Start by marking “Sleepwalker” as Want to Read:
Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker

Daniel Weber ("Web" to his friends) was a promising young biology student on the fast track to a prestigious grad program. That was a year and a half ago. Now he's working a dead-end security job and living in his cousin's two-flat. Thanks to the mysterious George, he's got gaps in his memory too big for his pocket notebook to fill.

Jesse Ray Jones is the taxidermist who's
Published June 18th 2010 by JCP Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Sleepwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepwalker

Kaje Harper
Sep 06, 2011 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
I loved this story. The narrator is a young man coping with a brain tumor which causes moments of fugue and amnesia. In another writer's hands this would have been a tear-jerker. With Price's light touch, it becomes a sweet, engrossing and satisfying mystery with romance and self-deprecating humor. The little twist at the end explains a question most readers will have held in mind throughout the story (especially if you know anything about meningiomas being generally surgically treatable.) Highl ...more
Kelly
Dec 31, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

This was a really good m/m mystery suspense full of quirky characters and a sweet romance. I could have easily gone with five stars but I thought the ending was a bit abrupt. Other then that a very fun read!
Mel
Jun 17, 2010 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, e-book, favorites
Web lives in small town Faris. He works in a museum that’s too big for the town, lives on the top floor of his cousin’s apartment and then there’s George too…
When the Faris museum is taken into consideration to be granted a much needed subsidy, Web and all his colleagues are expected to help enhance the image of the died out museum. Web doesn’t really mind, because the taxidermist hired to clean up the artifacts turns out to be a real catch.
But then something shocking happens…

Sleepwalker was
Elizabetta

Wow, this was a treat. With a paranormal feel but not a paranormal. Well developed likable characters who have a magnetic attraction but didn’t hop to it immediately, and some dark humor mixed in. All packaged in a nice little mystery based in sleepy, small-town middle-America.

So, Dan Weber (call him Web) is a security guard at a dusty old natural history museum in his quiet hometown. He’s sharp and resourceful and his job doesn’t nearly meet his expectations in life— he was a promising college
J.L. Merrow
Jul 05, 2010 J.L. Merrow rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one from JCP. A vulnerable protagonist, and a love interest who's willing to accept him warts and all. Secondary characters who were for the most part fully rounded, and a damning indictment of the US healthcare system as well! ;)
Vanessa North
Dec 26, 2014 Vanessa North rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly sweet murder mystery novella. Funny, poignant, and sexy, this book manages to offer some strong social messages without being preachy or condescending. Loved it, and highly recommend.
Jordan Price
Jun 17, 2010 Jordan Price marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
A lot of elements I've been wanting to write about for ages came together and culminated in this book. I'm planning a sequel.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Jan 27, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: A.J. Llewellyn
Daniel "Web" Weber is another great J.C. Price's narrator. He's funny and kind of sweet and as focused as he can ever be, since he has George to share his life with. He works as a guard in a museum who is going to be closed if it's not granted a contribution by a benefactor. To keep the museum alive, the management is trying to revive the outer appearance of the museum. Jesse Ray Jones is the taxidermist who is called to do a little bit of last minute make-up on the exhibits.

Web and Jesse are i
Smokinhotbooks K.C.
Jul 06, 2010 Smokinhotbooks K.C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I adored Jordan Castillo Price psy-cop series so of course I had to buy Sleepwalker.

Web works as a night as a dead-end security job. In the beginning you'll often be wondering who is George? Is Web crazy? George is Web's nickname for his brain tumor, once a promising grad student he now has to write things down and can't even remember his sister in-laws name. He meets Jesse Ray Jones a taxidermist who is there to help Faris Natural Sciences Center secure the MAHPS Grant. Web can't seem to take
Ami
Jun 20, 2010 Ami rated it liked it
I had a hard time going into this story, compared to any other of Ms. Price's books. Maybe it's the setting or maybe it's the strange introduction of 'George' (once I know who Web means by 'George', it's a lot easier to continue). It's an interesting story, that's for sure, there is some social issues in here, including the health bill and insurance. All in all, a different story and while it's not my all time favorite but not a total bust for me.
Deanna
Jun 17, 2010 Deanna rated it liked it
I thought this was going to be a scary/horror type book.....nope! At least not to me. It was interesting, I liked the MC (and George), but something just didn't click for me. There were some awkward scenes/dialogue that I had to reread to make sense of them.

