Start by marking “Hellboy: Masks and Monsters” as Want to Read:
Hellboy: Masks and Monsters

Hellboy: Masks and Monsters (Hellboy Crossovers)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,015 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Mike Mignola teams up with an all-star line of superhero creators to bring you two incredible crossover tales First, Hellboy joins forces with Batman and Starman in an adventure that takes them from the rooftops of Gotham to the steamy jungles of the Amazon, to rescue the first Starman, Ted Knight, from a secret Nazi organization that plans to use him to resurrect an elder ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 136 pages
Published October 13th 2010 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Iron King by Julie KagawaHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
The BEST heroes Ever
199th out of 573 books — 410 voters
B.P.R.D., Vol. 1 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 2 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 3 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 4 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 5 by Mike Mignola
"Mignola-verse" comics
70th out of 86 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
Sep 03, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Hellboy: Masks and Monsters is a reissue of two brief runs of comics Mike Mignola was involved with in the late `90s. The first teams Hellboy up with Batman and Starman in a mystery that begins in Gotham and takes them to the jungles of South America to fight off Nazis and a Lovecraftian horror. The second has Hellboy go up against the Ghost and a mysterious figure in a mask.

The first story is cool if only to see Hellboy and Batman fighting side by side but Batman feels ultimately under-used and
Dec 03, 2013 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I remember reading the Batman/Hellboy/Starman crossover when I was going through the Starman omnibus collections. (It's in The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4.) I liked it ok then, and more so now that I'm actually familiar with Hellboy. I got the feeling from this crossover that it was done more because it was a cool idea than to sell comics. The Ghost crossover was also pretty decent. I would have probably liked it a whole lot more if I knew anything about this version of the Ghost, but I came in clue ...more
I liked the Lovecraft references.
I LOVED the art of Mignola.
I didn't like the writing.
But I think I'll try some Hellboy for Mignola's sake.
Will Redd
Jun 02, 2013 Will Redd rated it it was amazing
I have always been a fan of the crossover, especially when it's done for the sake of storytelling and not a marketing scheme (although, sometimes the storytelling in those situations can still stand above the marketing). The crossovers in this collection don't seem to be for any other reason than the writers wanted to see these characters interact, and that's what I love.

First up we have Hellboy teaming up with Batman and Starman when a group of Neo-Nazis kidnap Ted Knight (the original Starman)
May 06, 2016 Garrett rated it liked it
The first half of the first story with Batman was really good, but the second story really sucked. Ghost is one of those superheroes that I have never really liked..
Orrin Grey
Nov 02, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
Two older stories that see Hellboy crossing over with more traditional costumed heroes, one drawn by Mignola but not written by him, and one written by him but not drawn by him. Neither of them are as much to my tastes as the typical straightforward Hellboy story, but both have good stuff going on.

I'm really glad that they colored the spine of this one to match the Hellboy Weird Tales volumes, to show that these stories are outside Hellboy canon.
Joseph R.
Mar 06, 2012 Joseph R. rated it really liked it
One of the popular things to boost sales in the comics industry is to make a team of individually popular characters (like The Avengers or the various Justice Leagues) or have characters' worlds cross. Since Hellboy is in a universe of his own, this work is definitely the later. Actually, this volume contains two separate team-ups: Batman/Hellboy/Starman and Ghost/Hellboy.

The first story follows Batman as he investigates the kidnapping of Ted Knight, the original Starman (who's a hero with a cos
Hellboy + Batman + Starman = :\, eh, who's Starman?

I wanted to like Masks and Monsters, if only because Mignola illustrated (but didn't write) a Batman & Hellboy story. Sadly, there was very little for me to enjoy in this doubly-arced collection.

The first tale is a cut & paste typical Hellboy story. Nazis are trying to revive an Elder God down in San Diablo. The BPRD disapproves. So does Starman, because the Nazi's kidnapped his genius father and are using him for malignant purposes. Bat
Sep 10, 2016 Paolo rated it liked it
It's a fun read, but otherwise formulaic. Nazis do bad things, so Hellboy must team up with, uh--*spins roulette wheel*-- ah, Batman and uh,--*throws darts at dartboard*-- yeah, Starman to save Starman's dad from said Nazis doing bad things. Oh, and in the second story,--*rolls bingo cage*--Ghost is trying to get Hellboy into another dimension to awaken something with HB's right hand of exposition.

Fun, but mildly boring.
Feb 10, 2014 James rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume dusts Hellboy off for a couple team-ups. The first two-parter has our favorite devil stop Nazis from summoning a great old one with help from Batman and Starman. The second brings in Ghost, a Dark Horse character I wasn't familiar with, to solve a magic-and-murder locked-room mystery.

Both series are ok, although Batman focuses the attention a little more than Ghost does. The art is good; Mignola handles the first tale as only he can while Ghost artist Scott Benefiel does a great job
Slap Happy
Jan 14, 2012 Slap Happy rated it it was ok
Hellboy and Batman. Together. In the same comic. That is so much WIN right there, it could only be expressed in all caps.

But perhaps, it was too much WIN. The pairing, its inherent, overburdening WINNESS, broke the comic. Mignola tried to spread out all that concentrated WINNESS over a bland, run of the mill story. Dilute its potency a tad. Spread it thin, smoosh it out. Again: too much WIN. Or so he thought. But shouldn't there be a little bit of madness in a pairing such as this? I think so, y
Seizure Romero
First up: Hellboy, Batman & Starman beat up a bunch of Nazis who are trying to bring Lovecraftian horrors into our world. Hijinks & good times aplenty! For example:

Starman (upon viewing impending elder god): Whoa, he's a big boy.
Nazi: And many-sided.
Starman: Now that was from Lovecraft. Don't be trying to impress me with watered-down H.P.

On the other hand, The Ghost/Hellboy story is kinda dumb. The old Marvel Team-Up formula (heroes meet, fight due to stupid misunderstanding, eventually
Sep 07, 2009 Afryst rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
James Robinson's Starman? Mike Mignola's Hellboy? And Batman for some reason? Be still my geekish heart!

Well actually, there's a pretty standard plot here which seems to have laid aside the quirks of it's component characters in an attempt to shoehorn them together. Despite the input of both Mignola and Robinson, you won't find any of the fascinating folklore or wit Hellboy fans normally enjoy, nor Starman's usual thoughts on kitsch, beauty or responsibility. Mignola's depiction of Batman is int
Part 1 is the Hellboy Batman team-up.
Part 2 is the Hellboy Starman team-up.
Parts 1 and 2 are drawn by Mignola, but written by somebody else.
Parts 3 and 4 are Hellboy and Ghost team-ups.
Parts 1 and 2 are part of a single story.
Parts 3 and 4 are a single - different story.
Parts 3 and 4 are written by Mignola, but drawn by somebody else.

So... it isn't a single complete story from start to finish as I had hoped and expected it to be.
Still, it is pretty darn good as far as team-ups stories and art go
Jul 21, 2011 Jake rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, action
Apparently, Hellboy stories only work when they're old school horror pulp or new wave dark fantasy craziness. The whole teamwork action-adventure tales don't really go all that smoothly. And Batman's in the first story! But he's not really Batman. He's some kind of lazy impression of Batman. Bogus. It could've been really awesome, but, then again, doing a classic superhero (especially one as cold and detailed as the Dark Knight) is tough. Eh. Sometimes, crossovers work. Sometimes, they don't. He ...more
Oct 09, 2011 Jeane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
When I saw Batman teaming up with Hellboy I was like, "Oh hell yeah!" I wish that was what was in the whole issue! I am not familiar with Starman or Ghost but their team up with Hellboy is equally enjoyable. The Batman and Starman storyline is tied together, but the Ghost storyline is separate. It's a great book for any collector of Hellboy novels such as myself.
I would also like to say that I got this book signed by Mike Mignola the co-author of the book and creator of Hellboy, and he drew a B
Dec 06, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
Part 1 is the Hellboy Batman team-up.
Part 2 is the Hellboy Starman team-up.
Parts 1 and 2 are drawn by Mignola, but written by somebody else.
Parts 3 and 4 are Hellboy and Ghost team-ups.
Parts 1 and 2 are part of a single story.
Parts 3 and 4 are a single - different story.
Parts 3 and 4 are written by Mignola, but drawn by somebody else.

