Start by marking “Betrayals” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A hypnotic murder mystery, a scathing literary parody, and a brilliant pastiche of genres, Betrayals once again demonstrates the virtuosity of the irresistibly entertaining author of The Quincunx, working at his "fiendishly clever" (San Francisco Chronicle) best. "Ingenious in the higest degree."--The Boston Globe.
Published January 24th 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayals

Did you enjoy House of Leaves? How about A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters? Do you like puzzles? Murder mysteries?

Betrayals is a collection of seemingly disparate narratives: an obituary for a scientist written by a colleague who seems to delight in his rival's passing; the tale of four passengers stranded on a snowbound train, seemingly told by two very different people, with the stories the passengers tell one another to stave off cold and fear embedded within in it Canterbury-style;
I remember enjoying Palliser's The Quincunx when I read it many years ago, and his The Unburied when I read that about ten years ago. But neither really prepared me for Betrayals, which I thought absolutely superb. It's a type of postmodern fiction I especially like, in which a number of disparate stories eventually form an overall story from the hints and clues they drop. Betrayals opens with a report of a group of people trapped by snow in a train in late Victorian Scotland. To pass the time u ...more
Though brilliant in the embedded plot twists and intertwining, I felt that the author was 'Too Clever by Half' and lost me (and most readers I'm sure). I felt that I caught some but not all of the inter-relationships between the separate stories in this novel. This left me frustrated that there were connections I know I should have seen, but that I didn't connect and so only understood the top two-thirds of the total plot twists and tricks.

I think this is a very well written book, but to be app
I loved Charles Palliser's The Quincunx and so I bought this slimmer novel in hopes that he would rekindle some of the magic I found in the earlier book. A couple of weeks ago my wife was looking for a new book and, although I hadn't yet read this, I gave it to her. She laughed her way through it and after finishing it she insisted I read it immediately. Naturally I did so and after finishing it she asked me,"well did you like it?" I replied, "No, it was terrible." To which I received the rejoin ...more
Il est interdit à quiconque, sous peine des sanctions les plus graves, de déflorer l'histoire de ce livre. On avancera donc ici avec une extrême précaution…

On confirmera simplement, pour tous ceux qui seraient tentés, en cours de lecture, de prendre ce récit pour un recueil de nouvelles, que l'ouvrage qu'ils ont entre les mains est bien un roman.

Oh, certes, un roman un peu compliqué, tout en fausses pistes, fausses portes et fausses barbes (mais les cadavres et les crimes sont vrais).

So, Father's Day - also Bloomsday, it turns out - what's a doting Dad to do? Me, I spent most of it on the porch enjoying the low clouds, the cool breeze, the distant cries of unicyclists on the Square and read Betrayals by Charles Palliser. Eventually I went inside and read it some more, because the grey clouds did what grey clouds do and chased even the unicyclists away.

Betrayals was an unalloyed pleasure from first to last, and a reread at that. Since at least two of the disparate ten chapter
A clever set of related documents - newspaper clippings, diaries, book chapters, letters - that shed partial light on a "famous" Scottish murder mystery. Very, very funny and addictive. Do not read this book if you like to close the final page and feel that you've wrapped the story up! I'm still thinking about it - and I've read this book twice!
Lisa James
This book is a story inside a story inside a story, where the story twists & turns through many characters, & then back around to the first. It's fascinating, murder, mystery, African myths, & Jack the Ripper all figure in this story as it layers & layers throughout.
There was a lot that I liked about this but it was so much work to try to piece everything together and I kind of got bored with it by the end of the book.
Lisa Daleiden-brugman
Eck. I can't really rate this because I actually abandoned this book. Too many freaky stories leading to some odd dreams.
what a bloody disappointment
Mickey Anthony
Mickey Anthony marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Willow marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
J M Ledger
J M Ledger is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2015
Camilla marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Scott marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Deb marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Barb marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Julieta Zarzosa
Julieta Zarzosa marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Ana María
Ana María marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Kasia marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Chessmen of Doom
  • Death and Restoration (Jonathan Argyll, #6)
  • The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë
  • Poetry: An Introduction
  • Howard Who?
  • Juni
  • The Dark Clue: A Novel
  • The Minutes of the Lazarus Club
  • The Whispering Mountain (The Wolves Chronicles, #0)
  • Clockwork Secrets: Heavy Fire (Clockwork Heart, #3)
  • A Short History of World War I
  • Detection by Gaslight
  • Detroit Breakdown
  • One Last Look
  • One Morning Like A Bird
  • White City
  • This Census-Taker
  • The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage, #4)
Charles Palliser (born 1947) is an American-born, British-based novelist. He is the elder brother of the late author and freelance journalist Marcus Palliser.
Born in New England he is an American citizen but has lived in the United Kingdom since the age of three. He went up to Oxford in 1967 to read English Language and Literature and took a First in June 1970. He was awarded the B. Litt. in 1975
More about Charles Palliser...

“To exist is to be betrayed, since we exist for others only by virtue of what we betray of ourselves to them.” 11 likes