Start by marking “Black Widow: Deadly Origin” as Want to Read:
Black Widow: Deadly Origin

Black Widow: Deadly Origin

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Before she steals the world's heart in Iron Man 2, get caught in the wicked web of Marvel's sexiest and deadliest super-spy! She's been everything from a Russian espionage agent to a Champion to an Avenger, now a skeleton from Natalia Romanova's past is reaching out for those she's loved and lost...and the Black Widow has many victims to choose from! From the frozen street ...more
Published October 20th 2010 by Marvel (first published March 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Black Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Widow

Chelsea
Why does it all have to be about sex? Jesus christ, is that the breadth of imagination male comic writers have when it comes to female characters? She's gotta sex everyone to death! That's the plot! WTF.
La Revistería Comics
Origen Letal está escrito por Paul Cornell y dibujado por Tom Raney y John Paul Leon. El cómic está ambientado a partes casi iguales entre la actualidad y el pasado de la protagonista.Raney se encarga, acertádamente por su estilo, del dibujo de la parte actual, mientras que León lo hace del pasado. Ambos son correctos en su trabajo, con un estilo completamente diferente uno de otro, que hace diferenciar perfectamente la historia nueva de las referencias al pasado.

Sobre Cornell, en relación a est
Kahn
It has to be said, that as long as you draw the Black Widow well, the story isn't going to be a main concern.
Problem there, of course, is that if you get the art wrong the story really needs to be top draw.
With that in mind, there are only two things wrong with Deadly Origin...
Let's actually start with the story - telling her tale from the old days of pre-communist Russia, we go through her various escapades and attachments as she attempts to solve a modern-day problem that threatens everything
Anie
This is getting two stars because it's the Black Widow, and I love the Black Widow (as should be obvious); if it were a random volume I'd pulled off the shelf, well. To be honest, I might not have finished it. And it definitely would not be getting as high a rating as two stars. (ETA: Screw it. It's only worth one star.)

The writing here isn't that great---it's an origin story done as a series of flashbacks, leading ultimately to betrayal. That's great, but there's just too much background for fo
Aidan Mcdermott
I rented Black Widow: Secret Origin from my local library because I knew next to nothing about black widow and figured that it would be a modern retelling of her origin story. Well, it is, but it goes beyond just telling her origin and focuses on every petty detail of her career as a crime fighter. Its a hasty recap of everything (and every man) she's ever done in the marvel universe, with very little effort put into telling an enjoyable story. There was just too much history to fit into four is ...more
Faye
I really liked the art in this book - both the flashback styles and the main storyline style were great. This wasn't my favorite portrayal of Natasha overall - you could definitely tell it was written by a man. I also thought the climax was a bit rushed / not very well explained. But overall I enjoyed this collection, and I think the illustrations alone make it worth while for Black Widow fans. (I also loved all the Russian stuff going on in the story just because of my academic background).
Meghan
This is an origin story set in the present to flashbacks throughout time showing Natasha Romanoff becoming who she is "today": The Black Widow. I actually really enjoyed this one as it showed her history and all the different costumes she has worn over the years. I really enjoyed her interactions with each of the important men in her life.

Story: A
Dialogue: A
Art: A-
Overall: A

Recommend: Yes.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Strong writing by Paul Cornell saves this book from some questionable art decisions by the main guy. He draws Nat looking very young in some sections, and it just doesn't work.

The story, though, should have been titled "Black Widow: Natasha is competent, smart, and badass, and every dude she's ever known respects the hell out of her except for that one asshole who she totally schools, and it's great."

It's a great primer for fans who may not know Widow's background. Cornell circles through a lot
Zare
In my opinion slightly rushed story-line. There is no tension here because it is more than obvious that Black Widow will defeat all of her enemies.

Where this volume delivers is personal history of Black Widow - how she became super-spy and assassin. Everything else seems to be just a background story to keep the page-count at regular level. I think that they could have done much better - for example imagine story in the likes of Wolverine Origins or X-Weapon, that would be awesome :) - but I gue
Whit Mattson
A valiant attempt to collect together a character's origin that has nearly been retconned into oblivion. It's a nice summary and artistically wrought with visual clues to it being in different eras. That said the story in the book just never really has any tension or interest to it.
Rachael
I wanted to like this a lot, because Paul Cornell is awesome and I really appreciate his characterization for Natalia. And then the plot went off the rails and annoyed the hell out of me. My comic guru tells me that the original pitch didn't have the annoying element, but Cornell's editor made him put that in, so I won't hold it against him. I also appreciated the changing art for the present-day stuff and the flashbacks. Because of the timey-wimeyness of the story, I'm still not entirely clear ...more
Cassie
I grabbed the wrong Black Widow book, but thought I'd read this one anyway since I had it. Man, do I regret that choice.
Sandra
Good things:
- I loved how you got to see many different aspects of Natalia's life.
- Natalia in general.
- The different art for flashbacks, which was handy for telling the different eras apart.

