Start by marking “The Shifters (The Keepers Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shifters (The Keepers Trilogy #2)

The Shifters (The Keepers Trilogy #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Charged with overseeing the shapeshifters of New Orleans, Caitlin MacDonald has her reasons for being wary of their kind. So when charismatic bounty-hunting shifter Ryder Malloy blows into town claiming to be on the trail of a horde of malevolent entities called Walk-Ins, Caitlin has no reason to trust him--with her city or her heart. But as tourists start dropping dead fr ...more
Paperback, Harlequin Nocturne #99, 281 pages
Published October 19th 2010 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Shifters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shifters

A Rush of Wings by Adrian PhoenixHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostIn the Blood by Adrian PhoenixBeneath the Skin by Adrian PhoenixEtched in Bone by Adrian Phoenix
Paranormal in New Orleans
142nd out of 221 books — 291 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClarePassion by Lauren KateI Am Number Four by Pittacus LoreUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
What will you read this year (2011)
365th out of 583 books — 422 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Keepers
Cindi
I loved the first book in this series, The Keepers by Heather Graham, and this one was no slouch either. I usually enjoy anything placed in New Orleans or the surrounding bayous :)

I am amazed how the writing styles feel so similar among the 3 authors of The Keeper series, when their "other" books do not.

In case you haven't read this series, there are 3 sisters in NOLA who are simiply human but are the facilitators among the Other species (vampire, shifter and were). Tradition has had them keep
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
The Shifters is the second book in a three book trilogy written by three different authors (Heather Graham, Deborah LeBlanc & Alexandra Sokoloff) which tells the tale of three sisters. All three sisters are Keepers of a different paranormal race (Vampire, Were, Shifter). The Shifters is book two in the trilogy & focuses on middle sister Caitlin.

Caitlin is the Keeper of the Shifters, they can shift into anything (human, vampire, were). When a horde of entities called Walk-Ins come to New
Natasja
New Orleans is the home of many supernatural beings and in order to keep the peace, there are keepers. One for each species, it’s an elite group of warriors charged to keep the peace between human and the three largest supernatural species, vampires, shape-shifters and the werewolves.

Caitlin McDonald is the keeper of the shape-shifters and just like her sisters she takes her job seriously. Caitlin has always been the lone-wolf and wants to work alone on any investigation regarding her group. Now
Carrie Hinkel-Gill
Apr 09, 2013 Carrie Hinkel-Gill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys paranormal stories.
review added 4/9/2013

I picked this book up because Alex wrote it. I found myself really entranced by her writing, and intrigued by the characters she created. This one does fall into romance as well as paranormal thriller.

While it's not as creepy as her horror stories, it's a decent read and I enjoy it. Being the second in a trilogy written by three different women - Heather Graham and Deborah LeBlanc wrote the other two books - didn't hamper my enjoyment of the story, nor did I feel as though
Kim
The Shifters is the second novel in the trilogy, this time focusing on the second oldest sister, Caitlyn MacDonald. Caitlyn is the Keeper of the shifters, and she has an obvious distrust of those she is sworn to protect. But she soon finds herself in a situation where, like or not, she must join forces with those she distrusts in order to save her city from bodiless entities who seek to destroy life. Unfortunately, time and time again, a true stubborn streak and the inability to ask for help get ...more
Murphy's Library
(from Murphy's Library - http://www.murphyslibrary.com/)

This second books got more my attention at first sight than the first one, but I had some problems with the fact that being the second in a trilogy written by different authors, I felt like the author had the need to reintroduce facts multiple times when we already knew things clearly from the first one.

It is normal to have some minor things reintroduced in series, but in this one it bother me a little, 'cause I felt like reading a big reco
Suspense Magazine
Alexandra Sokoloff brilliantly takes the reins in the second installment to The Keepers Series with the introduction of “The Shifters”. Some authors might falter when asked to follow in the footsteps of paranormal powerhouse, Heather Graham, but Sokoloff, with her extraordinary background in all things ghoulish, was clearly up to the task. Thrumming with sexual tension and holding tightly to the emotional draw—apprehension, anxiety and uncertainty—of her characters and genre, Sokoloff hones in o ...more
D Thomas
Back of the Book

Charged with overseeing the shapeshifters of New Orleans, Caitlin MacDonald has her reasons for being wary of their kind. So when charismatic bounty-hunting shifter Ryder Malloy blows into town claiming to be on the trail of a horde of malevolent entities called Walk-Ins, Caitlin has no reason to trust him—with her city or her heart. But as tourists start dropping dead from supernatural possession, Cait must team with Ryder to navigate his shadowy, ephemeral world…

Fiercely indepe
Lia

Contemplating between 3 and 4 stars.

Solokov is not a romance writer and it showed. Caitlin was a well developed, very disturbed character, but on the other hand, Ryder hardly showed any character development at all. It made the romance between the two main characters a bit hard to believe in.

However, I did prefer this book to the first one in the story: Solokov doesn't shy away from showing the darker side of life and it makes for a more realistic and gritty story. The added character
Dannielle
Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm reading this series. I knew in the last book that I wouldn't like Caitlin. But I thought with a different author writing Caitlin's book than who wrote Fiona's, maybe Caitlin would become a little more likable. Wrong. She's judgmental and opinionated. Which is a fine thing to be, but Cait takes it to extremes. She's downright rude to Jagger and Fiona, and she never apologizes. She doesn't listen to reason, and therefore puts her life at risk. And Ryder just takes it ...more
Jan
Caitlin McDonald is the middle sister of the McDonald clan and the keeper of the shapeshifters of New Orleans. As Halloween approaches, Bourbon Street swells with tourists and a new threat has arrived in the form of Walk-Ins, formless Others that take over humans and destroy them. These creatures have brought a new shapeshfter to town, a bounty hunter who wants to capture the leader of the walk-ins and the heart of Caitlin McDonald.

