Start by marking “Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #3)

Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones #3)

Calliope just wants to make it big in the Big Apple like any other working girl. But Callie is also Death's Daughter, no matter how much she tries to stay out of the family business. And now her older sister has made a deal with the Devil himself to engage in a hostile takeover of both Death Inc. and Heaven-once they get Callie out of the way.
Published February 22nd 2011 by Ace (first published January 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Serpent's Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serpent's Storm

Kelly
Feb 28, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Calliope Reaper-Jones’s life takes a turn for the grim in Serpent’s Storm, the third book in Amber Benson’s series about the daughter of Death. These books have always featured some serious content, and Serpent’s Storm still contains some humor, but overall this is the most serious CALLIOPE book so far.

The beginning is a little annoying, with Callie in full-on flippant mode, bored with her boyfriend Daniel for a rather obnoxious reason. It isn’t long, though, before Callie’s life is irrevocably
Meg
Jan 20, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing
Man! I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did! I have been a fan of the first two Calliope Reaper Jones books but this one knocked them out of the park. This one was amazing!

I can't wait to read the next one! Longer review to come soon! :)
Shelley
Mar 17, 2011 Shelley rated it liked it
**Synopsis** Calliope Reaper-Jones, Callie, or Death's Daughter, for short is like many other young woman that have come before her. She has set out to be different from her family, and try to make a living in the corporate world while also living in the uber expensive city of New York.

Callie works as an Executive Assistant to Hyacinth (Hy) Stewart, who is the VP of Sales for Home and Yard a company that supplies the Home Shopping Network. In previous installments, Hy has sent her out for some s
Rodrigo
Sep 17, 2012 Rodrigo rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Having read the first 3 books, I have to say this is the one I enjoyed the least. It is still worth reading if you enjoyed the first two, but as far as I'm concerned, this is not up to the same level.

On Serpent's Storm we find a more grown up view of Calliope. We get some very raunchy scenes. (view spoiler)
Bethany
Jul 26, 2016 Bethany rated it did not like it
Either I was asleep when I read this book, or it was just truly not that great.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised at the (mostly) positive reviews I read --just trying to make sure I wasn't being a jerk in not liking it-- but then I started remembering everything that was just totally not okay with the book.

First of all, children can't read this book! I really enjoyed the first book in the series. I even recommended it to my best friend knowing she would like it too!
There is literally not a sin
Amber
Dec 27, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ever get the feeling that an author is dragging a series on because readers want more, not because they had always planned to write more? That's how Serpent's Storm reads.

This isn't to say it's a bad book. The prose is still fun and snappy in that Buffy way. Calliope is still the fun and flailing heroine. The plot, however, did nothing for me, really. I felt like I'd read this book before within the first two, and that's probably why, unlike the others, it took me months of sporadic reading to
Christine Hayes
Oct 17, 2013 Christine Hayes rated it it was ok
My favorite book in the series is the first book,Callie has so much potential.I don't think I will read anymore of this series. Callie is a whiny selfish twenty-something.she ruined everything,I like the other characters,I even like the plot,but she is unbearable.
Book Binge
Jul 29, 2011 Book Binge rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
The third book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series, SERPENT'S STORM certainly packs a punch. While Callie's experiencing…well, shall we say, the bliss of coupledom with her hot and very naked man, her psycho sister, Thalia, escapes from Purgatory and heads out to wreak havoc with the Devil at her side.

So, Callie trots off to work, totally unaware that her entire life is about to transform. Normal? That's just not gonna happen for poor Callie, no matter how much she may want an average life. Deat
Ash
Nov 09, 2013 Ash rated it did not like it
I am not sure why I continue to read this series. Maybe I have hope that it will get better because it has such an interesting concept about Death and the entire Afterlife being run as a corporation. Maybe, because of skimming the reviews, the consensus has been that the series does get better.

Amber Benson has two more books to prove those reviewers right. Serpent's Storm started off well in its prologue. I believe that it was third person perspective instead of Callie's. The gist of it is that
Alex Telander
Jun 22, 2011 Alex Telander rated it it was ok
In the third installment about the daughter of Death from Amber Benson Calliope Reaper-Jones is really put through the ringer. Readers not familiar with the earlier books will feel lost in Serpent’s Storm, as it is severely lacking in structure and logical direction, but for those who look forward to seeing what Callie is up to next, they’ll enjoy this next adventure.

Things certainly heat up right from the start as the book opens with a pretty graphic sex scene between Callie and her hunk she ca
James
Sep 06, 2011 James rated it it was ok
By far, the best written book of the series so far. It still wasn't all that good.

