Start by marking “Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #3)

Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  705 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Calliope just wants to make it big in the Big Apple like any other working girl. But Callie is also Death's Daughter, no matter how much she tries to stay out of the family business. And now her older sister has made a deal with the Devil himself to engage in a hostile takeover of both Death Inc. and Heaven-once they get Callie out of the way.
Published February 22nd 2011 by Ace (first published January 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Serpent's Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serpent's Storm

Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda JonesSecond Grave on the Left by Darynda JonesFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesFourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda JonesThird Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones
Psychopomps and Incarnations of Death
40th out of 57 books — 27 voters
First Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesSecond Grave on the Left by Darynda JonesThird Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda JonesFourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda JonesFifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones
Grim Reaper themes
79th out of 105 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Calliope Reaper-Jones’s life takes a turn for the grim in Serpent’s Storm, the third book in Amber Benson’s series about the daughter of Death. These books have always featured some serious content, and Serpent’s Storm still contains some humor, but overall this is the most serious CALLIOPE book so far.

The beginning is a little annoying, with Callie in full-on flippant mode, bored with her boyfriend Daniel for a rather obnoxious reason. It isn’t long, though, before Callie’s life is irrevocably
Rodrigo
Having read the first 3 books, I have to say this is the one I enjoyed the least. It is still worth reading if you enjoyed the first two, but as far as I'm concerned, this is not up to the same level.

On Serpent's Storm we find a more grown up view of Calliope. We get some very raunchy scenes. (view spoiler)
Bethany
Either I was asleep when I read this book, or it was just truly not that great.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised at the (mostly) positive reviews I read --just trying to make sure I wasn't being a jerk in not liking it-- but then I started remembering everything that was just totally not okay with the book.

First of all, children can't read this book! I really enjoyed the first book in the series. I even recommended it to my best friend knowing she would like it too!
There is literally not a sin
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
**Synopsis** Calliope Reaper-Jones, Callie, or Death's Daughter, for short is like many other young woman that have come before her. She has set out to be different from her family, and try to make a living in the corporate world while also living in the uber expensive city of New York.

Callie works as an Executive Assistant to Hyacinth (Hy) Stewart, who is the VP of Sales for Home and Yard a company that supplies the Home Shopping Network. In previous installments, Hy has sent her out for some s
Amber
Ever get the feeling that an author is dragging a series on because readers want more, not because they had always planned to write more? That's how Serpent's Storm reads.

This isn't to say it's a bad book. The prose is still fun and snappy in that Buffy way. Calliope is still the fun and flailing heroine. The plot, however, did nothing for me, really. I felt like I'd read this book before within the first two, and that's probably why, unlike the others, it took me months of sporadic reading to
Cherie
Having read and enjoyed the first two books in this series I was looking forward to reading this book. I enjoy Callie's sense of humor and her magical family. And while I knew the book had been out for awhile I didn't get the chance to grab it until recently. Now I'm finished with the book I still enjoyed the series. Though something did throw me for a bit of a loop.

I'll admit the sudden direction change with the more mature rated scenes surprised me. Not that I think there's anything wrong wit
Christine Hayes
My favorite book in the series is the first book,Callie has so much potential.I don't think I will read anymore of this series. Callie is a whiny selfish twenty-something.she ruined everything,I like the other characters,I even like the plot,but she is unbearable.
James
By far, the best written book of the series so far. It still wasn't all that good.

In my reviews of the other two books of this series, I couldn't figure out if this was targetted at a YA audience, or an adult audience. Well, Ms. Benson cleared that up pretty quick in the first chapter. Definitely too steamy for the younger audience. (view spoiler)
Book Binge
The third book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series, SERPENT'S STORM certainly packs a punch. While Callie's experiencing…well, shall we say, the bliss of coupledom with her hot and very naked man, her psycho sister, Thalia, escapes from Purgatory and heads out to wreak havoc with the Devil at her side.

