Start by marking “Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep” as Want to Read:
Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep

Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep (Emily Windsnap #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  5,074 ratings  ·  279 reviews
Picture an island set in a glittering blue sea, sparkling with white sand and palm trees, a secret place where humans and merfolk live together. To Emily Windsnap - half mermaid, half human - her new home is perfect. That is, until Emily ruins everything by waking a legendary sea monster known as the kraken from its hundred-year sleep. . . . An enchanting tale with a fabul ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published January 1st 2004)

Dawn (& Ron)
Jun 08, 2012 Dawn (& Ron) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love mermaid tales, action adventure tales
Read for Anna's ABC&D bookclub

This book picks up shortly after the events of book 1, The Tail of Emily Windsnap. Flipping fins, their lives at Allpoints island begins with 12 year old Emily, excited about her new home, still has the same fears she did in her old home of being different and not fitting in. Her efforts t to impress brings out the bogey-mer of merfolks nightmares and she's the only one who can fix it.

"It lends itself to a touch of insomnia, getting stranded on an island the si
Debbie
Sep 13, 2007 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Emily is all set to live happily ever after with her parents, but of course it doesn't work out that way. In trying to fit in and make friends, Emily accidentally awakens the Kraken. It looks like the Kraken will destroy Allpoints Island--unless Emily can find a way to avert disaster. Her old enemy, Mandy, shows up to further complicate matters.

Not quite as good as the first book in the series, but cute.
Emily
This book is about Emily has found her dad and goes to live and allpoints island. When she her friend shona and two other girls go to show emily around the school emily an dshona tresspass in neptunes territories and accidentaly wake the kraken witch is one of neptunes most powerful sea cratures. Now shona is mad at emily for making her go and the only people who the kraken listens to is the people who wake it. But know emily has to get shona to help her. How will she? for more information read ...more
Hadessephy
This is a cute series for young girls but I think I am a little too old for it. I like most mid grade books but this series is at the younger end. That being said I still want to finish the series. I love how Neptune puts on an air that he doesn't care but all always does the right thing. I'm glad that Emily and Mandy made up at the end and I liked how the author showed both sides. Over all Emily is a nice girl and I'm glad she has her good friend.
Jen
Jul 01, 2009 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read the first one
Shelves: 2009
Pamela S
This book is a sequel to the first book. To understand this book more, i highly recommend to read the first book first (the tail of emily windsnap). This book gave the funny feeling of being scared at a time while still wanting to know what happens next. Very engaging but a little bit intense, more intense than the first book. An enchanting fantasy with a fabulous monster, a cast of engaging, funny characters, plenty of mermaid magic and a page-turning story. Well written and swiishyyy!!!
Kathy
Emily who is half mermaid goes to live with her Mom (a human) and dad (a Merman) on All Points Island--a beautiful place. Emily enjoys playing with her best friend Shona and other mermaids, but then on a dare goes where she shouldn't and awakens a horrible monster the Kracken who just happens to be Neptune's pet. Things get complicated and dangerous in this hidden island tucked away in the Bermuda Triangle.
Amy
Ok, I know that the protagonist in the story is a seventh grader. I did not expect a sexy time book. However, when you paint the beautiful picture of the father living underneath the boat with trap doors in every room so that Emily and her mom can easily talk to the dad, the merman, anytime they want, my curiosity was piqued. Ok, so he doesn't get legs and walk on land? Apparently only half human offspring do that. So... How exactly did Jake and Mary date? How did they get married? Just how we'r ...more
Patricia

It was a terrific book. I don't have a favorite part because I loved it ALL! I also finished it in 2 days because it was so good. On got to go and start book 3.
Kitkat
It was really good!
Kate
After a fun and rollickingly funny first entry in the Emily Windsnap series, Kessler disappointed me greatly with this second offering. Characters who had been dynamic and alive in the previous book just fell flat, partly because so much of the book was consumed with Emily whining about how she wanted everyone to like her, and now no one would like her because she'd released the kraken. Uh, Emily honey? Not only will no one like you, no one will be alive!

The bigger issue (and I say this with ful
Still fun, still appealing to middle-grade girls, although the low self-esteem and drama of the girls in the books started to annoy me after a while. The other thing that I didn't like so much was that the main character was, although understandably excited to learn more about, and fit into, mermaid/merman culture, it seemed like she also didn't mind shunning human culture, because mermaid/merman culture was "better." I know that this is supposed to be lighthearted, middle-grade book, but the fa ...more
Hannah
This book is only 184 pages long, so if you're looking for a sort of quick read, then chose this, because I read this series out of order (3,1,2,4,5) and I still understood it, it doesn't really matter too much. Also, this isn't the best on in the series (the best one according to me is Emily Windsnap and the castle in the mist) it is still good.
Emily and her family go to live on a island like paradise where humans and mermaids can live together in peace, well, peace until Emily awakens the Kra
Erin
Very standard kid book about fitting in and doing stuff you shouldn't do. Not impressed and may not finish. I didn't read the first one, so maybe the author explains better how movement and speech take place? Is she underwater most of the time? How does her dad interact with the family? Just by popping up through the trapdoors? I find I am too distracted by trying to figure out the mechanics of all of the interactions.

