Start by marking “A Herança de Eszter” as Want to Read:
A Herança de Eszter

A Herança de Eszter

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  921 ratings  ·  134 reviews
Durante vinte anos Eszter viveu uma existência cinzenta e monótona, fechada sobre si própria, esperando a morte e sonhando com o retorno de um amor impossível.
Até ao dia em que, inesperadamente, recebe um telegrama de Lajos, o único homem que amou e graças ao qual encontrou, por um breve período, sentido para a sua vida.
Grande sedutor e canalha sem escrúpulos, Lajos não só...more
Published July 2006 by Edições Dom Quixote (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about A Herança de Eszter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Herança de Eszter

Stephen P
Apr 30, 2014 Stephen P rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephen by: Proustitute, M.Sarki
I complain about there being no POMO. I Sshhh myself. But there are no abrupt shifts. Where are those sharp slaying edges? Sshhh, I repeat. I know it's no use. I know him. He'll keep turning the pages. He's full of hope and patience. I slur a remark. How could he have heard? I hate it when he presses a finger against his lips, snatching away my popcorn and making threats neither of us believe he will or can carry out. I read with him one eye open. By the time I open the other it is too late.

On t...more
Brian
Jan 06, 2014 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: Proustitute

This beautiful and overlooked novella from an unknown (BURIED, much?) Hungarian author hits all the right notes in telling a story of Esther, our narrator, and her past coming through to her present on a Sunday afternoon. Her old flame is back in town after a 20 year absence - his unexpected arrival forces an aged Esther and her remaining family to deal with their future in light of the past. How much truth is in those memories? As new information about the past is revealed, Esther and her exten...more
Fewlas
Mi aspettavo di trovare la sorella del generale de ”Le braci”, oppure la cugina ungherese della sconosciuta di Zweig, e invece ho trovato un personaggio diverso, decisamente poco convincente. A dirla tutta l’intero romanzo mi è sembrato poco convincente, un altro mondo rispetto a ”Le braci”. I temi sono gli stessi: l’attesa, l’importanza delle solitarie meditazioni che segnano l’attesa, i rimpianti di cui non si ha piena coscienza, l’assoluta potenza imperiosa dell’Intenzione. Márai è davvero br...more
M. Sarki
Another brilliant Márai example for the economy of words. Meant, I think, for persons of age, older people who have already had a life and either made something of it or left it unrequited. I am not convinced a younger person would derive any great pleasure from reading this book or be enlightened enough by it to actually change their direction. It seems to me that a long accomplishment would enhance the reading and offer a like-minded view of long living. Of course, it is possible, that a young...more
Victor
Um livro onde apetece entrar história dentro e partir a cara à chapada ao personagem Lajos. Impressionante a revolta que cria. Mas que filho da puta! Um burlão sem qualquer escrúpulo, manipulador, sedutor, sem pingo de moral. O primeiro livro que leio onde realmente me apetece transformar em carne picada uma personagem.!

Vale a pena ser lido. A personagem amoral Lajos é daquelas que ficam para sempre.

Este livro está com uma pontuação de 3,47 no goodreads, A sombra do Vento 4,20!!! Puta que pariu,...more
Briynne
I am developing a minor obsession with Sandor Marai novels. This one is on par with the brilliance of Embers, which delighted me since I was a bit disappointed with The Rebels. There is such a gorgeous compressed emotional language in his writing that gives it an air of poetry rather than prose. Properly speaking, I would class this as a novella ; it’s short in length and time frame and deals with a single main theme - the lies others tell us and the lies we tell ourselves. But from that one the...more
James
"Suddenly I felt a great calm descend on me: I knew Lajos had come because he had no choice, and that we were welcoming him because we had no choice, and the whole thing was as terrifying, as unpleasant, and as unavoidable for him as it was for us."(p 53)

When a story is told in the first person you must ask yourself to what extent she is a reliable narrator. In Esther's case I found her invoking God (fate) in the first line of the book in which she would narrate events about a day from three yea...more
Jim
It seems that Marai's novels (based on the two I have read) are based on moral crises of a high order, and always lit by candlelight. The English translation of Embers caused a stir when it was published in 2001. Now Esther's Inheritance, which was written in 1939, was likewise turned into English in 2008 by the same excellent translator, George Szirtes.

