Start by marking “Frommer's Japan” as Want to Read:
Frommer's Japan

Frommer's Japan

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Frommer's Japan" is packed with all the facts, tips, and descriptions you need to have perfect vacation: Our author has written about Japan for years, so she's able to provide valuable insights and advice. She'll steer you away from the touristy and the inauthentic and show you the real heart of the Land of the Rising Sun.
Follow her picks for the best travel experiences -
Published August 9th 2010 by Frommer's (first published April 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Frommer's Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frommer's Japan

Jewel
Though the edition I was using was published in 2008, I've found that "Frommer's Japan" is the best guide to Japan I've read thus far. This guide provides maps of cities that mark each place the book mentions and also marks useful places like railways, subways and post offices. Though the prices have changed, another handy thing this book offers is an estimate on the price of a travel ticket from Tokyo to whatever city. "Travel ticket" includes airplane, the shikansen (bullet train), trains and ...more
Hannah
A comprehensive, no-nonsense (yet fun!) source for travel in Japan. It was valuable for finding places to visit, sleep, and eat during a recent two-week trip, as well as understanding Japanese culture and avoiding horrible faux pas such as blowing one's nose in public.
We did encounter one mistake in the information for the Kyoto Imperial Palace. If you happen to be going, the place to sign up for tours is not in the NE corner of the palace grounds, but rather on the west side. The grounds are en
Zareek
Bought this as a research material for my recent trip to Japan. Unlike other guidebooks that spew facts after facts onto you, this one gives personal opinion on what to do, what to skip, how best to explore a city etc. Well organized, nicely chapter-ed, fun and fact-filled at the same time.

If you feel Lonely Planet is overwhelming, then start with this one first. Once you feel you've got your hands on Japan, advance to Lonely Planet. I did just that, and I couldn't think of any better way to lea
Geng
Excellent guide to Japan. I found that many guidebooks don't have an opinion, i.e. spend a week in every place and no effort is made to explain what your priorities should be. I read a guidebook for advice, not facts! Facts I can get off the Internet. It was refreshing to finally read a book on Japan in which the author clearly stated "not worth your time" or "good museum but this other one in Tokyo is better". I usually rely on Rick Steves, but he only covers Europe, so this book was a lifesave ...more
Sara
Includes a lot of info about tourist destinations, but we need more info specific to Hiroshima prefecture. Glad to know this is at the library - will be reading it again!
Anna
Jak większość praktycznych przewodników Pascala ten również jest bardzo dobry. Najpierw jest prawie sto pięćdziesiąt stron informacji o kraju i informacji praktycznych przydatnych w czasie pobytu w tak odmiennym kulturowo od Polski kraju. Przewodnik jest podzielony na poszczególne regiony z działami Komunikacja, Hotele itp.
Justin
Sep 25, 2007 Justin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers to Japan
Shelves: travel
This was an EXTREMELY helpful book in planning my trip to Japan. I basically used this book to set up the whole 2-week itinerary from scratch. I had a great time and saw a lot of amazing things; this book hit the nail on the head over and over.
Mauri
All hail the book that got my charge and I safely in AND out of Kyoto. A good reference for the whole country, including the less well-known bits, but I would recommend buying the individual city guides if you're going into town.
Megan
Very thorough. Lots of good suggestions about sites to see and a snapshot of the history. Though I did find one restaurant that was not where it was supposed to be......
Ash Mishra
Best travel guide to Japan without a doubt.
Pamela S. Porter
Pamela S. Porter marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Naurhir
Naurhir marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
april
april added it
Mar 17, 2015
Barry D.
Barry D. is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Barry D.
Barry D. marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Hiko
Hiko marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Frommer's Tokyo Frommer's Hong Kong Frommer's Berlin from $50 a Day Frommer's Japan & Hong Kong Frommer's China (Frommer's Complete Guides)