Start by marking “Paintings in the Louvre” as Want to Read:
Paintings in the Louvre

Paintings in the Louvre

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Lawrence Gowing, the most vivid writer on art to have lived in this century, selected more than 800 European masterpieces for inclusion in this, the most lavish and comprehensive volume ever published on the greatest collection of paintings in the world - the Louvre.

Superbly reproduced in full color, here are all of the most important paintings in the Louvre. The works of

Published July 1st 1994 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Paintings in the Louvre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paintings in the Louvre

Can't say I read every word in this book but I looked at every page multiple times and will probably go back to it again and again. It helped me map out which paintings I wanted to see more than others when I visited the louvre recently. I only had half a day there so I didn't manage to see all the pieces I wanted to but I would have seen much less without this.
Present to myself, as sweet as candy and not a very expensive book either. Goes right next to my Paintings from the Hermitage.
Jun 16, 2012 Dyer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: art and art history lovers
A door-stop of a book about an amazing museum's paintings that I will always refer back to in order to reminisce about my love of art and my love of Paris. You can ask for no better, more urbane, and witty guide through the magisterial collection of this amazing museum. A book that continues to educate and entertain through beatiful photographs of world famous paintings and their authors. A book to treasure.
Chris Rau
The most incredible collection of paintings I've ever seen in a single book. Weighs about 600 lbs.
I love flipping through all the art.
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Esteban marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Margherita marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Elena T (books&bears)
Elena T (books&bears) marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Ashish marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Claire added it
May 15, 2015
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Books for Walls
Books for Walls marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Christoper Robinson
Christoper Robinson marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Fampohl marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sir Lawrence Gowing was a British artist, writer, curator, and teacher. Initially recognized as a portrait and landscape painter, he quickly rose to prominence as an art educator, writer, and, eventually, curator and museum trustee. As a student of art history he was largely self-taught.

Sir Lawrence was born Lawrence Burnett Gowing to Horace Gowing, a draper, and his wife, Luisa. Born in Stoke New
More about Lawrence Gowing...