Start by marking “Guilty as Sin (Deer Lake #2)” as Want to Read:
Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake #2)

Guilty as Sin (Deer Lake #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  11,721 ratings  ·  213 reviews
A cold-blooded kidnapper has been playing a twisted game with a terrified Minnesota town. Now a respected member of the community stands accused of a horrific act of evil. But when a second boy disappears, a frightened public demands to know: Have the police caught the wrong man? Is the nightmare continuing—or just beginning?

Prosecutor Ellen North believes she’s building a
Published August 4th 1997 by Orion Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Guilty as Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guilty as Sin

Night Sins by Tami HoagA Thin Dark Line by Tami HoagAshes to Ashes by Tami HoagGuilty as Sin by Tami HoagCry Wolf by Tami Hoag
Tami Hoag's Greatest Hits
4th out of 22 books — 44 voters
Night Sins by Tami HoagDark Paradise by Tami HoagGuilty as Sin by Tami HoagA Thin Dark Line by Tami HoagLucky's Lady by Tami Hoag
Favorite Tami Hoag Novels
3rd out of 12 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonetta
This is the follow up to the first book in the series, Night Sins. I’ll start off by saying I’m not a fan of having to read two books to figure out the resolution to a mystery. However, I liked the book even though it had some issues.

The story continues with the State’s Assistant City Attorney Ellen North at the forefront. She’s been handed the case involving Garrett Wright who Mitch Holt arrested for the assault of Megan O’Malley and the abduction of Josh Kirkwood. What seems to be an open and
Bruno

Este livro é a continuação do anterior “Pecados na noite” cujo final tinha ficado aberto. Estava desejoso por reencontrar a Megan e o Mitch, e infelizmente eles passaram para o segundo plano, aparecendo com raridade ao longo do livro. O protagonismo passou para a advogada Ellen North e o escritor de livros baseados em crimes verdadeiros Jay Butler Brooks. As vitimas do crime são as mesmas que as anteriores.

«O rapto do pequeno Josh Kirkwood abalou profundamente a pequena comunidade de Deer Lake.
Msmickey1995
I've been reading the reviews and to be honest, I don't agree with most of them....

I found this book to be engaging, thought provoking (in as far as who was doing what to/with whom), and suprisingly interesting....Knowing people in the legal field, the way the trail was prepared for in the book is spot on....You don't always know what your other council is receiving in the way of evidence, depending on when it's found....

The character, Ellen North, was written well....I enjoyed the way the autho
Allison Ann
Why can't I choose negative stars as a rating?

I haven't read much or any Tami Hoag before this book but I had such a visceral reaction to this book that I was hard pressed not to throw it across the room. I had to quit about 1/3 of the way through and take a break because the rage blackouts were becoming much too frequent. I've been reading Harlequin Romances since yesterday because EVEN THAT WAS BETTER THAN READING THE ALLEGED ROMANCE IN THIS NOVEL. I want to finish it, I'm interested by the my
Chana
I'd like to say 3 1/2 stars, not quite a 4 but more deserving than a 3.

And yet another romantic thriller, third romance in a row for me. The first was an historical fiction romance and written "clean" but these last 2 (a Sandra Brown and now a Tami Hoag) are more sexually explicit, although formulaic, and they use a lot of the same phraseology. I started wondering if maybe these authors went to the same school of romance writing.
I really shouldn't read 2 or more romances in a row or my eyeballs
Arwen56
Ripensare a questo "giallo" mi dà un leggero senso di nausea. In verità non credo neppure possa essere definito un "giallo". Diciamo che la trama poliziesca viene usata per far sì che:

1) Ellen North e Jay Butler Brooks si scambino, in prima battuta, dei "baci profondi" (parole testuali) e poi “scopino come ricci", con conseguente dettagliata descrizione: "Ellen non indossava il reggiseno. I suoi seni erano scoperti, avevano il colore della crema, il tocco della seta e si adattavano perfettamente
stephanie
so i decided to give tami hoag another chance, because i couldn't remember why i didn't read all her stuff in the first place.

this book reminded me.

this book rang in as a wannabe-grisham-type procedural, instead of a tightly paced thriller, which is what i was expecting. i didn't really care about any of the characters - ellen, jay, tony, the judge, josh, etc. etc. i didn't care about hannah, i didn't care about paul, i didn't care about father tom.

