Start by marking “Inscenarea lui Roger Murgatroyd” as Want to Read:
Inscenarea lui Roger Murgatroyd

Inscenarea lui Roger Murgatroyd (Evadne Mount Trilogy #1)

Božić je 1935. Na snijegom zametenom imanju ffolkesovih u Dartmooru okupilo se društvo dugogodišnjih prijatelja. Jedini je uljez na toj zabavi Raymond Gentry, tračerski kolumnist, kojega već na početku romana zatječemo prostrijeljena srca na tavanu. Da sve bude još neobičnije, tavanska su vrata zaključana iznutra, jedini prozor zagrađen je rešetkama, a ubojici i pištolju n ...more
Published 2010 by Editura Trei (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Inscenarea lui Roger Murgatroyd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inscenarea lui Roger Murgatroyd

mark monday
Aug 23, 2015 mark monday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murdertime
literary author Gilbert Adair constructs a charming bagatelle that riffs on all of the tropes and standbys of classic murder mysteries written by Agatha Christie et al. we have the Colonel and the Vicar and the Country Doctor and their various wives and we have the eccentric Authoress (named Evadne, clearly to honor Christie's own Ariadne Oliver) and the grand-standing Actress and the Plucky, Pretty Young Thing and her beau, the Stalwart Young American. best of all, we have the murder victim, de ...more
Manny
Feb 26, 2014 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie fans
Recommended to Manny by: MJ Nicholls
"Now," said Evadne Mount in her quiet but implacable way, "I shall ask you all to join me in the library."

"All of us?" asked Gilbert, sardonically lifting an eyebrow.

"That is what I said, Mr. Adair," replied the renowned amateur sleuth.

"But there is only me," said Gilbert.

"Only I," said Evadne with a hint of impatience. "And frankly, how many of you there are is hardly the question. I would like to observe the proprieties, even if you don't."

"But be reasonable!" entreated Gilbert. "How can we ha
Sep 23, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful! Gilbert Adair has somehow managed to poke fun at Agatha Christie and the entire whodunit genre, while at the same time admiring them, and creating a fantastic addition to this same variety of novels. The contrived setting and characters are hilarious, quirky and intelligently crafted; his prose is clever and completely enjoyable to read, particularly in the description of his creations and their various peculiarities: with Evadne Mount, for example, wearing 'shoes so sens ...more

Mar 30, 2012   rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Every sentence in The Act of Roger Murgatroyd screams "Agatha Christie!" An English country house has been snowed in over Christmas, but if that wasn't bad enough, the guests also have a dead body in the attic to deal with.

I'm an avid Christie fan, and having read all her mysteries a dozen times, reading Roger Murgatroyd is like slipping into a pair of well-worn, comfortable slippers. There's nothing new or outrageous here, the book is written in the style of a classic whodunnit. You've got the

Nicolas Chinardet
Jun 17, 2017 Nicolas Chinardet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is subtitled "an entertainment", and this is exactly what it is. As usual, Adair is masterful at playing with the recognised tropes of the genre he has decided to tackle (in this case the old fashioned British murder mystery). As usual he also manages to transcend the pastiche element to create an original and highly enjoyable, beautifully written and crafted piece of writing. Adair was a brilliant writer (and if my experience of meeting him once is anything to go by, a terrible flirt). ...more
Doug Beatty
Jun 10, 2009 Doug Beatty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Poor Raymond Gentry. He shows up unexpectedly on Boxing Day with his new girlfriend, and immediately makes himself instantly unpopular with the entire household. Early one morning the poor lad finds himself in the attic, shot through the neck, with the door locked and the key on the inside. The windows are barred and there seems to be no other way in or out of the room. How did Raymond meet his unpleasant end?
Luckily, a retired Chief Inspector lives close by, and one of the guests is no other t
Gerry
Aug 18, 2009 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A house party on Boxing Day c1935 turns into a murder hunt. Snowed in with no hope of police intervention for some days, the murderer does not realise that a retired chief inspector lives close by.

He pops in to investigate in advance of official sources and with the help of crime novelist Evadne Mount, who does most to unmask the unlikely killer, the mystery is solved.

The build-up is superb, tantalisingly pointing to any number of guests who could have perpetrated the crime until the most unsu
Sjonni
Jul 28, 2011 Sjonni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A frightfully entertaining spoof of the classic english murder mystery.

"As you're doubtless sick to the back-teeth of hearing, Gentry took the absolute pip. He was a beast, a rotter of the first water, a self-infatuated, sallow-complexioned little climber, with his artistic hair and his scarlet lips and his T.S. this and D.H. that and his eternal boasting and bragging about his acquaintance with the Maharani of Rajasthan or the Oom of Oompapah or some other equally improbable pasha or pashette.
Adele
Aug 21, 2012 Adele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness this is just a stand alone book. Possibly one of the least enjoyable books I've read recently. The plot dragged on far too long and few developments occurred along the way until Mount suddenly recalls a key clue and solves the whole thing over the last 20 pages. That character has a rather iritating tendency to waffle and wander from the point. I'll admit the end when it switches to the murderer's thoughts at the very end was quite witty and boosted the book a bit. Pitty it was to ...more
Lucy Sheridan
Sep 27, 2007 Lucy Sheridan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this back-to-back with Agatha Christie's "The murder of Roger Ackroyd" which was apparently the inspiration for Gilbert Adair and I loved them both! I loved the twists and turns and I couldn't guess who the murderer was!
Jade
Jan 22, 2017 Jade rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Pale imitation of Agatha Christie with insufferable characters. I expected this book to be a funny and clever take on the Golden Age but it was a sad parody. All the characters' secrets were absolutes clichés! The main characters kept wittering on about irrelevant stuff that were supposed to be charming, I suppose, but it made reading this book an absolute chore. To top it off the resolution was disappointed, the ending abrupt, and there was some animal cruelty.
dubh
Sep 29, 2011 dubh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-stories
Recht unscheinbar kommt dieses Buch daher – vor allem zwischen den kräftigen Farben der anderen Bücher in der Krimi-Abteilung einer Buchhandlung... Aber zwischen dem Einband versteckt sich ein beinahe altmodisches Puzzle im Stile von Agatha Christie:

Mord auf ffolkes Manor spielt an Weihnachten irgendwann in den 30er Jahren des letzten Jahrhunderts. Auf einem typisch englischen Landsitz hat sich eine kleine illustre Runde eingefunden um gemeinsam das Fest zu begehen... In Kürze sind sie sogar gan
Kay Sachse
May 31, 2014 Kay Sachse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimis
An sich soll der Krimi ja im Stil der großen Agatha Christie geschrieben sein, aber da kommt das Buch wirklich bei Weitem nicht dran, auch wenn der Grundgedanke selbstverständlich an die Queen of Crime erinnert: An einem stürmigen Winterabend sind einige Gäste in ffolkes Manor zum Weihnachtsfest versammelt. Und in einem verschlossenen Raum findet sich am nächsten Morgen die Leiche eines unangenehmen Zeitgenossen, den jeder der Anwesenden wohl gerne ins Jenseits befördert hätte. Also dürfen sich ...more
Cinabru Hoffmann
Jan 21, 2015 Cinabru Hoffmann rated it it was ok
Shelves: varia
Nu am fost niciodata un amator de literatura politista, poate cu exceptia cartilor lui Vlad Musatescu. Desi e discutabil cat de bine le poti incadra in limitele canonice ale genului. De regula, o carte politista are in centru minim un omor (rareori un jaf insotit de omor), o victima sau mai multe rapuse cu sfanta treime a policier-ului - cutit, otrava, pistol - un cerc de suspecti mai mult sau mai putin credibili, un detectiv cu pipa si mustata ori, dimpotriva, cu parul permanent si fusta. Si pa ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

Here's another book I thought I'd like but couldn't get going with. I picked it up at the library to read over Christmas - it's an Agatha Christie pastiche sort of a thing, set in a snowed in manor on Boxing Day. I gave it 50 pages to grab me before I took it back to the library on a snowy February weekend. It delivered on about page 45 and turned into another book I wanted to read to the end without putting it down.

