Start by marking “Welcome, Precious” as Want to Read:
Welcome, Precious

Welcome, Precious

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Literary award winners Nikki Grimes and Bryan Collier celebrate life, love, and family with this gorgeous new picture book.

"Welcome, Precious. Welcome to the warm circle of your daddy's arms, the slippery kisses of your giddy grandmother, and the cool tickle of Mommy's nose rubbing against your belly button."

Lulling, poetic text and captivating illustrations welcome a new
Published September 1st 2006 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Welcome, Precious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome, Precious

Carrie Gelson
A beautiful new baby book
Lauren
Dec 05, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This book is great for many reasons. The first is that it shows diversity in a very good light. The characters in the book are not white, middle class Americans. However, they are shown in a positive light. This will help to bring diversity to a classroom without being over dramatic about it. Secondly, the book is about welcoming a new baby to the world. I think this book would help students that are experiencing a new addition to their family. This might be a brother, sister, niece, or grandson ...more
Sadia
Nov 23, 2015 Sadia rated it really liked it
I have a criteria for rating baby board books based on different plus points mainly from my son's perspective. For this book, however, I rated high for myself. The illustrations are not as eye popping as most baby book illustrations, but they are artistic...more appreciable to an adult audience. The verse too is not rhythmic or fast paced enough to keep up with an impatient child, but the words are deep, beautiful and heartfelt.
Pamela
Nov 06, 2010 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: toddler-reads
"Welcome, Precious" by Nikki Grimes was okay. I enjoyed it in that it portrayed an African-American family in a positive light - just enjoying their child, and I believe that it's very important for my daughter to view those types of scenes. However, as I was reading it to my daughter, I noticed the language was a bit "over-her-head." I mean, while the words were simple, there were too many to go with just the one picture, and they did not call for the reader to be interactive at all. I think th ...more
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
A baby is welcomed into the world and told of simple pleasures ready to greet him. A fresh approach to a welcome baby book!
Paul  Hankins
Nikki Grimes's gentle text is like a love letter to newborns coming into our world. And why wouldn't this make a nice bedside nursery read-aloud as an early experience between parent's and baby?

But more than this possibility is an opportunity to see the world through the lens of beauty and opportunity. And what better place to introduce this sentiment to the whole family than those early read-aloud experiences.

Collier's paintings are simply gorgeous. . .now. . .who do I know that is getting rea
Bethany
May 11, 2010 Bethany rated it liked it
I feel that this book would be a bit indulgent for a parent to read to a child. For parents, it is touching and sentimental. A perfect time to read this is to a baby. The pictures are lovely for the baby to look at the parent can savor the beauty of the words. For children, I could take it or leave it.
Ms. Isreal
Nov 22, 2011 Ms. Isreal rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A cute picture book and a simple story about a young couple who welcomes their new born child into the world. I always like picture books with characters who look like they could be real people and in this book the illustrator uses this type of realism with the illustrations.
Susannah Goldstein
Aug 19, 2013 Susannah Goldstein rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
The art is really remarkable in this book, and the text is very sweet and hopeful. The last few pages of text were a bit too sentimental for my tastes, but overall I think it's a nice picture book. (I would've given it 3.5 if I could)
Simone
Sep 26, 2010 Simone rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story to read to siblings with a new baby in the family! It is touching and heart felt. Although the illustrations represent an African American family, the words don't specify a specific culture.
Michelle
Dec 01, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
I love illustrations by Bryan Collier so I did enjoy this book. There is one awkward illustration with the mom tickling the baby...other than that the water color collage was beautiful.
Claire
Oct 06, 2008 Claire rated it liked it
This book is about a family who is welcoming a new baby into their lives. It would be good book for children who have recently had a younger sibling born.
Ages 3-5
Roseann
Aug 04, 2009 Roseann rated it liked it
A cute story that would make a lovely bedtime tale for a little one. It gives the hope of what the world has to offer and asks that the child only live and be happy.
Lucia
Sweet rhymes welcoming baby to the family. Beautiful illustrations, showing brown faces throughout. Love Nikki Grimes!
Beth
Beautiful poem by Nikki Grimes accompanied by Bryan Collier's signature collage illustration style.
Erin
Nov 12, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Introduce poetry to your little ones! Lots of description, some personification, simile/metaphor.
Angela
Jan 31, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
This was a long poem in book form. It is beuatiful.
Maureen
Aug 17, 2007 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
LUV this illustrator.
Abby Pooch
Abby Pooch rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
hannah
hannah added it
May 03, 2016
Emily Childress-Campbell
Emily Childress-Campbell rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Racheal
Racheal rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Lindsay Beckman
Lindsay Beckman rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Lea
Lea added it
Apr 18, 2016
Renee` Hall
Renee` Hall rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Maeve
Maeve marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Shannan Hicks
Shannan Hicks rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016