Start by marking “Linux Kernel Development” as Want to Read:
Linux Kernel Development

Linux Kernel Development

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"Linux Kernel Development" details the design and implementation of the Linux kernel, presenting the content in a manner that is beneficial to those writing and developing kernel code, as well as to programmers seeking to better understand the operating system and become more efficient and productive in their coding. The book details the major subsystems and features of th ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 440 pages
Published June 25th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published September 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Linux Kernel Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linux Kernel Development

I have been always fascinated with operating systems. After majoring computer science and still not knowing the inside of them, I felt like a joke. So after reading the Code and this, and various other books too, I am coming closer to understanding the inner workings of the hard parts of software architectures.

I have read this book, and currently reading it second time. There is really a lot of interesting things going under the cover. I was in love with CFS and other terms which was always ali
Arvydas Sidorenko
Developing an operating system is hard and so is the material in this book. It is rather technical and doesn't really explain the concept very well. If you have prior experience in BSD or equivalent kernel development, then it will be a peace of cake. The author tends to throw some kernel specific features "A" at you explaining how it is implemented in Linux and expecting that you have the common sense to figure that every kernel has to have feature "A".
I've been somewhat of a novice kernel hacker for many years now and the few pieces of the kernel that I can say that I understand very well have been small, hard-won victories for me. There are a number of Linux kernel books out there, and most novice hackers will find, as I have, that it's very difficult to just go in "cold" and learn about a specific kernel subsystem from these books. Books like "Linux Kernel Internals", "Understanding the Linux Kernel" and "Understanding the Linux Virtual Mem ...more
Elie De Brauwer
This is the second time I'm reading this book and this book is *#$*!ing awesome. Although this book is a first edition (I believe a 3rd edition is available nowadays) this book still applies (partly because Linux is still in a 2.6.x compatible version, it would probably have been a different story if this edition was published in the 2.4.x era) to today's reality AND it's just a pleasure to read this book. It only happens in very rare occasions that an author is capable to describe a technical s ...more
overall, it was a good book. the chapters about VFS and the bloxk IO layer were xonfusing, though. one thing I would like to see is a chapter on turning the kernel/system on/off and reboot ing.
Lahiru Pathirage
Explains well how Kernel works. Great book!!!
This book is a great reference manual for Linux APIs. The chapters are laid out so that readers can ease into the complex subject of Operating System. The book serves as an important source for my Operating System class, and it helps me understand how different pieces fit together.

Linux Kernel code base is big, lack of clear structure to beginners. The book explains in details how each pieces fit together, the functions of each API calls. It is a great book to have by desk for people who do low-
Good high level intro to the Kernel. I read it as part of an OS course and it really sparked my interest both in the Kernel and open source software.

Stop reading and start hacking!
Manavendra Manav
Very good book for beginners to understand the Linux kernel API's and mechanisms. It has a good complete chapter devoted to Bottom Halves mechanisms like SoftIRQ, Tasklets, Work queues, etc. A must read for Linux enthusiasts. However, it lacks exercises and some text is old (2.6.xx) as compared to the rapidly changing Linux kernel versions (3.16.xx). Looking forward to buy the 4th edition.
Terry Wang
Excellent book even if you are NOT a kernel developer, it really helped me to understand how the Linux kernel works and solved a lot of my misunderstandings (dentries, path, buffer/page cache etc.).

Process Management, scheduling, System calls, MM, VFS, Block I/O layer, Process Address Space, Page Cache and Page Writeback, Modules, Debugging, these chapters are brilliant.
Definitely one of the best book about the linux kernel I have ever read. If you are familiar with the concepts, and want to learn implementation details, this is the book for you.
Kam-Yung Soh
Good intro to Linux Kernel newbies who want to know how the kernel works and how to modify it.

Best used while cross-referencing with current Kernel documentation so you know what in the book is obsolete/deprecated and what APIs have been changed or introduced.
I enjoyed learning about design, implementation and interfaces, easy to understand and quite and enjoyable. I just want to see if I can put to use the new information and try coding with it now.
Very good introduction on Linux kernel and general operating systems concept. A must-read for everyone willing to involve with the kernel.
Good book. Anyone with basics, I would personally recommend to first start with this book and then to more advanced material.
The only book I can read through about Linux kernel. It is a very very fun journal through a more updated kernel!
John Johnsson
One of the best books I have read about the Linux Kernel.

Gives you a very good overview.

Rahul Iyer
A great read. Concise enough that it covers all the high level concepts equipping one to dive into the code.
It is one of my favorite book on understaning Linux kernel. Though this book is not begginers.
Bob Hancock
Best explanation of the Linux scheduler and multi-level feedback queue.
Possibly the best technical book ever written
Feb 22, 2011 Barry marked it as to-read-technical  ·  review of another edition
There is a 3rd edition - read that!
Dallas is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2015
Milad marked it as to-read
Prahlad Yeri
Prahlad Yeri marked it as to-read
Bengt Ericsson
Bengt Ericsson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Michal Pokorný
Michal Pokorný marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
  • Beginning Linux Programming
  • C++ Concurrency in Action
  • UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Google, Android, the Linux kernel, book author, Boston
More about Robert Love...