Start by marking “Mr. President Goes to School” as Want to Read:
Mr. President Goes to School

Mr. President Goes to School

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
When the President finds the many pressures of his job to be frustrating and overwhelming, he returns to kindergarten and is reminded of the important lessons he learned there and how they can help him in his current role.
Published July 1st 2010 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mr. President Goes to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. President Goes to School

Wonder by R.J. PalacioHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMiss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry AllardFrindle by Andrew ClementsThe Perilous Case of the Zombie Potion by Pendred Noyce
Back to School!
56th out of 71 books — 43 voters
So You Want to Be President? by Judith St. GeorgeMadam President by Lane SmithJohn, Paul, George & Ben by Lane SmithThe Buck Stops Here by Alice ProvensenAbe Lincoln's Dream by Lane Smith
Picture Books About American Presidents
43rd out of 83 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Gabrielle Blockton
Date: September 30th, 2014

Author: Rick Walton; Illustrated by Brad Sneed

Title: Mr. President Goes to School

Plot: Mr. President is stressed out at work: gophers are roaming the White House's lawn, and Bulrovia and Snortbug are about to go to war with one another. To get away from his complex job as president, he dresses in a disguise and goes over to Mrs. Appletree's small classroom, where he participates in recess, finger-painting and creating forts with the students. Will a day in Mrs. Appletr
Donalyn
Everything the PoTUS needs to know he learned in kindergarten. A silly book about manners, conflict resolution and the value of naps and the hokey-pokey.
Gabby
Oct 24, 2012 Gabby rated it really liked it
Mr. President is stressed out. There were gophers in the Rose Garden, a soon-to-be-demolished Ping-Pong table, and the threat of a war between Bulrovia and Snortburg. To get away from all the stresses of being President, he decides to go back to kindergarten, where life was much simpler. He finger paints, goes to recess and makes friends, chases a squirrel, makes a castle out of blocks, and naps. In class, Mr. President reviews his manners by raising his hand and saying “please”, and being frien ...more
babyhippoface
Sep 10, 2010 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
When you're the President of the United States, an endless stream of problems become yours, even if you're not personally involved. There are gophers in the White House Rose Garden, and the gardener wants them out, but the gopher-lovers of America want them in! Two world leaders (one's from Snortburg) are going at it tooth-and-nail, and on top of that, the Vice-President told some Boy Scouts they could chop up his ping-pong table for firewood. It's just too much. So the President puts on his tre ...more
Michael
Mar 17, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In the middle of a political campaign when presidential candidates do things that would never be allowed on a school playground, maybe everybody should read this book about what a president could learn from a day back in his old kindergarten. And when you are done, maybe you should send a copy to your favorite presidential candidate.
For more great picture books for little guys, see: http://talestoldtall.com/blog1/pictur...
Peggy Archer
Jul 15, 2016 Peggy Archer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Kids will relate very easily to Mr. President, who goes back (in disguise) to his old grade school, a place where the world is a little simpler. By the end of the day he skips back to the white house, where he finds a more simple way to deal with the problems that a president must face. Great writing with fun language and equally enjoyable illustrations.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
The President of the United States goes back to kindergarten when he gets feed up with the job of President. He remembers what he learned at school to solve his problems at work.
Lindsay Beckman
Funny, but wish there was an effort made towards racial and gender diversity...this wasn't written *that* long ago.
Edwin
Nov 05, 2014 Edwin rated it really liked it
I think a copy of this book should be sent to every elected official in Washington!
Rani
Jul 26, 2016 Rani rated it liked it
Mr. President visits the school whenever he has some troubles.
Mollie B
Jan 27, 2016 Mollie B rated it really liked it
That's what it's all about. The Hokey Pokey. Super fun. Of course.
Erin
Aug 18, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Amazing illustrations!
Dani
Sep 13, 2012 Dani rated it liked it
Being the President of the United States is too much for Mr. President so he sneaks off to return to Kindergarten. There he learns "what it's all about." He returns to apply his new knowledge on such world problems as war (imagine Prime Minister's doing the Hokey Pokey). A cute idea, and surely there's something of value here, but it's also incredibly simple and silly. One can't sneak off to return to Kindergarten just because life is stressful! Geez. Still, a fun read that preschoolers will mos ...more
Judy Desetti
Feb 01, 2011 Judy Desetti rated it liked it
Silly book about the President. He runs away from his problems back to his kindergarten teacher. While visiting he is reminded that the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about. He goes back to Oval office to use his kindergarten solutions.

