Start by marking “FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching” as Want to Read:
FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching

FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching

Updated forth edition of the 1996 title (see ISBN 0965571203 for further information)
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 630 pages
Published January 2006 by Lominger Ltd Inc (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about FYI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FYI

Brian
Mar 24, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is not a book that you would read cover-to-cover, but it is definitely a great reference book to keep on your shelf. Anyone who manages others, mentors, or provides feedback should glance through this book in the store to see what they think.

This book lists 160+ competencies of which it provides ideas on how you might improve. For example, if you feel that you might need help with delegation, then you would look up that competency and then you can read through points to determine if that co
Anisa Aven
Jul 04, 2011 Anisa Aven rated it it was amazing
I have the 5th edition. It's unbelievably thorough and delivers everytime I pick it up. Let's say you want to improve your comfort with executive conversations - the chapter answers all sides of the equation - what happens when you use this skill too much, what happens when you are deficient, what specifically you can do to compensate or stretch yourself in that area etc. Think of a professional comepentcy that you want to develop and a well-thought-out plan of how to go about it, is in this boo ...more
Laleh
Aug 08, 2013 Laleh rated it really liked it
An extensive self-evaluation manual on personal and interpersonal skills. I liked how the book is structured. The most interesting part is where correlations between various skills are projected into how one can improve a skill by compensating it by other skills.
Ray Kelly
Feb 23, 2015 Ray Kelly rated it really liked it
FYI: For Your Improvement is the ultimate guide for development and coaching and is intended to be used by individuals and organizations to enhance development. It is a very thorough reference book on the topics of leadership development and ideal for managers and mentors. This book describes many competencies and other focus areas and provides a plan how to improve your abilities in each of these. Each chapter provides detailed descriptions, possible causes, as well as suggested remedies, on-th ...more
Jess
Jan 10, 2016 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and simple...once you read the instructions for how to read it!
Certainly not for in-depth 'self-improvement,' but more along the lines of "oh this is hard for you sometimes? Here's some ideas on how to work on that- and further reading for you to consider!"
Kind of fun, I like having it at the office when I'm stumped with a work-related issue.
Erik Lomas
May 18, 2012 Erik Lomas rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic resource for anyone wanting to work on their career. This is a very comprehensive guide for assessing your professional strengths and weaknesses. And then it provides a fantastic list of improvement ideas and further reading to address any aspect of your professional life that you'd like to work on. Again, a fantastic resource for any professional.
Molly
Dec 08, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing
I have the 5th edition. Very insightful book gives tips on how to work on our weaknesses & play to our strengths while at the same time not become overbearing and monotone in our talents. A must read for anyone working in a team environment or those with careers in today's corporate America or middle-management.
Lindsay
Mar 26, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
I have this book and love it! I was given an edition as a gift and I had to buy a more recent edition because the one I was given was constently being lent out. I use it as a reference and resource for myself, my employees and anyone I'm mentoring. Great book, wonderful resource!
Jac
May 11, 2008 Jac rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: managers and leaders
Recommended to Jac by: Katherine Chou
It's worth having your own copy of this book so you can mark it up, like a workbook. I borrowed a copy, and read through parts, but it would be much more effective used as a work book or along with a journal.
Benoit Marinoff
Apr 22, 2013 Benoit Marinoff rated it it was amazing
Great book to help you when you reach a point and you wonder what is next and how you can grow. Large list of valuable skills explaining each of them in depth and advising on how to becoming better with them. from there it is up to you to apply it or not!
PeterBlackCoach
Recommended to me by a client - ties in nicely with job right job design, effective and ineffective performance in a role and the use of Hogan Assessments to ascertain the personality, potential derailers and values in a person. Will be an invaluable coaching resource.

PB
Kelley-doreen Barnes
Jan 23, 2014 Kelley-doreen Barnes rated it it was amazing
Must read/own for all Leaders. Great tool when developing PDP
Sean Koehler
Jun 21, 2012 Sean Koehler rated it it was amazing

A ton of useful information
Wendy Homan
Dec 29, 2016 Wendy Homan rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure you can actually ever be done reading this book. Very informative and helpful in personal growth and development.
Thom Britten
Jan 05, 2015 Thom Britten rated it really liked it
This is a rather extensive tome of HR and development. Good place to start for odd issues. I feel people could live in this book and never get outside of it, that'd be the only downfall I see.
Jane Andelman
Nov 14, 2014 Jane Andelman rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is a great resource for handling HR issues and for self-improvement.
Ruth Vanhoven
Jan 17, 2015 Ruth Vanhoven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for professional development: both for your self and those you work with.
Katie
Jan 23, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
This is a great tool/resource for managers and teams.
Michael Graber
a great field guide to the inside traits and challenges of leadership
Rebecca Johnson
Aug 02, 2011 Rebecca Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Use this on the daily...
Alisa
Feb 09, 2011 Alisa marked it as to-read
Shelves: business, reference
6oo page tome on core competencies. looks like a handy reference. clearly not something you would sit down and read cover to cover.
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: managers
Great help for managing people.
Chadster
May 15, 2012 Chadster rated it really liked it
This book is really a great resource for developing your self - highly recommended
Arun Padmanabhan
Arun Padmanabhan rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2008
Chantel
Chantel rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2008
Megan Mccoy
Megan Mccoy rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Dookhy Muzzammil
Dookhy Muzzammil rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2014
Maureen Dixon
Maureen Dixon rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Mongs
Mongs rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • Agile Coaching
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Influence Without Authority
  • Get a Grip on Philosophy
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • Successful Manager's Handbook
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2009: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • The Elephant and the Flea: Reflections of a Reluctant Capitalist
  • Debugging: The 9 Indispensable Rules for Finding Even the Most Elusive Software and Hardware Problems
  • Messages: The Communication Skills Book