Start by marking “Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)

Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  105,402 Ratings  ·  7,235 Reviews
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father-an elusive European warlock-only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishme ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Disney-Hyperion (first published March 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hex Hall, please sign up.

Alexandra I totally recommend the Shadow Falls series, because it's similar to the plot in Hex Hall: Kylie Galen is sent to a camp for 'troubled teens', where…moreI totally recommend the Shadow Falls series, because it's similar to the plot in Hex Hall: Kylie Galen is sent to a camp for 'troubled teens', where she finds out she's not completely human. At first she thinks everyone is just crazy-acting-strange people but when she starts learning more about herself, she realizes everyone there, inluding herself,has paranormal abilities no human can have. She becomes best friends with her roommates, Della the vampire and Miranda the witch, and finds herself between two boys that have clearly stolen her heart, while trying to figure out how she is special.(less)
Nimika This book is a perfect blend of paranormal fantasy and character development. Rachel Hawkins has written this book in a really fun gripping way which…moreThis book is a perfect blend of paranormal fantasy and character development. Rachel Hawkins has written this book in a really fun gripping way which carries the reader away with it to its' realms of magic. According to me, it has it all- its not sloppy or serious, the narration is cocky and funny. At the same time, its not like a typical Candy Apple book cheery, the characters are explained carefully- not all at once, though, but you start to know them as the plot carries on. (less)
The BFG by Roald DahlSophie's World by Jostein GaarderSophie's Choice by William StyronWhen Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry by Molly BangHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Characters named Sophie
5th out of 47 books — 4 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerWe Were Liars by E. LockhartBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta SepetysThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
YA FABULOUS!
41st out of 64 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristi
Jul 24, 2010 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, own-arc
I've wanted to be a witch forever. Long before anyone uttered the words Harry & Potter. You see, there was this awesome movie called Teen Witch. Have you seen it? Well the girl finds out she is witch, turns her little brother into a dog, gets to meet a famous singer AND snags the most popular boy at school. All because she had magical powers. I so wanted to be a witch.

Perhaps that is why I loved this book so much, or maybe it's because Hex Hall is a laugh-out-load, fast paced and easy read.
Jo
OK, I originally gave this 3.5 stars.. but I have decided just to give it 4 stars.

“I’m experiencing some teenage angst, Mrs Casnoff,” I answered. “I need to, like, write it in my journal or something.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Wow, I read that book in about five hours…. I probably should get some food. Laughter is the only sustenance I need.

High Points.
Groundskeepers.

Sorry, what was the question?
Sophie. Jenna. Boarding school. MAGICAL BOARDING SCHOOL FOR DELINQUENT PARANORMALS. Ghosts. Flirt
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 02, 2015 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Burn

As to date, this has been one of the most enjoyable fantasy books I’ve read that deals with otherworldly creatures like witches, vampires, faes, werewolves, shape-shifters and demons (collectively called as Prodigium) through the author’s creative effort of putting them all together in one monster high called Hecate Hall or simply Hex Hall.

It’s a fast, fun read told by Sophie, a supposedly powerful witch who at 16 barely knows anything about her real powers. Thus, she gets enrolled at Hex Hall
Wendy Darling
Fun! This book really grew on me. It took several tries to get past the first couple of chapters, but once Sophie finally gets settled in at Hex Hall things start moving along. The witchy battles are pretty cool, there's good build-up of the mystique behind the school and behind Sophie's past and powers, and the author does a nice job with creating a variety of different characters with distinctive voices. I especially liked BFF Jenna and the super cute and witty Archer, and Sophie herself turns ...more
Christine Delilah (Maramochabooks)
Rating: 2.5 stars

Meet Mean Girls, witch edition.
Starting off, introduce yourselves to Cady/Sophie, the new girl from the real world. Then feast your eyes on the Plastics (also known here as The Holy Trinity). Of course then there's Janis, which comes to life as Jenna/vampire roomy, whom points out everyone in the caf.
No one likes her though, because it's like she's “obsessed” with dark witches, i.e. The Holy Trinity(Plastics).
Oh and did I mention Aaron Samuels(Archer Not-Of-Import-Last-Name)?
Navessa

Meh. Meh

Meeeeeeh. Mehhhhhhh. Meh. Meh.

(view spoiler)
Rachel E. Carter
I really liked Archer but I wasn't very drawn into the plot or the main character. The author has a fun, fast-paced writing style that is easy to follow and plenty of humor to go around, but I was not a fan of the cliff-hanger ending for a first book in a series. I will get around to the sequel at some point but this is one of my more light-hearted fantasy reads. I think it would have been a hit for my middle school self:)
Emily May
May 16, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, young-adult, 2011

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book, almost as surprised as I am by the fact that I actually decided to read it. I'd all but given up on young adult novels that feature any of the following: vampires, werewolves, witches, shifters, fairies, angels, demons... you get the idea. Young adult fantasy and urban fantasy seems to have been constantly churning out more of the same, but Hex Hall really ticked all the right boxes for me.

Granted, a boarding school for witches and whatnot isn't exactl
chucklesthescot
Alexandra Bracken
HEX HALL is an insanely fun, hilarious, and HOT book! I can't even tell you how many times I laughed out loud (or had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard)! Sophie Mercer is now officially one of my favorite heroines and I just might be a little bit in love with Archer Cross, too. :) I can't say enough wonderful things about this book, only that you need to pick it up ASAP when it debuts next March. I'm only sad that I have to wait so long to read the next book in the series!!
Daiane
Dec 13, 2015 Daiane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

It took me a while to start reading this book. My last Rachel Hawkins one didn't attracted me that much and It's not an original plot. A young witch who screw up and let humans see her magic. Firstly, how can she be that dumb to show her magic to others like nothing? Who she doesn't even know that well and is like "let me be your fairy godmother. Ops, sorry..."

Then she is sentenced to a magical boarding school for delinquent supernatural beings...

And there she makes frien
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
This book was pretty good. There was action, suspense, and some romance. The main character was witty and any reader would be able to relate to them since she had boy, friend, family and identity problems. This book occasionally reminded me of Harry Potter because of some of the teachers being both harsh and grandmotherly at times. Rachel Hawkins also captured the rea high school life and drama in this with their own version of Prom, cliques, relationships, and talking about teachers behind thei ...more
grace
Apr 08, 2016 grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75! Super fun!
Gabriella ♡
4.5

Super duper cute!

The main problem with books like this is that you don't know how to rate them. You loved it so much because it's funny and with magic, but you know that it's a simple book too. A short book that in a way doesn't tell anything particular.
This is the way I feel about this book. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't a masterpiece.
Anyway, Sophie is one of the most funny characters I read about. I mean, only Gwendolyn from Rubinrot, Saphirblau and Smaragdgrün is funnier than her xD
I lo
Lucy
My main impression from the book is that it's meant for the very bottom of the age spectrum it's being marketed for. I'd say 10-14 years old because the writing is extremely simplistic. Of course, there's a lot of dead teenagers flying around so it's a weird mix of older, more mature themes and fairly immature writing. The world building is so-so. There wasn't a lot of depth here despite being charming in a general kind of way. Female Harry Potter, Sophie Mercer is not, but still fanatic Potter ...more
Sophia.
Harry Potter :
Magic Castle. Forbidden forest. Courses to learn spells. Werewolves. Very powerful headmaster. Special relationship between headmaster and one student. Said student appears to be the Chosen One. Humble, but still very gifted.

Anna and the French Kiss :
Boarding school. Girl doesn't want to be here. On her first day, meets lesbian roommate and hottest boy in school. Then meets Queen Bee and is bullied.
Doesn't talk to Dad but likes Mom okay. Earns detention, and ends up with hottest
Beatrice
Nov 18, 2015 Beatrice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Ate AJ and Ate Rachel for recommending this book to me. (Click their names to read their reviews) This paranormal fantasy novel is fun, quick and entertaining to read. I've listened to the audio book and is narrated by Cris Dukehart (she's really good by the way).

When a spell gone bad, a young witch Sophie Mercer was sent to Hecate Hall (Hex Hall) as a punishment of exposing herself to humans. Students consists of young Prodigium or supernatural creatures like vampires, w
Temi Panayotova
Mar 20, 2016 Temi Panayotova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Тази книга буквално я заглеждах от години по книжарниците и така си и остана - не стигнах уж до нея. Докато официално си казах "Искам я пък" и си я взех, макар и 2ра ръка от момиче, което я продаваше в olx.bg. И така книжката стана моя - лошото на копието, което имах беше, че липсваха 20 страници - а после имаше и още няколко еднакво принтирани. Очевидно е доста старо копие... Все едно де - много ми хареса пък. Всички, които твърдят, че е супер посредствена, напълно грешат. Да, няма някакъв вели ...more
Anna M.
Very cute book, I enjoyed it!
oliviasbooks
Meh-meh. I really think that a bEarding-school story would have been far more orginal than this "followed-all-baking-instructions-for-paranomal-young-adult" boarding-school girly-girl, let's-kiss-the-presumably-hot-and-bad-but-taken warlock, "three-mean-girls-shall-you-be" witchy-washy is.

Please pat me on my back! Finishing this with only skipping half a page now and then took almost all my witch-power for today.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

When my husband asked me what I was reading today, I summed this book up to him as, "Harry Potter chick lit". I meant that as a complement. "Hex Hall" is a really adorable and spunky YA paranormal read. It is what Mythos Academy tried to be before it fell miserably short. I was shocked at how much fun I had reading this book.

