilanit7
Excellent book! Corey does a great job explaining theories and is precise in showing what each look like in a counseling session. Read many reviews that listed this book as a study guide for the licensing exam.
Trent Cunningham
Great for theoretical overviews and comparisons between the 11 different orientations the author covers. Very weak in case study / illustration (but I think there's some supplemental materials to cover that).
Sumit Gunjan
good for understand the concept of counseling and psychotherapy... then different psychotherapies and also helps in understanding the line of difference between counseling and psychotherapy..
Deanna Norris
Interesting textbook. Not saying I would read it in my spare time, but it was one of the better textbooks I have read. Will be an excellent resource in the years to come, I believe.
Janna Ladd
This is a great overview of the theories of counseling and psychotherapy. It is written in an easy to read format. I really enjoyed my study of Theory and Practice of Counseling.
Natalie
Nov 24, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Therapists, counselors, psychologists
Wonderful overview of all the different therapeutic styles. Was able to identify parts that I like from each style that I wish to integrate in my personal style.
Jeffreylibercajt
I learned that in all the psycotherapy theories, the therapist is helping the client gain trust. Each of the throries does it in a different framework.
Deborah
Fantastic! helped me through the latter stages of my counselling studies this year. I will be returning to this time and time again
Danny Bennett
The book is very basic as far as textbooks go. I did not get a whole lot out of it compared to other books I read for the class.
Janelle
Loved this book! Really enjoyed the videos showing how that theory would look being applied to a patient
saba
تمومش نکردم فعلن امتحانش رو دادم بعدن باید کلشو بخونم. خیلی گذرا گفته نظریه‌ها رو خوندنش تنهایی کافی نیس
Becca
Great overview of the divergent and contemporary approaches to counseling and psychotherapy
Alyssa
Required reading but can be applied to many different types of group work, not just therapy.
Tamara
Sep 18, 2013 Tamara added it
Very good overview of therapeutic techniques and theory for beginning counselors.
Michelle
A litte to much personal opinion for me, but still an interesting college book
Kim Blackham
I actually felt myself getting smarter. Not all textbooks accomplish that.
Marla
Loved the idea of an integrative approach to counseling
Joanna
I had to read this for school. I think it's a basic text
Erin Garibaldi
It's a theories book...do I need to say more?
chaula
mengenyangkan sekaligus menyenangkan ^^
Malan
Very insightful.
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • The New Peoplemaking
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Psychology, Theology, and Spirituality in Christian Counseling
  • Life-Span Development
  • Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
  • Neurosis and Human Growth: The Struggle Towards Self-Realization
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • The Mom Factor
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Choice Theory: A New Psychology of Personal Freedom
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions Theory & Practice of Counseling & Psychotherapy Theory and Practice of Group Counseling Groups: Process and Practice [With Infotrac] Student Manual for Corey's Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 7th

“If we are unable to tolerate ourselves when we are alone, how can we expect anyone else to be enriched by our company? Before we can have a solid relationship with another, we must have a relationship with ourselves. We are challenged to learn to listen to ourselves. We have to be able to stand alone before we can truly stand beside another.” 4 likes