Start by marking “Welcome, Precious” as Want to Read:
Welcome, Precious

Welcome, Precious

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Literary award winners Nikki Grimes and Bryan Collier celebrate life, love, and family with this gorgeous new picture book.

"Welcome, Precious. Welcome to the warm circle of your daddy's arms, the slippery kisses of your giddy grandmother, and the cool tickle of Mommy's nose rubbing against your belly button."

Lulling, poetic text and captivating illustrations welcome a new
Published September 1st 2006 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Welcome, Precious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome, Precious

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineAmazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
African American Picture Books
160th out of 241 books — 64 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsTar Beach by Faith RinggoldCome On, Rain! by Karen HesseD Is for Drinking Gourd by Nancy I. SandersA Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams
Black History Month-Children's Books
109th out of 112 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
This book is great for many reasons. The first is that it shows diversity in a very good light. The characters in the book are not white, middle class Americans. However, they are shown in a positive light. This will help to bring diversity to a classroom without being over dramatic about it. Secondly, the book is about welcoming a new baby to the world. I think this book would help students that are experiencing a new addition to their family. This might be a brother, sister, niece, or grandson ...more
Pamela
"Welcome, Precious" by Nikki Grimes was okay. I enjoyed it in that it portrayed an African-American family in a positive light - just enjoying their child, and I believe that it's very important for my daughter to view those types of scenes. However, as I was reading it to my daughter, I noticed the language was a bit "over-her-head." I mean, while the words were simple, there were too many to go with just the one picture, and they did not call for the reader to be interactive at all. I think th ...more
Paul  Hankins
Nikki Grimes's gentle text is like a love letter to newborns coming into our world. And why wouldn't this make a nice bedside nursery read-aloud as an early experience between parent's and baby?

But more than this possibility is an opportunity to see the world through the lens of beauty and opportunity. And what better place to introduce this sentiment to the whole family than those early read-aloud experiences.

Collier's paintings are simply gorgeous. . .now. . .who do I know that is getting rea
Bethany
I feel that this book would be a bit indulgent for a parent to read to a child. For parents, it is touching and sentimental. A perfect time to read this is to a baby. The pictures are lovely for the baby to look at the parent can savor the beauty of the words. For children, I could take it or leave it.
Ms. Isreal
A cute picture book and a simple story about a young couple who welcomes their new born child into the world. I always like picture books with characters who look like they could be real people and in this book the illustrator uses this type of realism with the illustrations.
Susannah Goldstein
The art is really remarkable in this book, and the text is very sweet and hopeful. The last few pages of text were a bit too sentimental for my tastes, but overall I think it's a nice picture book. (I would've given it 3.5 if I could)
Simone
This is a wonderful story to read to siblings with a new baby in the family! It is touching and heart felt. Although the illustrations represent an African American family, the words don't specify a specific culture.
Michelle
I love illustrations by Bryan Collier so I did enjoy this book. There is one awkward illustration with the mom tickling the baby...other than that the water color collage was beautiful.
Claire
This book is about a family who is welcoming a new baby into their lives. It would be good book for children who have recently had a younger sibling born.
Ages 3-5
Roseann
A cute story that would make a lovely bedtime tale for a little one. It gives the hope of what the world has to offer and asks that the child only live and be happy.
Lucia
Sweet rhymes welcoming baby to the family. Beautiful illustrations, showing brown faces throughout. Love Nikki Grimes!
Erin
Introduce poetry to your little ones! Lots of description, some personification, simile/metaphor.
Angela
This was a long poem in book form. It is beuatiful.
Maureen
LUV this illustrator.
Chantelle Broughton
Chantelle Broughton marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia added it
Nov 16, 2014
Tahnee Hippolyte
Tahnee Hippolyte marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Stacy
Stacy added it
Aug 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Angels Mom
Angels Mom marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Alecia
Alecia added it
May 22, 2014
Willia-dean Lock
Willia-dean Lock marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Bronx Masquerade Words with Wings The Road to Paris Planet Middle School Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope