8,789 Words of Wisdom

8,789 Words of Wisdom

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  17 reviews
8,789 Words Of Wisdom is brimming with great advice, maxims, sayings and saws, proverbs, precepts and truths-8,789 of them, to be exact. Turn to any spot in the book and there is the secret to living a happier, healthier, saner, more productive life. Learn to unlearn. Appreciate the questions as much as the answers. Stretch beyond what is comfortable. There are folksy expr...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Workman Publishing Company (first published April 1st 2001)

Tim Gannon
This one was so-so - There were tons of repeats and near-repeats of the quotes - I think the amount of original quotes was less than 100. This one differed from previous texts in adding proverbs, precepts, maxims, adages, and axioms. Not even sure what most of those words mean, but it was written on the back cover so it must be true. Luckily I could still understand what I read.
Nicole
A great book full of advices. If you don't know what to do, open up a random page and read the first saying that catches your eye. Maybe it will help. I found a lot of comfort and new favorite sayings in this book.
Sherry Lam
A book where you can find inspiration from.
Syrlane Albuquerque
I'm giving three stars for this book because it is way too repetitive. It could be cut it down to 4,000 or even less words of wisdom.
Chantel
This is a book of quotes. I put it on the coffee table to pick up here and there to read. Unfortunately, I lost interest in it. There were a lot of good quotes, but it took a while to get through them.
Morgan
There were a lot of repeat quotes and a good chunk of them weren't even really 'words of wisdom'. They felt like my mother was nagging me. "Brush your teeth twice a day!" Thanks.
Lisa Ebarb
if I need my spirit to be lightened this is one of the books..I love just reading great quotes.funny n a lot of the time I feel better when I open up n read this book..
Heidi
Folksy wisdom in-artfully expressed, and to think there were 8,789 of these boring bits of advice - geez!! I returned the book for a full refund.
SmarterLilac
Slightly less soporific and condescending than its counterparts, but still nothing special.

My favorite: 'Buy comfortable furniture.'
~cowgirl J.~
Apr 10, 2008 ~cowgirl J.~ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Random thoughts and quotes for daily living and for help with having a better character everyday.
Lynne Hollingsworth
618 pages of shared wisdom, inspiration and quotes. A must read for all quote lovers.
This book helps get through my negative thoughts.
Vasilka
This is a neat little book w/ words of wisdom & quotes.
Karendillard
Happiness in book form...good for a pick-me-up.
Jimbo
Apr 15, 2013 Jimbo added it
Lots of wisdom!
Emma Ireland
Emma Ireland marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Chamelle
Chamelle marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Allahnah
Allahnah marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Alissa Chambers
Alissa Chambers marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Kamila Sandiego
Kamila Sandiego marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Renea Aaron
Renea Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
_incomplete_
_incomplete_ marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Everything Is Going to Be OK
  • Dream It. List It. Do It!: The 43things.com Guide to Creating Your Own Life List
  • The Non-Planner Datebook
  • My Future Listography: All I Hope to Do in Lists
  • 101 Things to Do Before You're Old and Boring
  • All About Me
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soul Mate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • 11,002 Things to Be Miserable About: The Satirical Not-So-Happy Book
  • The Happy Book
  • My Grammar and I... Or Should That Be Me?: How to Speak and Write It Right
  • The Book of Questions
  • Photoreading
14,000 Things to Be Happy About The Wish List Flip Dictionary Instant Karma The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders