Start by marking “Daytripper” as Want to Read:
Daytripper

Daytripper

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  12,192 ratings  ·  1,082 reviews
What are the most important days of your life?

Meet Brás de Oliva Domingos. The miracle child of a world-famous Brazilian writer, Brás spends his days penning other people's obituaries and his nights dreaming of becoming a successful author himself—writing the end of other people's stories, while his own has barely begun.

But on the day that life begins, would he even notice
Published February 8th 2011 by Vertigo (DC Comics) (first published January 1st 2011)

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
42nd out of 2,063 books — 4,603 voters
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern1Q84 by Haruki MurakamiThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittThe Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison AllenThe American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
Best Cover Art 2011 (Non-YA)
33rd out of 276 books — 1,596 voters

More lists with this book...

Seth Hahne
Let's get this out of the way up front: Daytripper may be the best graphic novel I've ever had the pleasure to read. Consider yourselves warned.

Perhaps Daytripper's biggest success is that it saves itself from being cliche. All the things that people want to say about it (e.g. "The book is life-affirming" or "The book shows that death is just another part of life") are exactly the kinds of things that could be said about that new movie that you don't want to see, the one that is bound to be an o
Patrick

Damn. This is probably the most profound new story I've read in at least a couple of years.

Keep in mind that this is a story about stories. About beginnings and endings. These things are close to my heart.
Kat Stark
Feb 20, 2015 Kat Stark marked it as to-read
Recommended to Kat Stark by: Nick
GOT IT IN THE MAIL TODAY!! :D

Keith
Not to be mean (or hell, you know, yeah, kind of pretty much to be mean), but I'm not really sure that all these people falling all over themselves over Daytripper have really read enough comics, or enough books, or have lived enough, or have gone outside enough in general.

Wait! Come back! I'm sorry. I didn't mean it.

I mean, I know you've read enough stuff. I know you're a totally great human being. Really, I do; everyone says so.

And it's totally absolutely fine if you like this comic. Or if yo
Mariel
Jun 14, 2013 Mariel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the obit writer wanna be author in death and the penguin wasn't even this douchey
Recommended to Mariel by: I was foolishly intrigued that the authors were identical twins like me
Brás de Oliva Domingos' life began 28 years ago and it ended on a Friday morning as he was hit by a truck on his way for his morning coffee. He was always there when his friends needed him, was close to his family, and he, like everyone else, was trying to find his way in the desert, looking for that oasis we like to call... "love."

Someone stop Brás de Oliva Domingos. He's the obituary writer and he is writing about only himself on a fierce ego trip.

I would rather that was the story. It might
Nick
Feb 14, 2015 Nick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who's looking for a story about embracing life.
Disclaimer: Even if you don’t read graphic novels, pause to read this.

Here’s the deal. I spoilered quotations (once again) just in case people don’t want me to steal the joy of reading them for the first time on the actual pages they originate from.

I want you to read this book and in order to convince you, I want you to read the quotations (obviously, that’s why they’re included.) So I advise you randomly select two, read just those, and let the rest swoop in from the beautiful pages of this g
Teresa
Nov 29, 2014 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teresa by: rhea
While reading this, I was reminded of the title So Many Ways to Begin, though this is So Many Ways to End. Beautiful story, beautifully rendered, and with a perfect ending. I'd love to quote the ending, but it should be experienced in its own time and setting.
Jeffrey May
I am absolutely sure that loads of readers will love this graphic novel and that it deserves better than what I could say about it. The weaving of well-worn story lines into one whole is done “artfully” with some good moments, text and art matching nicely, and with some clever presentation. However, I found the writing itself laden with superficial self-importance that can only come when a writer writes about being a troubled writer, sort of Latino Indie Film existential bombast (if that’s possi ...more
Chloe
Apr 07, 2012 Chloe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chloe by: Caitlin
I never picked up this book and bought it because of the cover art and the description; for some reason, it seemed like it wouldn't interest me. However, a good friend gave it to me to read, and has consistently recommended good books to me, so I gave it a chance, and I am so glad that I did. The art was incredibly gorgeous, and the story was touching--honestly, this is the first graphic novel that ever made me tear up. It's rare for me these days to find a book that I wish hadn't ended when I f ...more
Martin Yankov
A lot of people seem to be REALLY inspired by this graphic novel. Maybe because it tells a kind of story that graphic novels usually don't - a story about everyday life and the special moments like the first kiss or meeting your soul mate for the first time, or loosing your parent... That formula really hasn't been used in many graphic novels, true. But have been used time and time again in movies and books and more movies and more books and more movies and more books...
I don't know, maybe I ju
Melki
This book is absolutely, breathtakingly gorgeous! Seriously. I'm talking watercolor sunsets out the wazoo! Woowee! For all the lush scenery, we have to thank, not either of the authors, but "colorist" Dave Stewart. If only, if only the concept and storyline were as well done as the pink and yellow clouds drifting lazily over the ocean.

