Start by marking “Five Ways to Kill a Man” as Want to Read:
Five Ways to Kill a Man

Five Ways to Kill a Man (DCI Lorimer #7)

Faced with a string of unconnected victims, DCI Lorimer turns to psychologist and friend Solomon Brightman for his insights. Lorimer is also assigned to review the case of a fa
Published December 9th 2010 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Five Ways to Kill a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Ways to Kill a Man

Lainy
Apr 03, 2015 Lainy rated it liked it
Time taken to read - 5 days

Pages - 424

Publisher - Little, Brown Book Group

Blurb from Goodreads

A beautifully crafted, darkly atmospheric crime novel from one of Scotland's most talked-about crime writers An unpredictable killer is loose on the streets of Glasgow, experimenting with death. Beginning with brute force, the murderer moves on to poison and drowning, greedy for new and better ways to kill. Faced with a string of unconnected victims, DCI Lorimer turns to psychologist and friend Solomon
Valerie Penny
Sep 01, 2015 Valerie Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Gray comes from Glasgow, Scotland. I am delighted at how her writing has developed and strengthened as her writing career has progressed. When I read one of her early books, A Small Weeping, reviewed on this site at http://bookreviewstoday.info/2013/03/..., I did not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped to. However, when I heard her speak recently at the 67th Swanick Writers' Conference, I was struck by what an honest and unassuming woman she is, so I decided to try again. I enjoy crime fi ...more
Paul Penney
May 07, 2014 Paul Penney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 7th in the DCI Lorimer series, but it was the first (and last) I decided to try. It is called "Five Ways to Kill a Man", and in the first 5 chapters the reader finds out the first, second, and third ways, with a cold killer in Glasgow taking lives in vastly different ways. I was intrigued to find out the other two ways, so I read on, only to realize at about page 100 that one of those ways is to bore a reader to death with pointless drivel like descriptions of the city of Glasgow, nu ...more
Kellie
Feb 16, 2013 Kellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring read. The "red herring" was so overdone it was laughable. Even with the attempts to blame another character, it was obvious from the get go who the killer was - yet, we are left at the end to guess as to the motive, or should I say motives. The author painfully takes up pages and pages with minutia and details as to what a character is thinking or what a place looks like, or describing a memorial, and then when it comes to the meat and bones, the MOTIVE, we are left to assume (SPOILER ALE ...more
Suzan
Aug 19, 2012 Suzan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book cover says that Alex Gray does for Glasgow what Ian Rankin does for Edinburgh. I don't agree. And I wish I could give half stars. It's not a 4, but nor is it a 3. I enjoyed it - good psychological mystery, but a simplistic manner of writing that doesn't do justice to the depth of the characters or settings. All the elements are there. I just think it needed a bit more substance. It's not a Rankin, nor is it a Val McDermid, but on the other hand it was a good mystery and a nice change of ...more
Rog Harrison
I continue to read Alex Gray's books because her hero is a Glasgow detective. Several pages in when a character was introduced I suspected they were the murderer so the ending was no surprise. Having said that some of the action was exciting and well written.
Tony Wood
Dec 09, 2012 Tony Wood rated it it was ok
No real action till page 290! Well written though, don't think I'll be going out of my way to read any of his other books.
Pat
Apr 12, 2014 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from Alex Grey. Have read all the books in the series and have enjoyed them all.
Donna Irwin
May 02, 2012 Donna Irwin rated it it was ok
Apart from being set around where I live, not much there. Very lightweight.
David
Oct 06, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good story in this very good series set in Glasgow.
David
Jan 01, 2013 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
very slow not alot of action or excitment
Jenifer Mohammed
Feb 03, 2015 Jenifer Mohammed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
This was a fascinating mystery with fully fleshed out characters with pasts full of secrets some relevant while others were red herrings. Interestingly, Gray takes us into the mind of a beginning and evolving serial killer. I don't want to give spoilers by revealing too much. This is not a fast paced mystery but if you enjoy a slow revelation of information and a more character based thriller, you will love this book as much as I did.
Jan 10, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
I love a good crime thriller but this, while not being bad at all, was not especially good. It felt quite average. I have nothing particularly scathing to say about it, the writing was good, the plot was okay, and I had no problem with any of the characters or the way they were portrayed. It was just a bit meh, seen it before. So while I would say it was an okay read, I probably wouldn’t recommend it to someone who was looking for something really special to read.
Andrea
Apr 25, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scotland, mystery
Another satisfying mystery novel from this author, who writes about a detective working in and around Glasgow. There may have been a bit too much signaling of the killer's identity (I would have dropped the info about the brilliant psychologist/profiler, Solly's, forthcoming book if I'd been the editor), but otherwise, a cracking read.
Lynne Nicoll
Having read several of Alex Gray's novels I have to say this one was definitely not my favourite but I did persevere until the bitter end. It was a decent crime novel but unfortunately lacked the page turning, can't put this book down action that I enjoy in a book.
Robin
Jul 07, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this murder book. It kept u interested until the end. I am not sure the story is quite believable but that is not a flaw in this case. Some of the facts brought out in the book were very interesting.It is worth rereading
Robert Dunn
Just OK. Quite slow with domestic stuff for most of the book. It was not difficult to figure out who the killer was even though Gray kept pointing the reader to DI Martin.
Michelle Nangle
What a book.....started with a bang, then slowed down a bit before reaching the ultimate crescendo at the end. Complete page Turner. Loved that Flynn came back!!!