This is just a fun read aloud story without a lesson or moral.

It does trivialize the ominous job of the President and the tasks and problems he must face.

Juliej
Feb 07, 2011 Juliej rated it really liked it
Poor Mr. President just wants to head back to a simpler time - so he goes down the road from the White House to his old school and takes what he learns back to help with conflict resolution between two countries who want to go to war. A little bit silly (two prime ministers doing the hokey pokey) but what a lesson that some humor might just be what's needed to break the ice.
Mandi Murphy
Jun 27, 2011 Mandi Murphy rated it it was amazing
Really, really cute story. I love Brad Sneed's artwork.**I am revising my rating from four stars to five now that I have actually read it to my kids. Even my 13 year old sat and listened to it. It was great. I haven't had so many little boys piled on my lap in quite a while. This Murphy family moment brought to you by Walton and Sneed.
Fabulous Classroom
Jun 07, 2011 Fabulous Classroom rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book reminds me of the poem "Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten." It is the story of a U.S. President who gets fed up with the daily problems of the White House so sneaks off to his old kindergarten class. He later returns and uses what he learned to solve world problems. Great lessons for all!
Oct 22, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2010
This book is kind of silly, but I loved it. I wish our world leaders WOULD eat milk and cookies and remember what, exactly, it's all about. (You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out...) I also loved the image of a world leader "really shaking it all about". They should do that, too.
Tricia
Aug 09, 2011 Tricia rated it it was ok
Obviously I am in the minority who were not bowled over by this book about the President becoming so fed up with politics that he walks down the street to his elementary school and tries to fit in as a kid. My audience of early elementary schoolers enjoyed it so who am I to judge?
Greta
Jun 22, 2012 Greta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I love Rick Walton's books. This is one I just barely purchased today at my local University Bookstore. Wouldn't it be great if all of the world's problems could be solved this way? Actually, there is so much truth to this philosophy and it really is the key to world peace.
Lisa
Sep 17, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp
Mr. President takes a break from his hectic work by spending the day in Kindergarten. Then he takes what he learned that day back to his job-- not just the parts about sharing and getting along, but also the parts about building forts and dancing the hokey-pokey. Charming.
Amy Carr
Apr 29, 2011 Amy Carr rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Was completely surprised and charmed by this sweet story about a world leader who figures out what it is REALLY all about. Loved the premise of the story and the reminder to slow down and remember what really matters. Great book!
Michelle
Jun 30, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
So good! A little old for Rachel, but I think she'll love it in a year. A fun plot, great pictures,and a cute lesson about how much fun it is to be a kid. Thanks Sarah, this is one of the better children books that I've read.
Peacegal
Dec 28, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Ever want to leave your grownup life and just go back to kindergarten? This book is pitch-perfect, wonderfully illustrated, and very funny. Adults will enjoy it as much as, if not more, than tots.
Paula
Aug 10, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
When the President finds the many pressures of his job to be overwhelming, he disguises himself and returns to kindergarten, where he is reminded of the important lessons he learned there.
Heather
Dec 13, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. I love the president sneaking off to the elementary school and the world leaders having milk and cookies and doing the hokey-pokey. Very clever.
Shannon
Oct 12, 2011 Shannon rated it did not like it
Not my bag. Not my deal. Plus, I was admittedly in an awful mood when I read this, so I'm sure that doesn't help matters any.
Sep 10, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I had an advanced copy of this, and I read it to my niece who was probably too young, but she enjoyed it still.
Alysha DeShaé
Apr 22, 2013 Alysha DeShaé rated it it was amazing
Many current politicians should go back to kindergarten and refresh those simple lessons. :-)
Stefani
Dec 09, 2010 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Hilarious! Sometimes, the simplest solutions are best. And the hokey pokey IS what it's all about.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born and raised in Utah, Walton is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormon Church. He served as a missionary to Brazil from 1976 to 1978, soon after he graduated from high school. Later, at Brigham Young University, he became president of the Brazil Club. In 1980, he graduated from Brigham Young with a bachelor's degree in Spanish and a minor in Portuguese, the lang ...more
More about Rick Walton...