Personal Foul: A First-Person Account of the Scandal that Rocked the NBA

Personal Foul: A First-Person Account of the Scandal that Rocked the NBA

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The media has often speculated and sports fans have debated, but until now no one has known the real story. Personal Foul takes an in-depth look at former NBA referee Tim Donaghy and the betting scandal that rocked professional basketball. This is the decisive book that reveals exactly what was done and how it all happened. Which games were affected and how? Did referees t...more
Published June 29th 2010 by Four Daughters LLC (first published June 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Personal Foul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personal Foul

Justin Mitchell
The most interesting bad book I've ever read. Donaghy is clearly not a very nice person, the embodiment of the jock jerk-bag who never grew out of it, which bleeds through even as he constantly tries to show that he's some sort of a fallen angel or something. He's also a horrible writer, piling laughable cliche over laughable cliche and peppering them with clumsy, ungainly, and inexpressive metaphors. However, as a huge fan of professional basketball, I found his insider's look into how referees...more
Neal
I'm not sure how much to believe about this book, as Donaghy comes off as having a huge ego, to say the least. He constantly stresses that while he bet on games, he never "fixed" them and that there is a difference. While much of the book can be believed and is disheartening to NBA fans, the overall measure of what to believe is unknown.

What sticks out is the info on the often debated Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals, where everyone knows the Kings got hosed by the refs.

Worth a read...more
Frank M Williams II
This really does explain a lot!

This book has a lot of information about the NAB and the cronyism that is obvious to so many. My barber told me years ago that it was ALL fixed. Sad. Sad. Sad.
Scott Herrigstad
A great read for anyone who watches or works in the NBA. I believe Donaghy is a better person for having this experience and has done a service to all by writing the book. I believe it often takes a good dose of humility to become a better person.
Josh
A refeshingly honest account of someone who made a mistake. At times funny, at others serious, it was a great liik into the true culture of the NBA.
David Villarreal
Makes you think about some of the calls that are happening during the NBA season. Knowing the refs can be biased kills the game for me.
Jon Galanis
credible? maybe. well written? not really. intriguing? absolutely. I think this is a must read for NBA fans.
Greg Newman
Interesting insight into the NBA. Confirms what I have thought all along.
Scott
IN FIVE WORDS - DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER, LISTEN
WAM WAM
lakers - miami.
lakers in 6.
James Lanham ii
James Lanham ii marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Steve Chanin
Steve Chanin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Ryan Mullaney
Ryan Mullaney marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Dan Balash
Dan Balash marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Frankie
Frankie marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Personal Foul Personal Foul Blowing the Whistle: The Culture of Fraud in the NBA