I enjoyed this quick and fun paranormal romance. It really captu
Monica
This second in the series was better than the first to me. I enjoyed the characters, although the women in both book one and book two definitely were not as "powerful" to me as a Keeper should be. They still need folks to rescue them it seems.

I still like the Keeper idea, and the writers (now two) are doing a wonderful job at writing in a way you can visualize New Orleans.

The only draw back I am still having with these books are the depth of the characters. Both books had the main characters f
Vicci
Complete Review Available At:

Nocturne Romance Reads

Review Excerpt:

“The Shifters" Book 2 of the Keepers series by Alexandra Sokoloff continues the exciting paranormal saga of “The Keepers”. Three unique women born into the MacDonald line of the other worldly beings, charged with the policing of the vampire, shifter and werewolf communities residing in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Debbie
Jan 30, 2011 Debbie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Debbie by: VA_half_pint@yahoo.com
My first time reading a Harlequin Nocturne.It was ok. Had a hard time staying with it, but I did and finished it. This is the second book to a 3 book trilogy. I didn't read the first book because I got this one and the third book from a friend who doesn't have the first book anymore. Even though I didn't care for it too much, I would probaly read more Nocturnes in the future if something catches my attention.

Donna Fowler
This was an enjoyable short read.
Ashley
I picked this book up from the library because I am a huge fan of Alexandra Sokoloff. I had no idea that it was part of a series and a special series at that. Each book in this trilogy is written by a different author. I am definitely intrigued in reading more about these characters, because I did really like them and the magic of New Orleans is hard for me to resist.
Ria Miller
I loved Heather Graham's The Keepers, and I loved this book by Alexandra Sokoloff. The story immerses you into the supernatural world located in New Orleans, and doesn't let you go, even after you finish the book! I look forward to reading the final book in this trilogy, and to get and read more books by Alexandra Sokoloff.
Carri
Jan 22, 2011 Carri added it
excellent 2nd book of the trilogy! Couldn't put it down! Love the setting in New Orleans and it was amusing that I read the mention of Steve Tyler on the night that American Idol aired the auditions in New Orleans with Steven Tyler as a judge... very ironic. Ready to start on the the third book now.
Margaret McCullough
The series is called The Keepers; each book deals with a specific sister and their particular "charges." This book was about the middle sister who is the protector of the shifters. It was just as good as the first one. No problems with the transition. Very good! Can't wait to read the final book.
Kathy
I liked this book better than the first one. I am gonna finish up the series. This one was written very well... Very impressed with the action and the other things in the story. Good plot, characters, etc.
I'd have to say that this book, the 2nd in THE KEEPERS trilogy, was only okay. I found the two main characters hard to like. I enjoyed the 1st book in the trilogy so much more. Hopefully the 3rd book will be better.
Amy
Jan 13, 2011 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no
The story had a good idea to it, but it all seemed a bit rushed, IMO. Hard to really get a grip on the characters and who they are, and whether they are important to you or not.
Eleni Konstantine
A great continuation. Though the term The Others popped up which I didn't notice in Heather's book. Then again was busy and so could be just me.
Suzie Quint
Pretty standard paranormal romance. Decently written but not exceptional. Disappointing if you've read the author's previous books.
Jolene
Three sister witches, New Orleans and a sexy shifter makes for a dark and dangerous read.
Michelle
I was a little confused with this one but I haven't read the first book in the trilogy.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Overall a good, fast read. This is the 2nd book as part of a 3 author trilogy.
Mara
A really weak heroine, whining through the story. Difficult to believe.
  • The Wolven (The Keepers Trilogy #3)
  • The Keepers (The Keepers Trilogy #1)
  • Shadow of the Sheikh (Immortal Sheikhs #2)
  • Incubus
  • The Vampire's Kiss (Valorian Chronicles #5)
  • Alaskan Wolf (Alpha Force #1)
  • Sentinels: Lion Heart (Sentinels #2)
  • Last of the Ravens
  • Lone Wolf  (The Pack #10)
  • Zombie Moon
  • Poisoned Kisses (Mythica #3)
  • Vanished (Guardians #3)
  • Aftershock
  • Vampire Vendetta (Vampire #2)
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Renegade Angel (Hearts of the Fallen 0.4)
  • Mistress of the Underground (Secret Vampire Society #4)
  • Fallen (Of Angels and Demons #2) (Harlequin Nocturne, #109)
I'm the Thriller Award-winning and Bram Stoker and Anthony Award-nominated author of the Amazon bestselling crime and supernatural thrillers The Harrowing, The Price, Book of Shadows, The Unseen, The Space Between, and the new Thriller Award- nominated Huntress/FBI thriller series: Huntress Moon, Blood Moon. The New York Times Book Review has called me "a daughter of Mary Shelley" and my novels "s ...more
More about Alexandra Sokoloff...
The Harrowing The Unseen Huntress Moon (Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1) Book of Shadows The Price