In the end, a mediocre JCP is better then a lot of books I have read.....so there ya go :)
Hollis Shiloh
Jan 31, 2016 Hollis Shiloh rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable and kept me guessing! I wanted more by the time it ended.
Christy Duke
Aug 05, 2014 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Jordan Castillo Price. Her writing is gritty, dark, and usually has a layer of sarcasm and very dry humor. Her world building is imaginative in that it's almost always running parallel to reality, except for one small detail. Oh, you know, psychics, vampires, etc. I'll be honest and admit that when the author ran a discount on her website, I jumped in and grabbed a bunch that I hadn't read yet. Lucky you, y'all will benefit, too, cause I'm writing reviews! *grins*

Web has a temp
Tameiki
Jun 18, 2010 Tameiki rated it really liked it
This story took me a while to get into. It started slowly and I felt like I was sleep walking myself trying to make sense out of the snippets of information the author only gave out in tiny increments so I could get the whole picture. She builds on it slowly so you can take in all the little details.

If it weren't for the fact that this was written by Jordan Castille Price, and I know from her PsyCop series that she will deliver a very well written story, I might not have continued past the firs
Feliz
Sep 30, 2010 Feliz rated it really liked it
Another sweet romance by JCP, right in the sleeve of "Sympathy". Remarkably little sex, but wonderful emotions. The fate Web, the first person narrator, has to endure, is creepy to imagine: walking around with big hunks of time just missing, keeping notes of how his almost-sister-in -law is called or how and when he's been together with his boyfriend.

The actual mystery was solid handiwork, particularly the way Web and Jesse were tangled into it.

Some things were really far-fetched, though, and t
Jan 25, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This was a great read. I liked the characters. All of them. This could have been a lot longer though. I would have liked to get more involved with Web and what he's going through. The mystery was fun but I would have liked to know more about the lives of the characters. This one could definitely have as sequel.
Julesmarie
Jun 26, 2014 Julesmarie rated it really liked it
Fantastically original setting and unique characters. This was thoroughly enjoyable to read.

Favorite Quotes:
"Lose your job. Fuck it. Figure out the details when they come to you. Go do what you've always wanted to do."

I tried to bite back a laugh, but it slipped out anyway in the way laughter does when it's completely inappropriate.
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Very good m/m romantic suspense about a night watchmen at a decrepit natural history museum who has a weakness for the skatepunk taxidermist brought in for some last minute exhibit cleanup. (Jordan reports that the followup book will be called Insomniac.)
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
I LOVE JCP! Gah, every one of her stories. She writes these unique and original characters, but they're like regular folks, too. I don't know. Let me not try to explain cuz I suck at it.
I loved this story. Jesse tickled me and was so perfect for Web.
Recommend.
K
Aug 13, 2010 K rated it really liked it
This was a rather sweet story. Loved the slightly creepy setting of a run-down museum. Loved that Web talks to George. Um, I just loved the whole thing :)

ttg
Jun 18, 2012 ttg rated it really liked it
Very good m/m mystery suspense novella about Web, a former biology student who is working as a security guard for a local natural science center and living in the top apartment at his cousin's place.

Web's main conflict and secret from most people outside of his family is that he doesn't know when "George" will take over--George is the brain tumor that causes him to spontaneously "sleepwalk" and lose time, living but not knowing what he's doing, and not remembering what he did during those lost m
Josephine Myles
Aug 14, 2010 Josephine Myles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, romance, mystery
I just loved Sleepwalker! I agree with other reviewers that it started slowly, but this wasn't a problem as I loved the chance to get to know the narrator, Web, and the atmospheric setting of the museum at night. I hadn't read any reviews, and couldn't remember the blurb, so I wasn't sure if I was going to be reading a paranormal story. I wasn't in the least bit disappointed that this was a contemporary mystery, though.

