Start by marking “The Wee Free Men” as Want to Read:
The Wee Free Men

The Wee Free Men (Discworld #30)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  56,172 ratings  ·  2,349 reviews

Up on the Wold, there's a monster in the river and a headless horseman in the drive. And now Granny Aching has gone, there's only young Tiffany Aching left to guard the boundaries. To stop . . . things getting through.

It's her land. Her duty.

But it's amazing how useful a horde of unruly pictsies can be - as long as they are pointed in th
Published July 1st 2010 by Corgi Childrens (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wee Free Men, please sign up.

Stacia No. But, if you read The Wee Free Men (love it!) first & want to read the other books with Tiffany Aching, those are best read in this order:
The Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
I Shall Wear Midnight(less)

I will never be able to write a book as good as this.

I just finished reading it again. This is probably my third or fourth time.

I love all of Pratchett's books. It's easy to do, as the best of them are utterly excellent, while the worst of them is merely great.

This, I think, might be his best. And I love it for so many reasons. It is diamond beyond price among the other brilliant (but perhaps lesser) diamonds.

Part of me wants to quote parts of it to you. But I won't. Out of context you can't f

I plan to use this book in the future as a strategic "weapon" for introducing my (future, hypothetical) daughter to the world of Terry Pratchett's imagination. Yes, I see it as a 'gateway drug' to fuel addiction to Sir Terry's writing. And that's the addiction I'm happy to perpetuate.
After all, this book introduces Tiffany Aching whom I love to pieces and want to adopt to be my level-headed and practical little sister.

"Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand
I'm a huge fan of dangerous books for boys. I love classic boys literature, whether Dumas's 'Count of Monte Cristo', Kipling's 'Jungle Book', Burroughs 'A Princess of Mars', Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', or Heinlein's juvenile fiction. I love good stories that instruct boys in being adults. I love them for being persistently politically incorrect, not just now but then. I love them because they are stories by people who obviously know boys and know what they need. And, I love them for just being fun a ...more
This was my first Terry Pratchett book. If you a looking for a way into his Discworld series (which is, at last count, 1 million books long), you could do worse. It's a totally separate story arc. It's the first of a shorter sub-series, giving you someplace to go if you like it. It's YA, so it goes down easy. It stars a creative, capable heroine and is in no way about her love of boys, which is always refreshing (still, still this is refreshing). And it's funny.

I mean, funny-ish. Funny is so inc
I really, really wish that I had a younger girl cousin to pass this book onto, because I think it's a perfect antidote for some of the books that are enjoying a vogue right now (*cough* Twilight *cough*). Where the latter feature some downright disturbing gender politics, The Wee Free Men has a heroine who's sensible and smart and capable; a realistic, strong relationship between grandmother and granddaughter; a world where women are bounded by preconceptions and gender roles and fears, but a ...more

Usually, I'm at a loss when it comes to Christmas gifts. I don't like to give articles of clothing and gift cards feel too impersonal. I get by with the occasional bottle of perfume, compilation album or with some silly toy, but this year I think I've stumbled on a real gem: I bought The Wee Free Men because it is by Pratchett and because it says on the back cover the heroine is nine year's old. Turns out is is one of the very best in the whole Discworld catalogue, one of the funniest but also
Young sheep farmer's daughter begins training to be the witch of the chalk hills that she loves. She has the help of a lot of six-inch fairies with drinking problems and pointy swords, which is good because there's no school for learning witchery, unless you think of the whole world as the school.

Oh, marvelous. I read the three published books straight through everywhere I went, and I know I disturbed people by standing there beaming in the elevator. There may also have been bouncing.

These books

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

A toast from
It is a just a tiny review for this one as sadly I did not enjoy my first try of one of Terry Pratchett's books. I did not gel with the writing style. The style was actually quite similar to that of Neil Gaiman's books and so unsurprisingly I had the same issues. The story itself was too ridiculous to take seriously and I felt like the characters were just inconsequential mouthpieces for the author to crack some jokes and offer a few witty insights on society. Now admittedly I liked the general ...more
OK, I’m going to start this review with some maths. No! Wait, don’t go. It’s going to be YA style maths and, well, it’s me… so it’ll be dead easy.
Though before we begin, you can leave your payment in the basket just over there. Not vegetables. I want chocolate. Not got any? No worries…I’ll wait until you come back from the paper shop*.

Hermione Granger + Mildred Hubble + Matilda Wormwood = Tiffany Aching.

