Start by marking “Daytripper” as Want to Read:
Daytripper

Daytripper

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  16,667 Ratings  ·  1,526 Reviews
What are the most important days of your life?

Meet Brás de Oliva Domingos. The miracle child of a world-famous Brazilian writer, Brás spends his days penning other people's obituaries and his nights dreaming of becoming a successful author himself—writing the end of other people's stories, while his own has barely begun.

But on the day that life begins, would he even notice
Published February 8th 2011 by Vertigo (DC Comics)

To ask other readers questions about Daytripper, please sign up.

Alessandra Santamaria maybe that you wont be obssesed about death any more, and you'll just enjoy life?

Patrick

Damn. This is probably the most profound story I've read in at least a couple of years. Comic or otherwise.

Keep in mind that this is a story about stories. About beginnings and endings. These things are close to my heart.
Seth T.
Dec 05, 2013 Seth T. rated it it was amazing
Let's get this out of the way up front: Daytripper may be the best graphic novel I've ever had the pleasure to read. Consider yourselves warned.

Perhaps Daytripper's biggest success is that it saves itself from being cliche. All the things that people want to say about it (e.g. "The book is life-affirming" or "The book shows that death is just another part of life") are exactly the kinds of things that could be said about that new movie that you don't want to see, the one that is bound to be an o
Jeff
Aug 12, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comix
Life turns on little moments. Moments that you dwell on and play over and over again in your mind in the infinite ways that they could have resolved themselves.

What do you do next? Do you go talk to the girl? Do you walk out of the shop? Could this be one of those pivotal moments?

Twin brothers, Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba, have crafted a wonderful graphic novel that centers on the life of one man, Bras de Olivias Dominguez. Each issue contains a key segment in Bras’ life and each one ends in his d
Irmak
Jul 12, 2016 Irmak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muazzam diyecek boyutta sevmediysem de çok sevdim.
Konu olarak çok farklı bir çizgi romandı. Devam ederken hep bir yerlerde son bulan bir hayatın hikayesiydi. Yaşamın ve ölümün hikayesi. Bras'ın hikayesi. Her bölümde sizi yansıtacak, size bir şeylerin ( dostluk, aşk, aile, yaşam, ölüm ) anlamını öğretecek alıntılar vardı. Çok severek okudum gerçekten. Süper kahramanlar dışında bir şeyler arıyorsanız bu çizgi romanı okumalısınız. Gerçek dünyanın hayal gücü ile bir araya gelmiş güzel bir harmanlam
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

She was a day tripper, a one way ticket yeah

Chicago commercial photographers

If I finally get off my duff and write this review will I stop singing this song???? Please????????????

Some may say Daytripper was “a story about death.” But in actuality, it was “really about life . . . but death has a big part in it.”

It was about searching for “the moment that won’t fade. The moment we all search for.”

It was about realizing that “in order to go after your dreams –
Keith
Jul 25, 2012 Keith rated it liked it
Not to be mean (or hell, you know, yeah, kind of pretty much to be mean), but I'm not really sure that all these people falling all over themselves over Daytripper have really read enough comics, or enough books, or have lived enough, or have gone outside enough in general.

Wait! Come back! I'm sorry. I didn't mean it.

I mean, I know you've read enough stuff. I know you're a totally great human being. Really, I do; everyone says so.

And it's totally absolutely fine if you like this comic. Or if yo
Mariel
Dec 05, 2013 Mariel rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the obit writer wanna be author in death and the penguin wasn't even this douchey
Recommended to Mariel by: I was foolishly intrigued that the authors were identical twins like me
Brás de Oliva Domingos' life began 28 years ago and it ended on a Friday morning as he was hit by a truck on his way for his morning coffee. He was always there when his friends needed him, was close to his family, and he, like everyone else, was trying to find his way in the desert, looking for that oasis we like to call... "love."

Someone stop Brás de Oliva Domingos. He's the obituary writer and he is writing about only himself on a fierce ego trip.

I would rather that was the story. It might
Nick
Feb 14, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who's looking for a story about embracing life.
Disclaimer: Even if you don’t read graphic novels, pause to read this.

Here’s the deal. I spoilered quotations (once again) just in case people don’t want me to steal the joy of reading them for the first time on the actual pages they originate from.

I want you to read this book and in order to convince you, I want you to read the quotations (obviously, that’s why they’re included.) So I advise you randomly select two, read just those, and let the rest swoop in from the beautiful pages of this g
Murat G.
Son zamanlarda okuduğum en güzel şey!

Gelecekteki kızıma -bana ihtiyacı olmadığı gün, yep- hediye ederim ben bunu..
Melki
Jul 07, 2012 Melki rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, death
This book is absolutely, breathtakingly gorgeous! Seriously. I'm talking watercolor sunsets out the wazoo! Woowee! For all the lush scenery, we have to thank, not either of the authors, but "colorist" Dave Stewart. If only, if only the concept and storyline were as well done as the pink and yellow clouds drifting lazily over the ocean.