ETA: I finished it. It's dumb.
Dina
Orignially this book was suppose dto be fro my sister. I actually picked up this book for 65 cents at a yard sale a couple years ago. I never actually had the chance to give the book to her and after awhile i forgot. Earlier this year i was looking throught my library at home and found it collecting dust. It was the only book on the shelf that i hadnt already read.
The book was a sequal of another book. It was based on the life of a tennage mermaid whose father is a merman but has a mortal mot
Brandy
Apr 03, 2008 Brandy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: childrens
This book wasn't as good as the first book. The idea behind the story is pretty good and even entertaining, but the thing that annoys me so much is the main characters. They are very immature and they way the author writes their thoughts is so juvinelle. Things like "I can't believe they don't like me, nobody ever likes me anyway". It got old really fast. This book will never win an award. It isn't one of those books where kids can read it and be inspired by a good grounded main character. It is ...more
Mary:)
I read the book when I was ten years old and I am still HOOKED on the series.The plotline makes you dive in the deep and the temptation to explore the secrets of the sea grows bigger and bigger inside you.A big WOW to Liz Kessler for making "fairy tales" about mermaids seem so cool!!!I am obsessed with the whole Emily Windsnap series❤
Sandie
I really enjoyed this book. Its the second book in the series....and picks up pretty much where the first book left off.

I got into this book a little bit more then the first one, it had a bit more action and drama to it. Emily is very happy about finding her father but having never had a dad she isn't really sure how to relate to him. Her dad loves her very much but still thinks of her as a very young child and is also unsure how to relate to her. She still feels like the outsider and is unsure
Talia
The second story in this series finds Emily going to her new home in the tropics, where she and her parents will live on an island where merfolk and humans live in harmony! But Emily wonders if she will ever truly fit in as a half-mermaid, half-human. Emily and BFF Shona are exploring the caves within the island when they accidentally wake up the Kraken, a giant, terrible monster that wreaks havoc in the ocean, destroying boats and endangering the secret merfolk island. In light of the possible ...more
Boo A-c
Fun book for younger girls but with MERMAIDS. yes mermaids. this book is really fun. The illustrations are so beautiful, This is such a fun book.
For Fans of: mermaids, adventures, girl characters
What Next: Fairy Dust by Gwyneth Rees, The Sisters 8 series, Ottoline at sea
Rebecca Stonehill
This book had two stories in it and that really worked. I loved the characters because they're all mermaids and I liked King Neptune too. I would recommend this book because it is magical, dramatic and engaging.

Review by Maya, Rebecca's 8 year old daughter
Alexa

I believe the culture affects the story most. Emily lives on Allpoints Island, an island created by Neptune for people like her. When she is adventuring with her best friend, Shona, they awaken an ancient creature. The Kraken.

Pages:224
Alison Stadt
Emily windsnap finds out that there is a sea monster in the ocean. All the mermaids and all the mermen try to fight this horrible creature. Emily windsnap also tries to help. This time she almost dies but she doesn't. What happens to the sea monster?
Well just read to find out.
Ainsley
This book was full of cool, fun, thrilling, and action packed pages.It sucks you in.A very good book.A wonderful lesson to learn too.It had a little bit of boring parts, but then again, what book doesn't?No one dies in the end, does wonderful explaining, and great story telling.It also has a wonderful happy ending.Definitely earns a 5 star.
Sylvie Racicot
It was a really good book because you learned a little about Emily and how she acted, and what she liked, and what she disliked, and you really wanted to know what would happen next.
In the second installment of the Emily Windsnap series, Emily unknowingly unleashes a horrible monster with potentially devastating results for her friends, family, and all the mer-people living on her new home, Allpoints Island. She must face her fears to overcome the creature and save her loved ones.

I actually liked this book better than the first Emily Windsnap book. I read this with my six year old daughter. And while I was afraid it was a little scary for her in a couple of parts, she loved
Alicia Jespersen(BehindThePicketFence)
Just as cute as the first book. Emily Windsnap and her Friend Shona are ready to explore their new home, and when they do the awaken something that many had forgotten about. Now they are the only one who can save their friends and families.

I really enjoyed this second book in the Emily Windsnap series, and I can't wait to see what happens next!
Ayesha
This book was a great edition to the series i have been re-reading it and i really enjoyed this book i think a lot of people could enjoy this childrens book
Alaissa
Jul 19, 2014 Alaissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Read the first book before this one, it will make more sense.
This book is pretty great just like the first. I still like then first one more in my opinion. This series is the best!
the sequal to emily windsnap 7 19 Jun 21, 2014 03:18PM
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • The Deep (Ingo, #3)
  • The Dragon Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #6)
  • Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand
  • Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3)
  • To Catch a Mermaid
  • Diary of a Fairy Godmother
  • Felix, Net i Nika oraz Pałac Snów (Felix, Net i Nika, #3)
  • Rani in the Mermaid Lagoon (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #5)
  • The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
  • Prilla and the Butterfly Lie (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #8)
  • The Meanest Doll in the World (Doll People, #2)
  • Sleeping Beauty: The One Who Took the Really Long Nap (Twice Upon a Time, #2)
  • Silvermist and the Ladybug Curse (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #12)
  • Beck Beyond the Sea (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #10)
Liz Kessler is the author of three novels about Philippa Fisher as well as the NEW YORK TIMES best-selling Emily Windsnap series. She lives in Manchester, England.
More about Liz Kessler...
The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1) Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist (Emily Windsnap, #3) Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret (Emily Windsnap, #4) Philippa Fisher's Fairy Godsister (Philippa Fisher, #1) A Year Without Autumn