Small Catechism

1529 for the training of children. Luther's Small Catechism reviews The Ten
Commandments, The Apostles' Creed, The Lord's Prayer, Holy Baptism, The Office
of the Keys & Confession, and The Sacrament of the Altar. It is included in
the Lutheran Book of Concord as an authoritative statement of what Lu

Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published 1529)

Jay Miklovic
My wife grew up in a Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and has had this catechism on her shelf for a long time. I decided I would pick it up and give it a read for myself. To put it shortly I was astounded. That is not to say that I am in full agreement with all it contains, but I must say there was very little that I can say in disagreement. I have found this little book to be incredibly helpful, and while I will not likely catechize my own children with it, I will return to it often on various ma...more
Sheila
I come from a family of Lutherans, but we did not attend church much past my young childhood, and I have to admit I was not well versed in many of the doctrines of the Lutheran Church prior to reading this book.

This small book, set up in a question and answer format, does a remarkably good job of setting down Luther's beliefs for the church, with quoted scriptures to back up his reasoning. The book covers the Ten Commandments, the Apostles'Creed, the Lord's Prayer, the Sacraments, Baptism, Conf...more
Christopher
This small work is Martin Luther's brief exposition of Christian beliefs for the laity. This piece impacted later Catholic and Protest catechisms. Luther's compact question and answer format elucidates the Apostle's Creed, the Ten Commandments, and the Lord's Prayer.

The Kindle version translated by R. E. Smith is adequate, but not particularly well arranged. Luther wrote an illuminating preface explaining why he wrote the book. It was not included in this Kindle edition.

In summary, the preface i...more
A.C. Bauch
Finished the old blue version in January 2004 for Adult Confirmation class, just finished the "new" (i.e., maroon covered) version, reading it every morning to my little one. What prompted me to reread this book is that someone who recently became a Christian asked me, "So, what do Lutherans believe?" and I was disappointed and ashamed to realize that I had no succinct, helpful answer for her. I realized that I'd been taking the church's teachings for granted and decided I needed a refresher. Gl...more
Katrina
40 half-pages of catechism, 200 pages of explanation?! that's organized religion for you.

the original portion written in 1580, is a masterfully simple outline of christian doctrine and sacraments, written to be memorized by the illiterate.

this was luther's response to observing his local bishops "insisting on the observance of (their) human ways" and allowing their parishioners to live like "poor animals of the barn yard or pigpen" while "know(ing) practically nothing of Christian doctrine".

Matthew Gunia
I read the Catechism over the course of 10 days as part of my daily devotions. Preface; 10 Commandments; Creed; Lord's Prayer; Baptism; Confession; Sacrament of the Altar; Daily Prayers; Table of Duties; Christian Questions with their Answers. I read the "red questions" in the back occasionally.
Paul Pellicci
May 24, 2010 Paul Pellicci rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: skeptics
Recommended to Paul by: nobody
Luther's catechism differs from what I was taught in catholic school. He includes requirements, quite detailed, which would tend to control the common people i.e. keep them in check. He even differentiates between servants, family, and nobility. The making of men into lambs!
Chris Jesse
It would be a mistake to reject this treasure because you think it is only for Lutherans. Luther cuts right to the bone in exploring the tenants of our faith. Agree or not, it will make you think and reconsider your faith life. It is not a light read, but it is a small book.
Steve
Luther's catechism itself is 39 pages while explanation of the catechism done by Concordia Publishing House is about two hundred pages.
The explanation feels more like an expression of Lutheran theology and piety than it is of Luther's thinking.
Andrew
If you are a Lutheran, this is one of the three books you need to have. The first would be the Scriptures and the second the Book of Concord. The Small Catechism with Explanation gives us the guts of Lutheranism and is an invaluable resource.
Tamara Blickhan
If you want to understand Christianity, this is the book to start reading ... besides the Bible, of course. Martin Luther wrote this to detail the basics of Christianity. It's for the home. It's for everyone.
Trudy
I had to read this as part of becoming a member of the Lutheran Church. Since I am a Calvinist, I can't say that I agreed with it all though at least the LCMS get it right on six-day creation.
Iain
I used this book to easily show what marriage is supposed to be, because some lefty organization I was at thought otherwise. I blamed the book, not myself per se. Owned since 1999.
Ryan Adair
This extremely small catechism from Luther is concise yet helpful. Short explanations on the ten commandants, the Lord's prayer, the Apostles' Creed, as well as baptism and prayers.
Free
I was pleased and found it very informative. I don't think I'm far off from Luther's theology. Excellent question and answers book about the Christian faith and doctrines.
Wayne Larson
One of the great gems of the Reformation. Luther's Small Catechism is simply a beautiful summary of the Christian faith.
Jjewell
This edition is useful, especially, for the supporting Scripture references collected under each section of the Catechism.
Kelsey
Its...well...a catechism. It is pretty straightforward and I like this version better than some of the others I have seen.
Erasmus
Start strenghtening your faith here...
Read it and re-read it severly times and I am not willing to stop...
amy
I have no idea what to rate this one?? Jennifer any ideas?? Remember my D- in "memory work"??
Brandi
Informative but easy to understand. The question-answer format is helpful.
Megan
Luther's Small Catechism With Explanation by Martin Luther (1991)
Joe
Nice treatise on slightly more accurate interpretations of scripture
Carl Hesler
Very helpful. I gave it three stars because it is short.
Katariina
Katariina marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Missy's Crafty Mess
Missy's Crafty Mess is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Cynthia Coletti
Cynthia Coletti marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518
  • Hammer of God
  • Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther
  • Systematic Theology
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church
  • The Institutes of Biblical Law (Volume One)
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • Luther: Man Between God and the Devil
  • The Trinity
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
  • The Christian Tradition 4: Reformation of Church & Dogma 1300-1700
  • Historical Theology
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion
Martin Luther was a German monk, theologian, university professor and church reformer whose ideas inspired the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a spiritual priesthood. According...more
More about Martin Luther...
The Bondage of the Will 95 Theses On Christian Liberty (Facets) Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings Three Treatises

“The people, especially in the villages, know nothing at all of Christian doctrine; and many pastors are sadly unfit and incompetent to teach. Yet all are called Christians, have been baptized, and enjoy the use of the Sacrament, although they know neither the Lord's Prayer, nor the Creed, nor the Ten Commandments...” 2 likes