I’m almost tempted to just leave this review at that because, honestly, if you’re
First read: 2003
Re-read: August 2015

This is the first Terry Pratchett novel I have read since his death back in March and I am planning to re-read the entire Tiffany Aching series before I read the final Tiffany Aching/Discworld novel which comes out next week.
I have never tried to review a Terry Pratchett novel before and I'm not sure I can fully do one of his novels justice with my words. I read my first Discworld novel (Mort) at eleven years old and his books have been part of my life ever si
Steven Harbin
I’m presently about half way through reading this marvelous little book. People have been recommending Mr. Pratchett’s work to me for years, and I must say that I’m sorry I took so long to finally start one of his books. I did read Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch a while back, which he co-authored with Neil Gaiman, and that book was excellent, but I was going through my NG phase at the time, and moved on to several of Gaiman’s books after reading GO. In retrosp ...more
I will start this post with another Old School Wednesdays’ confession: I only ever read one Terry Pratchett novel, Good Omens ages ago and that was only because he wrote that in collaboration with Neil Gaiman.

I know what you’re thinking right now: “CRIVENS! I can’t believe you haven’t read any Terry Pratchett till now, Ana.”

I KNOW, right? Anyway, the real problem with this course of action was of course, WHERE to start, given as how Pratchett has over 40 novels in the Discworld series alone. I h
Mar 02, 2008 Beverly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beverly by: Kim
From the review on my blog:
Pratchett takes all sorts of fairy tales and children's stories--including one of my faves, Peter Pan--and mashes them into his own tale about Tiffany, a nine-year-old witch in training. Tiffany is gutsy, smart (she's got First Sight and Second Thoughts; I need to develop both myself!), and ethical. In the same way I wanted to be Jo March when I first read Little Women, I can imagine any girl selecting Tiffany as a role model.

Pratchett never writes down to his reader;
Brilliant! Or, should I say, Crivens! I love Terry Pratchett's work, and his latest endeavors into Takes-Place-On-Discworld-But-Isn't-A-Discworld-Novels are, if possible, even better than just your standard Discworld novels. If you could ever have a 'standard' Discworld novel...

Premise: A 9 year old proto-witch's little brother gets stolen by the evil Queen (or quin) of the Faeries. (what is with all the books with evil fae in them lately!). She has the makings of a powerful witch someday, but r
That was such a great story! So full of unexpected characters and happenings. I loved the Wee Free Men!

Even better than reading it, was listening to Stephen Briggs. Fantastic.
Other Discworld books grabbed my attention a little sooner, but I still enjoyed this one. The parts on life and philosophy are always thought-provoking.
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Aug 24, 2015 Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy novels and other Terry Pratchett novels
Shelves: favorites
Published: 15/08/2006
Author: Terry Pratchett

I absolutely loved this book! It had me laughing and smiling. I think it is a very well written young adult book and if you are just starting off reading the Discworld Series then this is a good book to start with as it is seperate from the rest of the series, you wont miss out on anything or feel like you have missed out on something. Two really great characters that I think all the readers will love... Tiffany Aching and Nac Mac Feegle.
The unique w
There are a lot of books for young readers that claim to encourage "girl power" and provide girls with a heroine that they can really be proud of. But Harriets and Matildas and Pippis are rarer today then they were 30 years ago, a trend that is disturbing the more one thinks about it. Most of these 'empowering' books end up perpetuating the old archetypes and rarely can these heroines accomplish anything alone.

Terry Pratchett with Tiffany Aching spins the headology he coined for Esme Weatherwax
“Yes,” said a voice, and Tiffany realized that it was hers again. The anger rose up, joyfully. “Yes! I’m me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don’t understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That’s the kind of person I am!”

Tiffany Aching is flipping awesome. The witches are awesome. Terry Pratchett is awesome. And cheese is awesome.

