Start by marking “The Cat From Outer Space” as Want to Read:

The Cat From Outer Space

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback
Published April 13th 1978 by Archway Paperback

To ask other readers questions about The Cat From Outer Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat From Outer Space

Robert
Oct 01, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wanted
I was 8 when the film was released in 1978, and the young me liked it very much because it had space (space was big back then) and friendly characters and a nice cat who talked. It's very 70's and fun and the book was just as delightful to read as well. The plot is something of a cross between Escape to Witch Mountain and That Darn Cat (both Disney movies also)
Kristilyn
Kelldicott
Dec 02, 2007 Kelldicott rated it really liked it
For some reason I was insanely fond of this as a kid. I have no idea why, it simply was the case. There was something corny and lovable about it, I don't know. Later, I found out that the film (of which it was a "novelization") featured a score by Lalo Schifrin and I felt vaguely validated.
Amber Dyson
Jan 19, 2015 Amber Dyson rated it it was ok
This book could not be MORE 70's... Worth a read for incredible phrases like, "plant you now, dig you later," "in . . . a cat carrier lay sexy, inviting Lucy Belle," and "she was as good at flying copters as she was at playing pool."

At the risk of dating myself, I have a fond memory of seeing this at the drive-in when I was a girl with distant family, but the memory is more about that experience than the film itself. As an adult, it's hard to imagine who the intended audience was. Physicists, mi
Rob Smith
Aug 18, 2013 Rob Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
This is a light book, but it is also a good book. It moves mighty fast. But it's a fun fast.

Where this book soars is comparing it to contemporary fiction. Specifically comparing it to the last book I read, 'Sea Change' by Robert Parker, this book is genius fiction. In 'The Cat from Outer Space' the characters are well defined, the settings are well described, the story is understandable - and no nasty language and sexual mess.

Unlike my complaints of a current book's over abundance of everything,
Viktoria
Apr 13, 2015 Viktoria rated it really liked it
This was a very random book. The only reason I picked it up was because it was about a Cat... from outer space. And I have a thing about cats. You can definitely tell this is a Disney story by the way it ends.
Lindsey P
Jan 12, 2014 Lindsey P rated it liked it
I remember seeing this movie in school when I was a kid!
Hildegart
Jul 06, 2012 Hildegart rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats
I don't remember if in the book, the longshot horse that ends up winning the race is Sweet Jake or Lucky Jake. But, the movie used the other name. That didn't catch my attention until I read the book not long after I watched the movie. And then, my favorite phrase is "Pentagon popsicles."
August
Jan 06, 2013 August rated it liked it
Awww. Adorable book is adorable. And relevant to my existence, because 1) cats, 2) cats named Jake, 3) Jake's favorite movie. Overall it was fun to get a taste of late 70s movie tie-ins and this adventure in particular was enjoyable.
Dree
Oct 27, 2011 Dree rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-before-1990
Loved this as a kid, and I loved the movie. Now my kids have enjoyed the movie--and I couldn't see why I'd liked it so much LOL. Age appropriateness is everything :)
Jason
Dec 21, 2015 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I'm smart and read smart things.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very silly, very dated
Alex
Dec 06, 2008 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightfully silly book.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 27, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-1988
Not bad.
Kaemea
Kaemea marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Erika Ostroski
Erika Ostroski marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Robert Dunlap
Robert Dunlap rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Hours
Hours marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Anna Godfrey
Anna Godfrey rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kerry Christian
Kerry Christian marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
born Theodore Keyser, he was an American cartoonist and writer, best known as the creator of the cartoon panel Hazel, which was later the basis for a television series of the same name.
More about Ted Key...