Start by marking “Players: Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, and Scam Artists” as Want to Read:
Players: Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, and Scam Artists

Players: Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, and Scam Artists

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Once I hear the clatter of chips I almost go into convulsions," said Dostoyevsky, while Anatole France wrote, "The gambler is driven by the fascination of danger at the bottom of all great passions." The characters the reader meets in Players—chess grand masters, poolroom hustlers, or street-hardened practitioners of the short con—are all alike propelled by the ecstasy of ...more
Published December 31st 2002 by Running Press (first published December 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Players, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Players

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Odyssey by HomerRed Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch
Con Men, Gamblers and Hustlers
198th out of 200 books — 88 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Glass Bead Game by Hermann HesseEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardChess Story by Stefan ZweigThe Luzhin Defense by Vladimir Nabokov
Game Theory
188th out of 194 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Bobby
Jul 15, 2008 Bobby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, Scam Artists...They're all here, and they all want your money. And they'll stop at nothing to get it. It's a beautiful thing.

This anthology explores the many facets of The Grift, in all it's wonderful variations. Pool halls, poker games, lotteries, long cons and short cons. And an army of writers with enough muscle to strong arm the cash right out of your hand.

Masters like Dostoyevsky and Borges rub shoulders with modern mavericks like Nick Tosches and Harlan Ellison
flannery
A cheesily packaged but surprisingly well curated collection of stories and shorts. Hardly any clunkers! And who knew I'd like this passage from some obscure self-help book as much as I do:

"The strategy, 'Fake it till you make it' is a way of lying consciously. This means that we know we are faking it; we know we are wearing a mask, and we give ourselves permission to do so without self-judgment, without justification, without making any excuses. 'Fake it till you make it' means we are acting; w
Jeff
Good and fun, certainly worth a read if you're into this stuff. One or two pieces may have run a bit long, e.g. the Pushkin piece, but some pieces are longer and worth it. This is the kind of anthology where I'll probably pick up two or three books to read based on seeing excerpts here.
Adam Garbinski
Sep 13, 2007 Adam Garbinski rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
this anthology was a gift to my roommate from his then girlfriend. i think i snagged it and read it first.

it's pretty amazing, features authors such as Borges, Baudelaire, Dostoevsky, Luc Sante, Runyon, Brecht, Saul Bellow, Nick Pileggi, Hunter Thompson, David Mamet, Nick Tosches and Martin Amis.

It's a hard book to describe, since it's a collection of pieces loosely based on gambling and con men. It is way better than I thought it would be. Couldn't put it down... ha... reading cliche.
Richard
A great anthology of shorts and excerpts from longer works dealing with all aspects of con men and gamblers. You get everybody from Borges to Jim Thompson to David Mamet, My big discovery here was Nick Tosches, whom I'd heard of but never read . The excerpt from his book Cut Numbers made me run out and get it, and I'm looking forward to digging into it.
Saanvi Kothari
I loved reading about history’s known and unknown grifters. This book had pieces by some of my favorite writers too including Hunter S. Thompson and Saul Bellow. A great find that I recommend to any devious mind.
J
J marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Michelle Keefe
Michelle Keefe marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Jarryd B
Jarryd B marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Radosław Wilski
Radosław Wilski marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Shawn Merchant
Shawn Merchant marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
G
G marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Namakkal Keerumbar
Namakkal Keerumbar marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Kenji
Kenji marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Morgan Pi
Morgan Pi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Malik Wingate
Malik Wingate marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Etain Feeley
Etain Feeley marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Matías Kornacher
Matías Kornacher marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Patrick Turner
Patrick Turner marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014