The main character dies. A lot. Once as a kid. Once as an old man. And many, many times in between.

I get it. Life is beautiful. Death is sad. But starting each sto
Teresa
Nov 29, 2014 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teresa by: rhea
While reading this, I was reminded of the title So Many Ways to Begin, though this is So Many Ways to End. Beautiful story, beautifully rendered, and with a perfect ending. I'd love to quote the ending, but it should be experienced in its own time and setting.
Cheese
Oct 28, 2015 Cheese rated it really liked it
I was going to give this a 3 Star to being with...

...mainly because it just didn't make any sense and the puzzle wasn't coming together for me. Alas once again my impatience was over come by an emotional ending similar to the film 'Big Fish' by Tim burton. It's a beautiful ending and it put the story into perspective and it also put my own thoughts into perspective.

It's not a long story by any means. It's full of lots of long stories about a man named bras. Different events through out his life
Jesse A
A sad, well-written book. A little deeper than you might expect from a GN but well done.
Donna
Apr 02, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
"My name is Brás de Oliva Domingos, and I'm a dreamer...What my dreams really show me is what my life can be once I open my eyes...My dreams tell me who I am."

Image from http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/photo....

This Eisner award winning graphic novel was my latest vehicle used to explore this genre, and it took me on quite a trip. At first, I wasn't sure what was happening in the story or where it would lead, which was nothing new for me. I'm often clueless at the start of a book and can only ho
Jeffrey May
Sep 30, 2012 Jeffrey May rated it liked it
I am absolutely sure that loads of readers will love this graphic novel and that it deserves better than what I could say about it. The weaving of well-worn story lines into one whole is done “artfully” with some good moments, text and art matching nicely, and with some clever presentation. However, I found the writing itself laden with superficial self-importance that can only come when a writer writes about being a troubled writer, sort of Latino Indie Film existential bombast (if that’s ...more
Licha
May 12, 2015 Licha rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wow! I’m not sure how to put into words what I just finished reading. I’m not even quite sure why I’m feeling like this but I really want to crawl into some little space and just bawl like a baby.

I will not even attempt to describe this book. I enjoyed reading each chapter, some hitting me like a giant wave, others feeling a bit forced, and others just good in their flow of the story. And I wasn’t sure where this all was flowing to, so I was very ready to give this a 3.5 star rating. But that e
Chloe
Apr 07, 2012 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chloe by: Caitlin
I never picked up this book and bought it because of the cover art and the description; for some reason, it seemed like it wouldn't interest me. However, a good friend gave it to me to read, and has consistently recommended good books to me, so I gave it a chance, and I am so glad that I did. The art was incredibly gorgeous, and the story was touching--honestly, this is the first graphic novel that ever made me tear up. It's rare for me these days to find a book that I wish hadn't ended when I ...more
Martin Yankov
Jun 10, 2011 Martin Yankov rated it it was ok
A lot of people seem to be REALLY inspired by this graphic novel. Maybe because it tells a kind of story that graphic novels usually don't - a story about everyday life and the special moments like the first kiss or meeting your soul mate for the first time, or loosing your parent... That formula really hasn't been used in many graphic novels, true. But have been used time and time again in movies and books and more movies and more books and more movies and more books...
I don't know, maybe I ju
Stacey
Elegant, both in words and drawing. This story examines the value of a life, told through time bending the date of death of a newspaper obituary writer. Emotional on many levels, the piece that strikes me the hardest is how obituaries are for the living, as if we put a stationery seal on the envelope at the end of a loved one's life.

Last summer, someone I once loved very much died. Here is his obituary:

"*** was born on April 5, 1970 and passed away on Saturday, July 2, 2011.
*** was a resident o
Sam Quixote
Jan 27, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
This is the life of Bras de Oliva Domingos, told in chapters which single out a memorable year in his life, jumping from his life at age 32 to his life age 11 to his life age 76. And at the end of each chapter, Bras dies (it's a nuance that sounds strange here but makes sense in the book).

Bras is an obituary writer aching to become a respected novelist like his father, a world famous writer, who casts a long shadow across his son. Meanwhile we see Bras' life filled with characters like an ex-gir
Carmen
Sep 21, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it
Brilliant, deep, beautiful, poetic, surprisingly touching ...
Bras de Olivia Domingos is the only son of a famous Brazilian author, and a miracle child to his mother. He wants to be an inspiring author himself but at the moment he works newspaper as an obituary writer. We witness Bras' life, a day at a time, any given day, each chapter focusing on a different age, going back and forth from middle age to elderly and every single chapter ends with his death. They show the different possibilities of
Nefariousbig
Oct 05, 2012 Nefariousbig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Daytripper moved me so much, I was not moved at all, I was reminded. I was reminded how magical the smell of a hand-rolled cohiba, the bitter taste of cachaca, and a dimly lit bar makes my brain feel so loose and heavenly inside my head. A poignant story, with illustrations so fluid and seamless they fill the tiny spaces between thoughts to make the whole experience just, BEAUTIFUL.

