Start by marking “Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet #1)” as Want to Read:
Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet #1)

Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  23,803 Ratings  ·  1,525 Reviews
Marcus Holroyd is the best friend of Honoria Smythe-Smith's brother, Daniel, who lives in exile out of the country. Marcus has promised to watch out for Honoria and takes his responsibility very seriously. But he has his work cut out for him when Honoria sets off for Cambridge determined to marry by the end of the season.
Paperback, UK Edition, 374 pages
Published June 2011 by Piatkus (first published 2011)

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
5th out of 393 books — 829 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
Can't Wait Books For 2011
95th out of 1,221 books — 6,922 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Warning: May cause fits of giggles resulting in inquisitive stares if in public, an irrepressible smile to stay on your face, and cavities from too much sweetness.

This is such a cute, fun, charming, witty, feel-good read, and it was the perfect cure for my stressful, crummy week. It made me erupt with laughter several times, smile broadly throughout, and sigh in sheer delight at the romantic, sweet ending.

The Bridgertons hold a special place among my histor
Juliana Philippa
A simple and light romance, which is sometimes just what you need

When I first started reading romances, Julia Quinn was one of my favorite authors and I fell absolutely in love with her Bridgerton series, as I know many other romance readers did as well. The past few years, her books have been uneven for me, so I was a little nervous about picking this one up. The Smythe-Smiths were famous (or infamous is probably more accurate) but would it be what you expect from a Quinn book - a fun and light
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This book made me Photobucket and Photobucket, sometimes Photobucket, sometimes Photobucket, most of the time Photobucket and overall Photobucket

The story - Honoria and Marcus have known each other since they were children. They were friends, well, as much as one can be a friend to your brothers BFF. Daniel (the brother) got himself into trouble, and he made Marcus promise to keep an eye on Honoria (in translation: scare off any suitor imaginable, and then some XD).
Honoria is on the other hand quite desperate to find a husband, so she and her cousins plan a p
Lisa Kay
This book is a delight! Ms. Quinn has managed to take an amusing inside joke from her Bridgertons series, change it into a charming anecdote, then transform it into an enchanting love story, plus make it the start of a developing series. Wow!
After eighteen years, no one attended a Smythe-Smith musical without some inkling of the horrors that lay ahead.
Sure, it is a light, fast, fun read. However, the illness Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris, contracts is no laughing matter. Honoria Smythe-Smit
Ingela
Review written April 13, 2016

4.2 Stars - Solid good traditional nice historical

Just Like Heaven is the first in a newer HR series by Julia Quinn, a very popular author I have no earliest experience of. (It will be more by her.) — Let's see, this sounded perfect and so it was. Funny, sweet, innocent (you must patiently wait for the kiss) and just as well done as a perfect Regency romance should be.

This is a funny lighthearted funny tale about a (..the world's worst) annual musical performance, y
Rane

This was the perfect pick-me-upper- beach read. It had all of JQ's humor and trademarks (with a few cameo appearances from characters some of her older books) The book was light and airy and while not as strong as her other books, it did give a great insight into the infamous Smythe-Smith family and their tone-deaf love for music.

The book didn't feel very much like a full length novel as much of the action and story was taken with the heroine nursing back to health the hero and the hero and h
Robin (Bridge Four)
Historical Romances are my book candy and I love them for no sane reason. I can’t even begin to explain why if you put a woman in a corset and make her banter in an uptight and rigid social setting it becomes funnier than in a contemporary romance. Really I should hate books set in a time where a woman’s main goal is to be attractive, virtuous and marry well, but I don’t…I love them. I usually read them in one sitting and love every indulgent filled moment of it.

Just like heaven was my very fir
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I love Rosalyn Landor, and she did her best, but this book was endlessly, incredibly boring. So boring that I DNFed the audiobook at 65% or so, which is over 6 hours of listening.

This was my second book by Julia Quinn, and I think I need to hard backtrack and go right to the Bridgertons series because everyone RAVES about those books. I'm hoping that those books are better, not only because I already bought three of them, but because I'll be so disappointed if Julia Quinn isn't for me.

This book
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
I have a bit of a soft spot for historical romance since I began reading the genre last year, but I'd never read one of the most loved authors within this genre. I have heard from many sources that Quinn is a wonderful writer and now having read a novel I couldn't agree more.

"Just Like Heaven" is brilliantly written and just so witty. It's sparkly, lively and funny. The writing is smooth and the dialogue realistic, so much so I didn't realise how many pages I had read before I realised I had nea
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Come see my review @ Under the Covers

Having read everything that Julia Quinn has written I was very much looking forward to starting a series about the famous (or is it infamous?) Smythe-Smith. If you have read any of her books you would have heard about the Smythe-Smith Musicale the most anticipated and by that I mean dreaded social event in the ton calander. Honoria Smith-Smythe plays the violin, terribly ofcourse in true Smythe-Smith tradition, in the quartet and she hopes that this will be h
Autumn
Bah! .. whatever happened to JQ??? She is known to write on the lit end of historical genre, but sincerely, the story left me ... hmm. empty. lacking.

I liked he fact that Marcus and Honoria have known each other through childhood. their bantering,and how comfortable they were around each other was the number one factor i kept reading the book.The story however,was just FLAT (to me).

the redundant, self-doubting train of thought from the characters drove me I-N-S-A-N-E. I supposed she tried to ma
Ronyell
“Yum! Who would have thought that sweet tarts and chocolates can make love so heavenly!”

chocolate

I have been reading so many historical romance novels that I must have read almost every one, mainly works from Lisa Kleypas, Teresa Medeiros and Jennifer Ashley. But, this is the first novel I have read from Julia Quinn and it is called “Just Like Heaven.” Actually, “Just Like Heaven” is Julia Quinn’s most recent book to date, so I had the pleasure of reading one of Julia Quinn’s books.

The story starts of
rivka
Jul 04, 2011 rivka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Bridgertons books
This is why I love Julia Quinn books: I laughed, I cried, and then I laughed so hard I cried.

As always, the dedication to her husband is worth the price of admission alone. I won't spoil that for you. ;)

On p. 57 (of this edition), was the first bit that made me laugh out loud:
And Honoria had a plan. It wasn't terribly complicated; she needed only a sunny day, a halfway acceptable sense of direction, and a shovel.

It was 11 pages later that we found out what she was up to. And 10 pages after th
Eastofoz
Jul 09, 2011 Eastofoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bridgerton series style fans
If you liked Quinn’s Bridgerton family series and you’re looking for a new comfort read series, then this oughta do it. “Just Like Heaven” had everything I love about Julia Quinn’s novels: fantastic dialog, the focus is on the h/h, lots of witty humor and well-drawn characters. Quinn is one of the few historical romance authors out there whose books actually sound like a historical and the tone remains consistent throughout the book.

The h/h (Marcus and Honoria) start off as friends of sorts from
[Aengell]
Feb 10, 2015 [Aengell] rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 sweet, sweet, sweet, lovely BR with Iliada stars

I wasn’t a big fan of “known each other a lifetime”, “friends to lovers” themes, but Julia Quinn hooked me up.
This story was so enticing, charming, cute and romantic, that I felt all giddy inside. It wasn’t dragging at all, and there were many many cousins, mothers and great-great-aunts on the side who created a big, chaotic mess of secondary characters who were just adorable .

The main characters, Honoria and Marcus, were too sweet to be true,
Carmen
Mar 02, 2016 Carmen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance fans
This is really a comedy much more than a romance. The book is hilarious. However, if you are reading it for kissing, and romance, and sex, you are barking up the wrong tree. This is a fluffy, sweet, very funny story in which two people happen to fall in love.

Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris, grew up with no mother and a distant father. Luckily he was sent away to school when he was 12, where he met his best friend Daniel.

Daniel has a lot of sisters, most notably one 5 years younger than Marcus,
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
Jan 04, 2015 Jennifer (FFT Reviews) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Julia Quinn's Historicals
4.5 Stars

This is the first of a quartet where Quinn explores the inner workings of the Smythe-Smith family and their infamous musicales. In this book, we meet Lady Honoria Smythe-Smith who plays violin in the musicale and Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris. Marcus is the best friend of Honoria's older brother Daniel who is living in exile in Italy for reasons that are explained in the first few chapters. Daniel and Marcus have been friends for years and Marcus has become a type of surrogate son f
Christine
Apr 08, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Julia Quinn
Shelves: adult, own-it
By sheer luck, I got an early copy of Just Like Heaven and immediately read it when I received it in the mail yesterday. And it was great!

In the Bridgertons series, I always got the impression that the Smythe-Smith girls were a little boring and not... bright. But it turns out, they're just the opposite! I had so much fun learning about Honoria Smythe-Smith and her family and the very, very large number of cousins. Geez, this family is big.

Honoria and Marcus together are adorable and I love thei
Steffi
This book was just like heaven , indeed!

I have the feeling Julia Quinn can do no wrong. All of her books are amazing and Just Like Heaven is another in her line of success.

Just Like Heaven is the first book in the Smythe-Smith Quartet (hope I spelled that right) with Honoria Smythe-Smith and Marcus Holroyd as the heroine and hero. They've known each other since they were little kids, as Marcus is Honoria's brother's best friend. The scene when they were little and Honoria wants to go fishing
Ally72
I loved it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I think that expresses how I felt about this book. This is one of my favorite Julia Quinn books I have read (and there have been some "hits and misses" for me) and I cannot wait until the next book is released. I would recommend this new series to anyone who enjoyed the Bridgerton books (there are even a couple of Bridgerton family members that make an appearance in it...Yay)!!! Just Li ...more
Beanbag Love
Feb 05, 2012 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
A really fun, light-hearted story. There's a bit of angst, but it's not too strong. Julia Quinn doesn't really do angst.

