Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13)

Agatha Raisin and the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin #13)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,470 ratings  ·  148 reviews
Agatha Raisin has just about had it - James has abandoned her, the new neighbor has made an unseenly proposition, and the new curate seems to be taking a more than normal interest in her. Now he is dead.
Published 2010 by Constable & Robinson Ltd (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Curious Curate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and the Curious Curate

Nancy
For me, the actual murder in the Agatha Raisin books is secondary to the ongoing of the characters involved. With each book you pick up, Agatha finds herself embroiled in another domestic situation, with it being either her missing almost ex-husband James, the new neighbor – which is always an attractive man, Bill Wong – her favorite policeman, or my favorite Mrs. Bloxby. A perfect counterbalance to Agatha, who always keeps things in perspective and possesses the perfect words of wisdom that Aga ...more
Tasneem
I love Agatha Raisin. She is so funny and she goes through men at such a rate. The curate turns out to be such a dreadful man and the murder was not unexpected. Just found the killer a bit of a surprise. I loved the interaction with Bill Wong though and it was funny to see her destroy the relationship with John Armitage.

I just enjoyed the descriptions of village life, of the Morris dancing turning into a brawl, of the duck races, of the organisations of village affairs. The books are delightful,
Yvonne
Agatha Raisin is terribly bored these days. Her husband has deserted her and her dear friend Charles is living his own life. Her neighbor John insulted her and she’s absolutely through with men. She’s not the least bit interested when the vicar’s wife tells her about the new curate, Tristan Delon. The women of Carsely are all falling head over heels for the handsome guy, but Agatha couldn’t care less. Or could she?

When Tristan invites her to dinner, Agatha is thrilled. At the same time, she real
Cozy Reader
Agatha is at a loose end. Her ex-husband, James Lacey, is gone and her friend and some-time lover, Sir Charles Fraith, is in Paris. When the vicar’s wife, Mrs Bloxby, advises that a new curate is coming to Carsley, Agatha doesn’t realize that this is going to be the start of a new adventure. Everyone in Carsley is smitten with the handsome, new curate. However not everyone shares that opinion, and when the curate ends up dead, it seems the police are ready to pin the murder on Mr Bloxby, the vic ...more
Anne
Another great book by M C Beaton. Agatha is once more smitten, as are most of the ladies in the village. But the new curate, Tristan Delon is not all that he seems and before long, he is no more, he has become a murder victim. Agatha is soon hot on the trail of the killer. There are a number of suspects in the frame, including the vicar, Alf Bloxby, supposedly jealous of Tristan's popularity. But with Agatha on the case, things become ever more complicated with many twists and turns, right until ...more
Sallee
I found this Agatha Raisin a really great read. The story was well paced, the characters well developed and the ending was a surprise. Carsely, the village that Agatha lives in gets a new curate at the church. He is a beautiful man and soon many of the female congregants are swayed by his looks. When he is found dead in the Vicar's office, Agatha and her neighbor John feel they must investigate as the Vicar is considered a person of interest. Many people thought that Vicar Bloxby was jealous Th ...more
Paula
This is the second Agatha Raisin mystery I've read, and I liked this one a lot better than the first one I read. The murder victim is only the jumping off point in these stories. Agatha and her friends in the village are all wonderfully described main characters, and then there are the other people somehow or other connected to the murder victim. All in all, a good story. And in this one there were quite a few places where I thought I knew who the killer was, but no, the story suddenly took a sh ...more
Marti
The Raisin books are better than they might seem at first. I read at least one more of them a while back. This time it is for our book group--a nice change from PD James so called sequel to Pride and Prejudice. Another book category I do not care for is animal books, and there is one of them coming down the pike. Usually the animals face accidents, dismemberment and of course, death. Agatha has a lot to amuse the reader, and she is sometimes quite savvy. THe person who advised us to make lemonad ...more
Ed
#13 in the Agatha Raisin series. Agatha is a middle-aged, romantic woman who retired early from a Public Relations career in London to the small village of Carsley in the English Cotswolds.

Agatha Raisin is attracted to the new curate and accepts a dinner invitation. She doesn't care for his invitation to invest her funds. The next morning the curate is found dead and Vicar Bloxby is suspected. Agatha and new neighbor, mystery writer John Armitage, investigate and find the curate had a habit of r
Dolly
This is the 13th book in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. The plot centers on Agatha's investigations of the death of the new curate in town, who was a very odd, but beautiful and highly sought-after man. Once again, Aggie places herself in dangerous situations and makes mistakes by the nines, but she seems to be taking herself more seriously as a detective.

At the beginning of this story, both James Lacey and Charles Fraith were out of the picture, so Agatha turns to her neighbor, John A
Lncropper
Someone gave my sister this book, and she gave it to me. It's kind of a fun mystery if you're a fan, but it is #13 in the series, and I hate coming in in the middle of something. Not that the case doesn't stand alone; it does, but it seems like it would help to have read the others.

