Start by marking “When the Shoe Fits: Commentaries on the Stories of the Taoist Mystic, Chuang Tzu” as Want to Read:

This is one of Osho's "classics" although previously little known. He brings his unique perception to the world of Tao, and offers his penetrating and illuminating comments on these original sutras - the wonderful stories of the Taoist mystic, Chuang Tzu. As always, his inspirational anecdotes and stories illustrate the points he makes - about the spiritual search, love, a ...more
Published April 28th 1997 by Rebel Publishing House Private, Limited, the

To ask other readers questions about When the Shoe Fits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Shoe Fits

Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 Sanjay Gautam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book, it's a sacred text.

"When the shoe fits,
the foot is forgotten
when the belt fits,
the belly is forgotten
and when the heart is right,
for and against are forgotten

No drives, no compulsions,
no needs, no attractions
then your affairs are under control
you are a free man."

Great master take on from other great master and go beyond him. It is the work that has come from very ordinary human existence, but is certainly beyond any other work human existence has ever known. It surpasses t
L.P. Logan
Nonsense. Crazy talk. Whatever this book was trying to sell, I ain't buying. No matter how hard you try to box up the human psyche and create a one-size fits all fix, being self-centered, lazy, and indulgent to an unhealthy degree is not ever, EVER, the way to creating a better self or human being. You have to work for that. That's right. Get up off of your lazy backside and actually work in order to earn those good things in life.

Even if some crazy person who goes by only a first, sort-of name
Bella
Sep 06, 2015 Bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the shoe fits, you forget the leg. When the belt fits, you forget belly. When you are comfortable you forget yourself. You are in the dream
Shelley
Jul 18, 2016 Shelley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1900s, philosophy, 2016, asia
Pseudo intellectual rubbish. I can see why jaden smith read this
Beverley Smith
Jun 18, 2016 Beverley Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Osho - based on Taoism. Except for the odd google quote i have read little about Taoism and although Osho had been on my radar for some time, I have also been putting off getting stuck in. However, when this book came up on Netgalley i decided to give it a go and i certainly wasn't disappointed.

Each chapter is based around a story or parable, which is then explained by relating the contents of the story as Jesus would have done. I found the parables thought provoking - do I really have a 'monke
So Hakim
Commentaries on 10 parables of The Chuang Tzu; one of the important books in Taoism. Refreshing and enlightening. I don't necessarily subscribe to all the author said, however, he does very good job in expounding the philosophy. Recommended as companion reading to Taoism.
Susie
Jan 30, 2013 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it a little difficult to read, and didn't always agree with Osho's interpretations, but there is much to gain from sorting through it for those jewels of wisdom you can apply to life. I would recommend it to others. Just don't try to rush through it.
Kapil Goyal
Jun 11, 2017 Kapil Goyal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The difficult attracts. The more difficult it is, more it attracts you. It becomes more valuable because through it, if you conquer it, you will achieve a greater ego. ...

So how can you make history if you are easy? If you win a war and kill millions of people you make history. If you just brush your teeth in the morning how can you make history? And easy is right... and you sing a little song... how can you make history?

The right way to go easy if is to forget the right way.
And forget that goi
Joe
Jul 10, 2017 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before reading anything by Osho, check him out on Wikipedia.

Accused of involvement in poisoning hundreds of people in America to manipulate election results he was eventually banned from the US and agreed to leave to avoid prison.

A man of wisdom always looks at a problem from the others point of view.

We are always wise when we have to advise others, but when we are in the same trap, with the same problem, the same crisis, we are not so wise.

Do not rely on distinction and talent when you deal wit
Quicksilver Quill
When the Shoe Fits is another great book by Osho, all about Taoism and Chuang Tzu. If you enjoy Osho, or are interested in the Tao, don't miss this one!
Horace Chu
Sep 24, 2016 Horace Chu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very simple and well written book by an Indian in English on an ancient Chinese philosophical concept - Tao, if concept is the right word. Some might say that it is a religion by I am sure Osho will not agree.

The book has explained the concepts of Tao very well and in very simple terms making the concepts easily understood and can arouse the interests of layperson like myself. Chuang Tze, one of the ancient Tao advocate were referenced many times throughout the book. I would say this book has
Justin
Jun 29, 2016 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I received this book, for free, in exchange for an honest review.

A lovingly written devotional to untethered being.

This book is either too hard to grasp or too dense for me.
From my probably limited grasp on this, the book seems to mostly be centered around explaining Wu Wei. Perhaps I missed a great deal as I think I tend to like my knowledge either be fairly low hanging fruit or to be teased upfront with a hint of the knowledge to come. Either way, I found my self having more and more difficult
Araminta
Aug 12, 2016 Araminta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: give-aways
This is not a book i would normally reach for. I found it hard to understand in places but still i kept going.
The story of Taoist mystic, Chuang Tzu. I have never heard of Tao before but some of the ideas are eye opening. Made me chuckle at times. No spoilers here though so if you like the idea of spiritual search of peace and happiness, then just go with it and i hope you understand it all better than i did.
Mollie
Jun 22, 2016 Mollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book comes along that changes everything. As I read, and I wanted to rush through it but could not, I noticed that I felt different. Yes, I appreciated the parables, the clear interpretation of the Tao in contemporary life. No, I was not trying to change. Was it the words or the space in between the words?

Or was it simple the letting go, the exhalation into a single sound..."ahhh?"

My feeling is that the shoe will fit even if the reader is barefoot.
Andy Lawless
Timely material for that period of my life when I read it. Osho insight and commentaries are informative, interesting and humorous.
Wanderfoot
Mar 12, 2008 Wanderfoot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unreal... and very real!
Conchie Fernandez
Conchie Fernandez rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Lydia Atarés
Lydia Atarés rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Grigor Atanasov
Grigor Atanasov rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Ram Quatre
Ram Quatre rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2009
David
David rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Iris Xiao
Iris Xiao rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
طوق الحمام
طوق الحمام rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
Jemima
Jemima rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2017
Andrew Doherty
Andrew Doherty rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2017
Ajay
Ajay rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Nadja Niukkanen
Nadja Niukkanen rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2010
Ishant
Ishant rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Ana Stojanovic
Ana Stojanovic rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2013
  • Consciousness: An Introduction
  • The Hermetica
  • Focusing
  • Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by ...more
More about Osho...

“The longer a person has been dead the greater is the tradition ... If Buddha is alive you can barely tolerate him. ... You cannot believe this man has known the ultimate because he looks just like you ... Hungry he needs food, sleepy he wants a bed, ill, he has to rest – just like you ... That is why Jesus is worshiped now and yet he was crucified when he was alive. Alive, you crucify him; dead, you worship him.” 25 likes
“He has to fight but with no anger. This seems difficult, because you even love with anger, yet he has to fight without anger.” 1 likes