Linux Kernel Development

Linux Kernel Development

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Linux Kernel Development" details the design and implementation of the Linux kernel, presenting the content in a manner that is beneficial to those writing and developing kernel code, as well as to programmers seeking to better understand the operating system and become more efficient and productive in their coding. The book details the major subsystems and features of th...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 440 pages
Published June 25th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published September 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Linux Kernel Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linux Kernel Development

Dave
I've been somewhat of a novice kernel hacker for many years now and the few pieces of the kernel that I can say that I understand very well have been small, hard-won victories for me. There are a number of Linux kernel books out there, and most novice hackers will find, as I have, that it's very difficult to just go in "cold" and learn about a specific kernel subsystem from these books. Books like "Linux Kernel Internals", "Understanding the Linux Kernel" and "Understanding the Linux Virtual Mem...more
Elie De Brauwer
This is the second time I'm reading this book and this book is *#$*!ing awesome. Although this book is a first edition (I believe a 3rd edition is available nowadays) this book still applies (partly because Linux is still in a 2.6.x compatible version, it would probably have been a different story if this edition was published in the 2.4.x era) to today's reality AND it's just a pleasure to read this book. It only happens in very rare occasions that an author is capable to describe a technical s...more
Terry Wang
Excellent book even if you are NOT a kernel developer, it really helped me to understand how the Linux kernel works and solved a lot of my misunderstandings (dentries, path, buffer/page cache etc.).

Process Management, scheduling, System calls, MM, VFS, Block I/O layer, Process Address Space, Page Cache and Page Writeback, Modules, Debugging, these chapters are brilliant.
Nicholas
Definitely one of the best book about the linux kernel I have ever read. If you are familiar with the concepts, and want to learn implementation details, this is the book for you.
Kam-Yung Soh
Good intro to Linux Kernel newbies who want to know how the kernel works and how to modify it.

Best used while cross-referencing with current Kernel documentation so you know what in the book is obsolete/deprecated and what APIs have been changed or introduced.
John
I enjoyed learning about design, implementation and interfaces, easy to understand and quite and enjoyable. I just want to see if I can put to use the new information and try coding with it now.
Tsvetomir
Very good introduction on Linux kernel and general operating systems concept. A must-read for everyone willing to involve with the kernel.
Srivatsan
Good book. Anyone with basics, I would personally recommend to first start with this book and then to more advanced material.
Liberty
The only book I can read through about Linux kernel. It is a very very fun journal through a more updated kernel!
John Johnsson
One of the best books I have read about the Linux Kernel.

Gives you a very good overview.

Recommended!
Rahul Iyer
A great read. Concise enough that it covers all the high level concepts equipping one to dive into the code.
Prasanna
It is one of my favorite book on understaning Linux kernel. Though this book is not begginers.
Bob Hancock
Best explanation of the Linux scheduler and multi-level feedback queue.
Zack
Possibly the best technical book ever written
Barry
Feb 22, 2011 Barry marked it as to-read-technical  ·  review of another edition
There is a 3rd edition - read that!
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Raluca Musaloiu-E.
Raluca Musaloiu-E. is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Mahdi
Mahdi is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Balasankar Chelamattath
Balasankar Chelamattath marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Satenik Petrossian
Satenik Petrossian marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kyryl Bilokurov
Kyryl Bilokurov marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • The Little Schemer
  • Purely Functional Data Structures

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robert Love has worked in magazine publishing for 30 years and was the managing editor of Rolling Stone and executive editor of Best Life. He is an adjunct professor of journalism at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. Loves articles have appeared in the New York Times, the New York Observer and the Utne Reader. He lives with his wife in Westchester County, New York."
More about Robert Love...
The Great Oom: The Improbable Birth of Yoga in America Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library The Best Of Rolling Stone Number 13 Tools (Chic Simple) (Chic Simple Components)