Start by marking “Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags” as Want to Read:
Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags

Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Celebrated designer Amy Butler's most coveted products are her handbag sewing patterns. In Style Stitches, Butler presents an array of new bag designs for her fans across the globe. The book offers 12 basic patterns with enough variations to achieve 26 unique looks. Ranging from chic clutches and delicate wristlets to pretty hobo bags and handy coin purses, with instructio ...more
Published August 25th 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Amy Butler's Style Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amy Butler's Style Stitches

Challis
Dec 31, 2011 Challis rated it liked it
I see why these were all included in a book instead of sold separately like usual. There really weren't any bags I wanted to make after looking through this book. Just browsing through the reviews, it seems I am not the only one who felt that way. Lovely photos and gorgeous fabric, of course. The instructions seem detailed. I might attempt a few of the nesting bags just for practice on the technique, and the reversible daily shopper could be modified I think to be useful. The rest of them I thou ...more
Lauren
Feb 28, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok
It is hard to rate this book. In some ways it is really great. For an affordable price you get 12 patterns and the bags are really functional, sturdy and good looking. However, these bags are not for beginners, even though the book leads you to believe all levels can use this book. It it really for intermediate and on sewers. I could not have gotten through the first bag had I not been taking a sewing class teaching some of the methods and a teacher I can ask questions to. Also, these bags are n ...more
Destiny
Jul 11, 2012 Destiny rated it it was amazing
I have made 3 of the bags in this book and just love them. I consider myself an intermediate sewist and found the projects and techniques in this book refreshingly challenging, yet doable. The instructions were much more clear than other Amy Butler patterns that I have used and I had no problems following them. These bags are not quick or cheap projects, but are quality, lasting bags with a very detailed, high-end look. I enjoyed making the bags and now love carrying around these beautiful, func ...more
Colleen
Sep 10, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it
I have made every bag in Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags as part of a couple of sewing bloggers' sew-along series. I was very much a beginner when I started sewing my way through the book, but all the bags were completed successfully. As is the norm for Amy Butler bags, the patterns use a lot of interfacing and have many pieces. Most of these bags are not quick or inexpensive to make, but they are stylish and different, with interesting details.

Amy Butler bags tend
Margaret Chind
Apr 04, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it
My primary craft of choice is quilting (other than cross stitch) but that does not stop me from hoping one day to add various sewing skills to my stash of talent. As a quilter I have become familiar with Amy Butler's fabrics and patterns in passing. When I saw this book I was delighted to take a peak. Having a pattern book on a spiral is absolutely fabulous and necessary! I am ecstatic about that, and the fact that there is a hardcover cover to go over top to keep it nice on a shelf is wonderful ...more
Melissa
Dec 30, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty
The bags in this book are super cute, as is the pretty photography of the finished pieces! I'm a big fan of Butler's style and fabrics, but her instructions don't work that well for me. I'm going to try one of the easier projects in this book just the same, because I love the bag, and hopefully it will turn out well.