Picture to yourself two aging women living by themselves when lightning strikes. The former love of one of them, an irresponsible Harold Skimpol...more
Roberto
Eszter, la protagonista che narra la storia, vive un'esistenza silenziosa e appartata nell'attesa del ritorno del suo unico e incompiuto amore, Lajos: uno spregevole dongiovanni, un bugiardo, spergiuro e debitore perenne che vent'anni prima l'aveva ingannata e alla fine aveva sposato, senza amore, Vilma, la sorella di Eszter.

Eszter da vent’anni insegue nel ricordo questo suo grande amore e attende il ritorno di Lajos per avere la spiegazione di quel gesto che ha sospeso la sua esistenza. Alla su...more
Maria Grazia
Tre lettere d'amore, questa è l'unica eredità di Eszter, tutto quello che le resta della sua vita persa dietro ad un uomo egoista e bugiardo, uno splendido malandrino che le ha portato via tutto quello che aveva nella vita, compreso il futuro.
Sembra una storia romanticissima, ma è solo il tipo di amore che si aspettavano gli uomini al tempo di Marai, e forse ancora oggi.
Fiona
This is a short, and beautifully written book. It begins with Esther three years after the story begins, who has decided to write down what happened when Lajos returned and stole everything.

It was first published in its original Hungarian in 1939, the year the second world war began. Márai was profoundly anti-fascist. Whilst there are no obvious allusions to fascism or Nazism, the novel is I believe an allusion to what had been happening within Europe during the 1930’s.

Lajos calmly walked back i...more
Ginny_1807
Evidentemente quello dell’attesa è un tema caro a Márai; qui tuttavia viene sviluppato in tono meno convincente rispetto a “Le braci”. Anche i protagonisti non appaiono delineati con sufficiente vigore, risultando in tal modo sciapi e diafani, privi insomma di quella concretezza di presenza e di temperamento che consente ai grandi personaggi letterari di emergere dalla pagina scritta per proiettarsi nella realtà.
Senza dubbio al mio mancato apprezzamento di questo romanzo, che pure ha il pregio...more
Sebastián
Es la primera novela que leo de Márai y me dio bastante qué pensar. Primero, debo decir que la prosa es tan fluida que lo leí en una sola sentada antes de dormirme. Luego, cosas más puntuales:

* Al principio me frité un poco con la idea de ir construyendo una imagen del antagonista como un culebrero de los mil demonios que se sale con la suya siempre, frente al cual nadie tiene voluntad ni poder. Empecé un poco a aburrirme con el aparente patetismo de Eszter y su resignación a un "destino" decidi...more
Silvéria Miranda

(...) Do mesmo autor já tinha lido "As velas ardem até ao fim", embora, confesso, já não me lembre da história. Mas lembro-me que se lia muito rapidamente e que, tal como este "A herança de Eszter", é daqueles livros introspectivos. Penso que gostar ou não destes livros vai depender muito do estado de espírito que o leitor atravessa no momento.

Neste livro, temos uma Eszter que há 20 anos não vê o amor da sua vida, Lajos, sendo que esse homem foi casado com...more
Milli
This is probably considered "good literature", but women who continue to make not smart choices and wrap their lives up around a lousy man - especially when they know he is lousy - annoy me. I can forgive character flaws many times, but not endlessly.
Orsolya
A visit from a past love (whether unrequited or one which has run its course); is not what most would consider an ideal situation. This is precisely the arena which Sandor Marai, one of Hungary’s most prolific authors, explores in “Esther’s Inheritance”.

