The Texas-Israeli War: 1999

The Texas-Israeli War: 1999

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  7 reviews
On August 12, 1992, England's tiny nuclear arsenal fell on Ireland, South Africa and finally China. Instantly the planet went up in flames. In the first half of the War of '92, half of the Earth's population vanished. The United States was reduced to a vast underpopulated land - and, to make matters worse, Texas had seceded and taken it's precious oil reserves. But Israel,...more
Published September 12th 1977 by Del Rey (first published September 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Texas-Israeli War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Texas-Israeli War

Checkman
I always like reading books written in the past that are set in a "futuristic" time-period. Especially if that futuristic date is now history itself. Of course they often get things wrong. Actually they get everything wrong. But what I like about them is how they show the reader (or viewer if it's a movie/television series) what the concerns and fears were at the time of the book's inception. Fascinating stuff.

The Texas-Israeli War:1999 takes place in a world which saw a limited nuclear exchang...more
Allan
If you enjoy war stories this might be a good book to read. It is very short, it feels like most of the book is wasted on them driving over wastelands and talking. The characters spend more time talking about the events going on the in story then any actually story taking place. The only serious action, the battle to rescue the president is a measly 20 pages.

These negatives of poor storytelling aside it is an interesting view on what life was like in the 1970s. The depiction of devastation afte...more
Sean
An imaginative story. More of a Texan war of secession in a post-apocalyptic world where Israelis work as mercenaries for both sides.

Good characters, backstory was given in short bursts when needed instead of long tedious explanations of how the world got to be the way it was.

Steady stream of action and few dull moments. Some over-the-top metaphors and extra-flowery prose scattered throughout that would drive some people I know crazy but I found to be entertaining and almost poetic. Also a quic...more
Craig
I read this when it first appeared and liked it immensely. I still love the cover, with hostile-looking Native Americans riding on horseback towards a tank that has a Star of David painted on the turret, all underneath a tagline banner that proclaims "SCIENCE FICTION IN THE GRAND TRADITION". I've skimmed through it several times in the intervening years and still get a kick... this was a good one.
Todd Lang
I read this sci-fi, military future novel back in 8th grade and I loved it. I'd probably hate it now, but the whole idea of Israeli mercenaries helping Texas militias fight for freedom is good, clean fun.
Edgar
What an engaging piece of pulp and how beautifully written. Even though I found the action bits hard to follow, the concept and the alternate history (future) chronicles were brilliant.
Zachary Krug
The title says it all.
Count Boxer
Count Boxer marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Nbar
Nbar marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Suyash Sonwalkar
Suyash Sonwalkar marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
TK421
TK421 marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Sstump
Sstump added it
Feb 26, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Estcla
Estcla added it
Feb 21, 2014
jtrowe
jtrowe marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Matthew Carlin
Matthew Carlin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014