So, Callie trots off to work, totally unaware that her entire life is about to transform. Normal? That's just not gonna happen for poor Callie, no matter how much she may want an average life. Deat
Trisha
Callie has two adventures under her supernatural belt. She has a secure job, a family that she loves, and friends she can trust or so she thinks. Everything was dandy until she was late to work one day. Callie thought her boss was going to kill her for being late. That’s when the trouble began. One of Death’s associates tries to warn Callie of trouble that has been happening in the spiritual realm. After a series of events in the bathroom, Callie escapes her workplace and ends up on a subway. Th ...more
Joe
The third book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones novels gives me everything I could possibly be looking for in an urban fantasy novel. There's hot sex intermingled with emotional bindings, confusing relationship and potentially painful outcomes. A main character who, while immortal still has to evolve from being a chicken about getting her butt whooped to becoming as bad-ass as she can be and saving everyone. There are supporting characters that you grow attached to and finally there is action. My pe ...more
Jami Zehr
I enjoyed the storyline of this latest book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series, by Amber Benson, much more than I did Cat's Claw. I liked the family history revelation, as well as, the changing dynamics of Cali's life to push Cali out of her sit down and weep mode.

In Serpent's Storm, Cali experiences loss, swallows a jewel with magical powers, and hunts down her sister who escaped from prison. Cali begins to realize that despite her yearnings to leave the supernatural world behind, she can't,
cecilia
Calliope never dreamed that she’d be back to square one after finally reaching Cloud 9 with a decent guy, but her older sister has escaped from prison and bent on destroying the family business. This time, however, her sister means business – and this time Calliope has to make the hardest decision in her life. Is taking over Death Inc. worth losing the one man she has grown to love? Will she be able to save her sister from her evil ways? Who knows, but for Callie, it is do or die – and she’d rat ...more
Ash
I am not sure why I continue to read this series. Maybe I have hope that it will get better because it has such an interesting concept about Death and the entire Afterlife being run as a corporation. Maybe, because of skimming the reviews, the consensus has been that the series does get better.

Amber Benson has two more books to prove those reviewers right. Serpent's Storm started off well in its prologue. I believe that it was third person perspective instead of Callie's. The gist of it is that
Alex Telander
In the third installment about the daughter of Death from Amber Benson Calliope Reaper-Jones is really put through the ringer. Readers not familiar with the earlier books will feel lost in Serpent’s Storm, as it is severely lacking in structure and logical direction, but for those who look forward to seeing what Callie is up to next, they’ll enjoy this next adventure.

Things certainly heat up right from the start as the book opens with a pretty graphic sex scene between Callie and her hunk she ca
Torzilla
Sep 28, 2012 Torzilla marked it as did-not-finish
I try to avoid reading Urban Fantasies later in the series when I can help it because it's usually a huge leap of faith by beginning so late. The book either drags me into its universe and I enjoy it, or I am left feeling severely disappointed and guilty.

But sometimes, the writing simply does not work for me. After reading the first third of SERPENT'S STORM, I'd finally had enough with Calliope. Her personality grated on my nerves, and she came off as a whiny child I had no interest in learning
Debbie Allen
I have absolutely loved reading the Calliope Reaper-Jones series. Amber Benson has used aspects from the supernatural, mystical, religious and mythical. Serpent's Storm is the third novel of the series and over the three books, Calliope and her friends have travelled to hell, purgatory and heaven.
The dynamics between the characters are beautifully written. Calliope's struggle between leading a normal life and her far from conventional family is consistent throughout. Her relationship with her e
Angela
...what the heck? This has been a relatively lighthearted series so far, with the other two books full of snark and humor, definitely not the insane life-or-death moments this book had. Not to mention the random drop into Laurell K. Hamilton territory. Good for the people who had the sex, but reading those over-descriptively moments that came out of nowhere...wow. (I'm not a prude and have no problems reading about sex. The moments were just very unexpected. The author hasn't even explained geni ...more
Merve  Özcan

Calliope'nin üçüncü kitabı.
Üzüntüyle söylemekteyim ki bu seri benim için bitmiştir. Buffy The Vampire Slayer'ın Tara'sının yazdığı bu seriye son bir şans daha vermiştim ama maalesef pek tatmin edici olmadı. Seride beni kendine çeken bir şey yok. kurgu güzel denebilir, anlatım güzel ama sorun şu ki karakterleri pek sevemedim, karakterin aşkına inanamadım eh böyle de olunca seriye devam etmenin bir anlamı yok sanırım.