Still, it is pretty darn good as far as team-ups stories and art go
Erik Waiss
Jul 24, 2016 Erik Waiss rated it it was amazing
Two nice self-contained Hellboy stories. Added bonus: these stories are crossovers with Batman, Starman, and The Ghost. This book is a stand-alone, and takes place well Hellboy is still with the BPRD. I think this would be a nice addition to anybody's Hellboy library, especially anybody who enjoys the character or wants a good place to jump in.
Feb 27, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels
It was really fun to see Hellboy hanging with Batman, and I only wish that there had been more to that part of the first story. I'm not very familiar with Starman, and had never even heard of Ghost, so that probably took away from my experience.

I could tell this was early-ish Mignola, and it wasn't really his best work, but it was still fun to read.
Five stars for the Batman/Starman crossover; wavering between two and three for the Ghost crossover. Is that one of Ghost's usual artists? Is there always so much cleavage? And why must "sad girl deceived by transparent bad guy" be such a common plot? Let's just go back to punching Nazis and tentacle monsters, please. It's hard to go wrong punching Nazis and tentacle monsters.
Aug 26, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
The storylines are purely Hellboy-by-the-numbers. Nazis! Elder Gods! The Right Hand of Doom! etc. etc. Really, this is just an excuse for Hellboy to trade witty repartee with DC comics icons like Batman and Starman. On that level, Masks and Monsters is a success. It's fun to see Hellboy bounce off of these more conventional superheroes, and the artwork is fantastic throughout.
David Molnar
Nov 01, 2012 David Molnar rated it it was amazing
freaking awesome. It's got Batman. It's got Nazis. It's got Chthulu, or however you spell it. And it's got Hellboy opening up several cans of whoop-ass. (hyphenated, or no?)
The story with Ghost doesn't have these things, but it's the B-side. We don't complain about the book because of the B-side. This is a winner.
May 08, 2016 Aaron rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels

I don't know why this volume exists. Hellboy didn't need to team up with Batman, Starman, or Ghost but if you're going to do so maybe it should rise above standard Hellboy fare to really take advantage of these other characters and the worlds they're mashing up. It doesn't. This is essentially WEIRD TALES Vol. 3 but not weird enough.
Russell Olson
The Batman/Starman portion of the book is pretty great (I'm partial to Mignloa's art) and the story is a bit of light fun. The Ghost section is too much a mash up that never really does anything. Seems a bit like a pointless crossover. I'd give the first part 4 stars and the second 2 for an average of 3.
Chris Knox
Sep 24, 2012 Chris Knox rated it liked it
I often find that shorter Hellboy stories suffer from very quick conclusions and the 2 stories in this collection are no different. Both really nice pieces of work that would have benefitted greatly from being 5 instalment pieces rather than 2.
La Revistería Comics
Máscaras y monstruos, uno de los más recientes tomos argentino de Hellboy. Superhéroes, viajeros de las estrellas y fantasmas reunidos en un único tomo que junta los crossovers del infiernudo con variopintos personajes de DC Comics.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Aug 08, 2015 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it really liked it
You'll enjoy this even if you aren't familiar with all the characters who make cameos. The storytelling is solid and I never felt like I was behind or didn't know what was happening. It also got me sort of interested in Ghost and Starman, so. Yeah. You should read it.
Jun 14, 2014 John rated it liked it
Great art as always but both of the stories are forgettable. I enjoyed the 2nd with Ghost/ Hellboy more though as it felt a lot more mysterious and interesting to me. Enjoyable comic, but not as good as other stories.
Mar 13, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, teens
Hellboy works along side Batman, Starman and Ghost. Really liked seeing Batman drawn in Mignola's signature style. Also enjoyed the Ghost story, written by Mignola, but drawn in a more traditional superhero style.
Nov 19, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
A nice solid outing with Mike Mignola's signature character. This time Hellboy gets to pay with guest stars Batman, Starman and Ghost (from Dark Horse Comics). Not as strong as the regular BRPD or Hellboy stories, yet mildly entertaining regardless.
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Batman/Captain America
  • Starman, Vol. 4: Times Past
  • Light Brigade
  • Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)