Start by marking “A Tailor-Made Bride” as Want to Read:
A Tailor-Made Bride

A Tailor-Made Bride

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  8,705 Ratings  ·  673 Reviews
A lively historical romance set in 1880s Texas; sparks fly when a dressmaker who values beauty tangles with a liveryman who condemns vanity.
Published June 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers

Anne Osterlund
Jan 26, 2011 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah is a dressmaker who has always worked for someone else. And dreamed silently of her own shop sometime in the distant future. But when a surprise benefactress turns that dream into the present, Hannah leaves behind everything she knows for the isolated town of Coventry, Texas.

And lands, of course, in the arms of J.T. Tucker (aka Jericho, though he does NOT care for that name). Which is naturally why Hannah starts to use it.

She really can’t help herself.

After all, Jericho just begs to be ma
Jae Roth
Jun 28, 2011 Jae Roth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this is a Christian Romance. I'm annoyed at the people who left one star reviews because of that. Do your homework people! You wouldn't walk into a dress store and pull out something cause you liked the color. You'd check to see if it fit you. The story is published by Bethany House. Bethany House is an inspirational/Christian publisher.

That aside, the story itself does leave room for criticism. Pacing is painfully slow and there is very little happening in the story. Even the mome
Renee
Sometimes I'm in the mood for a sweet, gentle romance with a dashing hero and this book, A Tailor-Made Bride fits the bill! Too boot it's a debut novel for author Karen Witemeyer! All I can say is if this book is that good, what's her next one going to be like?

This story, set in the late 19th century, features beautiful seamstress and dressmaker, Hannah Richards and rough, sometimes gruff liveryman, Jericho "J.T." Tucker. If you like a thoroughly modern heroine and a stubborn hero look no furthe
Marklessgirl
Feb 05, 2016 Marklessgirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It talks a lot about if fashion and pretty colors are Biblical or okay it was really interesting! And the love storys are awesome! And the tiny bit of mystery is fun!!!! The Characters really come to you! And I don't think they are the same old thing,like I kind of thought in the other book by her that the characters where a lot like other characters I have read before, like in this one maybe a little like some I have read But not much and they are not stereotypical at all. I ...more
Alyssa
Apr 01, 2013 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's 2 am and I just finished A Tailor Made Bride and oh my goodness!! Just like every other story Karen has penned, I LOVED it!! Utterly worthy of more than five stars. A more full review to come soon.
Margaret Metz
Mar 15, 2010 Margaret Metz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books I looked forward to ever since I saw the cover art last year. The more I read about it, the more I wanted to read it. It didn't disappoint.

I know you shouldn't judge a book by a cover ~ but how many of us do just that? We either are drawn to the gorgeous dress (like on this one) or repelled by what we don't like on another. It's like that in life too. Jericho Tucker has done just that in this book. He takes one look at Hannah Richards and sees all the things he hates a
Margaret Chind
Oct 12, 2009 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Kate Witemeyer
First time novel for Karen Witemeyer has earned a permanent space on my keeper shelf and a guaranteed to-buy list selection for future titles such as Head in the Clouds. The Bethany House cover artists out did themselves on these covers and the story within in skilled to match right on par. I was pleased and tickled to giggles by the humor and personality within the characters in the pages of A Tailor-Made Bride. I am so glad to have discovered Karen's writing and cannot wait patiently enough fo ...more
Ririn
All that I think about when i finished reading this book, that this is a calm read. If you need something to escape the turbulence of most romance novel, then you should read this one.

A sweet story about a dressmaker and a liveryman. Hannah Richards got a chance to realiaze her dream of opening her own shop when a patron of hers deeded the shop to her. So she arrived in Coventry, Texas with the hope to be a successful dressmaker. Jericho "J.T." Tucker tried to resist his growing attraction for t
Casey
Aug 14, 2010 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With a prose that stands up and grabs the reader’s attention, this debut novel did not disappoint this reader!

I found great delight within the pages of TAILOR MADE BRIDE. Jericho, Hannah and Cordelia, even the villains and secondary characters were brought to life. I loved the word usage, the character portrayal, their interactions, it all shouted to me that this book is one to be remembered.

Jericho and Hannah’s relations are funny and romantic. What a hero! And what a romantic chemistry, it mad
Emily Tuckett
Jun 28, 2012 Emily Tuckett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world needs more realistic happily ever afters. So if you are looking for that perfect feel-good, chick-flick-ish novel then A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer will satisfy better than a cupcake scented bubble bath. This Historical-Fiction romance is clean and delightful. The main characters are very religious, so don’t be surprised by respectful references to God. The banter is witty and the characters rich in integrity.

