Start by marking “Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)

Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,916 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
To hold onto his love, he must release his beast.

Once a Bear sets his mind on a mission, it’s best to stay out of his way. Alexander “Bunny” Bunsun is that Bear. Something’s not right with his cousin Chloe, and he’s come to Halle, PA, to sort it out, turn his Harley around and head home to Oregon. Until an enticing scent lures him into the local tattoo shop.

There she is. A
Published July 27th 2010 by Samhain Publishing (first published July 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Necessities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Necessities

MelissaB
Alexander Bunson, also known by the nickname Bunny, arrives in the town of Halle, PA with his cousin because they are concerned about Chloe, his young cousin who lives there. As Alex is wandering around the town thinking about going into a comic book store (he loves manga and anime), he scents his mate in a tattoo parlor. Turns out his mate is a green-haired Wolf shifter named Tabitha - yes she is a Wolf named Tabby.

Tabby has had a rather hard life the past few years. She was kicked out of her p
Catherine
*DNF*

I had seen pretty good reviews for this and heard it compared to Shelly Laurenston, so I had to give it a try. Unfortunately, the writing style didn't work for me at all. It didn't feel very developed or polished. I liked the storyline of a bear falling for a wolf with a harsh past, but I didn't like the execution of it.

Events felt slapped together and I didn't feel any depth to any of the characters, especially the main ones. It was like everyone was a caricature of themselves, without any
StellaR
4,5 STARS FOR BUNNY-BEAR CUTENESS HOTNESS

Who wants to read about a bear shifter named BUNNY? :))
I've never read a story about bear shifters before so this is new and of course, I was interested when I learnt about this book.

That's what make this story stand out. Alex "Bunny" Bunsun was a bear shifter who had an anger management issue he's been trying to soothe with...YOGA. Nope, not kidding, a bear doing yoga?

His mate was a wolf shifter who had neon green hair and was a tattoo artist. They're su
Kathryn
Jul 10, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This is the second time I have read this book, the first in a spinoff of Bell's Halle Pumas series. The characters from the first books make more then minor appearances and the setting and storyline remain the same, the difference being the types of shifters involved. I enjoy Bell's humorous writing. Her characters are engaging and interesting and I love the situations Bell places them in, particularly with this book.

I loved both of the main characters. I tend to lean towards one or the other i
Melindeeloo
Okay, so I am schitzophrenic, I liked this even though I am not an erotic reader and Bear Necessities is definitely an erotic read - the hero boldly goes where no man has gone before with the heroine and we discover that 69 is their favorite number - but even though I pretty much skimmed the love scenes in the second half of the book there was still a good story hidden beneath all of the steamy stuff.

I am getting a real kick out of Bearshifters and in addition to the leading man Alex (Bunny) Bu
Emily
Nov 20, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing

Folks, stop what you're doing and prepare to one click order. After reading (and enjoying) the entire Halle Pumas series of novellas (reviews for installments 3-5 are forthcoming, don't worry), Bear Necessities is not only the first full length novel set in that world, and features the familiar cast of characters, but is also the first installment where the author really flexes her muscles, so to speak, when it comes to this series. Let's just say that waiting for the next book is going to be ve
Steffi
Feb 21, 2011 Steffi rated it it was amazing
Hello, my name is Steffi and I am a bear-shifter addict.

There, I said it. I have the craziest obesession with bear shifters. I just love them. Maybe I should be worried....

For that reason alone Bear Necessities was the perfect book for me. But even better, Dana Marie Bell made it a fun sexy ride.

When Alexander "Bunny" Bunsen first comes to Halle because of his cousin Chloe, he wanders past a tattoo studio and what's that tantalizing smell?....of course, his mate Tabby.

Now Tabby is a very speci
Melanie
I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

This was my first Dana Marie Bell book and I couldn't help but compare it to Shelly Laurenston's 'Mangnus Pack' and 'Pride' books and some of the shifter stories from Eve Langlais.

Where Laurenston delivers snarky, sarcastic and sexy fun, and Langlais provides cute, fluffy fun, 'Bear Necessities' was, unfortunately, a poor substitute for my "fun" shifter romance fix. There was a LOT (too much?) of slurpy 69 "stuff" going on and a somewhat adventurous backd
MostlyDelores
Dec 20, 2014 MostlyDelores rated it liked it
These books take me back to the heyday of Loveswept romances from the 1980s. It's all tidy pairings and sassy banter and cartoonish violence.

But there's also this:
“You not only disobeyed the local Alpha, you attempted something that is considered anathema to all shifters. You tried to rape another man’s mate. That makes you rogue.”

I guess raping a single woman isn't as bad?

Three stars for nostalgia.
Roxanne
Sep 11, 2011 Roxanne rated it it was ok
OK this wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't a very good one...for several reasons.

One: All the side characters in this book are from the authors Puma series so I didn't appreciate most of the banter between mates and the pride seeing as I missed all their stories. I think I would have enjoyed this book alot more if I had read them, especially Max and Emma's book.

Two: The storyline, hrmmmmmmm...I was expecting more. The main story was that Tabby was getting pushed around by Gary and his two sidek
SubterraneanCatalyst
OK so this book was just "ok". I had issues with the writing/pacing. Firstly I disliked the names- which shouldn't be a deal breaker for a book really but they just irked the hell out of me. Bunny, Tabby, Cyn, and Glory are the worst offenders for me name wise. But hey, to each their own, perhaps you'll read this and love the names and it won't dig under your skin like it did me. More power to you.
Tabby is an outcast wolf shifter who craves real asylum, comfort and home. She lives in a small co
SheLove2Read
Jan 02, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Loved it! A thoroughly fun read with just the right touch of serious emotion. A kick ass heroine, fun sidekicks and a hero named Bunny - what's not to love!
Kate Phoenix
This book was a lot of fun to read but I currently can't continue the series as I have to read the Halle Pumas which I kind of find irritating but I'm kind of a monk in that respect. This book gets 3.5-4 Stars from me.

Alexander "Bunny" Bunson is a bear on a mission he has set out to Halle with Ryan to find out what is wrong with Chloe (Ryan's sister) I loved this book from start to finish and can't wait to read the next book.

Tabby is Outcast which in packs/prides is never a good thing. Kicked ou
Deedee
So good!! I'm happy I got this.
The story was good, the heroine was funny and sarcastic, the hero was hot, sweet and dreamy.

The story:
After being outcast from her pack eight years ago, Tabitha "Tabby" Goldman finally found a place she can call home. But when things starts going straight to hell. She scared she be forced out of the place she finally home.

Alexander "Bunny" Bunsun has come to Halley,PA to check on his cousin Chloe, something doesn't seem right with her. But who of thought he wou
Kirsten
Aug 27, 2013 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the world of the Halle Shifters. I mistakenly picked up the second book and read that before this one. But it got me reading this one, and I'm not complaining about that at all. Bear shifters are hot!!! I think before Cynful I had only read one other about bear shifters, and that was very good as well. This was an excellent read. The story flowed along smoothly, always building into more. More is good. Yes it is. I liked that this book concentrated on shifters not weres. Big differenc ...more
Emily
Alexander "Bunny" Bunson heads to Halle Pennsylvania to check on his cousin Chloe, who he senses is in trouble. What he finds is not only his mate, but his cousin beaten within an inch of her life.

Tattoo artist Tabitha "Tabby" Garwood came to Pennsylvania after spending 8 years as an Outcast. Although she has not been accepted as part of the pack, the others allow her to live in peace and has made some strong ties in the community. When Bunny comes into her store, she knows her mate has come fo
Steph
May 06, 2011 Steph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
I just want to start by recommending this book to anyone who loves shifters, extremely hot sex scenes, a brilliant cast of characters and a group of best friends that will make you die with laughter on many ocassions.
There was a brilliant story line that will pull you in within the first few pages. I was laughing so hard about 10 pages in, and I imediately knew I was going to love this book, and Oh BOY was I right.
At the top of my list of things I loved were the main couple... Tabby (wolf) an
Delta
Nov 18, 2013 Delta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of shifter romance
Nikki
Please sir, may I have another? This was fabulous! I loved Bunny! :) Such a big strong bear looking out for his she wolf! Tabby is an outcasted wolf who finds her way to Halle and makes it her home. Green haired tattoo artist with spunk and we love her for it! Alex, aka Bunny, is a tall, bald tattooed hunk of man who is in town for his cousin and happens by the shop where Tabby works. Finding your mate is great, until family and friends are threatened, beat up and nearly die, right! While search ...more
Anna
Dec 12, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok
It is even a week I read this book and I hardly remember what it is about: a bear founding a mate (a werewolf), and some problems caused by a bad wolf who wants to create his own clan and wants to rape the bear werewolf.

The pace is ok, there is some suspense with some werewolves. The characterization is shallow, none of them stand-out.

The world-building was a little far-fetched or poor credible. There were were-pumas, were-bears, were-foxes, but mainly the main point was gorgeous studs being wi
Jill
Dec 01, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Heheh this book was very sexy. The characters Alex "bunny" bunsen, who is in fact a bear shifter and tabby who is a wolf a great fun! They both have know problem with sex in it up in all sorts of delicious ways. Really did enjoy this book. Although this is part of a series, I had know problem reading it even though i haven't read the others. I do plan on back tracking to the beginning just to kill my curiosity. I like this author style and even though it wasn't a very in depth book, it was a gre ...more
Chappy
This was my first book from this author and I loved it. The whole shifter thing was done in an original and interesting way. Alex "Bunny" might be a big ass grizzly but he truly is a loving teddy bear. He meets Tabby, a strong independent and funny wolf and doesn't let go. The quirky green hair is awesome as are the tattoo and biker aspects. I look forward to reading more of this series.
Elspeth
Sep 27, 2013 Elspeth rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon
I liked the story and I am big excited for Julian's book next month I like his powers.
I ended up skimming most of the sex scenes due to them being pretty meh.

5.30.12 1st read.
1.21.13 2nd read.
Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections
Jan 12, 2011 Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections rated it really liked it
I liked the bear-shifter premise. The story keeps your interest. I am looking forward to the next in this series.
Amy T Evans
Loved this!
Fiona McGier
The central relationship was hot, and since both are shifters, they "know" they have met their mates, so there's none of that dancing around, trying to figure out if they are right for each other. It's just, "Hello, we're mates, now let's have hot, wild, animal sex"...which worked for me! The sex scenes were scorchers, fit in around the 2 suspense threads. And that's where the book lost me. First since the main crime has no resolution at the end, I assume we are supposed to run out to get the se ...more
Erotic Horizon
When “Bunny” Bunsun decided to head out and help his cousin Ryan find his sister it was just suppose to be a quick in and out sort of search mission – more to satisfy the rents more than anything else.

What the men end up with literally within a few hours of hitting the town of Halle is - mated, caught in the middle of a near tragedy and having a front row seat to what is amounting to a three ring circus in the small town of Halle.

Bunny smell his mate before he even sees her and with some determ
Paris
Apr 13, 2013 Paris rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, kindle
The only thing I liked about this book is the fact the leading lady was not a total idiot. And that is only because she didn't reject her mate out of spite. Unlike other female characters in the book. Full stories about them are coming up.... Aren't you just glaaaaaad?

That's the reason I don't like F-M romance novels. The way women are portrayed in romance books is just horrible. So I stick to M-M books. But from time to time I get my hopes up... and... wait for it... wait for it... yep! Nothing
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Jan 21, 2013 t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: BEAR SHIFTERS!!!!! nough said
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: Bookie: personal Bear Shifter provider
BEARS!!!! I adore Bear shifters and Dana Marie Bell doesn't let me down with this heartwarming entertaining novels about the Bears coming to Halle.

Description:

o hold onto his love, he must release his beast. Halle Shifters, Book 1 Once a Bear sets his mind on a mission, it's best to stay out of his way. Alexander "Bunny" Bunsun is that Bear. Something's not right with his cousin Chloe, and he's come to Halle, PA, to sort it out, turn his Harley around and head home to Oregon. Until an enticing s
Claudia
I really have to think about if I give 2 or 3 stars to this book ...

here are some of my reasons:
I like the ideas about destined mate and soul mates. but this book was a bit to much of that. both of them smelled each other - then it was clear they were mates, and that was the end of the story. there was no real development in the relationship - as they knew they were mates it did not matter anyway (yeah, I know I mention that quite a bit - but it really annoyed me)
the only development was the dif
  • The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)
  • Wolf Tracks (Granite Lake Wolves, #4)
  • Revelation (de La Vega Cats, #2)
  • Swan and the Bear (Furry United Coalition, #2)
  • Hour of the Lion (The Wild Hunt Legacy, #1)
  • Mary and the Bear (True Mates, #2)
  • Bodyguard (Shifters Unbound, #2.5)
  • Foxy Lady (Cougar Falls, #3)
  • The Wolf Within (Alpine Woods Shifters, #3)
  • Kiss and Kin (Werewolves in Love, #1)
  • My Shifter Showmance (Shifting Reality, #1)
Dana Marie Bell wrote her first short story when she was thirteen years old. She attended the High School for Creative and Performing Arts for creative writing, where freedom of expression was the order of the day. When her parents moved out of the city and placed her in a Catholic high school for her senior year she tried desperately to get away, but the nuns held fast, and she graduated with hon ...more
More about Dana Marie Bell...

Halle Shifters (5 books)
  • Cynful (Halle Shifters, #2)
  • Bear Naked (Halle Shifters, #3)
  • Figure of Speech (Halle Shifters, #4)
  • Indirect Lines (Halle Shifters, #5)

“She sort of had a mushroom childhood.'
'A what?'
'She was plunked down in the dark and fed a lot of bullshit.”
11 likes