Agatha is a likable sleuth, but I have trouble warming up to someone who is described several times as "having completed her breakfast of three cigarettes and two cups of coffee." She also flatters herself that the mu
Michelle
(3.5 stars) The 13th book in the Agatha Raisin series has Agatha back in the Carsley. She is still somewhat depressed over James, but her friend Mrs. Bloxby hopes she will cheer up by meeting the new curate, who has all the village ladies fluttering, much to her husband, the vicar’s, dismay. Agatha is charmed by Tristan, and he invites her for a private dinner, using his charm to try to get into her bank account. When she puts him off as a financial advisor, he ends the dinner early and mocks he ...more
Ann Boytim
Dear Agatha is into her usual detecting and at the same time she has sworn off men, cigarettes and food but as usual she disregards her own rules which is why she is a fun character. Agatha gets in trouble with her policeman friend Bill after lying about investigating three murders in the village where she lives. Agaith is trying to find out the truth but gets herself in deeper and deeper.
Kimberley
OK, so this one was a sanity saver. Got to work this morning to a power cut and with everything being done on computers after the filing was done I was at a loss, being prepared I always have a few books stashed in my bottom desk drawer for boredom emergencies.

This was a surprisingly quick read since I read the whole thing in around 6 hours straight, unlike the following book this one I got into easily, there was little reference to previous adventures that made it more straight forward.

The stor
Kate Millin
Amateur sleuth Agatha Raisin is going through a man-hating phase and so is unmoved by news of a captivating new curate. But when she meets the golden-haired blue-eyed Tristan Delon, she is swept off her feet....along with everymother female in her little village. She is positively ecstatic when he invites her to dine with him, but e next day Agatha is nursing a hangover from he'll and someone has done for the curate in the night.....

I found Agatha a more sympathetic character is this book as she
Rachel Gilbey
Another fast to read Agatha Raisin book. If you have already read others in the series you will enjoy this. If you haven't it probably does stand alone.

I find each book in the series is like catching up with old friends and it was good to see what scrapes Agatha gets herself into this time
Alan
One of the best Agatha Raisin books: the plot about a gold-digging, malicious curate was interesting with a couple of twists; Agatha was not miserably in love which made a nice change; and there was plenty of Mrs Bloxley, the Vicar's wife, which is always good!
Pat
Agatha Raisin showed her human side a bit more in this book than she sometimes does. The mystery of what happened to the curate was certainly confusing - so many characters who had something to hide! No matter what, good old Agatha never gives up on finding a man.
Bridget Martin
If you look at my books you will see that I am a fan of Agatha Raisin.
I love that she is grumpy, naive, and so kind.
I read these delightful books between my darker choices.
And I keep going back for more.
This mystery was engaging.
Helene Harrison
Review - I do like how there are a lot of the same recurring characters in these novels, particularly Bill Wong, Roy Silver and Agatha Raisin. These, combined with a few new characters, generally keep the books fresh. This one wasn't very appealing to me. It seemed too much the same as those before it. I did like, however, how we saw more of the Bloxbys in this one. The humour in these books is amazing as it is constant, and very clever.

Genre? - Crime / Mystery / Murder

Characters? - Agatha Raisi
Ali

The 13th installment of this highly entertaining series sees Agatha feeling a bit down in the mouth and not always looking her best. When the oddly beautiful new curate is found murdered Agatha is thrust unwillingly into another case, this time with her neighbour John Armitage as side kick - although he has a tendency to take over rather. A quite clever plot - which I didn't guess - but then I am rubbish at solving them myself usually - with an amusing sub plot involving Bill Wong's latest girlf
Bonnie
As always, Agatha Raisin's adventures entertain. Agatha has a new neighbor to sleuth with. There are twists, but the main attraction is Agatha herself.
Lorraine
Poor Agatha. I'd hate to have her clothing and beauty parlor bills! Up to her neck in murder and mayhem again. Good summer read.
Deanne
Agatha is nursing a broken heart and a hatred of men following the events of the previous book.
However there is a new handsome curate in the village who seems to be cutting a swathe through the local female population. However who is this man and why would anyone want to kill him.
Sheila
I always enjoy Agatha. When the new church curate is murdered, Agatha and James are on the case.
Mary
Continuing on my route to reading/listening to the M. C. Beaton library. Another good one.
kelly a conner
Entertaining and Humorous

Pretty good read! nothing shocking uhh t follows previous plot patterns. Great light read for a weekend or vacation stay
Carole
Agatha Raisin retired from her career and moved to a small English village. She became bored and found that she was good at solving murders so she eventually opened a detective agency. In each book she solves at least one murder. She is not the warm, welcoming type, instead she is jealous if others get credit and she's doesn't; and she's always on the look-out for a new man in her life. To illustrate her jealousy, she gets upset if her two cats seem to like someone else more than they do her. Th ...more
Neil
Triston Delon is the new curatre in Carsley. When Reverend Bloxby is taken ill, the Sunday service is swarmed with admirers of the new curate. It seems he has been busy befriending the local ladies but after an evening with Agatha he is found stabbed with a letter opener.
Suspiscion falls on Alf Bloxby, but could the calm Reverend really be a murderer?! Agatha is determined to find the true culprit.

Another gentle entry to the series with a few biting Raisin remarks, the usual mix of interviewing
Nina
Another hilarious Agatha Raisin, I never tire of these books despite that they are all on the same vein. They are great when you want a lighter read.
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)