It's full of clever word plays and insights into the Christie stereotypes, but m

Kai
A review in Spiegel magazine (see http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/spiegel...) was celebrating this book for alleged tongue-in-cheek qualities which I didn't recognize. I admit I'm not very familiar with classic crime fiction, so I am sure I've missed lots of allusions. Those that I didn't get were lame enough, though. For a work of the 21st century this book is too much of an imitation of an early 20th century crime novel. If it were more of a reflective, ironic, or what-so-ever reinvention of the ...more
Sara Eames
Nov 07, 2016 Sara Eames rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok book - though it did take some time to get going. It is supposed to be an imitation of the "Golden Age" of detective fiction (think Agatha Christie et al) and it so nearly reaches this point. However, it is let down by weak characterisation and a very slow-moving tale. It did pick up in the second half, but it took a long time to get there. The characters were well-drawn but not many of them were all that likeable. The solution to the murder was, in my mind, a little silly and you ...more
Lawrence
May 16, 2012 Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Paul French has written a history of the murder of the daughter of a former high official in the British legation in China. Her murder occurs in early 1937 as Japan has the city surrounded and the Old China is about to disappear, her body is found outside the foreign section of the city which leads to a fractured effort to solve the crime by British and Chinese police. Her murder allows us a look into life in Peking and how the British only wanted the crime solved if it had been done by a Chines ...more
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Marisa Murray
Aug 14, 2012 Marisa Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read/watched enough Agatha Christies to be quite precise with where Adair borrowed some of his ideas from! It didn't upset me in the slightest & I wholly feel he was paying a great homage to her. This was fun, entertaining & I was on the edge of my train seat waiting to find out who the murderer was at the end! Can't wait to read the others. Also can't wait to find out everyone's thoughts about it at book group tmz night.
Ashley
Jan 16, 2010 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed in this book. It started off great and I thought I was settling in for a fun little mystery but in the end I don't think the book really worked. There were a lot of interesting characters but I didn't really care about any of them and I couldn't stand the ending. I have the authors sequel to this book but now I don't think I will be reading it. It's a shame as I am always on the lookout for new "classic" detective stories.
Juliane
Feb 10, 2009 Juliane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es scheint das perfekte Verbrechen zu sein. Das Opfer liegt in der Dachkammer eines Herrenhauses in Dartmoor. Die Tür ist von innen verschlossen, die Fenster verriegelt.
Draussen wütet ein Schneesturm, während die Gäste von Roger ffolkes gemütlich beim Abendessen sitzen. Alle haben ein Motiv... doch wie gelang es dem Täter, aus der verschlossenen Dachkammer wieder herauszukommen?
Finest british crime!
Astrid Lim
Ok. What seemed like a true gem actually turned out to be a boring (not classic like the synopsis said) whodunit, verrryyyy slow in the middle, anticlimactic ending, and an annoying heroine (who is a mystery writer that should've become Agatha Christie's rival but sadly not even close!!). Anyway. There are two more books as sequels, but I don't think I would like to read them. Not now, at least.
Wilde Sky
May 23, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A retired detective and a crime writer investigate when a horrible man is murdered during a Christmas gathering.

I found this to be a well paced and interesting crime / murder mystery. The plot is a ‘parody’ of period crime dramas, but is effective and held my attention.

If you enjoy ‘old fashioned’ crime thrillers you may enjoy this book.
Tony Gardner
I was entertained by this very Agatha Christie type book. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire book right up to the very end and then it is there that I was let down. The ending was a bit anti-climatic for my taste but overall not a bad book and I would/will probably buy others from this writer.
Željko Erceg
Sorry, meni nije legla. Nit sam osjetio "dah Agathe Christie", niti "parodiju klasičnog detektivnskog romana", jednostavno užasno i iritirajuće dosadan pokušaj svega navedenog. Kažu da je to prvi dio trilogije, al meni se nekako čini da bi kod mene mogao biti i zadnji.
Barbara
Mar 10, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book by chance and loved its titles play on the classic Agatha Christie book so home it had to come.

A joy to read it moves along at a cracking pace with all the twists and turns that one should expect from a homage/parody to the golden age of detective fiction.
Jann Barber
I bought this because it was a take on Agatha Christie's book, The Murder of Roger Akroyd. It involves a locked room murder, and was an interesting, light read (if a murder mystery can be considered a light read).
Kirsty
Feb 13, 2011 Kirsty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I love a smart pastiche, but this wasn't quite clever enough to be either a mystery or an homage. The 'reveal' is disappointing and though there were some nudge-wink po-mo moments, overall it wasn't quite good enough.
Dylstra
Oh look, it's okay, but it was so self-consciously showy that I assumed it was a debut novel until the author's CV at the end. If you want a knowing nod to 1930s mysteries you would be better served by "The Corpse in the Cellar: A 1930s Murder Mystery" by Kel Richards.
Act of Roger 3 4 Feb 24, 2014 10:17PM
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Dark Undertakings (Drew Slocombe, #1)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Tragedy at Law (Francis Pettigrew, #1)
  • The Crimson Circle
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • Głowa Minotaura
  • Malcolm: A Comic Novel
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)
  • The Bishop at the Lake (Blackie Ryan, #16)
  • The Client (Penguin Readers)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)
  • Symposium
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)
  • Zanzibar
Gilbert Adair was a writer, film critic, and journalist.

For more information, please see http://www.contemporarywriters.com/au...
More about Gilbert Adair...

Evadne Mount Trilogy (3 books)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style