Bu kitapta Calliope'nin babası ölüyor ve Calliope artık resmen Ölüm olmak zorund
Stefanie
Serpent's Storm definitely an excellent book to read. Actually if you are into paranormal/fantasy books then you definitely have to check out this series. I have been a fan of Amber's since her Buffy days and have read just about every book she has had a hand in creating. In this series she takes a new look on the role of Death (in this case an actual being instead of just a spirit or intangible force) and how she deals with everything that comes with the title (not to mention a serious high end ...more
Jen
The third book in Amber Benson's trilogy is the strongest. In this installment, Callie's sister Thalia escapes from purgatory and sets out w/ the devil to get her revenge.

The thing Callie starts to figure out in this book is that she can't escape the supernatural world, as much as she'd like to, it's a part of her and she really has to start dealing. She really starts to come into her own in this book, and while she still annoys me, she's growing on me.

A lot happens in this book, death, destru
Topher
Poor Calliope, all she ever wanted was just to be normal. That seems to be something that she won't be allowed though. Things happen. Bad Things. She tries to set them right, but, some things even Death's Daughter can't really right.
Alexandria Darcy
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
I enjoyed what I found to be the darkest volume in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series to date. Callie's life has turned upside down and now she needs to follow her own instincts because she's the only one who can save her family. Callie has to grow up a lot in a short amount of time, but I think she comes out better for it. Follow Callie as she endeavors to learn who is truly on her side and copes with the betrayals that the power struggle brings. I highly recommend this series and this book in pa ...more
Jeannie Lopez
writing and storytelling is so great . She has hooked me from the beginning of every book.
Siobhan
I'm was very pleased with this (what I assume is the, but not necessarily) conclusion to the Calliope Reaper-Jones series. I've always had this sort of love/hate with Callie. I dislike her a lot in the beginning of each book, but like 3 chapters in I'm rooting for her full-force again. This book was no exception, except that she shook herself back together quicker, and hopefully she won't backslide again.

I think that Ms Benson has some great ideas, and characters, and I was really glad to spend
Steve
Feb 25, 2014 Steve rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Another great fun instalment in the Calliope Reaper Jones series. Never going to be confused with high brow literature, but just perfect easy reading for the train to and from work. Fast paced and entertaining, this series is well worth a read.
Sage
It Wasnt what i expected but better. I just finished the book this morning and i have to say im mad it ended but glad i have the next book to continue the story. The book kept me at the edge of my seat biting my finger nails wondering whats going to happen next to Callie. Who's going to double cross her next? Will she lose any one else? But all in all id say it was a great story. I loved it! Thank you Amber Benson for an awesome time escaping reality into the world of Death Inc,.
Erin
I think I've begun to lose interest in these stories. Or I am just in a crafting slump which sidelines audiobook listening.
Julia
I tried DEATH'S DAUGHTER and failed to get more than a few chapters in, but still had to take a crack at SERPENT'S STORM to review. My main issue was Callie's very chatty POV. I didn't enjoy viewing the world through her willful denial, and from the first chapters of book one to the first half of SERPENT'S STORM, there wasn't an appreciable improvement in her life skills. Other than my heroine issues, the mythology was interesting and the writing was ok.
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Love on the Run (Nola O'Grady, #4)
  • Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3)
  • Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Sins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries, #1)
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • A Tale of Two Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #3)
  • Demon Inside (Megan Chase, #2)
  • M&K Tracking (Maggie MacKay, Magical Tracker, #4)
  • Steal the Night (Thieves, #5)
  • The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1)
  • Blonde & Blue (Alexa O'Brien, Huntress, #4)
  • The Grimrose Path (Trickster, #2)
More about Amber Benson...

Calliope Reaper-Jones (5 books)
  • Death's Daughter (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #1)
  • Cat's Claw (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #2)
  • How to be Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #4)
  • The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)
Death's Daughter (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #1) Cat's Claw (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #2) How to be Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #4) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow & Tara (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #25 Buffy Seasons 5 & 6) The Witches of Echo Park (The Witches of Echo Park, #1)