Start by marking “Roget's International Thesaurus” as Want to Read:
Roget's International Thesaurus

Roget's International Thesaurus

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  557 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A classic reference book that has been used by millions all over the world, Roget's International Thesaurus is the product of more than a century and a half of continuous expansion, reorganization, and improvement. Today, this book is not only the most time-tested and bestselling thesaurus ever, but, newly revised, it is also the most up-to-date and comprehensive reflectio ...more
Hardcover, Indexed Sixth Edition, 1280 pages
Published November 15th 2001 by Collins (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Roget's International Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roget's International Thesaurus

Select the Right Word
Classification of Words
Key Words in Bold Type
Megan
Yes, I literally read the thesaurus. Twice. I'm not pretentious, I just love words!
Tomijo Gale
A desk without a good thesaurus is like a house without windows.
Peacenow
Besides being a "use-full" book, I consider Roget's a sort of "holy" book. I could write a book about this book; not a biography of the author, but, how this book can change one's life..., how it can guide and order a life. It has so much power. Perhaps I'll take on the project of explaining the way I perceive this book; how I use it. I've tried, verbally, but always fail and leave the listener yawning. I will work on it, and change this review when its done.

For now, let it suffice... get the ol
James
Just got this, and it's still the best - "The original Roget's", as the dust jacket says. The way it's organized is counter-intuitive, at least for me, but it works better than anything else I've found. I've been accumulating - collecting sounds too organized - dictionaries and thesauruses (thesauri?) since I was a teenager, and I always come back to the original-format Roget's. Believing that using exactly the right word is important, for me this book would be worth buying at twice the price.
Michael
It worked for Sylvia Plath!
Aldean
Nov 12, 2008 Aldean rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: word people
I forget the precise point in my life where I finally got my hands on this magnificent volume; it was either late in high school or in the ramp-up to college. But whenever it was, it was a watershed moment.

This is definitely a tool that takes some getting used to, particularly if you have already been using an alphabetical-entry thesaurus. The Roget's, with its categories and its massive index (it must be a third of the page count) was very daunting and a bit unfriendly to a young user. But once
Zhukora
Roget's unique categorical organization of words makes it an enduring classic. It was, perhaps, slightly more difficult to figure out how to use when I was a child than alphabetically-organized thesauri, but once I understood the system, Roget's helped engender a love of words in me that assured me top marks on the SAT, GRE, and the verbal sections of all other standardized tests. I actually read this thesaurus for fun![return][return]It seems odd to be so passionate about a reference book, but ...more
Mary Catelli
Usually I read a book twice, to be sure, before reviewing. This one, however, I haven't read through even once.

Roget's International Thesaurus was not designed to be read. It's wonderful for browsing, though.

The real charm to it is that it is organized by topic, not alphabetically. You can drill down from the overarching concepts or look up the section in the index in the back. But once you have gotten to it -- well, in an alphabetical one, since they have to repeat the synonyms for each word,
Patricia Burroughs
Aug 18, 2011 Patricia Burroughs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patricia by: Pamela Renner
Shelves: nonfiction, reference
A friend of mine scoffed at my high school era thesaurus, as she vastly preferred the older 1946 edition. Tracking down a copy for myself was the first step in what has turned into a collection of Roget's Thesauri. It's definitely different from the later editions. I can't say it's better or worse, but I do like checking between them from time to time when I'm not finding quite the right word.
Gary
Dec 29, 2007 Gary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
maybe one of the few books on my shelves really deserving the five-star rating.

indispensable.

i'm not sure if this edition has the format i prefer: a dictionary in the back, and the front arranged with synonyms opposite antonyms all arranged by concept (from abstract to specific)

not only indispensable but for anyone reading english as a second-language, required

Jorn Barger
Aug 22, 2007 Jorn Barger rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
the alphabetical versions are for cowards-- wrestle with the numbering system as a steppingstone to understanding the semantic web, etc
Brenda Moffitt
Best thesaurus ever! I own an old and battered third edition, but you couldn't pay me to part with it.
Textmaven
Roget is my hero. A marvel of hierarchies.
Don Gubler
Needed reference for writing and upgrading vocabulary.
Karen Jean Matsko Hood
A classic that everyone should read and read again.
HeavyReader
Jan 14, 2012 HeavyReader rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any and all writers
Recommended to HeavyReader by: Kathy Delcarpio
Even though I've had this book since I graduated from high school in 1989 (thanks Ms. Delcarpio!), I have not read the whole thing. Show me someone who has read the enitre Roget's Thesaurus, and I will applaud that person for being a bigger word geek than I am.

This book has helped me so much with my writing. When I need a new word, this book is where I turn. I love it!
Jewce
Yes, I read an entire thesaurus, thank you. I unpretentiously but diligently devoured it cover to cover in approximately 4 hours and now I am not bragging about it, but merely informing you of my accomplishment. Ah, the review. I found it trite, convoluted, and absurd. It was ingenuous in its rare attempts at humor.
Melanie
A gift from my dad--was it seventh grade? Sometime in middle school. And I took it to college with me. Forget Merriam-Webster online--this is one of my most valuable possessions! It's full of not just synonyms, but literary references and turns-of-phrase.

John
I don't know who this Roger guy is, but I have to say, this book confused the hell out of me. If there’s a plot, I couldn’t find one, or any main characters. Also, it seems awfully repetitive, and where the hell was the Minotaur?
Alan
I love this book. It's helped me when I've been stuck. Yes it's a thesaurus, but the information is pertinent to life. It will help you make connections you hadn't realize existed, and remind you of one's you've forgotten.
Kristina  UK
a fabulous reference tool for anyone that has to use the written word to communicate effectively. I couldn't live without a thesaurus in my house ok, well I probably could, but I woudn't want to!
Eric Nelson
Thesauruses are much better than Word's synonym finder--and this one is the best. This hard copy is much better than anything available online. More important tool for a writer than dictionary!
Marc Mayfield
Zipped through it cover to cover in one sitting! I just couldn't put it down, even though there's no plot to speak of. Lots of words for the money!
Patricia Burroughs
This is the latest edition to my collection of Roget's, and the only one that has an ISBN number. A must have for anyone who uses words.
Lisa
Roget's International Thesaurus (Harper colophon books) by Robert L Chapman (1990)
Brenton
the twists and turns this takes, it will just make your head spin... WITH DELIGHT!
Chaim
Unquestionably, the most cherished book on my bookshelf, by far!
Leonard Pierce
Everybody needs a good thesaurus, and this is a good thesaurus.
Barbara
A writer's handbook - shouldn't be without it.
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Bantam New College Latin and English Dictionary
  • The Oxford Companion to English Literature
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • 501 German Verbs
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Synonym Finder
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia
  • The Elements of Grammar
14,000 Things to Be Happy About The Wish List 8,789 Words of Wisdom Flip Dictionary Instant Karma