the only thing that kept me going was the fa
Terry Cohoe
Dec 28, 2011 Terry Cohoe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terry by: grabbed randomly off library shelf
I really enjoyed this book, a thriller/romance that was complex, believable, and well-written. There were a lot of characters with distinct personalities, memorable personalities which made it easy to keep track of who everyone is and what role they were playing. The protagonist is a female lawyer who is believable, feels like a real person, behaves in a credible manner. The tension is constant, the action is realistic and exciting. It is a little dark in its subject matter, but not overly so. M ...more
Anirban Das

Disappointment. I expected a lot of answers from this book. But I got very few. The book was not engrossing, the only reason I finished it fast, was because I skipped a lot of pages.
Just like NIGHT SINS, this book wastes a lot of pages on relationships between the protagonists. I like a crime novel which throws up a fair amount of of clues, but this book is very much lacking in that respect.
Another favorite feature of mine, is the investigation part, the legwork, the truth digging drives. Here,
Dark-Draco
'Night Sins' the first book in this 'duet', left enough questions and cliff-hangers to have me reaching for the sequel straight away. I liked the first book, but my initial reaction to the second wasn't positive. The main reason was it started to feel like a rehash of the first story ... Josh is still missing (although he came home at the end of the first one), and despite it focusing on new characters, they bare an uncanny resemblance to Mitch and Megan (ie. a strong, independent woman, attract ...more
Deb
Perhaps if I had known that this was a continuation of another book I would have liked it more, but I doubt it . The romance plot added nothing but irritation to the story. I would have had a restraining order taken out on that man.
Annabelle
I liked this book pretty well. The main plot is that there is a young boy, Josh, who has been taken, and prosecutor Ellen North in this suburban town thinks she knows the culprit, Professor Garrett Wright, a psychology professor. But the town think he is being persecuted. A real crime writer, Jay, comes to town to cover the story, but it turns out he has psychoanalytic motives. He just found out he had son the same age. I liked it, I kept reading even if it is long. And Ellen is a bit of bitch, ...more
Emily
I enjoyed this book as much as I enjoyed the first in the series. I was again upset at the violent interactions between men and women (the man being overly aggressive and the woman always secretly loving it), but this was written 20 years ago so I guess I can look past it.

I wanted the reveal to be bigger and longer. I didn't think that Hoag adequately explained the killers' reasons and that would have enhanced the book for me. If it wasn't so readable I'd probably give it a lower star, but I wa
Sridhar Babu
AUTHOR..
TAMI HOAG..
CHARACTERS:
ELLEN NORTH, JAY BUTLER BROOKS, GARRET WRIGHT, KAREN WRIGHT, JOSH KIRKWOOD, PAUL KIRK WOOD, HANNAH KIRKWOOD, TONY COSTELLO, DUSTIN HOLLOMAN, DENNY ENBERG, MITCH, ADAM SLATER and others..

LOCATION
DEER LAKE...

PLOT...
This fiction is about the adventurous/painful journey of Deer Lakes's Assistant County Attorney and public Prosecutor Ellen North in seeking justice by convicting a cold blooded kidnapper, by fitting perfectly pieces of puzzle in the twisted game playe
Max Anadon
So this is the sequel to Night Sins, and written in the same style. A continuation from the capture of Garrett Wright at the end of NS.

Assistant DA Ellen North taking over the lead female protagonist for Megan O'Malley. It's a case that looks like a slam dunk at first, but has just enough holes and complications, including frustrating facets of the judicial process (although maybe an attorney would know differently).

Ellen has moved away from the big city by choice, but has a history with a lawy
Janet Horner
I enjoyed this book. Even after reading some of the less-than-glowing reviews about it. I didn't read Ms. Hoag's previous work.

