Start by marking “The Jungle Book” as Want to Read:
The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book (The Jungle Book #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  77,924 Ratings  ·  2,158 Reviews
A classic story of friendship between man and beast.

Saved from the jaws of the evil tiger Shere Khan, young Mowgli is adopted by a wolf pack and taught the law of the jungle by lovable old Baloo the bear and Bagheera the panther. The adventures of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi the snake-fighting mongoose, little Toomai and the elephant's secret dance, and Kotick the white seal are all
Published March 1st 1995 by Puffin (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Jungle Book, please sign up.

Steve I read it in an eBook anthology, but elsewhere have seen the number vary between 120 and 130 pages.

Manny
We are the masters of our planet, but we are not very good masters. We are, in the blunt phrase I saw a zoologist use the other day, a plague species. Sometimes, one feels the world would be better off without human beings. This isn't necessarily a counsel of despair or treachery. Our true loyalty should be not to mankind but to our genes, and most of those genes are to be found in other species who are far less destructive. It would almost be a relief if the beautiful and savage animals we shar ...more
Kenny

4.5/5 Kipling, Mowgli, and I have been on a long journey together. I started The Jungle Book nearly ten years ago. I lost my copy when I moved from the west coast to Chicago, found it again, picked up where I left off, lost it again when I moved to Wisconsin, and found it again in 2014. Since then, it lingered on my nightstand waiting for me to join Mowgli again on his jungle adventures until last week.

These stories are absolutely beautiful. It comes as no surprise that Kipling considered himse
Apatt
Oct 01, 2015 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names”

The opening poem of The Jungle Book: “Now Rann the Kite brings home the night” etc. is much more elegant than Axl Rose’s effort, but I feel it would be much nicer for you to read it in the context of the book.

Now if you are looking for a review from someone with an in-depth knowledge of Rudyard Kipling’s works you had better look elsewhere. My Kipling-fu is so feeble I did not even know The Jungle Boo
Lynne King
Two weeks ago I arrived at Aberdovey, a small seaside village on the Dyfi estuary in west Wales. So to discover sun, and thus an ideal day for the beach, I needed a book. Having no luck finding a bookshop, and minus my Kindle, the young man in the pub mentioned that the RNLI were selling books. So when I saw the smiling face of Mowgli on the cover of “The Jungle Book”, well I had to purchase it and also support the Lifeboats as they do such marvellous work.

I had read this collection of short sto
Nandakishore Varma
IMO, Rudyard Kipling is the worst example of the quintessential British Imperialist and Colonialist. His attitude towards India is contemptuous and condescending. As a person, I dislike him intensely.

Kipling writes beautifully. His stories are simple, engaging and profound at the same time. As a writer, I love him.

This is a childhood favourite. I read it first in translation, and then in the original. This is a true classic - it works for one as a child as well as an adult.
Aileene
Aug 07, 2016 Aileene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aileene by: Luke Taylor
PRE - READ.

...as he believes I read too much Abs books *wrinkles nose*

Commencing on the 8th of August (9 Aug - Aus time)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

POST-READ

EDITED FOR Luke's review link.

This is the second time I read The Jungle Book. The first one was when I was in secondary school as I had to write an essay for it.

This story was memorable coz it was the same time when I first start wearing glasses. So, needless to say this was the very first story I read with
Kristen
No this is not your Disney movie - Kipling wrote a fantastic series of short stories, only a few of which include Mowgli. Baloo is not a lazy idiot, Kaa is not a bad guy, SherKahn is killed rather then run off, the wolves are not always the noble good guys... this is VERY different then our cotton candy Disney film. And so much more enjoyable for it.

Also included are the tales of Rikki Tikki Tavi, the Elephant Dance, and the White Seal. I would have to say that my favorite is Rikki Tikki Tavi, h
Mariah
Jul 04, 2016 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am trying to read more classics, so why not start off with the Jungle book? This book is short enough that it only takes two CDs to listen to and a new movie version just came out about this book.

The characters were interesting and very different from the movie. For example, Baloo was apart of the wolf pack the whole time. His job is to train the pups. This is completely different than the movie.

All in all, I enjoyed this read! I’m glad this is my first classic, after starting up again. Also,
Terry
Rudyard Kipling’s _The Jungle Book_ is an enjoyable read. A collection of short stories, all of which revolve around the lives and troubles of different animals and the people who interact with them, it has a surprising amount of depth coupled with rather pleasant prose. The most famous of these stories are probably those that revolve around Mowgli, the jungle boy raised by wolves in India whose adventures with Baloo the bear and Bagheera the panther against the machinations of Shere Khan the ti ...more
Amber Tucker
Aug 06, 2010 Amber Tucker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore children's lit fans
Lesson learned from this book: having been much- and long-beloved does not automatically make a book worth reading.
The only particular reason I picked this one off my shelf was the feeling it's a "classic" of children's lit, which I felt slightly ashamed of never having had a chance to enjoy – I assumed must be classically marvellous. (I mean, I don't know if I ever even watched the Disney adaptation all the way through. I was actually expecting all Mowgli stories. More than half are not, act
Celeste
Full review posted below.

