Start by marking “Sleeping Arrangements” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Arrangements

Sleeping Arrangements

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  11,882 ratings  ·  773 reviews
Chloe needs a holiday. Her partner, Philip, has troubles at work, and the whole family wants a break. Hugh is not a happy man. His immaculate wife, Amanda, seems more interested in her new kitchen than in him—and he works so hard to pay for it, he barely has time for his children. Maybe he’ll have a chance to bond with them on holiday…

When the two families arrive at a vill
Published November 30th 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Arrangements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Arrangements

Inge
Nope. Just nope.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You know what, I'm really not okay with cheating being romanticised. I don't care if it's because of unresolved feelings, because you got drunk or because you need to "get it out of your system", cheating is not okay and it is definitely not romantic to write a book about it and somehow still have everyone have a happy fucking ending.

But let me tell you about the story first, so you can actually follow my rant. The story follows two couples who, by a strike of fate (read: som
Eliza
I might have finished this book, but I'm leaving for vacation in a few days and I had to prioritize my reading. Sleeping Arrangements didn't make the cut. I love Sophie Kinsella, but while Madeleine Wickham might be the same person, she's not the same writer. It seems that in attempting to create a slightly more serious scenario, she lost all her spark. Sophie Kinsella's plot premises are utterly ridiculous, but she has me laughing and turning the pages. Madeleine Wickham's premise in Sleeping A ...more
Melissa
Feb 05, 2010 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bitches
This book is awful. Right now I'm listening to it on my Creative Zen player while at the gym and I can't wait until it's finished. The characters are all completely unlikable, which makes it difficult to care what happens to them. I'm half-way through now and not expecting much out of the rest. We'll see in about a week...

I was right. This book did not pick up, the characters did not become more relatable or even empathizable. The ending was okay, but it left a HUGE loose end dangling. I mean, W
george
Maybe I'm outgrowing chick lit? Or maybe this was just crap. I'm not sure. The last few chick lit books I've read have not really been enjoyable to me, so I'm sort of leaning towards the former; but maybe I'm just making bad choices. There were not any characters in this book that I liked. They are all reprehensible, selfish and annoying. Two families are thrown together in the same house for a week of holiday and it's starting to look like it wasn't an accident. The books that Wickham wrote und ...more
Exina

I have mixed feelings about this story.

Positives

- great characterization: you get both the positive and the negative aspects of each character that makes them believable. They are fallible and imperfect.
- great plot and writing style;
- nice – though predictable – ending.

Negatives

- alternating third person viewpoint, except Amanda’s. Even the babysitter has her own POV, why not Amanda?
- cheating – unnecessary. The plot would have been totally intact even without it.
- some clichés and
Lois Duncan
I almost never give a book one star. I always try to find something good to say about a book, and this one's by a best-selling author so I expected something enjoyable. Sadly, I found it just plain unpleasant. Two unlikeable couples find themselves unwillingly vacationing together. I couldn't relate to any of them. All they did was drink, (I don't think any of them were ever soberthroughout the whole book), and complain about their lives. Two of them have an affair. The Nanny that one couple bro ...more
Carrie
i think the author might have been trying to steal/use the setting of "Enchanted April" for this book...instead of Londoners needing a break and heading to a villa in Italy, this one was Londoners needing a break and heading to a villa in Spain. i dont like spouses cheating in the storyline so i would have given it 1 star, but it took a turn three quarters of the way through the book that was good and a little redeeming it to 2 stars. but if you dont mind people cheating on their significant oth ...more
Ciara
the main difference between madeleine wickham's books & sophie kinsella's books is that when wickham writes under her real name, she forgets that ther novels should have at least one bearable character or un-hackneyed situation.