Esther is an elderly spinster living with her fellow spinster cousin when Lajos decides to visit after a 20 year hiatus. Who is Lajos? The husband of Esther’s deceased sister – a man whom Esther fancied first before he married her sister. The pl...more
Natacha Martins
Bem, este foi de leitura rápida! E não foi só por ser pequeno, foi mais porque a história é boa e a escrita é tão fluída e tão próxima que, quase temos a sensação de estar a ouvir a história da boca da própria Eszter, sentada à nossa frente em jeito de confidência. E seria de mau tom interromper Eszter, pelo que "ouvimos" cheios de curiosidade e com algum fascínio as confissões desta mulher, que nos abre o seu coração de uma forma desprendida, como se já nada mais interessasse.
É realmente pertur...more
Arwen56
E' una specie di Cronaca di una morte annunciata questo romanzo, ma scritto coi decadenti modi dell'est europeo, invece che coi ritmi incalzanti di un rullo di tamburi che arriva dal sudamerica.

E quindi, necessariamente, inevitabilmente e fatalmente Eszter "morirà", sia pur metaforicamente invece che materialmente, ma senza aver mai vissuto, e illudendosi di aver trovato per sé la pirandelliana "vestina per coprire gli ignudi".

Ma non esistono "vestine" di tal fatta, nella realtà. L'amaro calic...more
İlhan Kesken
Eszter mi eşsiz bir azize, Lajos mu su katılmamış bir hıyar ...

"Asıl olan niyettir, niyeti iyiyse kişinin sonuçlara bakmamak gerekir"

Benim gibi şövenist ruhlu olanlarınız bir çırpıda buna katılacaklardır. "Çok doğru !" dediğinizi duyar gibiyim...

Ancak, sonuçlar ısrarla ve istikrarla olumsuz ise ...

Ziya Paşa 'nın
"Âyinesi iştir kişinin lafa bakılmaz / Şahsın görünür rütbe-i aklı eserinde"
sözleri geliyor akla ister istemez hatta aynı düşünürün
"Nush ile yola gelmeyeni etmeli tekdir / Tekdir
Semnebune
În această carte autorul tratează o temă care pe mine m-a interesat de multă vreme şi despre care am vrut mereu să aflu mai multe. Nu e atât o temă, cât mai mult o patologie, o înclinaţie a anumitor oameni spre un soi anume de indivizi. Pe scurt, în roman se vorbeşte despre dragostea unei femei, Eszter, pentru Lajos. Dragostea lor este mai mult sau mai puţin împlinită, depinde ce înţelege fiecare prin dragoste împlinită. Dacă iubirea necondiţionată, reciprocă, dar neconsumată până la capăt vi se...more
Sam
Ein Kleinod an Charakterzeichnung, auch wenn es beizeiten zu knapp und kalkuliert bleibt. Beizeiten herrlich altmodische Sprache, hier hat die Übersetzerin anschaulich und zufriedenstellend gearbeitet. Irgendwie fehlt trotzdem etwas; "Das Vermächtnis der Eszter" bleibt einfach zu grob und oberflächlich um tatsächlich unter die Haut zu gehen. Auch das Ende ist verwirrend. Eszter, Nunu und die anderen sind typisch fatalistische Verlierertypen die sich einlullen lassen von den ständigen Lügen Lajos...more
Leka
Tragedia greca

Marai è un tragico, greco direi. Forse, soprattutto, per l'unità di luogo che hanno i suoi romanzi (almeno quelli che ho letto finora), e per la voce narrante, una, generalmente imperiosa, anche quando la vicenda si snoda attraverso dialoghi. Un monologo, sottile e permanente, come un cantus firmus quasi. Ed è la nota tragica della vicenda, perché le storie che Sandor racconta sono sempre di vite mancate, nella felicità e compiutezza a cui anelano.
Lorenzo Lara
Leí muy rápido esta novela, no porque el final estuviera oscuro, tampoco porque quisiera terminar rápido, sino porque la naturaleza inexorable de la relación, increíblemente tóxica, entre Eszter y Lajos, me hacía pasar páginas velozmente. Quería saber hasta dónde era capaz Lajos de humillar y empobrecer a Eszter, hasta dónde ella lo permitiría. Al estilo de Una Muerte Anunciada, aquí no hay sorpresas. Sólo una historia tan fluida y bien contada que me obligaba a leer más y más páginas para corro...more
G
A carefully woven, melancholy version of the old story - the prodigal son returns, of sorts - capturing the complexity of human relationships but perhaps lacking the heft of a typical novel. It's really more a short story.
Ann
This is the first Marai novel I've read, and it was a bit underwhelming. Very well-written (and well-translated), the story itself could have been more interesting than it was. I could never understand why everyone thought Lajos was so enchanting, despite the fact that he's a pathological liar who cheats everyone. The ending of this novella was extremely disappointing, and I could not understand the protagonist's self-destructive final decision.

The philosophical adventures of sociopaths and maso...more
Mazel
lecture accompagnée grain de sel
***
La fin de l'empire austro-hongrois et ses prolongements crépusculaires ont inspiré des écrivains majeurs comme les Autrichiens Joseph Roth, Stefan Zweig ou Arthur Schnitzler. Il faut y ajouter le Hongrois Sàndor Marai (1900-1989) qui, aujourd'hui, est enfin reconnu comme un immense écrivain européen.
L'Héritage d Esther, publié en 1939, rassemble en un bref récit tout ce qui fait l'art de Marai. Retirée dans une maison qui menace ruine, engourdie dans une solitu...more
Juan Carlos
LA HERENCIA DE ESZTER is yet another excellent piece of writing from Hungarian writer Sandor Marai.

Eszter, the main character and narrator, lives in a house which she inherited from her father. She shares the house with Nunu, who has been her maid and main confident for many years. One day, she receives a letter from and old friend, Lajos, who announces a visit after an absence of 15 years.

Lajos, a dreamer, liar, poet and mainly a con man is responsible for Eszter and her family having lost mo...more
Mti Librarian
Anna
An interesting little novel, one of those strange writings that follow an unconventional life where you’re not quite sure what to make of things, a little like Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Except I liked it better than Breakfast at Tiffany’s, because I felt something for the characters. Never mind that Lajos is a ‘pathological liar and fantasist’, you still feel that his intentions are good, you’re still charmed by him as are all the characters in the story apart from Endre. You still, somehow, manag...more
Eniko
I'm not sure what to think of this book... It was okay. I am giving it a cautious two-and-a-half stars.

On the one hand, it was nice reading a story with Hungarian given names like Lajos, Laci, Tibor and Endre. (Although Eszter was French-spelled Esther and Nunu became Nounou, but I can overlook that.) There was also the fact that I could totally see everything playing out in my grandmother's house and garden in Budafok.
On the other hand, I'm not sure I was in the right frame of mind for this sto...more
  • A Sport of Nature
  • Tim
  • Die gerettete Zunge: Geschichte einer Jugend
  • War and War
  • The Book Of Fathers
Sándor Márai (originally Sándor Károly Henrik Grosschmied de Mára) was a Hungarian writer and journalist.
He was born in the city of Kassa in Austria-Hungary (now Košice in Slovakia) to an old family of Saxon origin who had mixed with magyars through the centuries. Through his father he was a relative of the Ország-family. In his early years, Márai travelled to and lived in Frankfurt, Berlin, and P...more
More about Sándor Márai...
Embers La mujer justa Casanova in Bolzano Divorcio en Buda The Rebels

“I have started to think that the great, decisive moments that broadly govern our lives are far less conscious at the time than they seem later when we are reminiscing and taking stock.” 11 likes
“Sé que estamos atados a nuestros enemigos, y que ellos tampoco pueden escapar de nosotros.” 3 likes