The action takes place in a short amount of time and there are a lot of characters in the story. The author also asks the reader to keep up by (in my opinion) purposefully starting chapters with non-specific references, i.e. he or she. That style of writing keeps the reader on his/her toes. You must stay engaged to keep track of which character is the current POV. I lik
Lisa
There's not a whole lot to say about this book without giving away important spoilers. Let me just say that crime drama is not usually my cup of tea. I don't care much for reading about humans doing unspeakable evil things. We get enough of that on the News. I prefer supernatural type of mysteries and drama because it's pure fantasy. With that being said, I didn't totally hate this book. It was well written and the prose was easy enough to follow. The lead female protagonist, Ellen North, is not ...more
Elizabeth
Having read, and loved, two of Tami Hoag's other books (Kill the Messenger and Dust to Dust), I had high hopes for this one, and it didn't disappoint. It did, however, read like an earlier effort -- perhaps slightly less polished than the other two. But that's a minor nitpick. The story held my interest. I genuinely liked Ellen (even though her constant leap to think the worst of people, especially Brooks, grated on my nerves a little). I also liked some of the secondary characters, and got tear ...more
Victoria Leal
I have heard nothing but amazing things about the author and was very much looking forward to finally reading one of her books but I was rather disappointed. It took me a very long time to actually get into the book. I felt like the book dragged in many places and in many instances I just wanted to stop reading it. I did however enjoy the plot of the book and may consider giving one of her other books a shot.
Caroline
The second book in the Deer Lake story & it continues on from Night Sins. I have to say that I still prefer Night Sins. The first book feels more intense and action-packed. This book is by its nature a little more sedentary as it's focuses more on the trial and the hard-work that the characters have to put in to pull together a case against the guilty party. There are certainly lots of twists & turns. And it's great fun to see how the case develops (or doesn't).

There are downsides. I th
Bob
A young boy is kidnapped while waiting to be picked up from a hockey practice, A Minnesota BCA agent is kidnapped and severely beaten and Assistant County Attorney Ellen North is assigned as prosecutor for the arrested perpetrator a well liked professor at the local college. Evidence is there but not quite enough for a sure indictment, but Ellen is going ahead in hopes more information comes to light. She has to put up with the politics of her bosses who have their eyes on advancement, The games ...more
Trish
2 stars/Fiction; Suspense
*did not finish*

This was my first Tami Hoag book and with the high rating, I really wanted to like it but I just could not finish it.

Not finishing it had less to do with the actual story line and more to do with the fact that even at half way through, Hoag was still introducing new characters. One chapter she calls them Mr. So and so. The next she calls them by their title or by their first name. I was so confused by who was who that I had to keep going back and trying
Rachelle
This book held my interest as far as the writing goes, but I didn't like the main character Ellen. I found her to be annoying and I thought it was pretty predictable the way she treated Jay. Why do so many books include romances that have women talking to men they are trying not to be attracted to that way? It's so juvenile and immature. People don't really act like that. And the part where she ground the heel of her high heel shoe on Costello's foot in the courtroom. Yeah, right. Didn't like th ...more
Bettycindy
I discovered when I got into this book that I had read it before but couldn't remember the end so I read it again. It's a good quick read. Would have been better without the sex. Nothing against sex, it just didn't add to the story.
Brandi
Hooked

Amazing thriller with a very unexpected twist. The revelations made were almost beyond belief and left my jaw wide open. Definitely one of the better mysteries I've read in a long while.
Maura
Angela Free
Finally finished it! The first half was such hard work I put it down and read something else for a bit. But the second half really hotted up! Including the relationship between Ellen and Jay! Without giving anything away, the plot ending took you right back to the very beginning of the first book which tied loose ends for me. You do need to read Night Sins before you read this one though I'd say.
Elizabeth
Could not put this book down, read it in 2 days. This is the follow up to Night Sins. The book follows the kidnapping of 2 8 y.o. boys in a rural Minnesota county. Lots of twists and suspense.
Steve
An interesting story about a kidnapping in Minnesota. Real twists to the story as a well loved professor becomes the prime suspect. Not as easy to get into as other Hoag novels.
Mel Brutger
Really good, solid fiction. Haven't read a classic whodunit in a long time and I did enjoy it. Liked that it was set in MN. some freakish twists. Wish I would've read Deer Lake #1 first. Guess I'll do them out of order.
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5)
  • Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)
  • And Then You Die
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • The Alibi
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian #1)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag began her professional career writing for Bantam’s Loveswept line of romance novels. In 1988 her first novel, The Trouble With J.J. was published.

With fifteen consecutive New York Times bestsellers to her credit, Hoag has more than 35 million books in print, published in more than twenty languages worldwide. Her first thriller, Night Sins, was made i
More about Tami Hoag...

Deer Lake (2 books)
  • Night Sins (Deer Lake, #1)
Ashes to Ashes (Kovac/Liska, #1) Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2) Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1) Prior Bad Acts (Kovac/Liska, #3) Down the Darkest Road (Oak Knoll, #3)