What made Sleepwalker such a great read for me were the two central character
Queue
Nov 09, 2015 Queue rated it really liked it

Sleepwalker was a fascinating read that I didn’t want to put down until the very end.

Jordan Castillo Price crafted an awesome novella here with a truly original main character.

Daniel ‘Web’ Weber is a security guard at a failing small town natural sciences center. He used to have a life but thanks to a brain tumor he’s named George he doesn’t do much beside work. One of the reasons is that George leaves him with large time gaps in his memory. He doesn’t know what he does or where he goes
Danielle
Jun 30, 2010 Danielle rated it it was ok
While I thought this book was decent, I wasn't really that drawn into the story. George confused me for the longest time until it was explained to us. I also thought that the story progressed somewhat slowly. There really wasn't that much forward action to keep it going. We are just moseying along before we hit the murder.

I also had a problem with the main character. I just didn't really care that much about Web. His personality didn't seem that distinctive, and I couldn't really connect. He str
LD  Durham
Jun 17, 2010 LD Durham rated it really liked it
Recommended to LD by: Carvedwood
Shelves: gay-fiction
I'm still waiting to read a Price book I don't like.

Web is a character I couldn't help but love. I wanted to squish him and pet him and call him George. Jesse was a perfect compliment to him. All the supporting characters were just as much fun and fleshed out into real people. The mystery, though short, was fun and I totally fell for the red herring. Loved it!

In the end, the romance and Web's condition were left open-ended and I was okay with that. Price made sure I was okay with it by making me
Plainbrownwrapper
Aug 20, 2012 Plainbrownwrapper rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Some notes while I read --

Price does have some great ideas. Definitely not a lot of cliches here. A taxidermist and a security guard with a brain tumor that he calls "George"?? Really?? ;-)

Also --

“You’re on my hair,” Jesse groaned.

Finally!! All these frickin' romances talk about how wonderful and sexy long hair is, and how one of the lovers dreams about his partner's hair cascading around him and so on -- but NOBODY talks about how ANNOYING long hair can be, and how it gets tangled up EVERYWHERE
Tricia
May 26, 2013 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle_lendable
I love this author, the Psycop Series is an all time favorite. Because I gave the those stories four stars, I have to give sleepwalker three and one-half stars. Maybe I should round up?
This was a fun story to read, I liked the main character and his particular condition was unique. How a brain tumor is humorous can only be answered by reading the story. My only disappointment is that the story was short and prevented deep involvement with the characters (which I was hopeful for after reading Psy
Tara
You know, It's hard for JCP to do wrong by me so i may be biased! I thought this was great. I just loved Web. Sweet, quirky, funny, slightly damaged. (he does sort of remind me of Vic from the PsyCop series). Then there is Jesse who is a sort of mystery to me but still very likable. The secondary characters are great too (Alex, George and what's her name :)... ) I'm glad there will be more of these and I look forward to them.

I have to say there is something very reminiscent of PsyCop so don't w
Holly
Nov 02, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
Nice little novella about a night-watchmen with a "George" (don't want to spoil), the taxidermist he meets during a museum restoration and the murder mystery they stumble into. I really wish it had been longer, a full novel, but for what it was it was very enjoyable. I don't think I've read anything by JCP I have not liked and this was no exception.

I really felt for the narrative character and understand totally his reason for his reactions and plans for "George". I can't say I would have done a
Natalie
Sep 02, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
Jordan Castillo P...: Sleepwalker 9 21 Jul 09, 2014 05:56PM
  • The Dark Horse  (The Dark Horse, #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check
More about Jordan Castillo Price...

“If life’s taught me anything, it’s that you might as well eat your dessert first, ’cos the ceiling might fall in before you’re even done with the salad.” 0 likes