Her instructions are super detailed when it comes to cutting out the pieces, and then they seem to get less detailed as you get to the actual sewing part.
That, and there are very f
Lesli
Aug 02, 2014 Lesli rated it liked it
12 projects. Progressively more difficult. Pull out patterns included. Extensive fabric reference guide. Glossary. Teeny, tiny text in a very light color. Text heavy. Beautiful photos. Feels like an ad for Amy Butler fabrics.
Mckinley
Mar 14, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft, non-fiction, sew
What is it about bags? I have too many already but I love looking at patterns and dream of making some.
Great patterns and lovely fabrics. Like that they are divided in levels of difficulty.
I'm going to pass on these.
Chantal
Feb 12, 2016 Chantal rated it liked it
There are only 2 bags that are "easy" to make. The others are intermediate, advanced or experienced level pieces. I am not sure I would want to make them anyway.
I love her fabric though!!!
Michelle
Jan 06, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-ficiton, sewing
This is a hard rating for me. I'd give it 2.5 but I may go back and look at the book again and re-evaluate my rating.I love the pictures of all the finished products and honestly I can only see myself making one of the bags. It was similar to a single pattern I bought off of IThinkSew, so I didn't get the book. I had fun thumbing through it. None of these patterns would be a beginners level. I consider myself at an intermediate level but I still have some stuff to learn.
Rebecca
Apr 13, 2012 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: sewing
This rating is based on that fact that though I have tried to like Amy Butler's patterns, I just can't. I personally thought every bag in this book was waaaayyy over the top. There wasn't a single bag I would have made and then used with glee and delightment. Having said that. Amy is an amazing pattern maker. Her fabrics continue to outshine everything around them and she is a woman who has staying power. I just don't like her stuff (quilts, bags, changing pat, baby toys...) Call it a difference ...more
April Wilson
Jan 28, 2015 April Wilson rated it it was amazing
Great patterns
Rachel
May 12, 2016 Rachel rated it it was ok
While this book has great instructions, most of the bags are just way to big for my taste. Like a 21 by 17-inch handbag big. I actually think a lot of the bags featured in this book are cute I just don't know when I'd use them. The purse I currently use is 5 by 7 and it holds everything I need for everyday. I do occasionally use larger tote bags for things like grocery shopping and hauling library books so maybe I could make on to use for that.
Amy Pfeiffer
Aug 04, 2011 Amy Pfeiffer rated it really liked it
I love this book!! I didn't give it 5 stars because the patterns are more difficult than they state. I finished the very first pattern in the book (a "beginner" pattern), and although I am technically a beginner sew-er, I am super adventurous. It really should be marked as intermediate. The patterns are great though, and so modern and cute!
Nikki
Jan 02, 2011 Nikki rated it it was ok
Picked this up at the library unsure whether I was allowed to cut up the patterns, but after looking more closely at the bags, there wasn't really anything I wanted to make. The giant tasseled circle bag made me laugh and also hope that I see someone carrying it someday so I can laugh again.
Kemsha
Sep 23, 2012 Kemsha rated it liked it
I like this book, it's got some great ideas, and includes all the patterns. However, the instructions were very difficult to follow, likely as I am new to sewing. This book is probably ideal for a more experienced sewist.
Kiery
Mar 13, 2012 Kiery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, sewing
I HAVE TO BUY THIS BOOK!!!!! It's FANTASTIC! Very clear directions, great patterns and AWESOME fabrics! I can't even believe it! So much better than those Simply Sublime books I read last week!
Meredith
Feb 05, 2013 Meredith rated it really liked it
Although her patterns are often fussy, I appreciate her attention to detail because it leads to a polished finished product. I haven't yet made anything from this book, but I hope to.
Amanda Brouwer
Jun 05, 2011 Amanda Brouwer rated it liked it
Gorgeous book, gorgeous fabric. Sometimes you just worry that the loose patterns in the back aren't going to make it back to the library after checkout.
Kelly
Nov 23, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty nice. I didn't copy any of the patterns and don't plan to make any of the bags. Glad I checked it out of the library, rather than buying it.
Laureen
Dec 15, 2010 Laureen rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
not for the amateur (myself). There is maybe one project in here that I do want to tackle and know that I can do it. The others, not so much...
Anne
Mar 07, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
Gorgeous photography and styling make this a really fun book to look through, but I don't come away wanting to make any of the bags.
Lucinda
Nov 10, 2011 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book complete with 26 patterns of really cute purses! I will attempt to sew one next summer but not before then.
Tandie
Dec 17, 2012 Tandie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, sew-crafty
Fun bags from Amy Butler. I actually sewed one for my mom, the shopping tote. Many projects are that easy. Patterns included.
Christie
Nov 01, 2010 Christie rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I like making bags, but Amy Butler makes me want to make bags.
Mandy
Nov 20, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
cute, but not in the mood to make a new purse right now.
Erika
Oct 13, 2010 Erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing
Good book with some good designs.
Harmony Cater
Sep 19, 2012 Harmony Cater rated it it was amazing
Love this book
always blessed
always blessed is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear
  • The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • "A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Improv Sewing: A Freeform Approach to Creative Techniques; 101 Fast, Fun, and Fearless Projects: Dresses, Tunics, Scarves, Skirts, Accessories, Pillows, Curtains, and More
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist