Start by marking “Cum Laude” as Want to Read:
Cum Laude

Cum Laude

2.54 of 5 stars 2.54  ·  rating details  ·  1,474 ratings  ·  220 reviews
They're here for a higher education . . .
and you won't believe how far they'll go. Dexter College is a small liberal arts college in the quiet town of Home, Maine. But it won't stay quiet for long with this group of freshmen. There's Shipley--blonde and beautiful, the object of envy and more than a little lust. Determined to assert herself and to shed her good-girl image,
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cum Laude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cum Laude

Michael
I heard the Gossip Girl creator wrote an adult novel... I heard wrong. The book's laughably bad. It's inexplicably set in the early 90's, which makes Von Whatever look like she's trying to imitate Prep or The Secret History (far superior books about schools set in New England and adjustment thereto), but there are only enough period details to make it seem stale (Juicyfruit gum! Bill Clinton!), rather than an actual depiction of 1992. VZ took the most annoying characters from Gossip Girl-- let's ...more
Kim
I gave up, I just can't read this without wanting to throw my Kindle around. I don't want to hurt my baby, so I decided to move on to something better.
Dana
Reading this book, I can see how my reading tastes have drastically changed over the past few years. This was a huge struggle to get through. None of the characters were likable, there was no moral, no theme, no substance. Gah.
Bookevin
My first ever 1-star rating. I don't even know what I read. I didn't even get it. The plot was nonexistent and I found the characters dull, even when they are high on drugs and alcohol. Wasted my time, I could have read something more worthwhile. Tsk.
Tiffany
I have always been a big fan of the Gossip Girl series of books, so when I read a magazine review revealing Cecily von Ziegesar's so-called 'adult' fiction, I was excited. I went out and bought it immediately, and admittedly, it sat on the shelf for a bit. While I was able to devour this book in less than 24 hours, I found that it was because I was starving for something... unique.

As far as I can tell, von Ziegesar's books all have a common element. They usually depict well-off, ridiculously spo
Tiny Pants
Oh, CvZ. What were you thinking with this one? Actually, scratch that. I know exactly what you were thinking. "I can write a novel. I came up with an idea that spawned a bestselling young adult series, and a television show whose popularity strains credulity. I can write a novel." She went to some sort of writers' retreat, set it in 1992 (which is likely around when she herself attended college), and there we have it.

And of course, her agent and publisher were like, "absolutely, sweetie! You so
Adrianne
I don't think there was a plot. Pretty useless. At least I only got this from a sale.
Ari
Fav quote: "To her surprise, college was even lonelier than high schol. At least in high school she had her parents to blame for the lousy state of things. It seemed that at college you had to be in love not to be lonely." Eliza, pg. 89. Well that's a ringing endorsement for college social life

I read this book in about 1 hr or 2, I honestly don't know what happened or why or who the characters were. I picked this book up because I wanted something set in college, but not too serious. I liked th
Reut
Original review at http://reutreads.wordpress.com/2011/0...

Cum Laude is by the same author who writes the Gossip Girl books, so I thought when I picked this up, it would be "Gossip Girl goes to college."

However, I had no idea that not only is Cum Laude not really a YA novel, it's a--get this-- satire of teenagers.

The only good thing I have to say about this book is that it has a great cover, not representative of the book but still, and the page layout is gorgeous. Okay, maybe not the only good
Chloé
It was a good book for the price I payed!!!...which was 5 dollars :/ but I actually quite enjoyed the story line and the writing, although I was always looking for something more, you know? Like that moment in the story where you close your eyes, drop the book and say out loud so that everyone can hear "did that just b*%ping happen?!?" I guess it was missing a little excitement or MAJOR event. :) :/ but still pretty good!
Miss December
*This contains spoilers

I picked this up to support Cecily von Ziegesar- the writer of the immensely popular Gossip Girl series. Plus I'd actually met her in a book signing and made it a personal goal to support writers like her. She was nice to me and talked with me for a good ten minutes.

That being said, this book is boring and I didn't care about any of the characters, which by the way, are hollow, uninteresting shells of characters she'd previously dreamed up in the Gossip Girl series. This
Pamela Hubbard
This was an interesting book with a strange cast of characters. I feel like the author split her attention among the many characters too much and that left the book a little shallow. It was a good commentary on the time and place and culture but I just didn't connect to the story.
Madison
Half way through with this book so far and it is terrible! There are 6 main characters, a hippy rebel, a shy nerd, a stupid blonde prep, an annoying jock, a dark and gothic girl, and a druggie. I don't think I have ever read a more unoriginal book in my life. None of the characters have any depth to them. The only way you can even tell that the characters are different from one another is when the author describes what they look like, other than that they're all sarcastic assholes and pretty muc ...more
Michael
I bought this book looking for fun story. Unfortunately this book is the complete opposite of it and there's no plot-point. I just decide to stop and recommend the book to nobody.
Marie-Eve Côté
Way to much drugs in that books. I was excepting so much more from it.
Rebecca Pierzchala
I want to give this book zero stars. Or possible negative five stars.
Jessica
Full review/potential spoilers alert: http://bookgirl.co.vu/post/7648934458...

I’m a bit torn on what rating I’d like to give this novel because I feel as though I am judging it a bit too harshly. So, let's consider it a 2.5 rating from me, shall we?

Cum Laude is meant to be the first adult novel that Cecily has done but it reads far too similar to her young adult style of writing we come to find in the Gossip Girl book series. It’s shaky, at best. But the story itself is by no means the worst thi
Nina
Cum Laude is the first book I read that is written by Cecily von Ziegesar. Shocking right? I mean I am a massive fan of the TV show Gossip Girl, but never read a Gossip Girl book. So when I found out that Cecily von Ziegesar written this book I knew I had to buy a copy of it.

The characters were interesting. They all had their own secrets and insecurities to hide. There wasn’t any depth to any of these characters, but there wasn’t any need for it.
I couldn’t relate to the characters, but I could
Erica
My Review for my blog "Leituras & Fofuras" => http://bit.ly/xINF8V

"Conhece-te a ti mesmo" é o lema da faculdade Dexter College. Shipley está pouco ligando pra ele bem como a maioria dos calouros. Ela quer se reinventar depois de viver por 18 anos uma vida certinha para os pais.
-Qual o problema de ser virgem? -disse Shipley corando.
Os três meninos a olharam com uma excitação maldisfarçada. Shipley ainda era virgem?
-Aí, sabe aquela luz azul no alto da torre da capela? -disse Tom. -Bem, e
Nely
This is my first von Ziegesar novel. I've never read any of her Gossip Girl series and I thought it would be fun to start with something adult and then make my way to some of her YA books. I thought wrong. I personally did not like this book and therefore now really have no want to read anything else by her.
By reading the synopsis of the book you can only describe it as promising. I mean, yea, I like reading books about kids in college. The drinking, the parties, the sex, the "finding yourself"
Babi

Com Louvor conta a história de Shipley, uma garota que vai para faculdade e quer reconstruir sua imagem, ela só quer se divertir, se enturmar, fazer bons amigos.

A Capa é linda, claramente quem está na capa é a Shipley, ela é uma personagem muito confusa, "sofre" por estar à sombra de seu irmão encrenqueiro e quer um novo começo, quer se divertir na faculdade, não quer ser a certinha que era no colégio e quer... Perder a virgindade com um cara da faculdade, mesmo que
Utami
I know and I realize that I read a lot of fantasy books, that to some extent some people would say that it’s already too much. And so, for a variation, I picked this one out. One of the reason is because of the author. I love The Gossip Girls series. I really do. And another reason is, I was curious about a university life in the USA.
Meh. What a disappointment. I can hardly finish it.
The story was about 4 young people going to Dexter, to finally experience the college life by themselves. Oh my
Daisy Chain Books
Cum laude is the first book I’ve read by Cecily Von Ziegesar and it’s a fun read, although in terms of coming of age tales it’s pretty formulaic and nothing you haven’t read before. That said, I found it pretty compulsive reading, and it made me want to read more from Von Ziegesar. This is a wild ride through college life with a very interesting cast of characters, to say the least.