I have to say, with a world as vast as Dis
If you haven't read Terry Pratchett, you're missing out--he's one of the most humorous, creative, and profound fantasy writers I've come across. This book is a nice, self-contained story about a young girl, Tiffany Aching, who lives out in the countryside in Pratchett's fantasy world, the Discworld. The story itself is about faeries, but not exactly twinkly sparkly happy faeries.
Tiffany Aching is intensely curious and loves to both think and question everything around her, including the simple
Mar 26, 2011 Callista rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: julia Andersen, Werner, all Harry Potter fans, & fantasy readers with daughters
A truly delightful book. Funny and wise, irreverent and touching, philosophical and lovely. In other words, classic Terry Pratchett.
Definitely NOT exclusively a kids' book just because the main character is 9 years old. But it would be lots of fun to read this aloud to a child of any age.
Tiffany is a worthy addition to the Discworld cast of witches, another of Pratchett's wonderfully 3-dimensional female characters. I look forward to reading about her further adventures.
I'd seen the Wee Free
As usual, Pratchett manages to explore meaty questions (the nature of reality, family love, the relationship between knowledge and magic and common sense) in the midst of very involved silliness, and the silliness is of a high order, indeed. this is one of the most cohesively plotted of the Disc World books--not that I am generally very picky about my Disc world books.
Mary Catelli
The first book in the Tiffany Aching trilogy, the Discworld YA books. (Helps a bit if you've read some of the Witch books first.) I was at first wary because his first venture in YA did not impress me. This is much better.

Tiffany Aching is the youngest daughter of seven, with a younger brother, on a sheepfarm on the Chalk. The witch Miss Tick is watching when she is warned by a Nac Mac Feegle (a small but extremely fierce group of the -- ehem -- Fair Folk) and, using a frying pan, deals with a J
I finally know why readers praise the works of Terry Pratchett! I don't consider myself a science fiction or fantasy reader but with a gifted writer you forget the genre and become the cheering section for the good guys. In this case, it is a sensible young girl, Tiffany Aching, who has always wanted to be a witch. Since Wee Free Men is one of the many books in Pratchett's Discworld series, her dreams can come true. And they do, with nightmares as well as magic!

The most important lesson for a wi
Where have you been all my life, Terry Pratchett? How could you have written so many books, and I am just now discovering you? The bad news is, I have missed out on so much good reading, here. The good news is, I still have it all ahead of me, and I’m excited to have all these stories waiting for my reading pleasure! I can’t wait to delve into each and every one of the 39 books (so far) in this series!

The Wee Free Men is actually the 30th book in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series. It had the fe
This is my first Terry Pratchett. ::pause for collective gasp::

And I liked it. It was a good choice for an audiobook, because I didn't feel a need to pay much attention to the plot. This book's appeal, to me, is the language. Pratchett is clever and witty, and snippets of dialogue are funny all alone. I didn't feel particularly invested in the characters, and never got a completely clear picture of what the world was supposed to look like (the flowery pants with lace threw me for a loop). I like
The Witch books are definitely the best of the Discworld books. I adore Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. Tiffany Aching is a wonderful addition for the next generation of witches. She lives on the chalk where witches are frowned upon, but she still wants to be one. She wants to be a witch because the stories all make them out to be evil, but there is no proof. And there was an old woman who was turned out as a witch for no reason. Tiffany doesn't see any reason for this and wants to do something ...more
*Granny Aching, and her relationship with Tiffany. Not many books portray older characters as full-fledged people, and Tiffany's closeness to her grandmother struck a chord with me.
*The Nac Mac Feegles. I kept catching myself reading their salty dialogue aloud, in my best (very bad) approximation of a Scottish accent.
*The first sight v. second sight dichotomy. Not sure how to describe this without spoiling a bit, but it was great.
*Tiffany's attitude toward magic a
April Cote
"It’s still magic even if you know how it’s done."

I could go on and on about this book, I absolutely adored it. It is everything you want in a fantasy; a smart heroine, adventure, magic, humor, witches, evil queens, bits of wisdom and my favorite, the pixies, who are called the Wee Free Men.

I will be telling everyone I know who loves fantasy, that they must read this book. I want to give it to my kids, so that it will encourage them to keep their beautiful imaginations. And I will encourage adu
2015 Reading Chal...: The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett 2 14 Feb 26, 2015 02:40AM
Accents 45 262 Jan 22, 2015 11:33AM
The Sword and Laser: Too many good books! 12 177 Feb 21, 2014 03:51PM
  • The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • The True Meaning of Smekday
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 5: Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius #5)
  • The Folk Keeper
  • The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.” 828 likes
“Witches are naturally nosy,” said Miss Tick, standing up. “Well, I must go. I hope we shall meet again. I will give you some free advice, though.”
“Will it cost me anything?”
“What? I just said it was free!” said Miss Tick.
“Yes, but my father said that free advice often turns out to be expensive,” said Tiffany.
Miss Tick sniffed. “You could say this advice is priceless,” she said, “Are you listening?”
“Yes,” said Tiffany.
“Good. Now...if you trust in yourself...”
“...and believe in your dreams...”
“...and follow your star...” Miss Tick went on.
“’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy. Goodbye.”