Start by marking “One for the Road: An Illustrated Story” as Want to Read:
One for the Road: An Illustrated Story

One for the Road: An Illustrated Story

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This much-loved tale is narrated by Booth, and elderly resident of a small Maine town that neighbors the infamous Jerusalem's Lot, and it takes place a couple of years after the events in King's novel. Booth describes a winter's night years ago, when he and his friend, a bar owner named Herb Tooklander (Tookey), receive a visit from a distressed motorist named Gerard Lumle ...more
Hardcover, Unsigned, 38 pages
Published March 2010 by PS Publishing Ltd (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about One for the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One for the Road

Stephen Alff
I've only recently started reading stories and books by Stephen King but I can say with certainty that this book has that distinctive icy touch that chills you but also puts you into a reading trance that makes it impossible to put down the book.

I liked the story, but didn't love it(can you really ever love a horror story?). I did find some parts a little cringe worthy..(well sort of, it's not too bad)(view spoiler)
Graham Downs
I listened to the audiobook at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1b3Y...

One for the Road is somewhat of a sequel to 'Salem's Lot. I don't think you'll miss much if you read this one without having read Salem's Lot, but don't read this one if you intend to read its predecessor, or it'll be spoilt for you.

A man shows up at a bar one day, in a town a short distance from Jerusalem's Lot, saying that his car ran out of fuel in the Lot, and he left his wife and daughter there while he came to look for
Jason
Nov 06, 2014 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror Short Story, fans of Salem's Lot
Recommended to Jason by: Night Shift by Stephen King
To be clear, I did not read this illustrated version. In fact, my copy of Night Shift had no illustrations at all in it. I'm using this one since goodreads doesn't currently have an entry for the regular story.

Hurray! Another stop at Salem's Lot. The first story in Night Shift gave us events a 175 to 250 years before the events of 'Salem's Lot. This penultimate story gives us an event that occurs a couple years after (view spoiler). Apparently ther
Cynthia
I wanted more! After completing Salem's Lot I wanted to know more. Although this did fill me in a little ...I guess I expected to get a lot of information and followup. Stephen King could definitely have done a second whole book instead of just this short story.
Geoff
I've read this story a couple times as it's from King's first story collection Night Shift as well as in the ‘Salem's Lot Illustrated Edition reissue in 2005, and it is a good short story that revisits Jerusalem's Lot and the vampires from the story ‘Salem's Lot. I like having short stories set in the same universe as the novel, as you get more of what you like. Anyway this is a way overpriced but beautiful and fun edition of the story as it's fully illustrated by James Hannah. Every page is one ...more
Dione Basseri
An interesting, thought not phenomenal, return to 'Salem's Lot. Set several years after the end of the book, this tells the story of the neighboring town, and of a young father from Jersey who follows his map through the Lot. After his car breaks down, the father leaves his daughter and wife in the car's dwindling warmth to find help in the neighboring town. In spite of the history of the Lot, a few townspeople agree to go and help, but arrive far, far too late.

A good second read for fans of the
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Short, but scary.

Stephen King is still my master of horror no matter what. May it be short or long, he never fails to make me jump out of my skin. This story is thrilling, mysterious and more awesome if you close the lights and just listen to the audio.

GREAT READ. GGGRRREEEAAATT READ.
Salemslot
Part of "Night Shift", "One for the Road" takes you back to Jerusalem's Lot and its nocturnal horrors. This short story reminds you of early Stephen King. Claustrophobic, you can feel the impending doom that lurks into the snowstorm. One of Stephen King's best short stories to date.
Lyndi Hardman
I didn't read Salem's Lot first instead I read Jerusalem's Lot so I was slightly confused when King kept bouncing between the two names. once I figured out what was going on I really enjoyed this one. Sad and creepy all at the same time!
C.S.  Ferrier
King really isn't my cup of tea I think. I don't know, Vampires? I'm not really into that. It's suppose to be scary and it's really not. I'll have to try some more King but I didn't really like this one at all.
ClubStephenKing
A copy of the limited edition is available in the giant Stephen King contest for the 20 years of the Club Stephen King : more than 100 gifts to win ! >>> http://clubstephenking.com/
Ashley James
another top short story by stephen king from the night shift collection
Gsmattingly
Very enjoyable short horror story with very nice illustrations.
Saec
Saec marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Carla Carleton
Carla Carleton marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Andrew Greatbatch
Andrew Greatbatch marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rachel Edwards
Rachel Edwards marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Daniel Melchin
Daniel Melchin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
john milligan
john milligan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Anorhi Demarche
Anorhi Demarche marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Becky Beesley
Becky Beesley marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie