Start by marking “How to Raise Your Parents” as Want to Read:
How to Raise Your Parents

Sarah O'Leary Burningham

How to Raise Your Parents

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Being a teen (or the parent of a teen) doesn't have to be so hard. How to Raise Your Parents will help teens and their parents navigate those years between training bras and keys to the family car. In a voice teens will relate to and parents will appreciate, author Sarah O'Leary Burningham offers smart advice about negotiation and parental hot buttons and a little insight ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Chronicle Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise Your Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise Your Parents

Amy Diop
"How to Raise Your Parents: A Teen Girl's Survival Guide" is an awesome advice book. Some of the advice didn't really relate to my age group for example driving, high school, and getting a job. Even though I can use this book for resources when I'm older.
I recommend this book to every teenage girl who is having trouble with there parents if it comes to respect, the cell phone, your cyber life, convincing, privacy, and the type of music you listen to. This book will help. The some advice that t
Jodysegal
Sep 22, 2008 Jodysegal rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7th grade and Up
Written in the chatty, personal style of an advice column, How to Raise Your Parents: A Teen Girl’s Survival Guide offers surprisingly constructive and insightful advice to teens and parents alike. Using a mix of humor and hip appeal, candidness and common sense, Burningham helps teens navigate and negotiate their way through a range of topics they typically battle over with their parents. Sexuality questions, from how to get permission to date, bring home a boyfriend, come out to parents, or de ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Erikka Adams, aka "The Bookbinder" for TeensReadToo.com

Ever wonder what your mom or dad is thinking when they won't let you walk out of the house in a perfectly good outfit? Or how about when they come up with some crazy rule that doesn't make any sense?

And parents, what is your teen thinking when they choose a ropes course adventure summer camp over horseback riding? And what about those "trashy" books they read?

Welcome to the world of raising a parent....or, I mean, raising a tee
Arielwinter77
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A GIFT TO ALL TEENS AND TWEENS EVERYWHERE WITHOUT YOU I'D STILL BE GROUNDED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Erin
This book is like an overly long quiz from the likes of a fashion magazine. It is cliché in its dealings with teen parent relationships and is trivial at times with too much emphasis placed upon common stereotypes. In the book’s defence, there are great ideas and suggestions for ways teens can begin important and serious dialogues with their parents. It also provides some of the parental logic behind things parents might not always take the time to explain, such as curfew and ground rules for da ...more
Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books)
Apr 05, 2009 Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) by: Sarah O'Leary Burningham
A funny, down to earth book that every girl should read. It gives honest advice about almost everything a teen girl goes through with their parents. Parts of this make you laugh out loud, and other parts are sincere and should be taken seriously. It's got great tips on negotiation, curfew, cars, boys, computers, and all things that teens face.

Even if you have awesome parents (Like I do), you should read this book.
Lauren
I picked up this book out of curiousity about what it would say. The author had some interesting points on how to interact with parents, but I did not like how she often would tell kids how to act so they could get away with things.
Kelly
I really didn't read the book cover to cover but scanned it and think that it something I will come back to as my 2 daughters get a little older it is for Teens not tweens.
Glad I have it in my good reads bookshelf for the future.
Jolynn
I picked up this book because one of my best friends is the author. After reading several exerts out of it is the perfect book for teens. But it was also a good laugh because some of the things are so true.
Andrea Wilkinson
The first book my cousin's daughter, Sarah, wrote. Great book about helping teens see things from another person's point of view and learning the value of compromise.
Marta
Feb 22, 2013 Marta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lexi C
I think it is an enjoyable read, and it is something every teenage girl should be equipped with in the real world!!!
Suzanna Pinkley
hmm... very interesting...
Grace
For TEENAGERS!!!!!
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Siham
Siham marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Caryn Hill
Caryn Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Gizel
Gizel marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Dai
Dai marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
1120658
Even though I’m not technically a teenager anymore, I still consider myself a teenager at heart. I love stealing my sisters’ clothes and a good door slam, and since I write young adult books, I keep up on things cool through all the teenagers I know and meet.

I got the idea for my first book, How to Raise Your Parents: A Teen Girl’s Survival Guide, when I was 16. After coming home late for curfew (
More about Sarah O'Leary Burningham...
Boyology: A Teen Girl's Crash Course in All Things Boy Girl to Girl: Real Questions and Honest Answers about Growing Up