This was my first book completed on the Serial Reader app, an awesome way to read classic works of literature in less than fifteen minutes a day. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in reading some classics, but who doesn’t want to get bogged down in them. And no, I haven’t been asked to advertise the app; I just really think it was a fantastic idea, and the execution of that idea was incredibly well done.

End advertisement. ;) Onto the story at hand.

Most ev
Sinem
Nov 03, 2016 Sinem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çocukken filmini izleyip hayran oldum. sonra da bu hayranlığımı hiç kaybetmedim. ancak kitabı çok aradım. çocuk kitabı olarak vardı ama büyükler için versiyonu bulunmuyordu. sadece bu boşluğu doldurduğu için bile İthaki yi tebrik etmeliyim.
bu baskıda sadece orman kitabı değil başka öyküler de var ; sizi hayvanlar aleminde farklı maceralara sürükleyen...
AMEERA
Aug 07, 2016 AMEERA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my best childhood story absolutely jungle the book * mowgli * beautiful adventure
I loved it ❤
Olga Godim
Apr 25, 2014 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Last time I read The Jungle Book was years ago, to my son, when he was a preschooler. I didn’t remember much before I started this read. It might be that I only read him selective stories, because my memory of the stories was sketchy. Mowgli – aye, all of them, even the ones included in the other Jungle book. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi – yes, of course. But I don’t remember ever reading The White Seal or a couple other stories, so my impression of them is fresh.
The entire book is simplistic on the surfac
PurplyCookie
Apr 13, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it liked it
Kipling pours fuel on childhood fantasies with his tales of Mowgli, lost in the jungles of India as a child and adopted into a family of wolves. Mowgli is brought up on a diet of Jungle Law, loyalty, and fresh meat from the kill.

"The boy could climb almost as well as he could swim, and swim almost as well as he could run; so Baloo, the Teacher of the Law, taught him the Wood and Water Laws. Then, too, Mowgli was taught the Stranger's Hunting Call, which must be repeated aloud till it is answere
GoldGato
This classic story by Rudyard Kipling, telling of the adventures of Mowgli who is raised by wolves in the jungles of India, gets the Ingpen treatment. That is, the illustrations are by Australian artist Robert Ingpen, who brings the animals to life in the best edition I have seen of Kipling's tales for children.

This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.

Kipling. His pen could write with a silver tongue. The sounds and denizens of the jungle come alive with his words. Now add th
Werner
Feb 13, 2008 Werner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of stories about animals and/or jungle adventure
Shelves: classics
Lost in the jungles of 19th-century India (the book was first published in 1894) as a toddler, little Mowgli is rescued from the vicious tiger Shere Khan by an adoptive family of wolves, who raise him as part of their pack. The author's various species of jungle animals exhibit many traits and behaviors characteristic of real ones (Kipling was born and raised in India, and his setting is depicted with a deftness born of first-hand observation); but he also endows them with a culture and language ...more
Paul
Sep 05, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent dramatisation of a classic tale. I'm not going to review the actual book other than to say that if you only know 'The Jungle Book' from the Disney movie, you owe it to yourself to read the original book. It's more than a little different.

This dramatisation is really good. The cast is superb and they all do a fantastic job of bringing the characters they are voicing to life. The sound effects are also amazing as is the general production value. I'm not usually a fan of music
K.M. Weiland
Mar 23, 2016 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Disney's Jungle Book--and that's a good thing. As much as I love the classic Disney cartoon version, this is a delightful story in its original incarnation, featuring a much grittier jungle and a much more independent young Mowgli. Aside from the Mowgli stories, there are also several other charmers, including my childhood favorite "Riki-Tiki-Tavi" and the ending story about the army animals. This is Kipling at his rightful best.
Kelly Ferguson
Jun 19, 2012 Kelly Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
You know you've been in grad school when...you can't read a children's classic without analyzing its Orientalist perspective. To read this book then, you have to do that thing where you forget there's been advances in social perspectives and take Kipling as a product of his time—a British colonialist.

Now that we've gotten that over with, I was surprisingly spellbound by these tales of Mowgli and his jungle friends. Kipling had me in a thrall, and I wanted to believe this fantasy of being raised
John
Jul 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection, including all of Mowgli's stories as well as Rikki-tikki-tavi, was culled from Kipling's original, two volume collection of jungle stories. I like the thematic continuity of this volume, and including the mongoose story as a capstone played very well to my young audience.

