Start by marking “The Breath of God” as Want to Read:
The Breath of God

The Breath of God (Opening of the World #2)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Once the great Glacier enclosed the Raumsdalian Empire. Now it’s broken open, and Count Hamnet Thyssen faces a new world. With the wisecracking Ulric Skakki, the neighboring clan leader Trasamund (politely addressed as Your Ferocity), and his lover, the shaman Liv, Hamnet leads an exploration of the new territory in hopes of finding the legendary Golden Shrine.

But dangers
Published December 23rd 2008 by Tor Books (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Breath of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breath of God

Dirk Grobbelaar
I wasn’t aware when I started reading this that it is actually the second book in a series. The author does fill the reader in, but I can’t help but wonder how much this affected my reading experience. For one thing, the character development here is rather lacking, and it is possible that the author fleshed them out sufficiently in book 1 (Beyond the Gap). I guess I’ll never know, since I don’t intend on going back to the first novel at this stage, if ever.
I do, however, own book three (The Go
Clay
There’s plenty of skilled writing in “The Breath of God” (Tor, $24.95, 335 pages), which is true of all of Harry Turtledove’s books. That said, Turtledove is not a “great” author, and you won’t get long descriptions of tea coming to a boil, or paragraph-long sentences that precisely describe the mental state of a somewhat neurotic young woman who’s in anguish about a) a confused love affair with an artist with suicidal tendencies, b) her relationship with her mother who’s dying of some dread dis ...more
Nick
This series isn't quite like his others, in that it is farther from any specific historical model than most, but it is still historically based, sort of. It takes place as an ice age is ending, and the change has reconnected lands that have been separated for many years by glaciers. Unfortunately, one side contained a violent, vicious culture...and then, there are the bad guys, on the other side.

Seriously, one difficulty that some readers will have is that there are only comparative good guys in
Ben Babcock
Abel
Excellent book easy reading and very enjoyable. Its another triology that is hard to put down. It has cost me a lot of sleep, due to contious pace and excitment.
Annie
Continuing the story from Beyond the Gap. The description is getting a little old, I know what smetyn is by now and don't need it reiterated every other chapter. I like some of the turns the plot is taking, going up on the glacier itself brings a whole new aspect to the narrative. It's still the basic journey story, but has held my attention and remained interesting, I'll read the next book in the series, whenever it happens to come out.
David R.
I was probably crazy to stick with this series. But I thought things might get more interesting in the second round. Regrettably, the characters became even more irritating to me and the book is a series of *long* hikes back and forth.
David
I'm not sure why I continue listening to this series. It's mildly entertaining but really one book delivered in three chunks. Frankly, Turtledove rambles a bit.
Gwen
Liked it enough to move on to the 3rd volume in the series...
Kione
Oh damn. this is the 3 book in that series.
Shit.
So what was the second book?
Dammit! It's not done.
So is there a 4th book...yet?
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who liked The Gap.
Another great series that Turtledove has created. I love the characters and the war with the Rulers is well done. I enjoyed this series.
Jake Moody
Listened to the audiobook and found it very enjoyable. Will have to look into more turtledove books
Kurt Vosper
Good conclusion to this two parter. Some great battles and some mythology come to life. Fun read.
Cathy Andrews
I don't think it's as good as his other books, I am getting bogged down in some sections.
I just wanted the characters to stop talking. I just wanted them to die. So bad.
Liviu
Sep 07, 2012 Liviu marked it as tried-but-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
loved the first book, but this is way too badly written to enjoy
Gary
As far as Alt. History goes, you can skip this one.
Robin Rousu
More mammoths, Visigoths, and sorcerers...
Sue
Part 2 of the trilogy.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Veith
Veith marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
wenchiebrat
wenchiebrat marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
ZeGingerQueen
ZeGingerQueen marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pirate Freedom
  • Slan Hunter (Slan, #2)
  • Mists of Everness (The War of the Dreaming, #2)
  • The Corridors of Time
  • Ice, Iron, and Gold
  • One Day on Mars
  • Chimera
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies: A Completely Scientific Guide to the Lives of the Undead
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
  • Email to the Universe and Other Alterations of Consciousness
  • Murder Melody (Doc Savage, #15)
  • Bones of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras, #1)
  • Bridge of Ashes
  • Aftershock
  • Grantville Gazette V (Grantville Gazette, #5)
  • Dragon's Ring
  • Ill Met in the Arena
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Opening of the World (3 books)
  • Beyond the Gap (Opening of the World, #1)
  • The Golden Shrine (Opening of the World, #3)
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)