Start by marking “Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)

Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Hunters #1.5)

(Formerly published in The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance)

A short story introducing readers to the Gardella Vampire Chronicles.

Join Victoria as she navigates her way through balls and Society even as she works to rid the world of dangerous, bloodthirsty vampires.

For those who are familiar with the series, this story would have appeared halfway through The Rest Falls Away.
Published May 13th 2010

Roaring Midnight by Colleen GleasonThe Rest Falls Away by Colleen GleasonRises The Night by Colleen GleasonThe Bleeding Dusk by Colleen GleasonWhen Twilight Burns by Colleen Gleason
Best Vampire Series, Ever!
12th out of 27 books — 9 voters
Midnight Riot by Ben AaronovitchNeverwhere by Neil GaimanHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookThe Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Mystic London
42nd out of 69 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Apr 22, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2011
Not having read any of the books in Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire series, I can't say how this one ties in or if it adds anything to the characters, but I can say that I enjoyed it. The downside to it is that it's a very, very short story. In fact, I feel like the characters were just starting to hit their groove when the story was over. Which says to me that it did a pretty darn good job of whetting my appetite for more.

I've also decided that thanks to Colleen Gleason I now want to read ma
Amelia
Jul 29, 2016 Amelia rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-read-for-free
Rather fun bit of historical romance with a paranormal twist. Similar idea to The Parasol Protectorate.
Karissa
Sep 15, 2011 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a prequel story for the Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Gleason. There are five books in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles. This was a fun short story read that convinced me that I should definitely check out the rest of this series.

Victoria Gardella is just your typical Victorian lady, well kind of, she is also a Venator sworn to hunt down and slay vampires. In this story she is attending a masquerade ball dressed as Mary Antoinette. While there she must try to win the affections of an at
Lauren K
Jul 07, 2011 Lauren K rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This review was first posted @ The Australian Bookshelf

This is a short story, designed to be a bit of a taster for the Gardella Vampire Chronicles and it definitely left me hungry for more! I ‘listened’ to this on my Kindle using the ‘text to speech’ feature and so I was able to get through the story in one day during a car trip to and from work. Having never read any of the books in this series I had no idea what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Victoria Gardella is a vampire slayer in L
PurplyCookie
"Victoria Gardella (Gardella Vampire Chronicles #1.5)" is a free sampler short story which serves as an introduction to the writing, setting and characters in the 5 books comprising the Gardella Vampire Chronicles. As such, it fulfills its purpose, but I did come away feeling somewhat short-changed by its short length.

Victoria Gardella is your average Victorian lady - pays attention to what she's wears, considers proposals from worthy suitors, has a penchant for slaying vampires at lavish masque
I believe this story was at one time part of an anthology, but has since been released on its own. I got it for free.

The actual Victoria Gardella part of the book consists of the short story as well as a snippet of The Rest Falls Away, and takes up less than half of the book. The rest is sneak peeks of a book from one of Ms. Gleason's other series and from two other authors as well.

I enjoyed the short story (and it was pretty short--taking up only 26%), and going to try the first book in the ser
Nov 14, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
This short story is a great introduction to the Gardella Vampire Chronicles series by Colleen Gleason. It highlights the difficulties that Victoria Gardella faces as a young lady making her debut into London society whilst trying to keep her life as a vampire hunter secret. We are also introduced to 3 of her potential love interests who you will see more of in the books.

I have already read and enjoyed the first book in the series The Rest Falls Away and enjoyed the fact that this is historical w
Thenia
Jun 30, 2011 Thenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long while since I read the Gardella Vampire Chronicles books and it felt very good, going back to this world and reading about loved characters once more.

The story is short and only gives us another glimpse into Victoria's life, but it made me nostalgic and I may have to read the books again after this.

Hmm, then again, maybe I'll start her new series and read The Vampire Voss instead...
Chris
Jun 23, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
I suppose if I read the series, I might get more out of this.

It isn't a bad short story, but it doesn't offer anything new. All the standard tropes are there.

1. possible love triangle
2. heroine desired by every male
3. heroine only girl who can kick ass

There are parts of the story I liked, in particular, the ones involing Victoria's mother. But I can't say I desire to pick up the other in the series. I'm not sorry I read it, though. It was diverting. It was free, so I'm not complaining.
Cristina Contilli