Mowgli's journey as a boy raised among wolves resonates on a deeply human and humane level. Kipling clearly stacks the deck in favor of the animals--at least those who operate according to the Law of the Jungle-
aPriL does feral sometimes
"Now Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free--
The herds are shut in byre and hut,
For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! - Good hunting all
That keep the Jungle Law!"
Night-song in the jungle

'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling is a book of delightful short stories and poem-songs about talking animals. Five of the stories follow Mowgli, who as a human toddler was separated from his parents after Shere Khan, t
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
A unique classic. Before you watch Disney, try reading the real thing. This is a wonderful book for young and old alike from the scary snakes to the crazy wicked monkeys to the terrifying tiger and the cool and powerful panther. This is a classic story that needs to be read.

Five stars. It's a hugh favorite.
Mary ♥
Jan 20, 2017 Mary ♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.3/5 stars

Have you ever felt like you're reading something and your whole childhood is coming back to you? Like you forget all of your problems and feel like a small child that still has so much to learn, so much to explore? Like you are not in your house or some other dull place, but in the jungle, feeling the hard ground under your feet, and smelling the different kinds of plants in the air? Have you ever read som
Kit
Nov 14, 2013 Kit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread from childhood; it is amazing to me how much a book like this instantly returns me to the feelings I had as a child. This book inspired many playtime fantasies of being raised by wolves and having to fend for myself, making me feel more powerful and confident than I usually felt as a shy middle child. I even had a black cat, Thomas, who I cast as Bagheera, to play along with me.

The poetry is my favorite part of the book, to be honest. I can't count the number of times I used the rhythmic
Rebecca McNutt
I wasn't sure at first whether or not I would like The Jungle Book, but it was an amazing story with so many different and imaginative characters and scenarios! It was a little dated, but still a classic.
sanny
I read this book in small morsels at work, mostly during toilet breaks (I dunno why, I brought the book one day and it became a habit). The restroom is the one room in the house/office that gives off Jungle Book vibes, I'm telling you. Don't try this in public toilets or unhygienic ones of course. Imagine all the extra germs flying about as you forgot that you're there to do some business and not read a book.

So, yeah. Sometimes I forgot where I was while reading as my mind was in the tropical ju
Hannah
Mar 01, 2017 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't quite what I expected. My mom read the story of Mowgli to me as a child, and I guess I didn't realize there were more stories in this book; I just thought she hadn't finished the main story. Anyway, I enjoyed the first few and the fact that Kipling uses some variety with them. But the last two (about the elephants and the war animals) bored me. Glad I read it once in full but probably won't again.
Patrizia O

«In considerazione del potere dell'osservazione, dell'originalità dell'immaginazione, la forza delle idee ed il notevole talento per la narrazione che caratterizzano le creazioni di questo autore famoso nel mondo»

Questa è la motivazione del Premio Nobel che fu attribuito a Kipling nel 1907. Il “Libro della Giungla” non mi sembra che rispecchi in pieno tale motivazione.
Ho trovato la scrittura di Kipling scorrevole e i racconti gradevoli, ma non particolarmente appassionanti. Sono storie ch
Eustacia Tan
Oct 11, 2011 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Previously, I only knew about The Jungle Book if it was the Disney movie, which I didn't even watch. The show looked a little infantile and frankly, I didn't really get it.

Later on, I read and loved The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, which I heard was based on The Jungle Book. Interesting, but still not enough to get me to read it.

Finally, I read The God of Small Things by Arundathi Roy. In it, they quoted The Jungle Book's "We be of one blood, thou and I". After meeting all these instances of
http://supplementranking.com/renuglow/ 1 1 Mar 19, 2017 10:07PM
http://www.goldenhealthyreviews.com/somabiotix/ 1 2 Jan 23, 2017 09:10PM
http://www.cleanseboosteravis.com/rejuvonus/ 1 2 Jan 10, 2017 03:41AM
http://www.findfitnessidea.com/enhance-mind-iq/ 1 2 Oct 30, 2016 10:27PM
Around the Year i...: The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling 8 48 Sep 28, 2016 08:12PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Jungle Book Discussion - *SPOILERS* 22 28 Sep 24, 2016 05:44AM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Jungle Book - pre-read 39 32 Sep 14, 2016 10:08AM
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Little Golden Book)
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • The Children of the New Forest
  • Pinocchio
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3
  • Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • English Fairy Tales
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...

The Jungle Book (2 books)
  • The Second Jungle Book

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” 277 likes
“Now, don't be angry after you've been afraid. That's the worst kind of cowardice.” 68 likes