in this one, two families are offered the use of a spanish villa owned by a mutual friend. chloe is the matriarch of family #1. she is partnered to (but not married to) a banker named phillip. phillip's bank recently merged with a much larger company, & phillip is
JoAnn
Did not like this very much . . . Madeleine Wickham may be Sophie Kinsella but Sophie Kinsella is the much better writer! It seems as if Madeleine Wickham likes to deal with more serious issues and she doesn't do that good a job of it. She really should stick with the wacky, funny, ridiculous characters she creates as Sophie. Or maybe she's just bipolar and the Madeleine part is depressive. It's one to skip.
Lidia
I had a difficult time getting into this book. The characters weren't very interesting or involved, so I didn't develop any empathy for them and their stories. I thought it ended abrubtly and since I read the whole book, I was hoping for more closure. The only redeeming part of this book was the son Sam's relationship with the Jenna, the nanny. His awkwardness about losing his virginity was both humourous and igry.
Laura-Jane Barber
After finishing Twenties Girl the other day, I was still in the mood for some good chick-lit. Having read all of Sophie Kinsella's novels, I decided to check out her novels under her real name, Madeleine Wickham. I went for the cheapest of the Nook books, Sleeping Arrangements.

This novel lacks the sophistication and the light-heartedness of her later novels as Kinsella. The story is of two families that are vacationing at a mutual friend's Spanish villa. He "accidentally" double-booked and as it
VaultOfBooks
By Madeleine Wickham. Grade B
For those who don’t know, this is Sophie Kinsella writing under her real name. Being a huge fan of Sophie’s stand-alone books, I decided to check out her Madeleine Wickham books as well.
Tasha
Not at all that interesting. The story was dry and pointless. Chloe and Hugh, who were once in relationship meet up again 10 years later, and they are both involved with other people. The only bright spot of this book was Jenna, the nanny. I won't go into great detail but the story just ends rather abruptly. There was no kind of resolve, just a rush to finish the book. A waste of time, I don't think I'll be trying anything by this author in the future.
Kasi
Silly fun! Not the best book Wickham has written, by far, and more for the maturing audience (Hen-Lit, instead of Chick-Lit), which is a step away from her norm. But, still witty and fun. Super easy summer read...taking place in HOT SULTRY SUMMERY SPAIN! So, grab a sangria and sip away the afternoon!
Whitney
Couldn't hold my interest. Since this is by Sophie Kinsella, I expected a fun, quick, engrossing read. Not so. Couldn't get into the random characters or story.
Janna
Once again I enjoyed Madeleine Wickham's book hugely. It was a very touching story about life itself, about love, past and about family. Of course there was the holiday factor and I think we all have had at leas one totally messed up holiday. I'm quite young still, the same age as Chloe and Hugh were when they first met so I couldn't really put myself into their shoes but still this was an amazing story.

The book itself was very quick paced so I read it really quickly. It took me about three day
gille
Sleeping Arrangements was what I expected. It is typical Wickham, which I enjoy, so there isn't much to say. It wasn't too obvious, which was nice.

Chloe is a dressmaker in a long-term partnership with her guy Philip. They and their two children are about to embark on a much needed holiday to Spain, they have much stress in their lives and are looking forward to the getaway. Hugh and Amanda are married with two little girls and live a very different lifestyle than Chloe and Philip. Their worlds
Elena
I gave it 2* and thought it was ok because it flowed and was a quick read - it was not boring ... However - it would probably be closer to a 1.5* due to the following:
(view spoiler)
Eline
Hmm I was a little bit disappointed after reading this book. I love books by Sophie Kinsella (Madeleine Wickham) because they are funny, witty and have unexpected twists and turns. This book didn't seem to offer me those things. It was long and there wasn't much variation. It seemed to go on and on without something happening. We have two main characters, Chloe and Hugh, and their families on a strange holiday. Because of a "misunderstanding" they are booked in the same villa in Spain for the sa ...more
Merja Pohjola
I felt an old/old-fashioned mother when I read this! Or is it Finland??? First of all, I found it appalling that the supposedly "good" parents let their 15-year all drink and have sex with a young - but still an adult - woman. Everybody is drinking and smoking joints... not the world I live in! To think Sean would drink in front of me and say hey I'm gonna go have sex with this adult girl behind the house ... would never happen. Is this reality these days? Oh well, I am not one to lecture, but I ...more
Alex
Okay, I love Sophie Kinsella's books, but I've now read two of Madeleine's books and they're not good at all. I don't care that Sophie and Madeleine are the same person - they are NOT the same writer.

This started off enjoyable, but after (view spoiler)
Dana Derrico
I'm a fan of her books under Sophie Kinsella --- they're usually fun, quick chick-lit books that are perfect for the beach/pool or just when you don't really want to think much. After the last book I read, I wanted something light. I picked this up at a book sale and though for $.50, this was a good deal.

Not really --- this book was not very good. I didn't mind the topic so much (I've read stories about the same thing that are at least interesting) but this just left me annoyed. The two familie
PSmith
Another decently paced family melodrama. Was quick and easy to read. Something light in between serious books. Two families are on vacation, and end up sharing the same villa by accident. Tempers fly, edges are chaffed and secrets emerge. Loved all the characters, especially Amanda and Jenna, who are as different as chalk from cheese.
Sharon Kaur
Sleeping Arrangements by Madeleine Wickham

Just one word .

(view spoiler)

Amanda
I was excited to read this book when I discovered it was written by one of my favorite authors, Sophie Kinsella, under a different pen name. However, this book was just okay. It did not grab me and have me rolling with laughter like her Shopaholic series. However, the story was solid and the characters believable in that they had flaws and seemed real. Just not a book I would read again, until Becky's tales.
Kerri
I was disappointed in this book, the set up was great but I couldn't connect to the characters at all. I kept reading in hopes that the story would get better but it didn't. They would just drink and feel sorry for themselves, or drink and argue... It never really went anywhere and I didn't care any more about the characters than when I started.
Reca
This was a quick and light fluffy read that I got through quickly and I'm actually kind of grateful for that. There were only a few moments where I liked the characters in the book. I can't say I enjoyed this nearly as much as Cocktails for Three and it might just be because no one was that likeable.
Love Fool
Ummmm... was disappointed by this book. I liked the idea of the book but she just didn't execute it well. I'm not going to hate on it like a lot of people did but I will recommend to read her other books before this one.
Sam Woodfield
Its quite interesting reading this novel as someone who has read a lot of Sophie Kinsella novels. Having read Kinsella you go into this novel expecting a really light, jovial novel with some funny moments and a happy ending. But this isn't Sophie Kinsella - this is Madeleine Wickham and the style is very different. It's much more serious and thoughtful than her alter ego.
'Sleeping Arrangements' follows 2 families, both in need of a break and both booked into the same villa. There's Chloe and Phi
TaisieOdele

Quality of writing: 7/10
Inspires reader: 2/10
Characters: 6/10
Overall rating: 6/10

Parts of it are a little unrealistic – without wanting to give too much away, the proposal was unrealistic. I just doubt it would have happened and that is as much as I am going to say on the matter because I don’t want to ruin the book for you all.
Some of the characters were quite unlikeable – I appreciate that everyone has some flaw
  • Six Geese A-Laying
  • Learning Curves
  • The Pre-Nup
  • A Hollywood Ending
  • Dune Road
  • Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2)
  • Misery Loves Cabernet (Charlize Edwards, #2)
  • The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society
  • Kiss
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Club
  • The Adultery Diet
  • Pink Slip Party
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
More about Madeleine Wickham...
Cocktails for Three The Wedding Girl The Gatecrasher A Desirable Residence 40 Love

“I'll never stop wondering, you know. What could have been. If we'd stayed together, all those years ago. We might have come here to this villa, as husband and wife. With Sam. I might have had Sam as my son."
"You might."
"We might have had six children together."
"Six! I'm not sure about that."
"The worst things is... The worst thing is, we probably would have become discontented. After a few years. We probably would have lain here in the sun, feeling a little bored, wondering if we did the right thing in marrying each other. Not realizing how bloody lucky we were..."
"It's late. We should get some rest."
"We make so many decisions over a lifetime. Some turn out to be unimportant...and some turn out to be the key to everything. If only we knew their significance at the time. If only we knew what we were throwing away.”
2 likes
“There were only a few tourists wandering aimlessly about, identifiable by their pale skins and baseball caps and cameras. A red-haired man in trainers was looking at a notice on the door of the” 0 likes