The killings in this book reached a new level, very disturbing and quite haunting.

I cried at The end, was heartbreaking.

Well done Alex, another fab read.
Melanie-ann Diesel
I loved this book! The dialogue is so well written and characters so likeable, this was a pleasure to read.
Jillymcp
Enjoyed especially as know the area so could put it into context easily.
Unmesh
Jun 15, 2014 Unmesh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Needed all my reserves of patience to get through this
Samantha Rich
Apr 24, 2016 Samantha Rich rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
Solid 3.5

"An unpredictable killer is loose on the streets of Glasgow, experimenting with death."
A well written crime novel. I enjoyed the storyline and actually quite liked the main character DCI Lorimer. I also really like Alex Gray's writing style.

I also quite enjoyed how concerned people got when they saw the title of this book and I had to explain it was fictional not reference :')
Charlotte
Jun 10, 2013 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well done addition to the Lorimer/Brightman series. Although I skipped a few "episodes" to get to this one, I did not feel as left out as one could in a less skillfully tied-in book. I am excited to read the ones following, and eager to find the ones in-between to get the full picture.

A shocking turn of events and a brutally cold killer make for a fine read.
Jeanette
Mar 10, 2015 Jeanette rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by Alex Gray. I must admit that I was a little undecided as to whether I would give it 3 or 4 stars. This is where perhaps a half star would have been ideal. I did guess who the killer was quite early into the book. I prefer books that keep me guessing a little longer. On the whole it was a good read.
Sara
Oct 31, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex-grey
She gets better each time.
Louise Smith
May 17, 2015 Louise Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I didn't think any book could have gotten better than Glasgow kiss...how wrong was I? Was gripped from the first chapter and loved how the story ended, I speed read the last 10 chapters as I wanted to find out the ending, another great book by Alex gray.
Simon Gosden
Aug 01, 2010 Simon Gosden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping and surprising crime thriller set in Glasgow. DCI Lorimer is investigating a horrific house fire and the sudden death of three elderly women. But suddenly his own family are under threat....
Joy
another great read from Alex Gray! kept me interested right till the end, although I had worked out whodunnit by then. would recommend any of these books - but do read them in order
Sue
Aug 28, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detectives
Although I guessed who did it quite early I still found this a satisfying read, and I liked the poem.
Petrina
Dec 13, 2011 Petrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Fairly routine thriller. I like it when I know all the locations though.
  • Mosaic
  • Cradle to Grave (DI Marjory Fleming #6)
  • Random
  • Jacquot and the Waterman (Daniel Jacquot #1)
  • A Death In Calabria
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • A Fear Of Dark Water (Jan Fabel, #6)
  • Chasers
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • Web of Deceit
  • The Blue Demon (Nic Costa, #8)
  • Good People
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • Torn (CSI Reilly Steel, #2)

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else
  • A Small Weeping
  • Shadows of Sounds
  • The Riverman
  • Pitch Black
  • Glasgow Kiss
  • Sleep Like The Dead
  • A Pound of Flesh
  • The Swedish Girl (DCI Lorimer, #10)
  • The Bird That Did Not Sing (DCI Lorimer)