But there are a lot of laughs and the chemistry between the two leads is excellent. I liked them both quite a bit and the developments seemed very organic. It's a trope I like -- two people who've known each other since childhood -- so that was a plus as well.

This book is set in the Bridgertons world and there's some overlap with "Romancing Mr. Bridgerton". So now, of course, I
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series is a great favourite of mine and those who have read the series will be familiar with the Smythe-Smith quartet. For those readers who are unfamiliar with the Bridgerton books, the quartet of three sisters and a cousin gives an annual musical performance which can only be described as a discordant cacophony of sounds! So I was delighted to discover that Ms Quinn's new series features the young ladies of this quartet. The first book, JUST LIKE HEAVEN, is a delightfu ...more
Caz
The perfect piece of audio-fluff for when - as I am - you're laid up in bed with a stinking cold and can't read a book because it makes your eyes ache!

It's classic JQ - light-hearted, with plenty of witty dialogue; and it contains one of my favourite tropes, the "friends-to-lovers" one.

Lady Honoria has known Marcus Holroyd since she was a child. He's her big brother's best friend, the only child of an only child who has been given the best of everything in life - except familial life and affecti
Sophie Barnes
Jun 09, 2012 Sophie Barnes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: julia-quinn
When Honoria Smythe-Smith's brother Daniel is forced to flee the country, he asks is best friend Marcus Holroyd (the Earl of Chatteris) to keep a watchful eye on his sister - to ensure that she doesn't marry a complete idiot =) No matter how much Marcus detests attending seasonal events, he takes his duty very seriously and follows Honoria wherever she goes, discreetly scaring off the occasional suitor. But when Honoria decides to set her cap for Gregory Bridgerton and plans to attract Gregory's ...more
Jenny E
05/11/2012 - Just re-read this one and loved it even more the second time! I am so excited to for the next book in the series to come out in a few weeks!

______________________________________________________________________

10/05/2011

This was an adorable book. I can't think of a better word than adorable to describe it. What a pleasant surprise it was too. This is the first Julia Quinn book I've read, and I will definitely continue with her books. What I loved most about it was the witty dialogu
Dina
Jan 01, 2013 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the Julia Quinn I love and have been missing for years. Nobody does light and fluffy like her - when her muse is around, that is. :)
Anna D.
Mar 16, 2015 Anna D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
It’s been a long time since I’ve read a Julia Quinn book and this was a good one! It brought me back to the world of the Bridgertons and a great many of my favorite HR characters live in this world! – so this alone brought a smile to my face while reading :)

I enjoy a good friends to lovers story – especially when their history goes back to their childhood, but this one wasn’t quite that because it was our H/h who were friends. Honoria was the pesky younger sister of Marcus' best friend since the
(Nat) Reading Romances
Jan 17, 2016 (Nat) Reading Romances rated it really liked it
Shelves: must-read, i-love
A Quinn Delight!
I always find myself laughing when I read a Julia Quinn novel, and I can’t seem to control it! Although the author could’ve done a better job, I had a great time reading Just Like Heaven!
We are delighted to meet again some of our favorite characters from the Bridgerton series. I won’t spoil it for you, but Lady Danbury is always such a joy to see! She has one of her best scenes ever in this book, quite hilarious!
The main couple was excellent together, I loved how relaxed they fel
Dija
The beginning was extremely slow, and I simply couldn't get into this book. It lacks the humor and warmth that Quinn is famous for, and I found Just Like Heaven to be a huge disappointment until the last 100 pages or so.

All the other books by JQ always have lots of family scenes and sibling bickering, but they were mostly missing from this book. There were only a handful of scenes with the Smythe-Smith family, and next to none with Honoria's siblings.

All the descriptions about the dreadful eve
♡Karlyn P♡
This was a cute story. While it is a stand alone, the relationships of other characters are closely related to the Bridgerton's series. If you haven't read that series, you may want to start there. This book wasn't what I was expecting/hoping, but it was enjoyable.
Por más libros para Latinoamérica! 1 1 Jul 20, 2015 05:42PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Books 1-3 of Julia Quinn's Smythe-Smith Quartet 1 2 Nov 27, 2013 03:00PM
The Ultimate ABC ...: Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn 1 16 Mar 14, 2012 06:06AM
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Unlocked (Turner, #1.5)
  • Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall #4)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn...

Smythe-Smith Quartet (4 books)
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)
  • The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)
  • The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4)

“He’d spent his life being a perfect gentleman. He’d never been a flirt. He’d never been a rogue. He hated being the center of attention, but by God, he wanted to be the center of her attention. He wanted to do the wrong thing, the bad thing. He wanted to pull her into his arms and carry her to her bed. He wanted to peel every last inch of her clothing from her body, and then he wanted to worship her. He wanted to show her all the things he wasn’t sure he knew how to say.” 50 likes
“No. Haven’t you been listening?”

Marcus would always remember that moment. It was to be the first time he would ever be faced with that most vexing of female quirks: the question that had nothing but wrong answers.”
49 likes