Bad things:
- I thought everything was resolved very abruptly, also some plot-related things seemed to come out of nowhere if you ask me.
- The summary was worked out better than the actual story. That really bothers me.
- Plus the mystery of the bad guy was not that much of a mystery to me? Some surprise elem
Caitlin
The art for the present time was horrendous, the art for the past was beautiful. The storyline was terrible for both.
Nivi
half of it was great and the other half was so sexist. ivan was such a creep.
Ricky Ganci
A dissapointing follow-up to Richard K. Morgan's work with the Black Widow. The story made little or no sense, the action was blase, cliche, and uninspired, and Cornell's dialogue, which would be a loser in any comparison to Mr. Morgan, did nothing to advance the plot of the great reboot that Morgan successfully pulled off in 2005. It's a shame that, in this case, the torch passed to an unworthy successor, especially with a character whose history and complexity offer much potential for good, re ...more
Mike
I wish I could say I loved this book, as I'm a huge fan of Black Widow - her cunning, her mythological level of prowess as a spy and fighter, and not least of which her red hair. Somehow though the book's story felt cheapened, rushed by the constant revolving door of old characters and conflicts that were instantly resolved with no real dilemma or challenge. It felt like we were just drifting along a play-by-play without learning anything new about the woman (even if we were supposedly seeing a ...more
Emma
Jerry Daniels
Thank goodness for the "cliff notes" at the end of this collection of stories in Black Widow: Deadly Origin. They helped to make sense of the heroine's backstory as she goes on a mission to undo a virus implant given to her and then spread to men she was hired to spy on and/or terminate. Often times the "cliff notes" presented more to the story than the illustrations. No wonder I felt confused reading it. Fortuntely, Black Widow: The Name of the Rose was a tad better.
Angela
I really enjoyed this, it investigates the Black Widow's past in a way that links to a current problem. It also explains a lot about her character, and why she is who she is. The relationship with her father is well written and there were enough twists to keep me interested. I even laughed out loud at one bit.

They even included the writers original plot premise, and it is intriguing to see how the story has changed. A very good read.
Jen
An interesting and enjoyable read.
sage
There is no story here at all. It's basically a bullet-point outline of her life, and the only attempt at a plot is her old father-figure trying to make his unrequited faux-incestuous feelings for her into her problem instead of his. Some of the art is quite good and some is atrocious, which is par for the course for Marvel. I'm being generous with two stars mainly because I dig Natasha.
Black Widow: Deadly Origin drove me crazy. It constantly switches between past and present, and changes scenes and characters so quickly. Actually, the story didn't really make sense until I read the story pitch that's an extra at the back of the book. Something went wrong converting the pitch into a comic, but it was a nice crash course in Black Widow's relationships, I suppose.
Shannon Appelcline
After a brilliant prologue, the first half of this mini-series takes a very nice look at Black Widow's origins. Unfortunately the latter half of the series focuses more on the modern day, with flashbacks being wholely subservient to that, and though it's still good, it doesn't hold up to the great first half of these series. Still, a good miniseries, well worth reading.
Writerlibrarian
This is a mix and match thing about where Natasha comes from. I got it because I love the character but... the drawings are really uneven and I won't touch on the big rack, tight leather, not possible poses. That's been done and done. I didn't learn anything that important. Disappointed.
Timo
Quite nice recap to how Black Widow came to be. Nice idea to put different artist to do the chores to flash backs. But why Black Widow looks younger in those today-bits than she does in flashbacks. That was weird and stupid.
Nick
Story was a bit scattered. Too many flashbacks and overall non-important / character driving events. Should really have zeroed in on black widows character but didn't. Artwork also disappointment as fan service covers are nothing more than marketing bait for the so-so artwork inside.
I liked it. I did feel like Cornell set up an amazing story, but the resolution felt a little cheap and irritating. Ahh well, Natasha is one of my favorite characters, so it was still a fun read. Loved the chronicle of her life in the back of the book as well.
SA
I'm pretty sure this story is summed up for me as BABY I LOVE YOU.

As long as you go into it not expecting it to make sense, and just want to watch Natasha kick ass across the pages, you will enjoy it. Anything beyond that and you will get frustrated.
  • Black Widow: Kiss or Kill
  • Black Widow: The Name of the Rose
  • Hawkeye: Blindspot
  • Black Widow
  • Homecoming (Black Widow Volumes, #1)
  • Spider-Woman, Agent of S.W.O.R.D.
  • Winter Soldier, Vol. 4: The Electric Ghost
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 3: Mic-Drop at the Edge of Time and Space
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 5: Stark Resilient,  Book 1
  • X-Men, Vol. 1: Primer
  • The Ultimates 2, Vol. 2: Grand Theft America
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell...
London Falling (Shadow Police, #1) Batman and Robin: Dark Knight vs. White Knight Demon Knights, Vol. 1: Seven Against the Dark Dark Reign: Young Avengers Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 1