The most successful parts of this story were the characters and the witty dialogue. Sophie was an awesome MC. She was funny (I surprised myself by laughing out
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

My apologies in advance for what you are about to read. When I find my feelings about a book I’m reading are on the “meh” side, I tend to lose focus easily. I space out and take a lot of reading breaks. Sometimes the result of those distractions is a complete crap gif-filled mess instead of a review.

Sophie was just trying to cast a love spell that would make the quarterback ditch his cheer captain date and take the most unpopular girl
Ariel
Jul 04, 2012 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK WAS SO MUCH FUN!

The characters were all awesome, the setting was great, and the plot was exciting!

I really enjoyed the main character, she was witty and snarky.

VIDEO REVIEW UP SOON :)
Taissa
May 09, 2015 Taissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had its fast and slow moments, but for the most part is was so good.
Jenna is definitely my favorite character. xx
Angigames
Simpatico, semplice, divertente e dinamico.
Questo è il libro adatto per staccare la spina, per rilassarsi. Da leggere durante la pausa tra una lezione e l’altra, sul treno o al lavoro poco prima della chiusura mentre il capo è impegnato in altre cose.
La cosa che mi ha conquistato fin da subito è stato l’elemento magico, il fatto che si parla di una scuola di magia. Come poter resistere ad un istituto che ospita streghe, mutaforma, fate e anche vampiri?!
Io non resisto a temi del genere.
Sophie, i
Ash Wednesday
Jun 24, 2014 Ash Wednesday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Princess Diaries (IDK, don't ask me why)
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: YA-MA Scavenger Hunt Challenge
3 STARS
”Come on, Sophia!” she called. “Be traditional for once!”

Seeing as a young witch getting sent to a Magical School is brimming with creativity and originality.

To be fair, Hecate/Hex Hall was more of a lazy derivation of Hogwarts than an effort to be in the same league. I suspect any other attempt at imagining a school in the context of Fantasy will be branded as such and this smartly capitalized on its presumed strengths in other areas. Unfortunately, this felt like it placed all its egg
Elena
May 24, 2015 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So freaking cute and hilarious!
Rachel Hawkins is a queen, when it comes to these terms! I've read Rebel Belle this year, fell in love and now it is one of my absolute favourites of this year. So, normally I had to read something else by this amazing author. Since I was 15 I was eyeing this book but unfortunately never picked it up. I'm so dumb.
I loved Hex Hall!
Our main protagonist is funny as hell. I just adored her wit and her sassiness!

I can't wait to continue with this series, especially aft
Abbi Glines
I love a book that can make me laugh. Although I am not feeling the Team Archer vibe after this book I will say that as far as romance this series has potential. The characters are all entertaining and keep you guessing. Best "witch" book I've read in awhile.
Mateja
Dec 05, 2011 Mateja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Hex Hall is a delightfully entertaining and fun read. After the intensity of Shatter Me, reading this book was a perfect choice to slowly return me to the land of »normal«. But that's not to say that Hex Hall is all laughs and fun. There were some pretty intense and scary moments in this book too, but the witty banter is what really stuck with me.

I laughed out loud many times at Sophie's humorous remarks. She's very easy to like and care about. What I love the most about her is how she doesn't
Lauren Smart
Jan 05, 2016 Lauren Smart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of everything supernatural and sarcastic, witty humor
Shelves: 4-star-gems

What an amazingly wicked ride! This book was like delving back into Hogwarts. A supernatural boarding school for witches, faeries, and shapeshifters? Two words. AMAZINGLY AMAZING.

I loved Sophie's sense of humor. It was such a dry, sarcastic, witty humor and I don't know about the rest of y'all but that is what I love most!

There are so many things that happen in this book and you don't have to wait very long for the plot to start unfolding. By chapter 3, I was already engulfed so deep into the w
YA Book Club!: Hex Hall (#1) 4 13 Apr 17, 2016 09:38PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins - Restarting February 20th 2016 17 71 Feb 24, 2016 04:25PM
Bookreads :): Hex Hall 1 1 Jan 10, 2016 02:53PM
picks for actors/actresses for the movie! 57 662 Jan 02, 2016 06:40AM
hex hall book game 52 43 Jan 01, 2016 12:33AM
Addicted to YA: Hex Hall 27 317 Jul 28, 2015 11:13AM
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
  • Once a Witch (Witch, #1)
  • Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • Life Eternal (Dead Beautiful, #2)
  • The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
  • Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1)
  • Rival Demons (The Shadow Demons Saga #5)
  • Spellbound (Spellbound, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1)
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)

Hex Hall (3 books)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)

22 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”
774 likes
“I heard the man and woman cry a warning as I frantically racked my brain for some sort of throat-repairing spell, which I was clearly about to need. Of course the only words that I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, 'BAD DOG!'

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a flash of blue light on my left. Suddenly, the werewolf seemed to smack into an invisible wall just inches in front of me....

"You know," someone said off to my left, "I usually find a blocking spell to be a lot more effective than yelling 'Bad dog,' but maybe that's just me.”
718 likes