Start by marking “House of Shadows” as Want to Read:
House of Shadows

House of Shadows

An atmospheric mystery from Wales’ best-loved author - The Second World War is over. Artist Riana Evans falls in love with a dilapidated mansion in Wales, despite its rumoured ghosts, and is delighted when its elderly, eccentric owner sells it to her for a pittance. The ‘ghosts’ prove good for business – inspiring her paintings in an almost supernatural way and providing ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about House of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Shadows

SenoraG
Sep 05, 2011 SenoraG rated it liked it
I love a good creepy read, listening to a creepy read is even better. House of Shadows certainly had elements of both. Yes, it was very predictable but the spooky factor was still there. It is one of those books that is not out and out blood and gore but has those subtle undertones of creepiness.

I loved the mysterious old woman whom Riana befriends. She was the highlight of the book for me. Her comings and goings, her desire to have her husband's name cleared of horrible charges all made her qui
Kate
Feb 23, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris Gower presents us with a novel that is part cozy, part romance, part historical and part good old ghost story. It is set in Wales just after the end of WW II and is based on an existing historic home (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-...). It is a light but enjoyable story. The characters are engaging and there are a number of mysteries. Not all loose ends are tied up but that took little away from the story and may have been because it was her last novel. I am not big on romances but I ...more
Andrea Myers
Jun 14, 2016 Andrea Myers rated it it was ok
Overall this story was a bit of a shoulder shrug. It wasn’t terrible, but weeks on I remember very little of it that stood out as being overly interesting either. The haunting itself was totally uninspired with nothing ground-breaking or even remotely different from many short stories I’ve read over the years dealing with in house ghosts and mysteries. Some of the characters were fleetingly interesting but were never fully fleshed out to make way for the limp romance between Riana and an America ...more
Tanya
Nov 18, 2011 Tanya rated it liked it
I usually avoid books that sound a bit spooky but I bought the audio of this one & really enjoyed listening to it! I loved Beatrice, if only because I couldn't quite figure her out. I think I would have been as confused about who to trust as Riana was - quite twisty & turny with characters constantly changing direction.
Lisa
Nov 04, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story, had me gripped from page 1 a real page turner for me. I liked the plot about the missing plans and how it all tied in together at the end. Think I will read another book by this author.
Jun 19, 2012 Laura rated it did not like it
This book had all the elements I usually like in a book. Sadly I found it both predictable and far-fetched and the characters were not developed well at all. A disappointment.
Kara Fogle
Sep 19, 2014 Kara Fogle rated it really liked it
Not the best gothic-esque ghost story but very intriguing!! Many reviews called it predictable but I did not find that absolutely true!! Enjoyable read!!
Tairi
Tairi rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
marion roberts
marion roberts rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
Gordon Jones
Gordon Jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Hugh Jones
Hugh Jones rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2016
Lor
Lor rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2016
Sylvia Mort
Sep 26, 2013 Sylvia Mort rated it it was amazing
always amazing reads
Kaaren Spanski-dreffin
Kaaren Spanski-dreffin rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Beverley Kaye
Beverley Kaye rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2013
Ethel
Ethel rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
John Pember
John Pember rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
M
M rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Noiresque
Noiresque rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Renjay
Renjay rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Emma-Jane Stoner
Emma-Jane Stoner rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it did not like it
Nov 10, 2011
Sarah Booth
Sarah Booth rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Iris Gower (b. 1935) was a Swansea-based novelist. Her historical romances are all set within Swansea and Gower in South Wales.

Iris (real name Iris Davies) was born in Mumbles and lived in Derwen Fawr, a part of Sketty, Swansea. She had four adult children, though her husband of 48 years, Tudor Davies, died on 15 April 2002 after suffering a major stroke. She later lived with a partner, Peter.

She