Start by marking “Kipps” as Want to Read:
Kipps

Kipps

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  608 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Orphaned at an early age, Artie Kipps is stunned to discover upon reading a newspaper that he is the grandson of a wealthy gentleman -- and the inheritor of his fortune. Thrown dramatically into the upper classes, he struggles to learn the etiquette and rules of polite society. But, as he soon discovers, becoming a "true gentleman" is neither as easy nor as desirable as it ...more
Published 1925 by Library Of Classics (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Kipps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kipps

Katie Lumsden
Jul 16, 2016 Katie Lumsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting examination of class and culture in the late 19th century, with great characterisation and moments of humour and poignancy. It has a touch of Great Expectations about it and is definitely my favourite HG Wells so far.
Alexandra
Bis zum Ende bin ich nicht warmgeworden mit dem Buch, obwohl die Story durchaus nicht unspannend ist. Artie Kipps aus der Unterschicht erbt unverhofft sehr viel Geld und wird dadurch automatisch irgendwie zum Mitglied der besseren Gesellschaft, ohne wirklich dazuzugehören.

Die Sprache des Romans ist extrem geschraubt und gestelzt, kein Wunder das Buch ist ja schon sehr alt, aber es ist mehr als das - das Parlieren in der guten englischen Gentlemen-Gesellschaft und der damit einhergehende Sprachs
Issicratea
I read this book for a very specific reason, which will not be of relevance to too many readers—I have just bought an apartment in Folkestone, where Kipps is set, and I was curious to read an account of it in its brief late-Victorian moment of glory. Kipps didn’t disappoint on that front. Wells portrays Folkestone quite vividly, as a wealthy, showy, brittle, snobbish, look-at-me resort town, contrasted with humbler Hythe, where the protagonist feels more at home.

This parochial interest aside, I
Eugenia
I wound up thoroughly enjoying the second half of _Kipps_, where Wells stops his merciless mockery of the eponymous anti-hero and begins instead to poke fun at himself. Favorite lines include Kipps's enthusiastic determination to set himself up as a bookseller because all books are the same -- "If you don't like one book, you take up another; it's not something that really matters, like print dresses or serviettes."
بسام عبد العزيز
كرهت بشدة محاولات كيبس المستمرة للالتصاق بتلك الطبقة الغنية المرفهة بأي شكل!
كيبس كان شابا فقيرا و لكن هبطتت عليه ثروة "من السماء كما يقولون" و كل ما فكر فيه هو أن يكون داخل تلك "الطبقة الإجتماعية العليا" .. فهو قد أصبح غنيا مثلهم. .أليس كذلك؟!
هذا التفكير الذي يجبره على محاولة تغيير كل شيء فيه.. عاداته.. لبسه.. معارفه.. و حتى طريقة نطقه للحروف حتى يكون ملائما للوسط الإجتماعي الجديد..
طوال أحداث الرواية كرهت تلك الشخصية جدا .. لماذا تصر على هذا؟ أنك تعيش بشكل جيد بما يكفي! لديك العائلة و الأصدقاء
Sergiu Pobereznic
Jun 10, 2015 Sergiu Pobereznic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a normal working man that was born into the world as a love child, lived with his aunt and became a draper. He suddenly finds himself in possession of wealth and has to adjust his regular behaviour to become a GENTLEMAN leading to some unusual circumstances. But then he later realizes that it is best to be yourself. It is a classic Rags to riches and Rags to riches again.
It is not a serious novel or at least it doesn't take itself seriously.
Wells is a witty writer and build
Mark
Sep 24, 2008 Mark marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Described in a recent roundup in the Wall Street Journal as one of the five best British books on class distinctions.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/39162/...
Aya
الترجمة سيئة للاسف افقدت الرواية روحها بالكامل .. لم استطع متابعة القراءة.
Rachel Pieters
Jun 29, 2016 Rachel Pieters rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classic
In actuality, I stopped reading around page 50. I'm an H.G. Wells fan, and grabbed this without reading the description, because the book could have been about anything and I would have tried it. BUT, this book was just. so. boring.

I wanted to like it, but nothing happened, not really, just endless paragraphs of narration about this boring guy named Kipps. About his childhood, in which nothing really happens. And then of his schooling, where nothing really happens either. On page 22 there's an
Alan Wells
Dec 07, 2013 Alan Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the surface this may seem like a satiric and stilted tale of an "everyman", but as I took it in and reflected on the story, it seems more a deeply personal journey in reaching some level of self-actualization amidst confusing and overbearing social pressures. Set around the early 20th century in Great Britain, Arthur Kipps experiences the everyday challenges of boredom and the relentless tortures of social expectations as he's growing up, and as a young man faces the harsh realities of barely ...more
Umang
Feb 27, 2013 Umang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially the book unfolds more or less like "The Great Expectations". The book gets funnier with Kipps entering adolescence and trying to make a mark among the ladies

There was a funny conversation between Kipps and Chitterlow. The funniest part was the conversation with Kipps reaching his drinking capacity and realizing, Chitterlow is a gut. The plot unfolds with Kipps getting hint of his family members in a news paper.

Kipps inherits fortune and is now in a different and strange world.