Witemeyer’s writing was above average, but it was the plot that con
Karen
Feb 13, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah is the new dressmaker in town, trying to get her shop to make a profit. Jericho (JT) is the town's liveryman whose mother left them and loved pretty things more than her family. Can Hannah be a good businesswoman as well as a good christian example? Can JT leave the past alone and start a future with someone that make pretty things?
Kathy
Sep 17, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Christian Fiction - A squeaky clean, some what preachy, syrupy sweet, predictable, old-fashioned, historical romance. A little slow but enjoyable.

Content: Squeaky Clean
Deanne Patterson
Another rip roaring good time by Karen Witemeyer !
Jessica  (My Not So Vacant Shelf)
I don’t know what it is, but I love timepiece novels. When something we take today as being normal everyday behaviour, like a kiss, is put into a situation where it is in fact not innocent and holds great meaning, it makes the whole idea of romance right down to a kiss mean so much more and seems to captivate me whole heartedly. We seem to take those simple touches, kisses, or gestures for granted these days, maybe because they are so freely done with modern day society that we don’t realize the ...more
Bethany
Jul 24, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I've read a two of Karen's books {Short-Straw Bride & Head In The Clouds} previous to reading A Tailor-Made Bride, and really enjoyed them! But I liked A Tailor-Made Bride even better! I can't quite choose whether I like Short-Straw Bride or A Tailor-Made Bride best, but it's very close! I literally fell in love with this book and was so glad for the opportunity to be able to borrow it from our local library.

The biggest of my "favorites" with this book would probably be how much Karen inco
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I actually got this book over a year ago when it was on sale (for free) on Amazon. I’m not sure why I didn’t read it at the time, I probably wasn’t in a western mood, but now I’m sad I waited so long to read it. I thought this one was super cute. I just loved Hannah and JT. I admired Hannah for a lot of reasons; she’s someone I would want to be more like. She is so naturally kind to people and sees the good in everyone. I also liked her independence and how brave she was to move to a new city an ...more
Beth
What a fun, sweet read! I needed just such a book at the time that I read this one. The characters are endearing, and the romance is sweet.

The main character, Hannah, is opening a dress shop in Texas, and I really liked her determination to succeed in that business. Despite his misgivings of dresses and fancy attire, J.T. finds himself falling for her and their mishaps and bungling of situations were charming. I do feel that they fell in love a bit quickly. Although the progression of their rela
Gwendolyn Gage
Hannah Richards arrives in Coventry Texas with the deed to a dress shop, energized and ready to live her dream of ministering to others through her skill in making beautiful clothes. The gruff livery owner across the street is a walking contradiction--he snubs Hannah for promoting vanity to the Coventry women and owning a property he's been trying to buy for years, but then goes out of his way to perform little acts of kindness for her.

I enjoyed Jericho and Hannah immensely. They were unique and
Vickie McDonough
Being a gal who is only comfortable in my jeans, I wondered how I’d like a book where the heroine is a dressmaker, but let me tell you, I loved A Tailor-Made Bride! Hannah is a spunky, determined heroine who isn’t about to let a narrow-minded man like J.T. stop her from achieving her dream. From the moment they meet, there is explosive sparring between the two. He’s totally against her choice of professions and doesn’t mind telling her. She thinks he’d the rudest man she’s met, and hates that he ...more
Nicole
Dec 12, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful read, this one quickly made it to the top of my "Witemeyer List" (alongside Head in the Clouds). I so enjoy this author and her lovable, comical style of writing. The characters are consistent, even as they grow, and are sure to steal your heart with smiles, laughs, and a few heartfelt sighs.
Connie
Mar 11, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, fun romance. I love these books when I am having a bad day. I love knowing that I can fulfill my love of a fun romantic story but can be sure that I will be uplifted at the same time with no pages that I have to skip!
Jenny Q
Audiobook: It's easy to skim over tedious detail and dialogue when you're reading a physical book, not so easy when you have to listen to it. I gave up about a third of the way through this one. Too much tedious detail and not enough action. Too slow and too light for my tastes.
Hannah
An enjoyable story. I can't quite figure out why I missed reviewing it when I had the library ebook last month, so it's not terribly fresh in my mind...but I will definitely reread it and will be looking for a good deal on my own hard copy.
SheLove2Read
May 03, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A good read. I feel like the author added in at least 75 pages of unnecessary fluff towards the end, which brings my review down to a 3 star, but I did enjoy it.
Amanda
Jul 20, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I DID NOT WANT THIS BOOK TO END!! From cover to cover, Karen Witemeyer just blew me away! She has the "character depth" of Tamera Alexander and the "romantic charm" of Deeanne Gist, combined with a beautiful, refreshing style all her own.

