Start by marking “Waking Dragons: A Martial Artist Faces His Ultimate Test” as Want to Read:
Waking Dragons: A Martial Artist Faces His Ultimate Test

Waking Dragons: A Martial Artist Faces His Ultimate Test

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The 30 Man Kumite is one of karate's toughest tests, reserved for senior black belts with years of experience. One person fights a line-up of thirty fighters, one after another, full contact, moving up the grades to face the strongest, most dangerous fighters last. Waking Dragons is a true account of Goran Powell's 30 Man Kumite and the lifetime of martial arts that led up ...more
Published May 19th 2010 by Createspace (first published April 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Waking Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Dragons

Goran Powell
Feb 21, 2009 Goran Powell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm the author of this book so rather than review it, I'll just tell you what it's about.

In karate, the 30 Man Kumite is a test that involves fighting 30 people in a row for one minute each in a full contact bout. The book is my own experience of the test. It includes the lifetime of martial arts training that went into it and the experiences and lessons learned from it. You don't need to know anything about martial arts to understand it - and hopefully enjoy it!
Pam
Waking Dragons originally captured my attention since it is about the martial arts and I am a student of Moo Duk Kwan. The author, Goran Powell, a lifelong devotee of the martial arts, tells his story from starting Judo as a young boy to facing his ultimate challenge... a 30-man kumite. (A 30-man kumite is a test in which one person, Powell, fights 30 fresh well-trained black belts one after the other.)

Martial arts ooze from the pages. But as we follow Powell on his amazing journey, something ma
tinabot
Miroku Nemeth
I read the entire book the same day I received in the mail. It's a great read. As a lifelong martial artist who has trained (though not extensively) in Shotokan Karate as a teenager and Goju Ryu Karate as an adult (as well as Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Muay Thai, Ninjutsu, CHA-3 Kenpo, Doce Pares Eskrima, etc--and many of these arts extensively), I very much appreciated his narrative of lifelong training in martial arts--from his childhood and on through the decades of his life, along with the va ...more
Whitepixels
An autobiographical account of a martial artist, spanning about 30 years - from his judo training as a kid to the ultimate test of facing thirty opponents in Goju-ryu karate. A great read for those involved with martial arts, but I guess it can be enjoyed even by people who don't do sports - it shows that you can reach anything that is humanly possible if you are dedicated enough. Of course, strength, skill, talent count as well, but the most important thing is dedication.
Tim
A great karateka memoir. It is well-paced,honest,and--for me--interesting and inspiring.
Basho
Having been to a few of these events, and seen the punishment the Karateka go through, I can attest that this is a very accurate and honest account, well written and insightful.

KA Wyk
It's a little over a year since I read this book and I remember enjoying it immensely. I'm planning to read it again so I will write a review when I've finished it.
Matt
One of my favourite personal journey, Martial arts reads.
A MUST have.
Vimal Bhojwani
Vimal Bhojwani marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Paul Miller
Paul Miller marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Sorobai
Sorobai marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Rotar Ozana
Rotar Ozana marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Hashim Aziz
Hashim Aziz marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Mark Davenport
Mark Davenport marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goran is a writer who holds a 5th Dan in Goju Ryu Karate. He lives in London and teaches and trains at Daigaku Karate Kai, one of the UK's strongest clubs. In 2006 his first book Waking Dragons was an instant bestseller on Amazon's martial arts listing and is now in its second edition. In 2008 he co-produced the highly acclaimed Four Shades of Black written by his Sensei Gavin Mulholland.

Goran's
More about Goran Powell...
A Sudden Dawn: A Martial Arts Novel: 1 Chojun Matryoshka: Love is a weapon The Flower & The Bee