Start by marking “How to Raise Your Parents” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
How to Raise Your Parents

Sarah O'Leary Burningham

How to Raise Your Parents

Being a teen (or the parent of a teen) doesn't have to be so hard. How to Raise Your Parents will help teens and their parents navigate those years between training bras and keys to the family car. In a voice teens will relate to and parents will appreciate, author Sarah O'Leary Burningham offers smart advice about negotiation and parental hot buttons and a little insight ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Chronicle Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise Your Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise Your Parents

Amy Diop
Sep 26, 2012 Amy Diop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7th-grade
"How to Raise Your Parents: A Teen Girl's Survival Guide" is an awesome advice book. Some of the advice didn't really relate to my age group for example driving, high school, and getting a job. Even though I can use this book for resources when I'm older.
I recommend this book to every teenage girl who is having trouble with there parents if it comes to respect, the cell phone, your cyber life, convincing, privacy, and the type of music you listen to. This book will help. The some advice that t
Jodysegal
Aug 18, 2008 Jodysegal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7th grade and Up
Written in the chatty, personal style of an advice column, How to Raise Your Parents: A Teen Girl’s Survival Guide offers surprisingly constructive and insightful advice to teens and parents alike. Using a mix of humor and hip appeal, candidness and common sense, Burningham helps teens navigate and negotiate their way through a range of topics they typically battle over with their parents. Sexuality questions, from how to get permission to date, bring home a boyfriend, come out to parents, or de ...more
Myra
Apr 23, 2015 Myra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed, humor
Title:How to Raise Your Parents Author:Sarah O’Leary Burmingham 4 stars pages: 144

Ever wonder what your parents are thinking when you walk into their room asking for a piercing on your ear? How do they feel when you walk out of the door with booty shorts and a revealing tank top? Is there a way to avoid arguments? Maybe you’re changing, but you’re certainly not the only one! ‘How to Raise Your Parents” gives credible information to help both teens and parents reach out to each other, understand
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Erikka Adams, aka "The Bookbinder" for TeensReadToo.com

Ever wonder what your mom or dad is thinking when they won't let you walk out of the house in a perfectly good outfit? Or how about when they come up with some crazy rule that doesn't make any sense?

And parents, what is your teen thinking when they choose a ropes course adventure summer camp over horseback riding? And what about those "trashy" books they read?

Welcome to the world of raising a parent....or, I mean, raising a tee
Ariel
In purchasing this book on Amazon (for free, thankfully), I was expecting a book that would help a teenager better understand their parents, while continuing to respect them. While the author did help readers understand parents better, the respect wasn't there. Many of the advice given to teens through this book is disrespectful, and occasionally downright rude to their parents.

While I may not have had the best teenage years myself due to fights with my parents, I still strongly believed in resp
Erin
This book is like an overly long quiz from the likes of a fashion magazine. It is cliché in its dealings with teen parent relationships and is trivial at times with too much emphasis placed upon common stereotypes. In the book’s defence, there are great ideas and suggestions for ways teens can begin important and serious dialogues with their parents. It also provides some of the parental logic behind things parents might not always take the time to explain, such as curfew and ground rules for da ...more
Enna Isilee
Apr 12, 2008 Enna Isilee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Enna Isilee by: Sarah O'Leary Burningham
A funny, down to earth book that every girl should read. It gives honest advice about almost everything a teen girl goes through with their parents. Parts of this make you laugh out loud, and other parts are sincere and should be taken seriously. It's got great tips on negotiation, curfew, cars, boys, computers, and all things that teens face.

Even if you have awesome parents (Like I do), you should read this book.
Jasmine Rockwell
While humorous and accurate for the most part, sometimes it felt like the author was saying to teens it's okay to trick your parents if it will keep you out of trouble or get what you really want. At other times the book seems more appropriate for school counselors.
Lauren
Apr 13, 2009 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, self-help
I picked up this book out of curiousity about what it would say. The author had some interesting points on how to interact with parents, but I did not like how she often would tell kids how to act so they could get away with things.
Kelly
I really didn't read the book cover to cover but scanned it and think that it something I will come back to as my 2 daughters get a little older it is for Teens not tweens.
Glad I have it in my good reads bookshelf for the future.
Jolynn
May 30, 2008 Jolynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because one of my best friends is the author. After reading several exerts out of it is the perfect book for teens. But it was also a good laugh because some of the things are so true.
Marta
Jan 10, 2013 Marta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lexi C
I think it is an enjoyable read, and it is something every teenage girl should be equipped with in the real world!!!
Suzanna Pinkley
hmm... very interesting...
Arielwinter77
Jan 02, 2015 Arielwinter77 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A GIFT TO ALL TEENS AND TWEENS EVERYWHERE WITHOUT YOU I'D STILL BE GROUNDED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grace
May 20, 2010 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For TEENAGERS!!!!!
Andrea Wilkinson
The first book my cousin's daughter, Sarah, wrote. Great book about helping teens see things from another person's point of view and learning the value of compromise.
Bella
Bella rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2013
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Isabella
Isabella rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2015
Kristyn
Kristyn rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2011
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
May 12, 2008
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2012
Alexis Dalton
Alexis Dalton rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Mary Black
Mary Black rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2017
Claira Peckham
Claira Peckham rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Dancewithlisa
Dancewithlisa rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2008
Vikatolia Puni
Vikatolia Puni rated it really liked it
May 30, 2008
1120658
Even though I’m not technically a teenager anymore, I still consider myself a teenager at heart. I love stealing my sisters’ clothes and a good door slam, and since I write young adult books, I keep up on things cool through all the teenagers I know and meet.

I got the idea for my first book, How to Raise Your Parents: A Teen Girl’s Survival Guide, when I was 16. After coming home late for curfew (
More about Sarah O'Leary Burningham...