In my reviews of the other two books of this series, I couldn't figure out if this was targetted at a YA audience, or an adult audience. Well, Ms. Benson cleared that up pretty quick in the first chapter. Definitely too steamy for the younger audience. (view spoiler)
cecilia
Jun 25, 2011 cecilia rated it liked it
Shelves: purple-covers
Calliope never dreamed that she’d be back to square one after finally reaching Cloud 9 with a decent guy, but her older sister has escaped from prison and bent on destroying the family business. This time, however, her sister means business – and this time Calliope has to make the hardest decision in her life. Is taking over Death Inc. worth losing the one man she has grown to love? Will she be able to save her sister from her evil ways? Who knows, but for Callie, it is do or die – and she’d rat ...more
Joe
Feb 15, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The third book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones novels gives me everything I could possibly be looking for in an urban fantasy novel. There's hot sex intermingled with emotional bindings, confusing relationship and potentially painful outcomes. A main character who, while immortal still has to evolve from being a chicken about getting her butt whooped to becoming as bad-ass as she can be and saving everyone. There are supporting characters that you grow attached to and finally there is action. My pe ...more
Jami Zehr
Nov 26, 2014 Jami Zehr rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the storyline of this latest book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series, by Amber Benson, much more than I did Cat's Claw. I liked the family history revelation, as well as, the changing dynamics of Cali's life to push Cali out of her sit down and weep mode.

In Serpent's Storm, Cali experiences loss, swallows a jewel with magical powers, and hunts down her sister who escaped from prison. Cali begins to realize that despite her yearnings to leave the supernatural world behind, she can't,
Trisha
Jan 03, 2016 Trisha rated it really liked it
Callie has two adventures under her supernatural belt. She has a secure job, a family that she loves, and friends she can trust or so she thinks. Everything was dandy until she was late to work one day. Callie thought her boss was going to kill her for being late. That’s when the trouble began. One of Death’s associates tries to warn Callie of trouble that has been happening in the spiritual realm. After a series of events in the bathroom, Callie escapes her workplace and ends up on a subway. Th ...more
Torzilla
Sep 28, 2012 Torzilla marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: reviewed
I try to avoid reading Urban Fantasies later in the series when I can help it because it's usually a huge leap of faith by beginning so late. The book either drags me into its universe and I enjoy it, or I am left feeling severely disappointed and guilty.

But sometimes, the writing simply does not work for me. After reading the first third of SERPENT'S STORM, I'd finally had enough with Calliope. Her personality grated on my nerves, and she came off as a whiny child I had no interest in learning
Cherie
Feb 04, 2014 Cherie rated it really liked it
Having read and enjoyed the first two books in this series I was looking forward to reading this book. I enjoy Callie's sense of humor and her magical family. And while I knew the book had been out for awhile I didn't get the chance to grab it until recently. Now I'm finished with the book I still enjoyed the series. Though something did throw me for a bit of a loop.

I'll admit the sudden direction change with the more mature rated scenes surprised me. Not that I think there's anything wrong wit
Stefanie
Jun 27, 2012 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Serpent's Storm definitely an excellent book to read. Actually if you are into paranormal/fantasy books then you definitely have to check out this series. I have been a fan of Amber's since her Buffy days and have read just about every book she has had a hand in creating. In this series she takes a new look on the role of Death (in this case an actual being instead of just a spirit or intangible force) and how she deals with everything that comes with the title (not to mention a serious high end ...more
Merve Özcan
Apr 05, 2012 Merve Özcan rated it liked it
Shelves: romance

Calliope'nin üçüncü kitabı.
Üzüntüyle söylemekteyim ki bu seri benim için bitmiştir. Buffy The Vampire Slayer'ın Tara'sının yazdığı bu seriye son bir şans daha vermiştim ama maalesef pek tatmin edici olmadı. Seride beni kendine çeken bir şey yok. kurgu güzel denebilir, anlatım güzel ama sorun şu ki karakterleri pek sevemedim, karakterin aşkına inanamadım eh böyle de olunca seriye devam etmenin bir anlamı yok sanırım.

