Start by marking “American Photobooth” as Want to Read:
American Photobooth

American Photobooth

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  10 reviews
“That a perceptive, dedicated, and sensitive artist like Näkki Goranin has rescued from oblivion so many amazing self-portraits created by amateurs confronting themselves in the fleeting privacy of humble photobooths is yet another miracle for which we can be grateful.”—from the foreword by David Haberstich

Generally relegated to the realm of kitsch, the history and cultura
Published February 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about American Photobooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Photobooth

David Bales
A book that traces the beginnings of the automatic, coin-operated photobooth, which started in the early days of the twentieth century and became a national mania by the 1920s. The "photomaton" was a popular machine used by millions to print out cheap, high-quality photographs on vacations or visits to amusement parks. Edward Hanna of Utica started his own company in the early 1950s and cleaned up.
Marginalia2
Not only is the history fascinating and illuminating, but the photos are so intriguing Nakki tells of the long lines at the 42nd Street booth and the soldiers and sailors who took their photos before leaving for the front (WWII). It makes me wonder about those photos—who came back, how did they come back?
Bee
I've been lamenting to friends for years now about how sad I am that photobooths are a lost art. I've always loved them and I still drag whomever I'm with into them on the rare occasions I find one. This was a lovely book to skim through.

My favorite photo is on page 93.
Patricia
Mar 06, 2009 Patricia added it
Shelves: didn-t-read
I started to read the essay about the evolution of the photobooth and got distracted and didn't finish it. But most people will get this book for the photobooth pictures, which were striking.
Joel Wiebner
This book is more than just a collection of great photobooth images. The author took the history of this phenomenon and wove it into a story with a wonderful list of characters.
Holly
Photobooths! are one of my favorite subjects...but I wasn't so keen on the the layout. pretty average approach. nice historical references.
Liza
Nakki Goranin had a show of American Photobooth at my gallery, Pine Street Art Works. This is a fascinating and beautiful book
monica
I am reading this book, I have read this book and I will keep reading and admiring the stories it tells.
If you got a bit weepy at the end of Love Actually, this book is for you.
Marissa
A great collection of vintage shots from photobooths.
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Amy Salitsky
Amy Salitsky marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Nandim
Nandim marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Midori Tsunekawa
Midori Tsunekawa marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
B
B marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Jaclyn Norkus
Jaclyn Norkus marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • The Oxford Project
  • Portraits
  • The Exquisite Book: 100 Artists Play a Collaborative Game
  • Vivian Maier: Street Photographer
  • A History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present; The George Eastman House Collection
  • Twilight: Photographs by Gregory Crewdson