Start by marking “10-Minute Toughness” as Want to Read:
10-Minute Toughness

10-Minute Toughness

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  23 reviews
""10-Minute Toughness" is a solid mental training program. In fact I feel it is the best of its kind. . . . [It's] what the title says: ten minutes a day that connects your talents and abilities to the outcome you're seeking. As a retired NFL player looking forward, I can see as many applications for the toughness Jason Selk's program brought out of me in the business worl ...more
Published September 14th 2008 by McGraw-Hill (first published September 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 10-Minute Toughness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10-Minute Toughness

Caroline Slee
Okay, it's not my usual review, I admit it.

I read "10 Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program For Winning Before the Game Begins."

I'm not going to give an in-depth analysis this time. I'm going to explain it a bit differently: I find running on the treadmill BORING. I do. I come up with all sorts of tricks to make the time pass. It's just far too hot to attempt my running outside right now (and by right now I mean through October or November).

This book completely took my mind of the repet
Rob James
The best sports psychology book I have ever read. I recommend it for athletes, probably starting at high school age and older, parents of athletes, and coaches. Selk obviously does some leadership training aside from his work with athletes and it comes through. Thus, making this book relevant beyond the world of athletics and also in business. His advice is practical and simple.
Kristy Nuttall
Quick read with great information in it for athletes. The author gives them a straight forward approach to staying focused and gives them an edge to get themselves into the zone a little easier. It helped us create a plan that truly worked for our son and we could see a difference after just one time of him using it before his basketball game. Now it's his ritual.
Robert B
Selk's motivational techniques for athletes seem reasonable enough. The key question, however, is whether they are useful for regular folks in their day-to-day lives. Selk claims that they are but should have offered more evidence to support their general applicability.
Rolando Gill
May 06, 2011 Rolando Gill rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Athletes and Business people
Great read with practical applications. Step by step process to increase mental toughness, set goals and monitor and evaluate progress. Glad that I found it and I have already started implementing. I highly recommend it for sport and business.
Matthew
I really liked this and you can apply to almost anything. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually use this for my bond business daily! It really helps me stay focused!
Jordan White
Great book on incorporating mental toughness in your routine. Concepts here apply to so much more than just sport.
Dennis Willingham
Some really good visualization techniques I'm looking forward to trying out with my golf game.
Jeff Thiel
Step by step: building belief and the will to win

As it promises, offers tangible strategies for building mental toughness. Very much geared to athletics but from time to time the author points out that these strategies can be used in the professional world also. Building mental toughness can be a powerful tool that encourages better physical performance because athletes can better and more smartly train.

The strategies presented aren't two terribly complicated or confusing. The key is a person's
Gail
Somehow I managed to buy this book without realising it was aimed at professional athletes! I wanted to read a book about resilience - how to become tougher, emotionally. And this book claimed to have a formula for this, lasting ten minutes a day. Sounded good. And to be fair, it did say it could apply to any area of life - but all the examples were of professional athletes, and the author seemed to forget that he had initially said this could apply to job situations and other things.

The advice
Fran Parsons
Very easy to read. Gives simple, helpful tools for athletes to improve their mental focus. My 11 year old has already started successfully using the outline.
Andrea Preston
A very good book that provides step by step instructions to build mental toughness and resilience in sports in order to improve overall performance. There are many examples used and provides practical and realistic exercises that can easily be completed by athletes at any level. There is not much 'fluff' in this book, very technical and hands-on.
Tony
I would read 'Mind Gym' over this book if I only had time to read one
LNH
If you're already familiar with cognitive behavioral psychology, much of this won't be new in terms of the principles Selk bases his method on. Nor did I find the goal setting piece to be new (and for a weekend warrior like myself, daily success log completion seems excessive--weekly should be sufficient). However, I think developing your 10 min mental training routine (really 3-4 min) could be very valuable and I plan to give it a try this next cyclocross season.
Jeff Becker
This was a very informative book. Obviously focused on athletes and sports performance, but if you can get past that, there are a bunch of great techniques for the reader to use in their daily life. A lot of this info can be found in more traditional self-help books, but here it's more palatable and grounded in the real world. I'd recommend this book to athletes and non-athletes alike. I was taking notes left and right while reading this book!
Raymond
This book holds a good deal of knowledge and advice but I found it a little long and repetitive. All of the case studies have valid points but at times it feels a bit laid on and pretentious. In saying this there were many valuable a relevant things to highlight and revisit.

Although it holds more power for the athlete in me as opposed to the businessman its still a pretty powerful read.
Andre
Too much clutter due to the overuse of examples with famous athletes from the author's own practice to illustrate points already made and understood. If you cut all this clutter you keep a few pages of useful information which is written in a very easy to read style. The advice given is sound and helped me progress in my sport.
Arne
An interesting read with some very practical insights into performance. I give it a 3 because some of the points are obvious and the focus is extremely Americanized. If you don't know baseball you can just go ahead and skip half the book.
rob
Read this after it was referenced on The Champs podcast. Straight forward and practical approach to personal performance. Nothing new here, but gives you a practical frame work for implementing change.
Corie Young
Enjoyed it- could use less of the stories as examples, but I am putting it to work now- Some of the tips helped my last 2 ironman races before I had really implemented the system.
Sergey
Sometimes it is really nice to be reminded of the things I know. What is even better - that the facts and examples ensure that these things work.
Linda
It delivers exactly what it claims to deliver. Like all self help books, the challenge will be in putting it into practice.
Erin
Dec 30, 2008 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I am currently obsessed with sports psychology.
Anisha
Anisha marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
David Robles
David Robles marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • What Matters Now
  • The 3 Secrets to Effective Time Investment: Achieve More Success with Less Stress: Foreword by Cal Newport, Author of So Good They Can't Ignore You
  • With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System: An Olympic Champion's Success System
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Business
  • Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence
  • Encouragement Changes Everything: Bless and Be Blessed
  • Bangkok Burn
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • The Best of Vogue® Knitting Magazine: 25 Years of Articles, Techniques, and Expert Advice
  • My Start-Up Life: What a (Very) Young CEO Learned on His Journey Through Silicon Valley
Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance 10-Minute and Executive Toughness