This is Karen's first novel, and that fact alone will leave you even more wide eyed and slack jawed at her abilities. Most importantly, you will also find the Lord's "thumbprint" on every page. Her words ministered to my spirit in such a deep, penetrating way.
Carol
Mar 18, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The characters were richly developed with unique personalities.

The main characters are Hannah, a seamstress who impresses an elderly woman customer so much that she is willed the deed to a shop. Jericho (J.T.) who runs a lively service in the small town of Coventry, Texas in the 1880s. There are several minor characters who added much to the humor and inventiveness to this book.

This book probably classifies as a Christian historical romance. What
Rachelle Cobb
Jan 24, 2012 Rachelle Cobb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

What I Loved

I started reading A Tailor-Made Bride immediately after I finished Head in the Clouds. Though nothing could send Head in the Clouds toppling from it's place at the top of my favorites list, A Tailor-Made Bride certainly catapulted onto that list, as well.

Just as hysterically funny and well-researched as the other, A Tailor-Made Bride is an engaging read that will leave you thinking about the characters long after you've turned the last page--which in my estimation makes it the best
Valerie Comer
Jan 05, 2013 Valerie Comer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is beauty a sin or a gift from God?

J.T. Tucker is of the opinion that beauty, or at least the pursuit of it, is evil. It was all his mother pined for. . .which had the affect of ending his parents' marriage. So when a sweet young lady (pretty, too) comes to Coventry, Texas, to open a dressmaking shop, J.T. is upset. What's wrong with women like his younger sister wearing serviceable, decent clothing? Why fill their heads with notions they don't need?

Hannah Richards knows God brought her to Coven
I first want to say thanks to the publisher and author for sending me a copy of the book. I loved the cover of the book right off the bat. The story was great. The characters were loveable and ones you could identify with. I loved how the author incorporated different women throughout the bible and the metaphor to Jericho's name. Hannah is a stubborn, determined dressmaker who's been given a gift to open her own shop in Coventry, Texas. When she meets Jericho, the sparks fly. Little does she kno ...more
Kathie (katmom)
May 14, 2011 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
I LOVED THIS...totally.

It was charming, well-written and is going on my FAVORITE BOOKS shelf.

Hannah has been blessed with a shop to open her dress making business. JT (Jericho Tucker) had wanted to buy the property so that he could let the lady next door who runs a laundry service move in. Her shop was a total heap.

THAT's the kind of guy JT is.

He makes assumptions as to what kind of woman Hannah is. He assumes she's high maintenance and wants to lead "proper God fearing" women astray.

Takes a bi
Sinopsis en Español 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 09:47AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 12:38PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 07, 2014 04:16PM
Christian Fiction...: ❀Caitlyn and Melanie❀ A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer 25 13 Jul 11, 2013 12:03PM
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Love on the Line
  • The Vigilante's Bride
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • A Heart Most Worthy
  • Courting Morrow Little
  • The Inheritance
  • A Suitor for Jenny (A Rocky Creek Romance, #2)
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • A Hope Undaunted (Winds of Change, #1)
For those who love to smile as they read, bestselling author Karen Witemeyer offers warmhearted historical romance with a flair for humor, feisty heroines, and swoon-worthy Texas heroes. A transplant from California, Karen came to Texas for college, met a cowboy disguised as a computer nerd, married him, and never left the state that had become home.

Winner of the National Reader's Choice Award, H
More about Karen Witemeyer...

“One day I'm going to catch you in a full-blown grin, Mr.Tucker," she said, wagging a finger at him, "and when I do, watch out because I'm going to crow in victory." "We all need goals in life, Miss Richards." J.T. swung two boards up onto his shoulder and peered down at her. "Mine's to get this stuff delivered before the first snow falls. You think I got a chance at making that happen?” 25 likes
“He unlaced his arms and took a step forward. "You hurt?"
"Not badly." She tried to smile, but her lips only curved on one side. "My main problem is that I'm stuck to a cactus."
(...)
"How'd you manage to get tangled up with a cactus?" J.T. crouched beside her and started extricating her from the prickly plant.
"Well, believe it or not, I was on my way to apologize to you when a prairie-dog hole jumped up and grabbed my shoe heel.”
23 likes