The Berserker Wars (Berserker)

The Berserker Wars (Berserker #6)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  9 reviews
LIFE AND DEATH IN DREADFUL CONFLICT STROVE...

It happened long ago and far away. Perhaps in this galaxy, perhaps in one close by. Two war-maddened races fought -- and though both of them are gone, their legacy abides: the Frankenstein weapon that destroyed not only the enemy, but the creator. The Berserkers, robotic, asteroid-sized killers programmed to on purpose: to seek...more
Published 1981 by Tor Books

Chloe
I always thought science fiction really lends itself to the short story-thing. This is a real mish-mash of different stories. Strange and cool. 'The Face of the Deep' was my favourite.
Aurelio Ippandoza
Read the 2 recommended stories( as recommended on goodreads)"The face of the Deep" and "Wings of the shadow".They were both well written, but "wings of the shadow" was definitely the better written,it had more style and the plot was twisted ( made me want to read more of Saberhagen).
Fred
Toss up between 3 and 4 stars so I've gotta give it the benefit of the doubt. Especially since one particular story in here titled WINGS OUT OF SHADOW was absolutely incredible. Instant classic right there. It was so good that it made me want to stay up all night writing myself. (Of course I couldn't because of that damn thing called work.)

Anyway, this is my first exposure to Saberhagen's Berserker stories and without doubt I will be finding more of them. I don't know if I would say that this is...more
Tony Goins
I love 60s sci fi! I expected this to be military sci fi but instead the Berserkers are more the backdrop for whatever story Saberhagen wanted to tell. You're never sure what he's going to come up with next.
Mike Ehlers
Read this online as a follow up to Berserker #1, not realizing I was going out of order, or that there was at least one overlapping story.

The stories are good old school sci fi. Very entertaining and set in an interesting universe. I don't know if individual stories stand out, but you can do worse if you are looking for classics in the genre.
Mark Schomburg
A compilation of stories from 1969 and 1979 featuring the Berserker universe, it's a very creative assortment. I haven't read about the Berserker saga before, but I'm reminded of the Daleks of Dr. Who - "exterminate!" Which came first?
Bruce E.
I liked this the last time I read it, but found it disappointing this time around. The characterizations seemed thin and the plots trite. Perhaps I've outgrown it
Raven
Excellent collection of short stories set in the Berserker universe.
Jayw
May 23, 2013 Jayw added it
Tales from the galactic battle of man versus machine
bluetyson
Berserker Wars by Fred Saberhagen (1994)
Jenxi
Jenxi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Jul 24, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Miaisageek
Miaisageek marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Todd Fiedler
Todd Fiedler marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Callum Shephard
Callum Shephard marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Oneeyed
Oneeyed marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
  • Direct Descent
  • Man-Kzin Wars 3 (Man-Kzin Wars, #3)
  • The Boy Who Would Live Forever: A Novel of Gateway (Heechee Saga, #6)
  • Warhorse
  • West Of Honor
  • The Mind Pool
  • The Forever Man
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • Bolo! (Bolo, #14)
  • The I Inside
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker
  • There Is No Darkness
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled
  • Nightflyers
The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1) Berserker (Berserker, #1) The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2) The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3) The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)