Start by marking “Players: Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, and Scam Artists” as Want to Read:
Players: Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, and Scam Artists

Players: Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, and Scam Artists

"Once I hear the clatter of chips I almost go into convulsions," said Dostoyevsky, while Anatole France wrote, "The gambler is driven by the fascination of danger at the bottom of all great passions."

The characters the reader meets in Players—chess grand masters, poolroom hustlers, or street-hardened practitioners of the short con—are all alike propelled by the ecstasy of
Published December 31st 2002 by Running Press (first published December 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Players, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Players

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime
505 books — 505 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Glass Bead Game by Hermann HesseChess Story by Stefan ZweigThe Player of Games by Iain M. Banks
Game Theory
223 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Bobby
Jul 15, 2008 Bobby rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Con Men, Hustlers, Gamblers, Scam Artists...They're all here, and they all want your money. And they'll stop at nothing to get it. It's a beautiful thing.

This anthology explores the many facets of The Grift, in all it's wonderful variations. Pool halls, poker games, lotteries, long cons and short cons. And an army of writers with enough muscle to strong arm the cash right out of your hand.

Masters like Dostoyevsky and Borges rub shoulders with modern mavericks like Nick Tosches and Harlan Ellison
flannery
May 21, 2012 flannery rated it it was amazing
A cheesily packaged but surprisingly well curated collection of stories and shorts. Hardly any clunkers! And who knew I'd like this passage from some obscure self-help book as much as I do:

"The strategy, 'Fake it till you make it' is a way of lying consciously. This means that we know we are faking it; we know we are wearing a mask, and we give ourselves permission to do so without self-judgment, without justification, without making any excuses. 'Fake it till you make it' means we are acting; w
Adam Garbinski
Sep 13, 2007 Adam Garbinski rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this anthology was a gift to my roommate from his then girlfriend. i think i snagged it and read it first.

it's pretty amazing, features authors such as Borges, Baudelaire, Dostoevsky, Luc Sante, Runyon, Brecht, Saul Bellow, Nick Pileggi, Hunter Thompson, David Mamet, Nick Tosches and Martin Amis.

It's a hard book to describe, since it's a collection of pieces loosely based on gambling and con men. It is way better than I thought it would be. Couldn't put it down... ha... reading cliche.
Richard
Nov 26, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
A great anthology of shorts and excerpts from longer works dealing with all aspects of con men and gamblers. You get everybody from Borges to Jim Thompson to David Mamet, My big discovery here was Nick Tosches, whom I'd heard of but never read . The excerpt from his book Cut Numbers made me run out and get it, and I'm looking forward to digging into it.
Saanvi Kothari
Jul 12, 2013 Saanvi Kothari rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about history’s known and unknown grifters. This book had pieces by some of my favorite writers too including Hunter S. Thompson and Saul Bellow. A great find that I recommend to any devious mind.
Jeff
Dec 22, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
Good and fun, certainly worth a read if you're into this stuff. One or two pieces may have run a bit long, e.g. the Pushkin piece, but some pieces are longer and worth it. This is the kind of anthology where I'll probably pick up two or three books to read based on seeing excerpts here.
Jeremy Toeman
Jeremy Toeman rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Peter McDermott
Peter McDermott rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Veleda
Veleda rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Adam Corvo
Adam Corvo rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2017
Duke Cullinan
Duke Cullinan rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Peer Nyberg
Peer Nyberg rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Danny Saad
Danny Saad rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Dean Irshad
Dean Irshad rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Jarrod Burris
Jarrod Burris rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2011
Aisha
Aisha rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Thomas Thompson
Thomas Thompson rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Dan Port
Dan Port rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2009
George
George rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Girinandini
Girinandini rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2008
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2007
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Marc Jones
Marc Jones rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Vasileios
Vasileios rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2007
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2007
Robert
Robert is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2008
Brett
Brett added it
Feb 21, 2009
S. R.
S. R. marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2009
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2010
Nascha
Nascha marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2010
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2010
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2010
Nina
Nina added it
Jan 28, 2011
Ania
Ania marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2011
S.C.
S.C. marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2011
Shannon Barber
Shannon Barber marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2011
Keegan Allen
Keegan Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2012
William Hua
William Hua marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2012
Aidan
Aidan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2012
Akash Jindal
Akash Jindal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Jared
Jared added it
Jan 03, 2013
Chris Wahlers
Chris Wahlers marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
David
David added it
Jan 26, 2013
Paul Hamilton
Paul Hamilton marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Darr
Darr marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Ismael Galvan
Ismael Galvan marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013