Thanks a Million

How do you say thanks?
With a flower?
With a chocolate bar?
With a surprise?

In sixteen extraordinary poems that range in form from a haiku to a rebus to a riddle, Nikki Grimes reminds us how wonderful it is to feel thankful, and how powerful a simple "thank you" can be.
Published March 1st 2006 by Greenwillow Books (first published February 28th 2006)

Paul  Hankins
The power of gratitude is explored in this collection of poems by NCTE Award Winning poet, Nikki Grimes. The phrase "thank you" is not only the theme, it is the study in this collection with touching poems about paying tribute to fathers taken for granted in "Shoe Surprise." The poem, "Shelter" will no doubt invite younger readers to think about other blessings that go unnoticed by some on a day to day basis. "A Lesson from the Deaf" is an invitation to learn to say "thank you" in another way, b...more
Emily
Thanks a Million is a collection of poems in various forms revolving around the theme of thanks –the power of the words ‘thank you,’ the emotion of gratitude, and being thankful for simple things. Thanks a Million would make a wonderful gift or read-aloud for a child. Grimes’ poems tend towards the sentimental, but considering the theme of the book is a sentiment, Grimes does not become overbearing. The narrative poems, like “Shelter” in which a homeless girl wishes for a home but expresses grat...more
Alicia Feller
This is an anthology of 16 poems that all revolve around the power of two little words: Thank You. Each poem shows something, someone, or some time to be thankful for and each situation is familiar to children, from being thankful for teachers, to getting notes in your lunch, to getting to spend time with Dad. The last poem is centered around Thanksgiving, but the book as a whole shows the readers that there are many things of which to be thankful for year round. Another superb feature of this b...more
Green Bean
"I tripped, / humiliated by / a loose lace. / Laughter scarred every single face / but yours. / Scout's honor, / I'll carry your backpack / forever." Grime's 16 poems are perfect reminders of all the big and small wonders we have to be thankful for; slam-dunking Papas, a spot on the swim team, help with the dirty dishes, math tutors, love notes in lunchboxes, weekends filled with skateboarding, and the kindness of strangers. Grime's inspires us to create our own pictogramic "thank you" collages,...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
While not a Thanksgiving book, this is a good one to read at Thanksgiving to remind us to be thankful for people and things around us. Nikki Grimes has written a group of poems about people in various situations, such as being in a homeless shelter or grieving the death of a loved one, being thankful. My favorite is the first poem, "Reward":

"Thank you"
is a seed I plant
in the garden
of your heart.
Your smile
is the flower.
A slow and sweet surprise,
it blooms before my eyes!

Lovely. The final poem, by...more
Heidi
Grades K-8
This beautiful picture book is a collection of poems that express gratitude to all types of people and things. The poetry forms are as diverse as the characters and images in Cozbi A. Cabrera's incredible paintings. Poetry forms include lyrical, acrostic, poems for two voices, and letters. The poems' subjects include friends, strangers, mothers, fathers, authors, places, God, and surprises like weekends and flowers. This book is a celebration, and will inspire children to give thanks i...more
Courtney Turpen
Thanks a Million is a wonderful book for children and maybe start their day. We all sometimes forget how grateful we are to have some of the people and things in our lives. This book shows children how they should be thankful and think about what is most important. The illustrations are beautiful and describe the poems well. Each turn of the page introduces something else to be thankful about. It might just remind kids to say thanks every once in a while.
Mrs.
Such a great poetry book about the power of "thank you." I think this would be a great example of poetry that students could write. I could use read this aloud as a mentor text and students can choose someone they would like to say thank you to, or they could write about a time when they said thank you to someone in an unconventional way (buying them a gift, doing a chore for them, etc.). I loved this book!
Becky Birtha
In Nikki Grimes's Thanks a Million, each poem presents a different way to say "thank you" and a different reason to do so. Cozbi Cabrera's bold bright paintings depict a multicultural cast of grateful children, who are aware of the everyday kindnesses they receive, and eloquent in acknowledging them.
Liz
This lovely book of poetry...saying thanks for all different things...just kept growing on me. I ended up being disappointed that I can't seem to get a copy of it for myself! Well, I did like the first poem--Reward--right from the start! Other favorites are: Dear Author, Even the Trees, and Shelter.
Carol
Year Published: 2006
Grade Level: 3-6

This book is full of poems about saying thank you. Nikki Grimes writes beautifully throughout this book to create the right words to say thank you and also to write beautiful language to show how you can say thank you!
Mommywest
This contemporary poetry book features people of varying backgrounds finding and expressing gratitude in unique ways. It will inspire your children to be thankful for things they may not have recognized were such great blessings.
Sarah Zimmer
This book consists of 16 different poems, with each of them discussing thankfullness and gratitude. The poems also have a story line. This is great for children to read so they are able to write down what they are thankful for.
Sydneia
This book is a wonderful collection of poems in which gratitude is expressed in different ways. The illustrations are nice, and the overall theme of giving thanks makes this a great book for children ages 6-9.
Doc-mok
Loved these poems about the power of and different ways to say thank you!
Amy
Poems for children about ordinary things like books and neighbors.
Nan
Poems for children by Nikki Grimes. Some good, some just okay.
Megan
Feb 08, 2013 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Poetry. Try again when they are older
Manu T.
Manu T. marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
A E
A E added it
Jul 22, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
MrsMaryLibrary
MrsMaryLibrary marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Isabel
Isabel added it
Nov 12, 2013
595AJ_Sharonda
595AJ_Sharonda marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Bronx Masquerade The Road to Paris Words with Wings Planet Middle School Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope