Start by marking “Tasting Freedom: Octavius Catto and the Battle for Equality in Civil War America” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Octavius Valentine Catto was an orator who shared stages with Frederick Douglass, a second baseman on Philadelphia s best black baseball team, a teacher at the city s finest black school and an activist who fought in the state capital and on the streets for equal rights. With his racially-charged murder, the nation lost a civil rights pioneer one who risked his life a cent ...more
Published August 13th 2010 by Temple University Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tasting Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tasting Freedom

Charles Stephen
Recent history texts of The American Civil Rights Movement have tended to roll back its timeline before 1954 and expand its cast of heroes. Well, this book is about a civil rights leader whose murder came six years after the assassination of a great American President. Oh, you might think, another book about MLK and JFK. Biddle and Dubin are writing about the death of Octavius Valentine Catto in Philadelphia in 1871, six years after Abraham Lincoln’s assassination.

Expertly researched, this book
Lisa Tracy
"Tasting Freedom" by Dan Biddle and Murray Dubin is an indelible portrait of a man whose life spanned the last days of legal slavery in this country and the beginning of hard-won freedom. It was in that quest for freedom, on the streets of Philadelphia, that Octavius Catto lost his life. "Tasting Freedom" is a riveting slice of American history, beautifully told and offering very valuable background for the struggle for equality that continues today. Bravo, Messrs. Biddle and Dubin! Lisa Tracy
Very detailed, at times repetitive, but I learned a great deal about a part of our nation's history - and the people involved in it - that our history textbooks have neglected.
JoAnn Jordan
This is an excellent book on the civil rights movement of the 1800's. The history is told in very interesting prose.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the 1800's and especially those interested in Afro-American history. I found it riveting.
Beverly
Another helpful tile in the grand and complex mosaic of African American History. It also had personal resonance because Catto was friend of my great great grandmother and the book includes poem he wrote to her. My cousin Lillie is also interviewed in the book.
Brad
Very good book but I just couldn't finish it. Maybe someday. Highly recommended for folks who want to learn more about the African-American freedom struggle in the 19th century.
Daryl Grigsby
Aug 05, 2011 Daryl Grigsby is currently reading it
unheralded fighter for human dignity and black self-determination

Sarai Lillie
Sarai Lillie marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
G
G added it
May 06, 2015
Paul K.
Paul K. marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
I Be Reading
I Be Reading marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Renaldo Horn
Renaldo Horn marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Tywanna Johnson
Tywanna Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Brianny
Brianny marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Michelle Lawrence
Michelle Lawrence marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Tom Nailor
Tom Nailor marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Joshlynn
Joshlynn marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014