The main character dies. A lot. Once as a kid. Once as an old man. And many, many times in between.

I get it. Life is beautiful. Death is sad. But starting each sto
Stacey
Elegant, both in words and drawing. This story examines the value of a life, told through time bending the date of death of a newspaper obituary writer. Emotional on many levels, the piece that strikes me the hardest is how obituaries are for the living, as if we put a stationery seal on the envelope at the end of a loved one's life.

Last summer, someone I once loved very much died. Here is his obituary:

"*** was born on April 5, 1970 and passed away on Saturday, July 2, 2011.
*** was a resident o
Licha
Wow! I’m not sure how to put into words what I just finished reading. I’m not even quite sure why I’m feeling like this but I really want to crawl into some little space and just bawl like a baby.

I will not even attempt to describe this book. I enjoyed reading each chapter, some hitting me like a giant wave, others feeling a bit forced, and others just good in their flow of the story. And I wasn’t sure where this all was flowing to, so I was very ready to give this a 3.5 star rating. But that e
Nefariousbig
Daytripper moved me so much, I was not moved at all, I was reminded. I was reminded how magical the smell of a hand-rolled cohiba, the bitter taste of cachaca, and a dimly lit bar makes my brain feel so loose and heavenly inside my head. A poignant story, with illustrations so fluid and seamless they fill the tiny spaces between thoughts to make the whole experience just, BEAUTIFUL.

I was left with the feeling of hanging on, ever so carefully, balanced safely, precisely, but defiantly on the edg
Jessica-Robyn
Daytripper isn't the type of story that I can describe to you with any justice. The same can be said about my experience with this book, I wouldn't be doing it justice. Too personal, too inside my own head, to make any proper sense to an outside observer such as yourself.

All you really need to know is that I needed this today. I needed to read this and see my life mirrored in someone else's like it was real, I needed to smile, and more importantly I needed to cry.

Because some days that's all a
Vitor Martins
a arte não é uma das mais bonitas do mundo mas essa história...... gente. que coisa mais linda. um quadrinho que me fez refletir, me emocionou muito e me guiou por uma trama através de uma perspectiva totalmente diferente!

adorei!
First Second Books
I finally read DAYTRIPPER and liked it A LOT, of course.
Tyler Hill
I'm not sure if this book counts as true magical realism in the vein of Gabriel García Marquez, but it's South American locale and unconventional narrative structure (I almost said "gimmick" but I think that unfairly cheapens an effective device) definitely give it that same flavor. Moon and Ba work together to tell the story of one man, and his family, through a series of single day vignettes. Each chapter has a slice of life feel, but together paint a complex and believable portrait of the pro ...more
Anish

Daytripper is quite possibly the greatest graphic novel I have read. It's profound, overwhelming. It's one of the deepest emotional experiences I have ever had while reading. It's about the journey of life. It's about childhood. The first kiss. Family bonds. About growing up. Friendships. Love and heartbreaks. Parenthood. Most importantly, it's about death. And accepting death.

A deeply satisfying story, that will surely make you tear up. The artwork is stunning, gorgeous. The writing is melancho
J.
Every time I try to read one of the big existentialists (think French, not Kierkegaard), there's this certain feeling I can tell they're trying to get me to feel. I forget which one used the word "nausea" to describe his hyper-awareness of life, but this book is exactly the opposite. It gave me a hyper-awareness of life and death, in all its messiness, ambiguity, subtlety, fear,....but it left me feeling supremely joyful. It was like looking at the sun--It's so beautiful, even though it hurts to ...more
Bruce
"I gotta tell you… I really liked today's obits. They're different, somehow. Deeper. You're really pouring your heart into them."

"It's all crap. I'm a fraud." (p. 145)

"… nothing in my life is extraordinary. Nothing in my life really matters."( p. 149)

There in the words of its characters lies my critique of this well-intentioned graphic novel.

This is a book of lofty ambition; the authors intending to point up the fragile beauty evoked through milestone, quotidian days in the life of an obituary
Subroto
Undoubtedly the best Graphic Novel I read this year.