All your coming of age stalwarts are present and correct in this book. There’s Shipley, who is Serena Van Der Woods
Monique
I am sorry to say that I really did not like this book at all...I was a gossip girl fan and indulge in the show on the cw as a guilty pleasure if you will and have marked to read the gossip girl and it girl series...Now I'm worried that they will be similar to this, but, on a ya level.

I was so excited when I first recieved this book, I loved the cover and it immediately said read me...And I can not resist a book that calls to me that's how I read...the books pick me I do not pick them...

It star
Manoja K.
I'm giving this book two stars, and that is being very, very generous. I'm basing my rating on storyline only because to be honest, this book was badly written. And this was not Gossip Girl bad (totally trashy and you can't help but love it). This was just bad and the only reason she got it published was because of the status she obtained by writing Gossip Girl.

The soryline was okay. I mean, it didn't really go anywhere and it didn't really follow what was said on the book jacket. Well, I guess
Kaysey
Okay, so when I saw the book in Chapters one day I nearly lost my breath I was so shocked. I hadn't even heard of the book and since my other favourite series by her, It Girl, came to a end I have to say I was scavenging for something Cecily Style to read. So on impulse I shed like 25 bucks for the hardcover book thinking it'd live up to my expectations.

It crashed. Hard. Like I'm still trying to get over how much I hated the book without giving the whole book away. Shipley is kind of typical. Go
Jessica Lawlor
Well, I really was very excited for this book because I’m a huge von Ziegesar fan. I adored the Gossip Girl series and I enjoyed reading The It Girl series, as well. Cecily von Ziegesar’s stories of the wealthy and privileged usually draws me right in, but this story did not have the same effect.

In Cum Laude, von Ziegesar’s first book for adults, we are introduced to the beautiful Shipley who is off to college. We then meet two guys who are completely obsessed with Shipley, one a preppy rich guy
Chloe
Jan 08, 2012 Chloe rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Not even complete fools.
Shelves: 2012
As I'm trying to challenge myself to read 150 books this year, particularly books I might not have otherwise read, I made a resolution to finish what I start by not dropping any book once I've read the first page. I didn't think my resolve would be tested so soon!

I was really fond of the Gossip Girl and It Girl series' so when I heard about this book I thought 'this could be interesting' and picked up. Boring plots with boring characters - I series doubt I need to say anything more than that (al
Megan Schr
I recently read Cum Laude by Cecily von Ziegesar. As a avid fan of gossip girl, Ziegesar’s popular book and television series, I thought this would be a good read a well. The first couple chapters went pretty slow, introducing all five main characters and their back stories. There was a definite comparison to gossip girl and Cum Laude. Two girls, a blonde and brunette that always compete for one of the three boy’s attention.
I read this book very slowly; it is incredibly boring and predictable.
Shea
I wanted to read this book because it was marketed as being an adult novel from the author of Gossip Girl. First of all, I wouldn’t really consider it an adult novel. At the same time, I’m not sure it’s really appropriate for young adults either (a good part of the storyline focuses on sex and drugs). So, I’m not really sure who the targeted audience is supposed to be.

The book is about 5 kids at a small liberal arts college in Maine . I had to check this out from the library two times because I
  • The Temptress Four
  • When Rose Wakes
  • Little Black Lies
  • The Julian Game
  • Star Power (Talent, #3)
  • In Too Deep (The Elite, #2)
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • Sussex Drive: A Novel
  • Prom Queen Geeks
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)
  • Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel
  • The Ivy (The Ivy, #1)
  • The Secret to Lying
  • Hancock Park: A Novel
  • After Dark (Vamps, #3)
  • Friend Is Not a Verb
  • I'll Take What She Has
  • Her and Me and You
Cecily grew up in Manhattan and went to an all-girl's school on the Upper East Side.
She resides in Brooklyn with her husband Richard, the Deputy Director of the Public Art Fund, their children, Agnes and Oscar, and their two Cornish Rex cats. Von Ziegesar also owns an Appaloosa horse, Golden Rain. She is dreams of having a 'ranch full of cattle' when retired.

More about Cecily von Ziegesar...
Gossip Girl (Gossip Girl, #1) You Know You Love Me (Gossip Girl, #2) You're the One That I Want (Gossip Girl, #6) All I Want is Everything (Gossip Girl, #3) Because I'm Worth It (Gossip Girl, #4)