I was left with the feeling of hanging on, ever so carefully, balanced safely, precisely, but defiantly on the edg
Dimitris
Sep 19, 2015 Dimitris rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!Magnificent doesn't even begin to describe this book!Daytripper is a terrific comic book about all the little things that make life beautiful but also about the acceptance of death.BRAVO Fabio Moon!Η γραφική νουβέλα απλά τα σπάει!
description
sweet jane
Jun 04, 2016 sweet jane rated it it was amazing
"My name is Brás de Olivia Domingos. This is the story of my life. Take a deep breath, open your eyes and close the book."

Ο Bras de Oliva Domingos είναι συγγραφέας στην επικήδεια στήλη μιας εφημερίδας, γεννήθηκε μια νύχτα που ολόκληρη η πόλη βρισκόταν υπό συσκότιση και έφερε μαζί του το φως. Όνειρο του είναι να γίνει μεγάλος συγγραφέας σαν τον πατέρα του. Είναι ένα μικρό θαύμα, όπως λέει η μητέρα του. Ένα τυχαίο γεγονός όμως θα ανατρέψει και τα δικά του όνειρα και των άλλων. Ο Bras θα πεθάνει άδ
Jessica-Robyn
Daytripper isn't the type of story that I can describe to you with any justice. The same can be said about my experience with this book, I wouldn't be doing it justice. Too personal, too inside my own head, to make any proper sense to an outside observer such as yourself.

All you really need to know is that I needed this today. I needed to read this and see my life mirrored in someone else's like it was real, I needed to smile, and more importantly I needed to cry.

Because some days that's all a
Sesana
Apr 23, 2012 Sesana rated it it was amazing
It's hard for me to write a review about a book like Daytripper. It's too well-written. The art is too beautiful. The characters are too real. The story is too moving and life affirming. I can't write about Daytripper. It's too wonderful, too close to perfect. All I can say is how grateful I am that I had the chance to read it.
مصطفي سليمان
Nov 11, 2015 مصطفي سليمان rated it it was amazing
"لماذا لايأتي الموت عندما يتمناه الانسان؟؟"
بهاء طاهر -نقطة النور

من أقترب من الموت أو رقص معه ولو لمرة واحدة سيعرف عن ماذا يتكلم الرجل البرازيلي المسمي فابيو
من أقترب من الحافة ..من توقف ومد قدميه ولم يكن يفصله عن اي شئ سوي خطوة صغيرة سيعلم ما شعر جبريال بطل تلك الرواية البديعة

الرواية المصورة التي تظهر وكانها تتكلم فقط عن الموت تقرر أن تسجل أمامك كل كوابيسك و أحلامك وتسئل سؤال بسيط للغاية

أنت هنا ليه؟

دعك من الاجابات التي غرست في عقلك واصبحت مثل المسئولين الحكومين يجيبون دون حتي سؤال بنفس الاجاب
Tyler Hill
Jul 15, 2014 Tyler Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I'm not sure if this book counts as true magical realism in the vein of Gabriel García Marquez, but it's South American locale and unconventional narrative structure (I almost said "gimmick" but I think that unfairly cheapens an effective device) definitely give it that same flavor. Moon and Ba work together to tell the story of one man, and his family, through a series of single day vignettes. Each chapter has a slice of life feel, but together paint a complex and believable portrait of the ...more
Josh
Dec 02, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
This one worked for me; I devoured it in one sitting. As the main character notes, it's a story about dying, but then it is in turn, a story about living. It's about what a life looks like if it had ended at various moments. It's about using the moments we have now to their fullest potential so that our death is just another chapter in our story. The art is beautiful and the main character is likeable. This one should be experienced by everyone.
Vitor Martins
a arte não é uma das mais bonitas do mundo mas essa história...... gente. que coisa mais linda. um quadrinho que me fez refletir, me emocionou muito e me guiou por uma trama através de uma perspectiva totalmente diferente!

adorei!
  • Joe the Barbarian
  • Three Shadows
  • Blacksad
  • Big Questions
Fábio Moon is a Brazilian comic book artist.
More about Fábio Moon...

“It doesn't matter where you're from - or how you feel... There's always peace in a strong cup of coffee.” 133 likes
“Only when you accept that one day you'll die can you let go, and make the best out of life. And that's the big secret. That's the miracle.” 97 likes