A narrative stitched out of 10 short stories about a man - each separate and complete on its own (the man in question Bras dies at the end of each story) - and yet joined cos all the stories are about Bras and his world (his people, his family, his work, his duties, his search for an identity -- his life). In each story he's is a different stage of life with everything else from the earlier stories relevant except his death - which in each boo
Edward Rathke
This is one of the most beautiful novels I've read. Highly imaginative and endlessly captivating. By highlighting the constant threat and potentiality of Death, it's life that breathes on every page.

It's like that Virginia Woolf quote, I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.

That's what Daytripper is. It's a dream. A song of life. A prayer to Death.

It's beautiful and it will haunt me.
Raina
Jul 30, 2011 Raina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Raina by: Brian
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH.

Each chapter follows part of the life of a reporter who writes obituaries for a paper in Brazil. At the end of each chapter, the writer dies, in a different way. The chapter titles are numbers, for the age the writer is when he dies this time. There is poetry to this. It makes me think of the many mindtrip movies that I love so much, but somehow, for me, having the story on a printed page gave more weight and, yeah, poetry to the tale. We get to know lovers, his best friend,
David Mcangus
There's certainly things to like in these ten issues. The art is consistently detailed and expressive with great colour work that often produces beautiful scenes. The characters (when given a chance) produce some genuine human moments that certainly resonate. But due to the way the comic is structured, it's difficult to ever get close to any of them.

The story is ambitious, but again, due in part to the narrative device employed and also some trite philosophy, which seems to equate to:
"Hey, eve
Sam Quixote
This is the life of Bras de Oliva Domingos, told in chapters which single out a memorable year in his life, jumping from his life at age 32 to his life age 11 to his life age 76. And at the end of each chapter, Bras dies (it's a nuance that sounds strange here but makes sense in the book).

Bras is an obituary writer aching to become a respected novelist like his father, a world famous writer, who casts a long shadow across his son. Meanwhile we see Bras' life filled with characters like an ex-gir
Matti Karjalainen
- En tykkää kuolemasta.
- Ei kai kukaan. Mutta silti on niin, että kaikki kuolevat. Elämä on kuin kirja. Ja kirjathan loppuvat. Vaikka tarina olisi kuinka hyvä, viimeinen sivu tulee vastaan ja se päättyy. Kirja ei ole täydellinen ilman loppua. Sillä vasta kun sen viimeiset sanat saavuttaa tietää, miten hyvä se oli. Eikö vain?

Brasilialaisten Fábio Moonin ja Gabriel Bán "Daytripper" (Egmont, 2012) on sarjakuvaromaani ihmiselämästä: syntymästä, rakkaudesta, eroista, ystävyydestä, menettämisestä ja e
Jamie
Daytripper is a mysterious little book. I read the first three issues when they came out, and though I was absolutely intrigued by what was happening in the story, the way each installment came and ended without explanation made me not want to have to work through the serialization. Rather, I wanted to get it all at once. It’s a book where the payoff is going to require some faith, and where the individual moments matter to the cumulative whole. I didn’t want them lost in the gaps between.

This c
David Schaafsma
Brazilian twin brothers Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba created this beautiful meditation on life and death and love and art and fathers and sons and friendship.... There's some magical realism in it, just enough, and is gorgeously and romantically conceived and executed... Fundamentally allegorical, philosophical, and yet hard to put down. Not primarily chronological.... more of a meditation on meaning than a focus on plot. Lovely, powerful and (for me, at least), often pretty moving.

On second read,
Sesana
It's hard for me to write a review about a book like Daytripper. It's too well-written. The art is too beautiful. The characters are too real. The story is too moving and life affirming. I can't write about Daytripper. It's too wonderful, too close to perfect. All I can say is how grateful I am that I had the chance to read it.
She-Geeks: This topic has been closed to new comments. Daytripper by Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba 1 21 Sep 12, 2012 07:23PM
  • Local
  • Dead Man's Knock (The Unwritten #3)
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 3: Animal Armies
  • Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • Unterzakhn
  • Stumptown, Vol. 1
Fábio Moon is a Brazilian comic book artist.
More about Fábio Moon...
De:Tales : Stories from Urban Brazil Mesa Para Dois Dois Irmãos Ursula 10 Pãezinhos: Crítica

“It doesn't matter where you're from - or how you feel... There's always peace in a strong cup of coffee.” 97 likes
“Only when you accept that one day you'll die can you let go, and make the best out of life. And that's the big secret. That's the miracle.” 76 likes