The recen
Yerbulan Akhmetov
The only Wells novel I have read and it's not even a science fiction.

As I mentioned, I haven't read any other of his works, but I think this one has a lot in common with them, even though it is not a science fiction.

In essence, it is still a story of a usual man who finds himself in a very unusual situation.
Pauline McGonagle
not sure about hilarious- but it has some funny moments. The attempt at accents is a bit clumsy and it comes across as very dated.
I did read it for local interest as well as to see what HG Wells wrote outside science fiction.
It did show how much class is less defined than it was in the past but in many ways its is just as hierarchical and divided.
John
Jun 18, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
HGW is pitiless in his portrayal of the emptiness of contemporary middle class pretension. This compares with honest "what you see is what you get" socialism.

Arthur Kipps gets off to a bad start. He's a "love child" passed on to an aunt and uncle to rear and then apprentice to the drudgery of the Drapery trade. His luck improves however when he gets rich quick but then must learn how to behave "proper" -ie as a "gentleman". He makes a dogs breakfast of it. Artie is a silly little rich boy/man an
Jay Ant
Jan 02, 2016 Jay Ant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
محمد
May 25, 2016 محمد rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
إما أن الرواية ضعيفة بحق، لأنها بالفعل مملة ولا هدف لها، وإما أن المترجم أخل إخلالا جسيما بالنص حتى جعله بهذا التهلهل
Shawna
Sep 29, 2015 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific classic! I love that this book is one of the author's favorites as well.
Nihal Eissa
Feb 11, 2014 Nihal Eissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
نجمة علي عدد الصفحات اللي قريتها ومش ناوية اكملها .
Amy Wolf
Jan 16, 2013 Amy Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful little book you hardly expect from sf master H.G. Wells. But the saga of Arthur Kipps in (I believe) Edwardian England really lets us into the life of a working man. The film Half A Sixpence with Tommy Steele was based on this.
Joshua
Oct 04, 2013 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had its high points, but by and large I found the story rather unremarkable and extremely boring. I don't think it was terrible, Wells is a talented author after all, but this book just wasn't for me.
Tom Marcinko
Dec 09, 2012 Tom Marcinko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been long wanting to get beyond H.G. Wells's admittedly wonderful science fiction. Amazing to think he was probably better known for his later novels during his lifetime.
Billy Young
Feb 10, 2008 Billy Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful tale made better by the fact that Half a' Sixpence was base on it. It is through Well's non sci fi works that you see how great an author he really was.
Alaric
Jul 30, 2010 Alaric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful insight into the period, Wells mixes high quality humour and pathos with a generous measure accurately portrayed human nature.
Lauren
May 03, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really charming novel about class with lots of biographical info about Wells thrown in. Thoroughly enjoyable. I loved the ending.
Elana
Apr 05, 2016 Elana rated it it was ok
Shelves: comedy, classics
Started out quite fun, became slow through the middle, and ended on a rather whimsical note.. All and all not a bad classic read.
Sally
I think I enjoyed the film a lot more than I did the book.
Len
Dec 18, 2014 Len rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book. I associate it with Christmas time although perhaps I didn't read it in that season.
هديل الحمام
من الكتب التي قرأتها اثناء دراستي الأعداديه فقد كانت من مقررات منهجنا :)

لم أحبها :)
Alex
Jan 05, 2012 Alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alex by: Anna
Anna says this is Wells parodying Dickens, which sounds FUCKING GREAT, MAN.
  • Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers
  • Kidnapped and Catriona
  • Sketches by Boz
  • The American Senator
  • Dance of Demons (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #5)
  • The Price of Power (Greyhawk Adventures #4)
  • Tales of Mystery & the Macabre
  • Maid In Waiting
  • Mrs Craddock
  • Witch Wood
  • Perempuan Rumah Kenangan
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...

“Room to swing a cat, it seemed was absolutely essential. It was an infrequent but indispensable operation.” 13 likes
“The bookshop of Kipps is on the left-hand side of the Hythe High Street coming from Folkestone, between the yard of the livery stable and the shop-window full of old silver and such like things—it is quite easy to find—and there you may see him for yourself and speak to him and buy this book of him if you like. He has it in stock, I know. Very delicately I've seen to that. His name is not Kipps, of course, you must understand that, but everything else is exactly as I have told you. You can talk to him about books, about politics, about going to Boulogne, about life, and the ups and downs of life. Perhaps he will quote you Buggins—from whom, by the bye, one can now buy everything a gentleman's wardrobe should contain at the little shop in Rendezvous Street, Folkestone. If you are fortunate to find Kipps in a good mood he may even let you know how he inherited a fortune "once." "Run froo it," he'll say with a not unhappy smile. "Got another afterwards—speckylating in plays. Needn't keep this shop if I didn't like. But it's something to do."...

Or he may be even more intimate. "I seen some things," he said to me once. "Raver! Life! Why! once I—I 'loped! I did—reely!"

(Of course you will not tell Kipps that he is "Kipps," or that I have put him in this book. He does not know. And you know, one never knows how people are going to take that sort of thing. I am an old and trusted customer now, and for many amiable reasons I should prefer that things remained exactly on their present footing.)”
4 likes