Start by marking “Frommer's Japan” as Want to Read:
Frommer's Japan

Frommer's Japan

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Completely updated, this guide is user-friendly and is a practical resource to Japan's culture, cuisine and customs. It also provides details of the various places to see.
Published August 9th 2010 by Frommer's (first published April 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Frommer's Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frommer's Japan

Jewel
Sep 13, 2012 Jewel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc
Though the edition I was using was published in 2008, I've found that "Frommer's Japan" is the best guide to Japan I've read thus far. This guide provides maps of cities that mark each place the book mentions and also marks useful places like railways, subways and post offices. Though the prices have changed, another handy thing this book offers is an estimate on the price of a travel ticket from Tokyo to whatever city. "Travel ticket" includes airplane, the shikansen (bullet train), trains and ...more
Hannah
Jul 01, 2010 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive, no-nonsense (yet fun!) source for travel in Japan. It was valuable for finding places to visit, sleep, and eat during a recent two-week trip, as well as understanding Japanese culture and avoiding horrible faux pas such as blowing one's nose in public.
We did encounter one mistake in the information for the Kyoto Imperial Palace. If you happen to be going, the place to sign up for tours is not in the NE corner of the palace grounds, but rather on the west side. The grounds are en
Zareek
Jul 02, 2012 Zareek rated it it was amazing
Bought this as a research material for my recent trip to Japan. Unlike other guidebooks that spew facts after facts onto you, this one gives personal opinion on what to do, what to skip, how best to explore a city etc. Well organized, nicely chapter-ed, fun and fact-filled at the same time.

If you feel Lonely Planet is overwhelming, then start with this one first. Once you feel you've got your hands on Japan, advance to Lonely Planet. I did just that, and I couldn't think of any better way to lea
Geng
Excellent guide to Japan. I found that many guidebooks don't have an opinion, i.e. spend a week in every place and no effort is made to explain what your priorities should be. I read a guidebook for advice, not facts! Facts I can get off the Internet. It was refreshing to finally read a book on Japan in which the author clearly stated "not worth your time" or "good museum but this other one in Tokyo is better". I usually rely on Rick Steves, but he only covers Europe, so this book was a lifesave ...more
Sara
Dec 03, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-library
Includes a lot of info about tourist destinations, but we need more info specific to Hiroshima prefecture. Glad to know this is at the library - will be reading it again!
Anna
Oct 27, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journey
Jak większość praktycznych przewodników Pascala ten również jest bardzo dobry. Najpierw jest prawie sto pięćdziesiąt stron informacji o kraju i informacji praktycznych przydatnych w czasie pobytu w tak odmiennym kulturowo od Polski kraju. Przewodnik jest podzielony na poszczególne regiony z działami Komunikacja, Hotele itp.
Justin
Sep 25, 2007 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers to Japan
Shelves: travel
This was an EXTREMELY helpful book in planning my trip to Japan. I basically used this book to set up the whole 2-week itinerary from scratch. I had a great time and saw a lot of amazing things; this book hit the nail on the head over and over.
Mauri
Jul 07, 2007 Mauri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, japan, own
All hail the book that got my charge and I safely in AND out of Kyoto. A good reference for the whole country, including the less well-known bits, but I would recommend buying the individual city guides if you're going into town.
Megan
Dec 03, 2007 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough. Lots of good suggestions about sites to see and a snapshot of the history. Though I did find one restaurant that was not where it was supposed to be......
Ash Mishra
Aug 06, 2011 Ash Mishra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best travel guide to Japan without a doubt.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Mary Jo
Mary Jo rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
LitaVore
LitaVore marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Tory
Tory added it
Apr 29, 2016
Bryan Losey
Bryan Losey marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Asllearner
Asllearner marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Jess
Jess added it
Apr 06, 2016
William Avery
William Avery is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Teresa Sharp
Teresa Sharp marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Isabela Kucinska
Isabela Kucinska marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Cheah
Cheah added it
Oct 11, 2015
S James
S James rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Nida Osman
Nida Osman rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015