Il prequel della saga dei Gardella ambientato nella Londra del 1819-1820 in un'atmosfera a metà tra urban fantasy e romanzo gotico... quindi molto "ottocentesco" non solo come ambientazione, ma anche come stile di scrittura... almeno questa è la mia impressione anche se leggendo e traducendo in contemporanea potrebbe anche essere solo una mia sensazione, dovuta al tipo di personaggi e di ambientazione...
Christine
Apr 20, 2012 Christine rated it did not like it
Well that was disappointing. At only 27% into the "book" the story was over and the rest was just "sneak peeks" at other books. And it's neither a prequel nor a story falling between two books. It's a "previously unrelated incident" from the series. In other words, a scene that was cut from the middle of book one. But it was free and at least I didn't waste too much time reading it as it was so very short.
Erin H
Nov 15, 2012 Erin H rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Tedthecat Harvey
Mar 12, 2012 Tedthecat Harvey rated it liked it
When I downloaded it to my kindle, I didn't realize it was a short story. I was irked because there were several bits and pieces of other books, and I felt like it was a big commercial. Now that I have learned that it is a short story, I'm going to give it a try with the first volume of the series.
Theresa
Jun 22, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it
This is a cute little bit about Victoria Gardella at a Masquerade Ball. Its time frame is about the 5 or 6 chapter of the 1st book: 'The Rest Fall Away'.

Victoria is hunting vampires which is complicated by having to keep Phillip out of the way. Of course Max is there to keep an eye on her and is as sarcastic as ever.
Dawn (Kat N Hat)
Dec 11, 2013 Dawn (Kat N Hat) rated it it was ok
This was the first I've read in the series and I am not so sure about it. I realize it was a half step, and maybe if I'd read the first book I would have liked this better. There really wasn't much plot going on in this snippet. There seemed to be a lot of introductions to future plot points but I missed a climax to this story.
Delaney  Burton
I am giving this a 3 star rating only because it was lot shorter then I thought it would be, even for a short story. For me it was something that could have went in the book and you didn't miss out on much without it in there. Just a fast glimpse into one of her nights at a ball.
Serena
Jul 08, 2015 Serena rated it really liked it
My Rating System:

Kim
Jan 09, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
If you haven't read the Gardella Vampire's series then this is a perfect introduction to what the 5 books hold. Non Stop action and romance you'll feel like your part of!
If you have read the series, then this is just reminder of how amazing the books were and worth the short read!
Laylah
Oct 15, 2010 Laylah rated it really liked it
It reads more like a deleted scene from the first book in the Chronicles than a real short story. One scene, one occasion, all the characters drop by for an obligatory face time, showing their trademark personality. Not one new thing is added to the story as a whole.
Victoria
Sep 02, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
this was just WAY too short ...but that was my only disappointment! I am now interested in reading the series
Ashley Mayer
This was a really short, short story. It was interesting, and definitely left me wanting to read more!
Kathryn
Quite disappointed when I realized if I had stayed up and read the last few pages I would have been done with the story. A preview of the first book takes up most of the rest.
W
Jun 28, 2011 W rated it did not like it
I understand that this short story is intended to be an introduction to the series, but after reading this I am not at all interested in reading more on Victoria gardella.
Amalia Kollarou
Sep 12, 2013 Amalia Kollarou rated it liked it
It was a very short story... well written but still I would prefer a more detailing story, with more thrill.
Spgmt *Paula*
Aug 27, 2011 Spgmt *Paula* rated it did not like it
Freebie !! Maybe I didnt like this as it was only short and I didnt really get a feel for the story, don't think I will buy any of the others unless I am convinced otherwise.
Kathryn Shumate
May 15, 2013 Kathryn Shumate rated it liked it
Just a short story and a lot of previews of other books. Short story is a fun glimpse back into Victoria's world.
Missyb
Jul 07, 2012 Missyb rated it liked it
okay characters, felt a little lost, but I thought this was a prequel to book one instead of it being book 1.5. Short little story.
Mair
Mair rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Nicole Stiltner
Nicole Stiltner rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Ruby
Ruby rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 09, 2015 06:02PM
  • Fresh Blood
  • Hidden by Blood (Sweetblood, #1.5)
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • Foreplay (Succubus Diaries, #0.5)
  • The Brigand Bride
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)
  • Lord Demon's Delight (Demons of Dunmore, #1)
  • A Turn of Curses
  • I Witch
  • Hunter's Choice (The Hunters)
  • Something Wild (Darklands, #3)
  • No Rest for the Wicked
  • Unicorn Bait (Unicorn Bait #1)
  • Out of the Box (On the Edge)
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • The Walled Garden
  • Blood in the Marsh
Award-winning, NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason has written more than twenty books for major publishers such as Penguin Group, Harlequin Enterprises, Chronicle Books, and HarperCollins (as Joss Ware). Her books have been translated into seven different languages.

Colleen lives in the Midwest United States where she is fortunate enough to be working on her next book.

S
More about Colleen Gleason...

The Gardella Vampire Hunters (10 books)
  • The Rest Falls Away (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #1)
  • Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #2)
  • The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #3)
  • When Twilight Burns (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #4)
  • As Shadows Fade (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #5)
  • Roaring Midnight (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #1)
  • Raging Dawn (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Max, #1)
  • Roaring Shadows (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #2)
  • Raging Winter (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Max, #2)
  • Roaring Dawn (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #3)