Bu kitapta Calliope'nin babası ölüyor ve Calliope artık resmen Ölüm olmak zorund
Debbie Allen
Sep 11, 2013 Debbie Allen rated it it was amazing
I have absolutely loved reading the Calliope Reaper-Jones series. Amber Benson has used aspects from the supernatural, mystical, religious and mythical. Serpent's Storm is the third novel of the series and over the three books, Calliope and her friends have travelled to hell, purgatory and heaven.
The dynamics between the characters are beautifully written. Calliope's struggle between leading a normal life and her far from conventional family is consistent throughout. Her relationship with her e
Angela
Jan 07, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
...what the heck? This has been a relatively lighthearted series so far, with the other two books full of snark and humor, definitely not the insane life-or-death moments this book had. Not to mention the random drop into Laurell K. Hamilton territory. Good for the people who had the sex, but reading those over-descriptively moments that came out of nowhere...wow. (I'm not a prude and have no problems reading about sex. The moments were just very unexpected. The author hasn't even explained geni ...more
Jen
Aug 13, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
The third book in Amber Benson's trilogy is the strongest. In this installment, Callie's sister Thalia escapes from purgatory and sets out w/ the devil to get her revenge.

The thing Callie starts to figure out in this book is that she can't escape the supernatural world, as much as she'd like to, it's a part of her and she really has to start dealing. She really starts to come into her own in this book, and while she still annoys me, she's growing on me.

A lot happens in this book, death, destru
Alexandria Darcy
Apr 08, 2011 Alexandria Darcy rated it really liked it
Star
Jul 21, 2016 Star rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed what I found to be the darkest volume in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series to date. Callie's life has turned upside down and now she needs to follow her own instincts because she's the only one who can save her family. Callie has to grow up a lot in a short amount of time, but I think she comes out better for it. Follow Callie as she endeavors to learn who is truly on her side and copes with the betrayals that the power struggle brings. I highly recommend this series and this book in pa ...more
Esther
Nov 15, 2015 Esther rated it really liked it
Wow, this I did not expect. The last book in te series (Cat's Claw) gave me a serious 'meh' vibe. This third installment was a lot, and I do mean a lot better.
The language was not as predictable, the stakes were higher and Calliope was simply more badass.
Amber Benson had already proved that she has an amazing imagination, but this time she took that imagination away from the clichés.
I loved the sea serpents. Jarvis is awesome. So is Runt. Granted, two out of three were in the last book too, b
Siobhan
Apr 01, 2011 Siobhan rated it it was amazing
I'm was very pleased with this (what I assume is the, but not necessarily) conclusion to the Calliope Reaper-Jones series. I've always had this sort of love/hate with Callie. I dislike her a lot in the beginning of each book, but like 3 chapters in I'm rooting for her full-force again. This book was no exception, except that she shook herself back together quicker, and hopefully she won't backslide again.

I think that Ms Benson has some great ideas, and characters, and I was really glad to spend
Michelle
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Yeah. Read the first chapter, got bored, skipped to the end, and found and she cheated on her boyfriend. Don't need or want to read about a heroine who cheats, no matter what her reasoning. I never liked her anyway. She was always so whiny and spoiled. So I am closing the book (figuratively and literally) on this series. If nothing is good enough for that snotty bee itch then I will not waste my time on her story. No great loss.
Christle Gray
May 11, 2011 Christle Gray rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series. Callie's honest, snarky POV really hooked me and I laughed more than once. However, this installment was much darker and serious, and didn't gel so well with me or the other books. It wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting. And I was less than satisfied with the ending. Still a good read, but definitely heavier than the previous ones in the series.
T.J.
Mar 13, 2013 T.J. rated it it was amazing
Firstly, is the title an innuendo or is it just me?

Secondly, another installment into the Calliope Reaper-Jones collection that I couldn't put down! As I read the book, I realised how genuine and real the characters are; none of them are perfect, and they are all similar to every day people, minus the supernatural element of course. Maybe.

To make this short and sweet, I loved it. I'm already on to the next one - How to be Death - and I can't wait to finish it!
Kathryn Tucker
Oct 29, 2013 Kathryn Tucker rated it really liked it
Best in the series so far. Callie finally grows up. I really hated her through the first two books but this one was the changeover. Amber Benson is a genius of character creation to take readers on such a dynamic ride with Calliope. I still can't say I like Callie but now I respect her and that is almost better. I've never read books before that make me feel this conflicted about the protagonist and yet still so drawn to the world.
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Alchemystic (The Spellmason Chronicles, #1)
  • Deadshifted (Edie Spence, #4)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • Buffy Goes Dark: Essays on the Final Two Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Television
  • Salt and Silver
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • The Devil's Backbone (Niki Slobodian, #5)
  • Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
  • Honeyed Words (Sarah Beauhall #2)
  • A Tale of Two Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #3)
  • Bone Gods (Black London, #3)
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • Pas (War of the Alphas #4)
  • Visions of Skyfire (Awakening, #2)
  • Werewolf Smackdown (Felix Gomez, #5)
More about Amber Benson...

Calliope Reaper-Jones (5 books)
  • Death's Daughter (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #1)
  • Cat's Claw (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #2)
  • How to be Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #4)
  • The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)